daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 8th, 2007, 11:31 PM   #1001
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Had to run an errand for my boss. Walked past 135 N Penn and saw that Curves is closed. But then I pass 115, the Consolidated Building. I realize it needs some work but any idea of development here? It is such an eye-sore in it's current state. It was built in 1910 and is 15 stories tall.

Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2007, 12:00 AM   #1002
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Likes (Received): 0

One INDIANA Square...

A new look in skyscraper's future...

Where: Indiana Square, a 36-story office building built in 1970. Third-tallest in Indianapolis behind Chase and OneAmerica towers, according to emporis.com.

What: Indiana Square will look more like a modern glass high-rise office when its facelift is completed in 2009.

Horizontal beams will be attached to the existing vertical beams along the outside of the building, creating a sort of frame for new sheets of double-pane glass.

The new sleek skin will extend 18 inches from the current frame in some places. From the inside of the building, workers will take out the old windows and panels that comprise the existing exterior of the building.

They will insert panels to close the 18-inch gap between the old floor plates and the new windows

What i wanna know is why this building is but 36 stories when it's close to 550 ft. high? It doesn't make too much sense to me ya know. That means the floors are like 15 ft. high a piece! Damn.
Old June 9th, 2007, 12:15 AM   #1003
DMD_Landscape
Live from Downtown Indy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminooo View Post
Re: Calvary Church/School on Fletcher.

I just found this post on craigslist and thought it might be them.. I found it interesting.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/wan/347551356.html

Hello! We are a small church located in the downtown area with a Christian school ministry that has been around for 33 years. The downtown area is growing, however, it is growing with condo's and business folk with no children. It is getting harder to reach the families wanting to send their children to a private christian school being located directly downtown. We would love to relocate. Our building is very old with many problems. We are willing to sell our building and land, (which is worth a fortune for condo's). We need land. If we sell our building, we can rebuild, however, that doesn't include the cost of land which is pricey. Whether your looking for commercial land (ours is already zoned) or looking to be benevolent and donate land to our cause, please contact us! We want our ministry to grow and give families a chance to introduce their children to a private education in a christian environment with loving teachers and small attentive classroom settings. Do you know of someone with land? Or do you know of someone interested in purchasing a downtown prime commercial real estate property? Please respond by returning this email. We'll answer any questions that you have or set up a meeting.
DMD_Landscape no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2007, 01:50 AM   #1004
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
Had to run an errand for my boss. Walked past 135 N Penn and saw that Curves is closed. But then I pass 115, the Consolidated Building. I realize it needs some work but any idea of development here? It is such an eye-sore in it's current state. It was built in 1910 and is 15 stories tall.

that structure has so much potential. It stands between two modern buildings, and looks like such a jewl! The structures boarded up lobby is an eyesore, some retail and bars/restraunts would do well there, and the rest of the structure could be converted into condos, office space, apartments, etc, etc. Its really prime retail, I'm suprised it hasent been renovated already! But, not to fear, I think it will be renovated soon(especially with the downtown market)
its on the waiting list.
Old June 9th, 2007, 02:51 AM   #1005
Wu-Gambino

Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
My understanding is that there will be LED lighting across the top.
Speaking of lighting, did they stop illuminating the top of the Chase Tower?
Wu-Gambino no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2007, 03:07 AM   #1006
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptown View Post
Speaking of lighting, did they stop illuminating the top of the Chase Tower?
I'm not sure what the schedule is on that... I think they turn it off at a certain hour.
Old June 9th, 2007, 03:08 AM   #1007
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Classy hotel eats; New Conrad Restuarant opens

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...NT02/706080303
Old June 9th, 2007, 03:13 AM   #1008
jtsnewo56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
that structure has so much potential. It stands between two modern buildings, and looks like such a jewl! The structures boarded up lobby is an eyesore, some retail and bars/restraunts would do well there, and the rest of the structure could be converted into condos, office space, apartments, etc, etc. Its really prime retail, I'm suprised it hasent been renovated already! But, not to fear, I think it will be renovated soon(especially with the downtown market)
its on the waiting list.

I'd imagine that any new development there would have to deal with the flooding issue that plagued the Downtown comics while it was at that location.
jtsnewo56 no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2007, 03:15 AM   #1009
jtsnewo56

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post
Classy hotel eats; New Conrad Restuarant opens

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...NT02/706080303
Its about freaking time. I've only been delivering loads upon loads of fish and other stuff there for weeks.

As for the meet, I would love to make it even though I'm a relatively new poster. I've been lurking for waht seems liek forever, but I will be in Oklahoma City that weekend, so no dice.

