daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 14th, 2007, 10:47 PM   #1141
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminooo View Post
Wow.. I really like that.. Reminds me of the condos just west 90/94 coming into downtown chicago.
Yeah, gotta love those "condos"

Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2007, 10:55 PM   #1142
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownBoy View Post
That view is facing due northwest. The balconies seem to be positioned toward the skyline.
Really? So the street in the foreground is Meridian?

Ok, now I'm getting this. I think you can see the "tunnel" in the middle for Pierson St.

I think I was getting confused because I thought the Grain Dealers building was set back from Meridian in the rendering and we had to be looking at the back-side of building. The more I look at it, it does appear to line up with the new tower.

So does this wrap around the back, fronting Illinois at 14 stories as well? If so, I'm really starting to like this project.

Last edited by CorrND; June 14th, 2007 at 11:02 PM.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2007, 11:20 PM   #1143
ragerunner1

Likes (Received): 44

From the drawing it looks like the current Grain Dealers building is going to get a green roof.
ragerunner1 no está en línea  
Old June 14th, 2007, 11:46 PM   #1144
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post

hahaha
cityfan no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 12:19 AM   #1145
cityfan

Couple questions:

Does anyone know where we can see renderings of those student apartments proposed on Illinois by Scottish Rite?

Also (I'm too lazy to look it up) when do we find out which MSA proposal is chosen?
cityfan no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 01:02 AM   #1146
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post

??... not what I was talking about, so I'm not really sure what you're saying here.. but ok! If you're referring to the vagueness of condos I'll post what I'm referring to later.. I'm on a slow mobile connection.
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 01:03 AM   #1147
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
More on the Grain Dealers project and a rendering of the tower:

Tower House on Meridian

Here’s a rendering for the $50-million project I wrote about yesterday. The Tower House on Meridian proposal incorporates the existing Grain Dealers Mutual Insurance building along Meridian Street and would add a 14-story tower including a six-floor, 130-room hotel and 160 condos, along with 600-car parking garage along Illinois Street. The parking garage would feature 14,000 square feet of retail space along Illinois and 1,800 square feet of office space along 18th Street. The project was designed by Greenwood-based MECA Design Group.

http://www.ibj.com/html/blog.html
wow, this is going to do alot, this just shows the progress on meridian. Hopefully more beautiful old buildings are rehabbed, and suburban crap is demolished, and we get more projects like this!
I like the design.
the downtown market is still booming! I cant wait to see what this will look like once its finished, and how it will affect the atmisphere.
Old June 15th, 2007, 01:15 AM   #1148
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Moochie, do you have any news on the use or demolition of the Omega building?
From what I read, it was built in the early 1870s, and still has its brick facade with many original features. Why demo it? Has anyone heard anything about the Illinios building either?

Last edited by Unionstation13; June 15th, 2007 at 01:28 AM.
Unionstation13 no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 01:32 AM   #1149
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan View Post
Couple questions:

Does anyone know where we can see renderings of those student apartments proposed on Illinois by Scottish Rite?

Also (I'm too lazy to look it up) when do we find out which MSA proposal is chosen?
I'll have renderings to show at the July 7th gathering. Don't expect much though. :-)

I believe they said they would announce the winning proposal in July.
ablerock no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 01:59 AM   #1150
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

I'm sorry guys, but this building is horrible.

I appreciate the density and location, but it's just rudimentary, tasteless architecture. I've got a larger version of the same view and honestly, it's hard to look at. The Grain Dealers Mutual Insurance building has some basic but nice lines and proportion that the "architect" totally failed to pick up on. I don't even know what to say about the first few floors... big red squares dissected by thick white lines is just simpleton and ugly. The giant awning braces are ridiculous. Big glass windows for the staircase and little portholes for the living/work areas? What is the thinking behind that? The red brick doesn't actually look like brick at all in the larger rendering. It looks like that spray on pebble stuff you see in cheapy-cheap apartments. I'm hoping it's just an oversight of the illustrator or he was too tired to draw any more lines that day.

Ok, I'm done. I already complained enough to my Pop when I first saw the rendering. Maybe it will be so ugly it's beautiful.
ablerock no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 03:06 AM   #1151
arenn

I'm telling you, it looks pretty much just like Cabrini-Green with balconies.

Development Rendering:

Cabrini-Green:

Old June 15th, 2007, 03:35 AM   #1152
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

I think it's fair to criticize this design for taking ZERO cues from the Grain Dealer's building, but I cannot agree that this new tower should have taken much from Grain Dealers. That building is boring as hell! What's interesting about that building? What significant features would you build on?

I'd describe the new tower as serviceable, but not great.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 03:38 AM   #1153
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

I am glad that Meridian may get another midrise but I have to agree with arenn and ablerock on this project. It has no respect for the Grain Dealers' Building and the cladding on the lower levels is awful, as if the architect used Cabrini Green as inspiration. Indy should demand better. Shit like this wouldn't fly in Carmel.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 03:42 AM   #1154
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

After reading the post about the Milwaukee guy's near death experience in the inner city, I was wondering if any of you all here have had close calls in rough parts of the city. Luckily, I haven't although I have driven through seedy parts of Indy. It seems that the near east, west, and south sides of the city are pretty ghetto, but I don't know to be honest.

