daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 12th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #1061
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

this is a great row of buildings, I hope the structure next door to the white building is fixed up. Its a great set of buildings, and now that the little structure next to the symphony building is being restored, this could truely become a very amazing little bubble of buildings, and if they demolished the ugly short buildings past the old brick one, and filled it with something bitching, now if the sidewalks were crowded with outdoor cafes, it would ****** rock.
Washington street is one of our main streets, it needs to be fixed up, they need to work on making it very attractive, and fill in the lots between structures with tastefull infill or good urban projects.
Once that is finished, a street car should go down the middle, and they should have more public artwork, etc, on the street, four streets that need this treatment, washington, meridian, market, and Illinois.

Last edited by Unionstation13; June 12th, 2007 at 07:13 PM.
Unionstation13 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2007, 07:59 PM   #1062
indyfiend
INDYFIEND

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post

this is a great row of buildings, I hope the structure next door to the white building is fixed up. Its a great set of buildings, and now that the little structure next to the symphony building is being restored, this could truely become a very amazing little bubble of buildings, and if they demolished the ugly short buildings past the old brick one, and filled it with something bitching, now if the sidewalks were crowded with outdoor cafes, it would ****** rock.
Washington street is one of our main streets, it needs to be fixed up, they need to work on making it very attractive, and fill in the lots between structures with tastefull infill or good urban projects.
Once that is finished, a street car should go down the middle, and they should have more public artwork, etc, on the street, four streets that need this treatment, washington, meridian, market, and Illinois.
I've always loved this row of buildings because it's truly old school Indy. If the entire row could be fixed up it would be fantastic!
indyfiend no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #1063
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

[QUOTE=

Once that is finished, a street car should go down the middle, and they should have more public artwork, etc, on the street, four streets that need this treatment, washington, meridian, market, and Illinois.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you! BTW, you said a naughty word. He-He-He
Old June 12th, 2007, 08:02 PM   #1064
indyfiend
INDYFIEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
I agree with you! BTW, you said a naughty word. He-He-He
I know!! Can you believe Unionstation said "Demolished"!
indyfiend no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #1065
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfiend View Post
I know!! Can you believe Unionstation said "Demolished"!
past the ally, the only thing needing preservation is the 3 story brick building, and the view of the monument, and maybe(but highly unlikey) the brick one painted a grey color, but probably not. as for the rest of those little two story buildings. knock em down!
Old June 12th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #1066
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Quote:

I agree with you to a degree. BTW, you said a naughty word
Old June 12th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #1067
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
I agree with you to a degree. BTW, you said a naughty word
whats the naughty word?
Old June 12th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #1068
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
The 3 buildings east of the nice little brick one, and the Panda Express building were put up for sale or lease a couple months ago. An appropriate midrise with enclosed parking garage will go in fairly soon I'm sure.
that would do wonders for the city, that is one of the most unurban corners downtown(thanks to the panda express, who the **** built that anyway?)
as long as it has good retail and doesent block the view of the monument from the southeast, then its all good bitches!
Man, that little brick building is gonna stick out. =/
Old June 12th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #1069
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Isn't the "nice 3-story brick building" the one that's going to be rehabbed into an Argentinian food restaurant? And I think it's actually 4 stories. The owner is going to use the top floor as his condo and I forget what else on the other floors.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 08:29 PM   #1070
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
Isn't the "nice 3-story brick building" the one that's going to be rehabbed into an Argentinian food restaurant? And I think it's actually 4 stories. The owner is going to use the top floor as his condo and I forget what else on the other floors.
yah thats right, and I think he is either turning the second and third floor into a bar, or office space, not sure.
Old June 12th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #1071
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

How Does THIS Sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiexInxIndy View Post
That an IKEA store would be ideal for the Market Square Areana development. Preferebly, with the KK proposal!
Someone was discussing a possible IKEA store for the Woodfield Proposal. I was discussing it would be better to be inclusive in the KK MSA Proposal!
Old June 12th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #1072
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Quote:
yah thats right, and I think he is either turning the second and third floor into a bar, or office space, not sure.
The blurb in IBJ said it would open in July too. July 2008 is more like it. I drive by this place everyday and nothing appears to be going on inside. The only indication that something is going on is the bright orange liquor license application sign on the door.