Arenn: What do you think of the proposal to widen the ramp from I-69S to 465W? Seems that it should have been built that way.
jtsnewo56 no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2007, 03:29 AM   #1010
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsnewo56 View Post
Arenn: What do you think of the proposal to widen the ramp from I-69S to 465W? Seems that it should have been built that way.
This project is like a band aid on a patient that is spurting blood from a severed limb.

INDOT is spending $20 million over the next three years on a series of projects like this on I-69 to try to alleviate congestion as an interim measure prior to starting the real I-69 project in something like 2014.

The problem is that I-69 can't be widened until I-465 is widened to accomodate it. That's not scheduled to start until 2013 and I believe the interchange reconstruction is part of that. I'm not certain why the delay. An EIS has been completed and signed off, so it's not like the environmental paperwork isn't complete or something. I suspect INDOT simply lacks the institutional capacity to push through too many projects at the same time. They are sized for a certain budget, and isn't necessarily a simple matter of just letting contracts to get projects under way. Plus the entire "highway industrial complex" surrounding them of consultants, contractors, concrete companies, aggregate suppliers, etc. is likewise sized. It will take a while for everyone to ramp up.

Having said that, excepting the I-465 west leg project, all of the Indianapolis area major projects are backloaded into the Major Moves plan, making them subject to many risks. I'm not going to count anything as a certainty until the concrete is poured.

So while I don't expect this to do a lot, it is something, which is way better than nothing. It's up to local leaders to keep the pressure on INDOT to fix I-69 in Fishers, which is clearly the most congested freeway segment in the state now that the Borman is fixed, for real as quickly as possible.
Old June 9th, 2007, 03:42 AM   #1011
billionbucks
Colts Fan

I take I-69 and W465 N/S when I come between Indy and Muncie... I'm just not looking forward to the construction - but if it sounds like it'll be a while unti it begins, maybe I'll be gone by then. The traffic really is horrible as soon as you hit the Noblesville/Fishers area - I try to avoid rush hour by a few hours.
Old June 9th, 2007, 06:18 AM   #1012
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
INDOT is spending $20 million over the next three years on a series of projects like this on I-69 to try to alleviate congestion as an interim measure prior to starting the real I-69 project in something like 2014.
What's the real I-69 project?
cityfan no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #1013
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan View Post
The Indy-Evansville extension. Construction of the southernmost link is scheduled to start in a year or so.
cjfjapan no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2007, 04:32 PM   #1014
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan View Post
There is a $400-500 million plan to completely redesign and replace I-69 in the northeast corridor from I-465 to Exit 10. That is supposedly funded as part of Major Moves, but the project tables only show the first tranche in Marion County. It is slated to begin in 2014.
Old June 9th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #1015
Unionstation13

I came across this website that had alot of VERY OLD postcards of Indianapolis.
Here is one of the previouse statecapitol(pre-1880s)
and the old courhouse, ah what a beauty she was! the courthouse one looks like its in a european city.

look how small the state capitol building is compared to the courthouse!
Just a little fact, Lincolns casket was layed in the statehouse for one of his many funerals he had.
Old June 10th, 2007, 12:55 AM   #1016
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

cool find. It's so crazy to think of how our cities were back then... horses, dirt roads, etc.
Old June 10th, 2007, 01:10 AM   #1017
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMark View Post
cool find. It's so crazy to think of how our cities were back then... horses, dirt roads, etc.
And bushels of road apples, outhouses like dandelions, and no environmental laws. Ah, the good old days!

A very few pics I took on a bicycle ride this afternoon down to Indy Pride and the Talbott Street Fair. Yes, I was the jerk dragging his bike through the crowds! Sorry about the spot...

From the 16th Street Bridge over White River

From the Central Canal

Conrad, Emmis and S&SM

Riley Towers and the soon to be reclad...what is it called again? Indiana National Bank Tower? NBD? NationsBank? ahh - found it - Indiana Square.

Last edited by cjfjapan; June 10th, 2007 at 03:33 AM.
cjfjapan no está en línea  
Old June 10th, 2007, 03:39 AM   #1018
Paintrain

those pictures are really good
Paintrain no está en línea  
Old June 10th, 2007, 04:38 AM   #1019
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjfjapan View Post
And bushels of road apples, outhouses like dandelions, and no environmental laws. Ah, the good old days!

]
Yes LOL
But there were so many good things aswell,
the urban density, people filled space up! The beautiful buildings, the german influence!
Old June 10th, 2007, 04:41 AM   #1020
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

I'd give anything to have lived in Indianapolis between 1890 and 1960.
benjaminooo no está en línea  

Closed Thread