daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 15th, 2007, 05:11 AM   #1161
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Driving (and walking, for the most part) through a questionable neighborhood has never been of concern to me. Growing up in a questionable neighborhood myself, I was always taught to remember two things. One: people generally will not approach you unless provoked, and two: always use good judgement.
NaptownBoy no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2007, 05:13 AM   #1162
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Likes (Received): 0

ONE More Thing!

http://www.meca-design.com/projects/...owerhouse.html

Hopefully, that may change y'all minds. Look @ the bottom pic... It's pretty effin rad!

(Not too bad a design firm for a Greenwood firm)
Old June 15th, 2007, 05:26 AM   #1163
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownBoy View Post
If they would replace the brick cladding I'd be satisfied.

I mean, it isn't great by any means but it could have been worse.
That's true, I forgot about your earlier cladding point when I wrote. A matching of the cladding would do wonders for making the new tower work with Grain Dealers. I still can't agree with extending the other boring design elements into the new tower, though.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 05:28 AM   #1164
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

Don't forget, this is a press kit rendering. The reality of these structures is generally worse than the renderings, which usually take some artistic license and also show the building from the most flattering angle. (Where are the loading docks, again?)
Old June 15th, 2007, 05:30 AM   #1165
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
Don't forget, this is a press kit rendering. The reality of these structures is generally worse than the renderings, which usually take some artistic license and also show the building from the most flattering angle. (Where are the loading docks, again?)
Well, that wasn't the case with LOS... now was it?
Old June 15th, 2007, 05:32 AM   #1166
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

I think the Meridian Tower is pretty nice actually. It's not groundbreaking or extremely progressive by any stretch of imagination but to compare it to Cabrini Green is ridiculous. If anything, it reiterates the notion of having a very strong housing market in Indianapolis. Not to mention the fact that this will certainly pump more energy into an already thriving neighborhood. From a street level perspective, it's fantastic. Plenty of space for retail... and are those blue umbrellas on the corner sidewalk for a restaurant? Nice!

Why do you hate it again?
Old June 15th, 2007, 05:39 AM   #1167
Wu-Gambino

Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan View Post
Overall though, Indy's crime isn't isolated to specific neighborhoods defined by certain square blocks. It's fairly spread out. That's actually what I really like about Indy. So called ghettos aren't nearly as bad as other cities' because you have a fairly wide spectrum of income levels (middle class mixed in with lower class, etc. ) and a lack of density (such as large government housing projects found in other cities) doesn't contribute to a high concentration of poverty and crime. There's a lot more integration racially too: Washington St. has Hispanics, Blacks, Whites mixed in neighborhoods.
True, and it could be something I've noticed (I have no stats to back this up), but Indy seems more racially integrated than any city in the Midwest. I know that there are areas that are almost exclusively black or white, but in my experiences around the city I've seen so many examples of racial integration whether it be on parts of the eastside or Haughville.

Quote:
West Washington St. seems like it might be an area to avoid walking around, but it is such a busy street that I doubt anyone would really try anything. It's all about avoiding the side streets.
That's how I feel about a lot of places (especially on 10th, 38th, Washington, etc) when I'm walking. I honestly don't think people will try things on busy streets. I'm usually more alert, I keep my wallet (I usually carry less than twenty bucks) in my front pocket along with my camera.

Regarding panhandlers, it might sound crazy, but this has worked for me: I've never been bothered by any panhandlers while listening to my ipod. I know there would be concerns of someone sneaking up on me, but I've tested this out in San Francisco, San Diego, Indianapolis, and Chicago. Not once have I been bothered for spare change or what not.

Quote:
It's actually the same sort of thing you'd encounter in a rural area.
Actually, I think this could happened almost in every part of the country minus downtowns or tourist attractions.

Quote:
I personally wouldn't walk on 10th street past Woodruff Place on the eastside, especially at night. There are a lot of shady individuals that just hang out on the corners there.
Yeah, it's strange, I've seen a ton of interesting things on east 10th, from prostitution busts to young black males walking the same street as old white males.
Wu-Gambino no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 05:48 AM   #1168
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Thank You Milwaukee Mark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMark View Post
I think the Meridian Tower is pretty nice actually. It's not groundbreaking or extremely progressive by any stretch of imagination but to compare it to Cabrini Green is ridiculous. If anything, it reiterates the notion of having a very strong housing market in Indianapolis. Not to mention the fact that this will certainly pump more energy into an already thriving neighborhood. From a street level perspective, it's fantastic. Plenty of space for retail... and are those blue umbrellas on the corner sidewalk for a restaurant? Nice!

Why do you hate it again?
It's a shame the only support we seem to garner is from out-of-towners... I do however respect this project!
Old June 15th, 2007, 05:48 AM   #1169
arenn

I must say, inner city/non-tourist and rural areas seem to be worse at disliking people taking pictures than suburban areas. I think suburbanites are more used to surveyors and inspectors and the like just plain being around. They are less likely to view someone taking a picture as a potential threat to them (e.g., the gubbmint, a greedy speculator, etc). I've never once been harrassed in the burbs.

I think the key is just to be confident. I like to just mind my own business or walk around with that random urban blank look of hostility. If you don't look afraid, people generally leave you alone.