US13, you said the f-word again. Out with the bar of soap for you
Old June 12th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #1073
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

They are in the process of erecting a solid white fence around the North lot at Indiana Square. The property manager is toying with the idea of having an local artists paint this fence for aesthetic reasons. I thinks it's a great idea since it will be a 2 year project. It beats the grafitti that will eventually adorn this anyway.
Old June 12th, 2007, 11:21 PM   #1074
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Overhaul underway on IPS building

The administrative building for Indianapolis Public Schools is getting a $3.2 million overhaul to shore up two levels of parking. Workers have removed the facade from most of the second and third floors of the John Morton-Finney Center for Educational Services. The building sits along Walnut Street between Delaware and Pennsylvania streets on the north end of downtown. More than 40 years of car traffic, and the accompanying salt and snow, have taken their toll on the building’s unusual layout. The structure has offices in the basement, first floor and fourth-through-seventh floors, while parking is on the second and third floors. IPS hasn’t decided yet whether to replace walls that previously hid the parking levels. The project will not affect the Whaling Wall by marine artist Wyland that adorns the building’s north face.

AND here's a really rad comment from someone on there.....

(Even ’70s brutalist architecture needs to have a couple of “good” (bad) examples preserved for the ages, and that’s the “best” one in town. Indianapolis will be as boring as it used to be (and as whitebread as Carmel) if everything is “New Urbanist” townhome and shop-front faces. Diversity in the urban fabric necessarily includes some stuff everyone loves to hate.)

I reeeally liked that comment!
Old June 12th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #1075
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
The 3 buildings east of the nice little brick one, and the Panda Express building were put up for sale or lease a couple months ago. An appropriate midrise with enclosed parking garage will go in fairly soon I'm sure.
Blue ribbon to whoever finds a rendering of the highrise proposed there back in the day. It was at least 5 years ago. Obviously, the plan fell through. :-)

As a side note, I'm not sure when they updated this, but Emporis now publicly lists the Pennsylvania Street Hotel & Condominiums at 30 stories. Sorry if this is redundant/old info.
ablerock no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 11:42 PM   #1076
k2h

Likes (Received): 16

Posting pdf documents

Does anyone know how to attach a pdf document to a post?
k2h no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2007, 11:43 PM   #1077
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
As a side note, I'm not sure when they updated this, but Emporis now publicly lists the Pennsylvania Street Hotel & Condominiums at 30 stories. Sorry if this is redundant/old info.
I think that's been up there for a while and was used as the basis for naming the Penn St. Hotel and Condos thread with an official 30 story height. Isn't that gross speculation anyway? I get the impression from moochie that nobody has a damn clue how big it will end up being.

And speaking of thread titles, the JW Marriott STILL doesn't state the official height and floor count that were in the press release for the redesign. Or maybe I should say Emporis STILL doesn't list the official height of the building, which is the more likely reason that the thread title hasn't been changed.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #1078
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiexInxIndy View Post
The administrative building for Indianapolis Public Schools is getting a $3.2 million overhaul to shore up two levels of parking. Workers have removed the facade from most of the second and third floors of the John Morton-Finney Center for Educational Services. The building sits along Walnut Street between Delaware and Pennsylvania streets on the north end of downtown. More than 40 years of car traffic, and the accompanying salt and snow, have taken their toll on the building’s unusual layout. The structure has offices in the basement, first floor and fourth-through-seventh floors, while parking is on the second and third floors. IPS hasn’t decided yet whether to replace walls that previously hid the parking levels. The project will not affect the Whaling Wall by marine artist Wyland that adorns the building’s north face.

AND here's a really rad comment from someone on there.....

(Even ’70s brutalist architecture needs to have a couple of “good” (bad) examples preserved for the ages, and that’s the “best” one in town. Indianapolis will be as boring as it used to be (and as whitebread as Carmel) if everything is “New Urbanist” townhome and shop-front faces. Diversity in the urban fabric necessarily includes some stuff everyone loves to hate.)

I reeeally liked that comment!
true, I think some examples should be preserved(CCB, federal building, that apartment building on mass ave, etc.
Old June 13th, 2007, 12:20 AM   #1079
Unionstation13

any word on the demolition plans of the Omega building?
I contacted the historic preservation committee, appearently the structure cant be demolished unless approved through a public meeting by the wholesale district, I am curiouse if anyone has any information on the salvaging, or demolition of this fine structure?
Old June 13th, 2007, 12:24 AM   #1080
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

HAH!

Quote:
any word on the demolition plans of the Omega building?
I contacted the historic preservation committee, appearently the structure cant be demolished unless approved through a public meeting by the wholesale district, I am curiouse if anyone has any information on the salvaging, or demolition of this fine structure?
Last i heard was that this was only gonna be demo'd to make way for the Penn Hotel project, but that the facade may be incorporated? Anywho, that was coming from moochie who is often times full of shit! But hey... who am i to talk?

Closed Thread