daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 13th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #1081
Indywatch

Likes (Received): 0

I know that shorter redish building to the west of Symphony Centre is labled Victoria Centre.... but several months ago I came across a picture also labled as the New Victoria Centre Condominiums. It looks like its a new building planned for the vacant lot right behind the King Cole which would make sense and be much more in line with an address of 22 E. Washington Street (2nd building - hense 22).

I hope they build it and incorporate some of those other building in the plans. It would be great infill for Washington Street.

Notice the McQuay building or whatever it's named looks like it's intact to the east.
Indywatch no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #1082
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indywatch View Post
I know that shorter redish building to the west of Symphony Centre is labled Victoria Centre.... but several months ago I came across a picture also labled as the New Victoria Centre Condominiums. It looks like its a new building planned for the vacant lot right behind the King Cole which would make sense and be much more in line with an address of 22 E. Washington Street (2nd building - hense 22).

I hope they build it and incorporate some of those other building in the plans. It would be great infill for Washington Street.

Notice the McQuay building or whatever it's named looks like it's intact to the east.

I think that one fell through the floor. But it would be, it restores two beautiful buildings. I would love to see it happen, but eh. dont get your hopes up.
Old June 13th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #1083
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiexInxIndy View Post
Last i heard was that this was only gonna be demo'd to make way for the Penn Hotel project, but that the facade may be incorporated? Anywho, that was coming from moochie who is often times full of shit! But hey... who am i to talk?
It should, I honestly dont see how it will hurt the development. The facade should be preserved, it is a beautiful building, it just needs repainted. Has anyone taken the time to look at the stone detail over the windows? Its like several different patterned stone ribbons.
Old June 13th, 2007, 12:49 AM   #1084
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

GOD DAMN i reeeally need to run for mayor! HASSELBUSCH '08, AN INDEPENDENT MAYOR FOR AN INTERDEPENDENT INDIANAPOLIS! how's that sound?

Last edited by IndiexInxIndy; June 13th, 2007 at 12:58 AM.
IndiexInxIndy no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 12:59 AM   #1085
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indywatch View Post

That looks nice, hadn't seen that before. Thanks for posting. By the way, it looks slightly similar to the project proposed for the lot across from the Claddagh.
ablerock no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 03:26 AM   #1086
altfelix

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
I think that's been up there for a while and was used as the basis for naming the Penn St. Hotel and Condos thread with an official 30 story height. Isn't that gross speculation anyway? I get the impression from moochie that nobody has a damn clue how big it will end up being.

And speaking of thread titles, the JW Marriott STILL doesn't state the official height and floor count that were in the press release for the redesign. Or maybe I should say Emporis STILL doesn't list the official height of the building, which is the more likely reason that the thread title hasn't been changed.
Which press release stated the height? Only place I ever saw 317' was within the Circle & Squares blog. If that's not correct, it'd be a shame for someone to perpetuate incorrect information.
altfelix no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 03:30 AM   #1087
IndyYeah

Isn't the short one next to the taller one, to the east getting redone for that Brazilian restaurant? It looks like that one that was posted for a july opening that Corey said was a dump. My ex girlfriend loved the taller one. That demolished Flatiron one would look so neat if it were still around. Great Indy still has a few gems though!
IndyYeah no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 04:29 AM   #1088
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2h View Post
Including the projects hoosier has posted above, below are a few of the projects i would like to see (categorized by quadrant):

Northwest Quadrant:

Northern end of canal
Buggs Temple Redevelopment
IU Health & Sciences Building
Fairbanks Hall

IUPUI (projects accessible via Red Line Circulator)
IUPUI Campus Center
IU School of Medicine Expansion
IU Cancer Center
Riley Hospital Expansion

Southwest Quadrant: (projects accessible via Blue Line Circulator)
J.W. Marriott Hotel & Towers
Lucas Oil Stadium

Southeast Quadrant: (projects accessible via Blue Line Circulator)
Victoria Centre Condominiums

Northeast Quadrant:
Central Library Expansion
City Market / MSA site (project accessible via Blue/Red Line Circulator)
Cultural Trail - Alabama Street (project accessible via Blue/Red Line Circulator)
Three Mass Ave (project accessible via Blue/Red Line Circulator)
757 Mass Ave
707 East North Street Condiminiums
Lockerbie Park

As you can see, i have labeled projects that are located in close proximity to the downtown circulator bus stops. I am hoping we can walk and/or utilize public transit for most of the tour. For those of you planning to join, let me know your thoughts.

That is a great comprehensive list. I wasn't aware that Fairbanks Hall was UC yet. Are we going to just check out the site?
hoosier no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 04:30 AM   #1089
hoosier

Quote:
GOD DAMN i reeeally need to run for mayor! HASSELBUSCH '08, AN INDEPENDENT MAYOR FOR AN INTERDEPENDENT INDIANAPOLIS! how's that sound?
You've got my vote.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 04:38 AM   #1090
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by altfelix View Post
Which press release stated the height? Only place I ever saw 317' was within the Circle & Squares blog. If that's not correct, it'd be a shame for someone to perpetuate incorrect information.
I completely agree. In fact, I was also dubious and asked him in the comments section of Circles & Squares where he got the number and he said it came "straight from the fact sheet included in the press kit." Given all the other numbers he posted, including ballroom sizes that weren't reported elsewhere, it seems likely that he had the press kit.