Crime can happen anywhere, and it could happen to you, but the odds of it are generally lower than one might expect.
Old June 15th, 2007, 06:01 AM   #1170
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Breathe IN & Breathe OUT...

http://bp0.blogger.com/_g-J5F47Klrs/...MSA_aerial.jpg
Old June 15th, 2007, 06:09 AM   #1171
arenn

East 10th is probably my favorite street in the city. Here's a short tribute.

image hosted on flickr

This reminds me of those funky live/work spaces at 25th and Delaware

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

This bad boy is crying to be rehabbed. What a great building.

image hosted on flickr

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

That's what I call a bad hair day

image hosted on flickr

Seen any good shows lately?

image hosted on flickr

There are great neighborhoods right off 10th like Emerson Heights that nobody knows about The east side gets a bad rap if you ask me.

Last edited by arenn; June 15th, 2007 at 06:31 AM.
arenn no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 06:24 AM   #1172
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

I get so frustrated every time I go by the Rivoli theatre. That could be such a good venue, for film, theatre or concerts. If I had the money, I'd invest in it myself.

10th Street has some of the best character in the city.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 06:35 AM   #1173
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

Here's an event some of you might be interested in:

http://www.indympo.org/Plans/DiRecTi...rSumSeries.htm
cityfan no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 07:05 AM   #1174
Wu-Gambino

Likes (Received): 109

Cityfan and arenn, agreed with you guys about East Tenth. The stretch from the end of downtown until the end of Irvington is my favorite urban corridor in the city. I have some pictures of the Little Flower neighborhood I've been meaning to post. If I stay in Indianapolis, it's a neighborhood I would consider living in.

What I would do to live in a bungalow like this in Little Flower (although I would prefer a window in the attic):

Last edited by Wu-Gambino; June 15th, 2007 at 07:23 AM.
Wu-Gambino no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 09:51 AM   #1175
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Cool project on Meridian! It's different and it's funky. Everyone always complains how conservative indianapolis is with this stuff, but when something funky comes along you're all changing your minds. You don't have to live in it, but I think it's a really fun building and a big improvement of the current

As for east 10th.... As a former Tech student and east side resident... I really don't like east 10th street at all. It is the only place I actually don't feel safe plus the streets are so narrow... Although I think the new development is really cool, so I hope it sparks more. Its so weird to see it there, an odd place for it.

Last edited by billionbucks; June 15th, 2007 at 09:58 AM.
billionbucks no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #1176
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiexInxIndy View Post
http://www.meca-design.com/projects/...owerhouse.html

Hopefully, that may change y'all minds. Look @ the bottom pic... It's pretty effin rad!

(Not too bad a design firm for a Greenwood firm)
It's not rad. It's bad.

As far as the firm being from Greenwood, that just explains the problem. This firm designs strip malls, suburban restaurants that somehow made it onto South Street, and horrible churches. The budget for this project is $60 million and the developer chose them?

Not one of their projects has an inkling of taste. They all look like they were designed by construction workers.

Here are some of Meca's other "designs":

ablerock no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 04:39 PM   #1177
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Speaking of bad neighborhoods. When I moved to Indy in 1992 I bought me a bike. I didn't have a car and lived in the now burned out apartments at 10th and Penn. One morning I took off going west. Found myself in the area west of MLK and roughly 30th street. Nobody bothered me but had I known I would have avoided that area all together.
Old June 15th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #1178
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
Pretty much count on it being demolished. Why? I'm not sure. I do know about a guy who was trying to buy it and put in retail/condo for his personal use, but he ended up purchasing that building on Washington for the same purpose.

My guess is that the owner of the Omega Building is part of the Penn Tower project and he wants a large return on his investment. It's technically two buildings actually.

As for the Omega building, it's basically a windowless brick warehouse with a nice enough facade... that's been painted grey... and altered greatly over the years... sure it's a loss, but not much of one. it's not like it's in mint condidtion or a particularly close approximation of what it once was.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about historic preservation, but I don't see much point in preserving what amounts to a few pieces of original limestone facade windows that have been painted grey..

It's completely boarded up now btw. It's not long for this world.
How is atleast the facade not signifigant? It was built right after the civil-war. I dont see how it will hurt the development to restore the structure. Downtown has so few structures from this era, and yet the pen tower project requires demolition of it, when its not even certian if it will be of as much signifigance? I know, Moochie, that you see no point in preserving it, as you dont see it in many buildings. But this structure should be preserved, is the parking lot not big enough for them to use?
Old June 15th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #1179
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan View Post
I get so frustrated every time I go by the Rivoli theatre. That could be such a good venue, for film, theatre or concerts. If I had the money, I'd invest in it myself.

10th Street has some of the best character in the city.
Agreed - I have driven and cycled down East Tenth recently, and thought the same thing. The urban fabric there is one of the best in the city - great old buildings screaming for love, but the neighborhood is one of the rougher in town - it will take a lot of time, money and TLC to turn that neighborhood around. i think with rising gas prices, and families shrinking, these are the kinds of 'hoods that will be revived in the next 2-3 decades. the crap that is under construction outside the beltway will turn into the slums - just a matter of time, IMHO.
cjfjapan no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #1180
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

the near eastside makes me just wanna win the lottery and redevelope it all!
So many amazing 19th century structures are lined along the main streets, the old victorian houses, this is one of the oldest parts of the city that is just gorgouse,
looking at that picture of the house, with the new sidewalks and curbs, wow,
amagien the near eastside like that, that will surely spark up renovations, repairs, etc.

Closed Thread