What parts of Indy are off limits to you all in terms of being too dangerous to drive/walk through?
hoosier no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 03:47 AM   #1155
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

If they would replace the brick cladding I'd be satisfied.

I mean, it isn't great by any means but it could have been worse.
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 04:35 AM   #1156
IndyYeah

Likes (Received): 0

Indiana Base

[QUOTE=NaptownBoy;13722778]Is anyone else irritated by the fact that they aren't going to modify the base? I mean they don't have to do anything extravagant, but surely they could at least change the glass.[/Q

I think it is tacky at best that the base, and panels by the doors etc.. are not going to get done! Look at the rendering, I live up here by Chicago, and it is amazing the radio cutdowns Indy gets, with almost everything, not the Colts though. I am an Indy fan, but this lower section sucks!
IndyYeah no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 04:37 AM   #1157
Wu-Gambino

Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
After reading the post about the Milwaukee guy's near death experience in the inner city, I was wondering if any of you all here have had close calls in rough parts of the city. Luckily, I haven't although I have driven through seedy parts of Indy. It seems that the near east, west, and south sides of the city are pretty ghetto, but I don't know to be honest.

What parts of Indy are off limits to you all in terms of being too dangerous to drive/walk through?
For me, nothing seems off limits to drive through. At night, I would defiantly stick to the main streets, and not go down any side streets. I read that story and I don't know how I would react to a situation like that. I think the easiest thing to do would to have been get the **** out of the area, even if it resorts to speeding or running red lights. If you get pulled over, you could at least explain to the officer that you were doing this for your own safety. Best case scenario is you: a). hit downtown and go to a police station or b). they give up.

I have felt uncomfortable driving through parts of the eastside, mainly because I don't live on that part of town. I felt fine driving through Haughville and Riverside.

I'm sure there others, it seems Indy has bad spots, but not one large area to avoid. Sometimes I think I am to naive when it comes to this, I'm constantly defending the city amongst most of the people out here. The worst thing that has happened to me was a hit and run at a parking garage and a break in to my car at West Indy Racquet Club (up on Guion). I've never experienced anything as bad as what fiddler said he went through.

Walking is a different story, I've never walked through a truly bad area of town (the worst being parts of Haughville that weren't even that bad, 10th to go to the Slovenian National Home and 16th to go to Long's Bakery). Now I have walked through areas that I believe a lot of people would be uncomfortable in (Little Mexico, Rhodius Park area, spotty parts of Morton Place) and photographed them without incident. I don't know if that counts for anything.

I'm interested to see what other forumers responses to this question will be.
Wu-Gambino no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 04:46 AM   #1158
arenn

I have only had two incidents occur in the city.

One time I was taking pictures and I happened to take in a mini-van whose driver objected. He actually drove around the block, came up to me, and started telling me, "Hey, don't take no pictures of my van." Vaguely threatening, but not physical. I'm always very leery of taking pictures in the inner city because people wonder what you are doing, who you are, and what the heck you are doing in their neighborhood. It's actually the same sort of thing you'd encounter in a rural area.

Other time was basically a traffic altercation. I was on east 10th and passed someone at a stop light in the right lane/parking lane. They took offense at this and proceeded to chase me down the street, including going into oncoming traffic and endangering lives, finally pretty much running me off the road - all just to yell at me.

I've experienced a few aggressive panhandlers downtown. In my book, asking for change is an annoyance, getting in your face and asking for $10 is a prelude to a mugging. This never actually happened, however. To me, this sort of last incident is why pedestrian traffic on a street is so important. If you've got panhandlers and various derelicts around, and the street is otherwise deserted, you just don't feel safe. That's particularly true for people who aren't used to urban environments who are a bit antsy to begin with.
Old June 15th, 2007, 04:59 AM   #1159
cityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post

I agree with Naptown, driving is a different story. I'd feel safe driving pretty much anywhere in Indy during the day and most places at night.

I personally wouldn't walk on 10th street past Woodruff Place on the eastside, especially at night. There are a lot of shady individuals that just hang out on the corners there.

West Washington St. seems like it might be an area to avoid walking around, but it is such a busy street that I doubt anyone would really try anything. It's all about avoiding the side streets.

Overall though, Indy's crime isn't isolated to specific neighborhoods defined by certain square blocks. It's fairly spread out. That's actually what I really like about Indy. So called ghettos aren't nearly as bad as other cities' because you have a fairly wide spectrum of income levels (middle class mixed in with lower class, etc. ) and a lack of density (such as large government housing projects found in other cities) doesn't contribute to a high concentration of poverty and crime. There's a lot more integration racially too: Washington St. has Hispanics, Blacks, Whites mixed in neighborhoods.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 05:01 AM   #1160
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Likes (Received): 0

Can Everyone Quit Bitching! Please?

Honestly this "Meridian Tower" is not half bad... Sure, it's not the most awe-inspiring thing you ever have seen. But seriously think these things over for a few moments please...

A) The density is PERFECT! It comes up to the street on BOTH sides of Meridian & Illinois Street...

B) The design is rather intriguing. It seems to mix old with some contemporary flair! I really dont mind it much at all... Besides, the final product (as with the JW) should look MUCH better...

After all, i remember how bland & uninspired i though the renderings for "The Luke" were. But as we all know now it is turning out quite gorgeous!

Thanks!

Closed Thread