daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 11th, 2007, 11:20 PM   #1041
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post
a wiki on Indianapolis development? Sounds like a good idea. I created the page on Irvington and work on it every once in a while

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irvingt...toric_District

It's not that hard to get the hang of it.
I meant to respond to this sooner, sorry. :-)

I was actually referring to a wiki not a page on Wikipedia. Since some of the topics we discuss are of a transient nature I'm not sure they would survive on Wikipedia. It would be nice to have our own site to edit and post data on. It wouldn't be a site to replace the forums, just somewhere to point people to for facts. I see it growing into a more detailed, Indy-specific version of Emporis. We gather a lot of data worth chronicling here. Much of the rest of the data is already out there, it just needs to be compiled.

lostpedia.com, which chronicles the complex TV series "Lost" is one of my favorite examples.

I've been researching options. I'll let everyone know if it seems viable in the next couple of months.
ablerock no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2007, 01:54 AM   #1042
IndyBob

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post

I was actually referring to a wiki not a page on Wikipedia. Since some of the topics we discuss are of a transient nature I'm not sure they would survive on Wikipedia. It would be nice to have our own site to edit and post data on. It wouldn't be a site to replace the forums, just somewhere to point people to for facts. I see it growing into a more detailed, Indy-specific version of Emporis. We gather a lot of data worth chronicling here. Much of the rest of the data is already out there, it just needs to be compiled.

lostpedia.com, which chronicles the complex TV series "Lost" is one of my favorite examples.

I've been researching options. I'll let everyone know if it seems viable in the next couple of months.

I believe there is open source wiki software available from Wikipedia - the same stuff that powers their website.
IndyBob no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 02:00 AM   #1043
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2h View Post
Can someone with a comprehensive knowledge of current/proposed development projects compile a list and post? I think it would be good for everyone to give input on what projects he/she would like to see when we meet on the 7th. We can then narrow down the top choices, prepare an agenda, and map out the sites to plan the best tour route.
I can provide a few of the more obvious projects that we should definitely hit on the 7th meetup:

1) Lucas Oil Stadium

2) Central Library expansion

3) Three Mass Avenue

4) Cultural Trail construction on Alabama Street

5) IUPUI construction projects (IU Cancer Center expansion, Riley Hospital expansion, Student Union)
hoosier no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 02:52 AM   #1044
k2h

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post

I think this is a great idea.
k2h no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 03:19 AM   #1045
IndyYeah

Hi1 Thanks for the welcomes. I remember my first trip downtown, before I was in the service, they were still building the Hoosier Dome. Off the top of my head that old Flatiron Building was a gem, I guess 3 Mass is somewhat modeled from that. I should hit Emporis, but you all that great gem that was part of Indy! Thanks again.
IndyYeah no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 03:30 AM   #1046
k2h

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
I can provide a few of the more obvious projects that we should definitely hit on the 7th meetup:

1) Lucas Oil Stadium

2) Central Library expansion

3) Three Mass Avenue

4) Cultural Trail construction on Alabama Street

5) IUPUI construction projects (IU Cancer Center expansion, Riley Hospital expansion, Student Union)

Including the projects hoosier has posted above, below are a few of the projects i would like to see (categorized by quadrant):

Northwest Quadrant:

Northern end of canal
Buggs Temple Redevelopment
IU Health & Sciences Building
Fairbanks Hall

IUPUI (projects accessible via Red Line Circulator)
IUPUI Campus Center
IU School of Medicine Expansion
IU Cancer Center
Riley Hospital Expansion

Southwest Quadrant: (projects accessible via Blue Line Circulator)
J.W. Marriott Hotel & Towers
Lucas Oil Stadium

Southeast Quadrant: (projects accessible via Blue Line Circulator)
Victoria Centre Condominiums

Northeast Quadrant:
Central Library Expansion
City Market / MSA site (project accessible via Blue/Red Line Circulator)
Cultural Trail - Alabama Street (project accessible via Blue/Red Line Circulator)
Three Mass Ave (project accessible via Blue/Red Line Circulator)
757 Mass Ave
707 East North Street Condiminiums
Lockerbie Park

As you can see, i have labeled projects that are located in close proximity to the downtown circulator bus stops. I am hoping we can walk and/or utilize public transit for most of the tour. For those of you planning to join, let me know your thoughts.
k2h no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 03:47 AM   #1047
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Good list k2h. Also wanted to point out that everybody can easily get from the IUPUI projects to the canal projects on the people mover.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 03:57 AM   #1048
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
Good list k2h. Also wanted to point out that everybody can easily get from the IUPUI projects to the canal projects on the people mover.
that thing is public?
Old June 12th, 2007, 04:03 AM   #1049
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
that thing is public?
Hell yeah. The city allowed them to use the city street ROW in exchange for it being open to the public. Of course, they don't advertise that fact!
CorrND no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 04:54 AM   #1050
DMD_Landscape
Live from Downtown Indy!