I have little doubt that the numbers he posted are facts. But I agree, we probably shouldn't pass along possibly incorrect info without confirmation.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 04:44 AM   #1091
hoosier

I don't know how many of you on here use Post Road but it BADLY needs a facelift, especially between Pendleton Pike and 56th Street. I think it should be widened from Washington Street to I-74 as well.

What are your all's opinions regarding the benefits of a Washington Street rehabilitation project similar to what the city did to 38th Street? I think Washington badly needs a facelift and an extra lane each direction for bus use.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 05:05 AM   #1092
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
That is a great comprehensive list. I wasn't aware that Fairbanks Hall was UC yet. Are we going to just check out the site?
Not only is it under construction, but it's topped out already (6 stories).

3 Mass Ave, on the other hand, was very much a "soft" groundbreaking. There's dick happening around there right now. They haven't even put up barriers yet. Unless they get moving, we're just going to look at the site (and stop off at MacNiven's?!).
CorrND no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 05:49 AM   #1093
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

I've all but given up on the Central Library expansion. It just goes to show what gross mismanagement can do to an otherwise pretty good project. Indystar has been unusually silent about the library over the past few months.

I drove past this afternoon on my way home and there was still a sign out there that said that it would open Spring 2005. All I could do was laugh.
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 06:01 AM   #1094
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownBoy View Post
I've all but given up on the Central Library expansion. It just goes to show what gross mismanagement can do to an otherwise pretty good project. Indystar has been unusually silent about the library over the past few months.

I drove past this afternoon on my way home and there was still a sign out there that said that it would open Spring 2005. All I could do was laugh.
Agree that the Star has been very quiet about the library in the last couple months, but your timing in pointing it out isn't good -- they just had a huge front page article about the library yesterday! It was about the foam filler that they're using on top of the garage because it can't support the weight of a 100% dirt fill. It doesn't matter much except that they only end up with about 18" of top soil and therefore can't put any trees on top of the garage.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 06:38 AM   #1095
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Agree that the Star has been very quiet about the library in the last couple months, but your timing in pointing it out isn't good -- they just had a huge front page article about the library yesterday! It was about the foam filler that they're using on top of the garage because it can't support the weight of a 100% dirt fill. It doesn't matter much except that they only end up with about 18" of top soil and therefore can't put any trees on top of the garage.
Oh really? Damn.

I don't read the Star that much anyway so I wouldn't know. Man, the News was so much better
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 07:15 AM   #1096
thehoss257

Quote:
The administrative building for Indianapolis Public Schools is getting a $3.2 million overhaul to shore up two levels of parking. Workers have removed the facade from most of the second and third floors of the John Morton-Finney Center for Educational Services. The building sits along Walnut Street between Delaware and Pennsylvania streets on the north end of downtown. More than 40 years of car traffic, and the accompanying salt and snow, have taken their toll on the building’s unusual layout. The structure has offices in the basement, first floor and fourth-through-seventh floors, while parking is on the second and third floors. IPS hasn’t decided yet whether to replace walls that previously hid the parking levels. The project will not affect the Whaling Wall by marine artist Wyland that adorns the building’s north face.

AND here's a really rad comment from someone on there.....

(Even ’70s brutalist architecture needs to have a couple of “good” (bad) examples preserved for the ages, and that’s the “best” one in town. Indianapolis will be as boring as it used to be (and as whitebread as Carmel) if everything is “New Urbanist” townhome and shop-front faces. Diversity in the urban fabric necessarily includes some stuff everyone loves to hate.)

I reeeally liked that comment!

Ok, is that even a Brutalist building? If I remember correctly, it is a somewhat traditional tower on top of a concrete parking garage pedistal.
The base may be "brutal", but i'm not sure if i've ever considered it a Brutalist building.
thehoss257 no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 07:41 AM   #1097
IndyBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
Blue ribbon to whoever finds a rendering of the highrise proposed there back in the day. It was at least 5 years ago. Obviously, the plan fell through. :-)
I don't believe there was ever a highrise proposed for the Rossleyn Bakery corner. Symphony Tower was proposed for the SW corner of Penn and Market. There was brief talk about of a project on the Rosselyn Bakery site, but it never got past the conceptual stage.

IndyBob no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2007, 04:42 PM   #1098
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

I don't know about anyone else on here but the recent series of fires on the near southside is getting out-of-hand. Is this area considered ACORN-FOUNTAIN SQUARE? I know much of it is near Garfield Park.
Old June 13th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #1099
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
I think that's been up there for a while and was used as the basis for naming the Penn St. Hotel and Condos thread with an official 30 story height. Isn't that gross speculation anyway? I get the impression from moochie that nobody has a damn clue how big it will end up being.

And speaking of thread titles, the JW Marriott STILL doesn't state the official height and floor count that were in the press release for the redesign. Or maybe I should say Emporis STILL doesn't list the official height of the building, which is the more likely reason that the thread title hasn't been changed.

I have a "contact" that I have developed over at Emporis and he stated that even though there has been some reports of 317', there is nothing concrete thus why it hasn't been updated.
Old June 13th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #1100
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
I don't know about anyone else on here but the recent series of fires on the near southside is getting out-of-hand. Is this area considered ACORN-FOUNTAIN SQUARE? I know much of it is near Garfield Park.

Garfield Park is soon to be my old 'hood, but I will be there through Friday and yes, it is a bit concerning! There are 3 vacant houses near my old house and I know one of the owners. He was out this week doing some stuff to the outside and shoreing up some of the doors and windows. I don't know what good that will help, but it is pretty scary...and I just rtead that an occupied house was burned last night!

Closed Thread