Quote:
Including the projects hoosier has posted above, below are a few of the projects i would like to see (categorized by quadrant):

Northwest Quadrant:

Northern end of canal
Buggs Temple Redevelopment
IU Health & Sciences Building
Fairbanks Hall

IUPUI (projects accessible via Red Line Circulator)
IUPUI Campus Center
IU School of Medicine Expansion
IU Cancer Center
Riley Hospital Expansion

Southwest Quadrant: (projects accessible via Blue Line Circulator)
J.W. Marriott Hotel & Towers
Lucas Oil Stadium

Southeast Quadrant: (projects accessible via Blue Line Circulator)
Victoria Centre Condominiums

Northeast Quadrant:
Central Library Expansion
City Market / MSA site (project accessible via Blue/Red Line Circulator)
Cultural Trail - Alabama Street (project accessible via Blue/Red Line Circulator)
Three Mass Ave (project accessible via Blue/Red Line Circulator)
757 Mass Ave
707 East North Street Condiminiums
Lockerbie Park

As you can see, i have labeled projects that are located in close proximity to the downtown circulator bus stops. I am hoping we can walk and/or utilize public transit for most of the tour. For those of you planning to join, let me know your thoughts.
Victoria Center Condos? What is that? I've not heard anything about that. Where is it?
DMD_Landscape no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 05:00 AM   #1051
DMD_Landscape
Live from Downtown Indy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBob View Post
I'll go if DMD_Landscape goes. And I second the Rathskeller.
Okay, I hear a positive Rathskeller vibe, and IndyBob is saying he's coming if I am. I'm in. What was the date again?
DMD_Landscape no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 05:12 AM   #1052
jtsnewo56

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMD_Landscape View Post
Victoria Center Condos? What is that? I've not heard anything about that. Where is it?
Victoria Center is 22 E Washington Correct? Odd I was not aware of any condos in that building. I do know that they opened a barber shop in there recently though.
jtsnewo56 no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 05:14 AM   #1053
jtsnewo56

A quick google search turned up this on IDI:

http://www.indydt.com/victoria.html
jtsnewo56 no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #1054
k2h

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMD_Landscape View Post

See attached photo. The Victoria Centre Condominiums are planned for the reddish-colored brick structure.

http://miborpicturesweb2.marketlinx....r2551747-8.jpg
k2h no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 06:58 AM   #1055
k2h

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
Thanks CorrND. The people mover is a good idea. Do you know if it is in operation on Saturdays?
k2h no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #1056
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

2 Questions!

1) Is that small 3 story building next to the Victoria Centre where that new ethnic restaurant is going? If so i think that's reeeally rad!

2) Is the Victoria Centre also known as the "Symphony Center" im just curious? If so, i would LOVE to buy a condo in that lovely building when im older!
Old June 12th, 2007, 07:13 AM   #1057
k2h

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiexInxIndy View Post
1) Is that small 3 story building next to the Victoria Centre where that new ethnic restaurant is going? If so i think that's reeeally rad!

2) Is the Victoria Centre also known as the "Symphony Center" im just curious? If so, i would LOVE to buy a condo in that lovely building when im older!
The answer to your second question in no. The Symphony Centre is the taller structure next to the Victoria Centre. See attached.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=118694
k2h no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 07:37 AM   #1058
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

SOOO?

You're telling me the Vic. Centre isn't the tall one with like 17 floors? Which one is it then?
Old June 12th, 2007, 04:45 PM   #1059
altfelix

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiexInxIndy View Post
You're telling me the Vic. Centre isn't the tall one with like 17 floors? Which one is it then?
This one: http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=...napolis-in-usa
altfelix no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #1060
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Thanks CorrND. The people mover is a good idea. Do you know if it is in operation on Saturdays?
The People Mover has at least one train moving every day during the day but I forget the exact hours of operation. Even if it's not running regular intervals, it should be available from the on-call button (this is so the few people that need to go between hospitals overnight can still move around). If you want to use it during on-call times, you might have to wait a little while since I think it parks at the Methodist end.

And while I'm talking about the People Mover, I'll mention that they're currently working on the walkway connection between the canal station and Fairbanks Hall.

EDIT: From Clarian's webpage:

"The People Mover is free and open to the public, as well as Clarian employees. It runs from 5:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week. After 10 p.m. one train docks for maintenance and the other train is "on-call," during which time riders must push a button to call the train and take a ride."

Last edited by CorrND; June 12th, 2007 at 05:42 PM.
CorrND no está en línea  

Closed Thread