daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 25th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #101
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

A pic of "Marbles" from the indystar:

The associated article doesn't have much we haven't already heard, but here's the link if anybody's curious:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...AL18/704250462
CorrND no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #102
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

I've been informed that the rendering I saw is indeed for the lot south of the Century Building.

BUT, the person also stated that right now the project isn't public knowledge and they couldn't tell me much more than that.

They said "it's just an idea right now."

So... that particular image may be 1. just filler/visual aid 2. an older design proposal, or 3. a new direction for the building.

Moochie, something tells me that Penn Plaza/Centre is just a descriptive name used by the company who put together the documents I saw. They aren't involved in the actual development, they will be brought in to perform a service after completion. The same image was used twice. One was called Penn Plaza, the other Penn Centre.
ablerock no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 05:58 PM   #103
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

wow, lots of development.
Downtown is really turning. Soon the only parking lots will be in Northwest downtown.
All these infill projects and new development projects are very exciting! Downtown is dense, but it is gonna get denser. And it appears downtown is spreading southward towards the Luke.
Old April 25th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #104
CorrND
Moderator Chris

I attended the Cultural Trail groundbreaking and despite rain that only stopped about 15 minutes before the ceremony about 100 people still showed up. The amount of glad-handing going on was sort of incredible.

One piece of info they passed on regarding the Eli Lilly extension: it's going to be about 1/4 of a mile long and extends from South and New Jersey. The trail doesn't actually hit this intersection, so I assume it must spur from the East/South intersection and then head south on New Jersey to the Lilly campus.

It's going to be completely useless to anyone but Lilly employees, but I suppose it doesn't really matter as long as they're footing the bill. On the other hand, this is supposed to be a cultural trail, not a corporate connector, right? Eh, whatever...it can't hurt.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #105
ablerock

I went too. Politicians sure are corny!

I'm really proud of Emily and her being selected as the first public artist on the trail. She's an excellent artist and she'll set the bar high, as far as public art is concerned.
Old April 25th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #106
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

These proposals are nice, but they are just that, PROPOSALS.

I won't get excited until I see shovels in the ground or there is definitive confirmation that these projects WILL happen.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 08:40 PM   #107
hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
You're no fun...
I want all of these proposals to come to fruition, but I only get TRULY excited when I see the cranes in the air and the construction crews on site.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #108
hoosier

I know this isn't directly related to Indy Development, but did any of you read that the stadium/hotel plan for Ft. Wayne was approved yesterday?

Go to the IndyStar website and there is a link to the article. I posted it in the Ft. Wayne development thread as well.

I am glad to see Indiana's second largest city take the initiative to revitalize its downtown and make it a destination.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #109
ablerock

Have you guys ever heard how loud the trains are right as they pass over S. Meridian? They shriek. It's loud enough to destroy a conversation in the Subway parking lot.

Whatever they build on that lot between Meridian and Penn better have thick walls and plenty of sound-proofing if anyone wants to sleep there.
Old April 25th, 2007, 09:28 PM   #110
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
Have you guys ever heard how loud the trains are right as they pass over S. Meridian? They shriek. It's loud enough to destroy a conversation in the Subway parking lot.

Whatever they build on that lot between Meridian and Penn better have thick walls and plenty of sound-proofing if anyone wants to sleep there.
Hell, I faintly hear 'em at night all the way up at West and St. Clair! I can't imagine trying to sleep next to the tracks. That'd be like the "soothing, relaxing, vibrating home" from Se7en!
CorrND no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #111
Unionstation13

Quote:
The way I see it, they're running out of space for viable urban low rises, and demand for urban living has not dropped, and is perhaps increasing. Nowhere to build but up! I think in 5 years we'll see these high rise residential projects going up like weeds in every parking lot downtown..
True. One thing I am very impressed by with the new development is that we arent demolishing historic buildings(except the Omega) for new development.
Hopefully downtown will spread out a little, instead of vast demolitions. I hope more highrise proposals pop up, that would be amazing.
Old April 25th, 2007, 11:26 PM   #112
hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post

Indy's rail infrastructure needs to be upgraded. There are FAR too many at-grade street and rail crossings in the city and suburbs.

The rail bridges themselves are very old near downtown and are creepy to walk underneath.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 12:33 AM   #113
ablerock

I just got a look at the renderings for the Phase V/VI expansion of the new Indiana Convention Center. I don't have much time to analyze them tonight. I should be able to describe them in more detail tomorrow.

The new entrance is on Capitol and centered on Georgia. It's a 4 story glass cube similar to, but not freestanding like the 5th Avenue NY Apple store cube. It is nestled into the facade and has a prominent aluminum roof that juts out over Capitol. The roof on the rest of the facade has the same shape, but is more reserved. The cube is also repeated as the terminus to the Lucas Oil Stadium Connector near south street sans roof. The facade uses a lot of brick, glass and aluminum. The whole expansion is primarily 3 stories, with 4 story areas that may just be skylights. New loading docks are in a small area between the railway and the new building. This area is only accessible from West St. It's a much narrower extension of the existing loading dock.

Phase VI looks like it fills in the courtyard area west of the church on Capitol and north of the grand staircase to the RCA Dome.

This is really going to change the feel of S. Capitol Ave.
Old April 26th, 2007, 02:03 AM   #114
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Mike DeWeese, owner of BW3, has chosen not to renew that franchise. A new concept will be replacing it by the end of June.
WOW. Does that just mean the bar/restaurant will be maintained but it won't be branded bw3s? I enjoy the wings there but the beer selection is phenomenal. That's what I go there for. As long as he keeps that beer selection, I don't care what the menu is.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 03:17 AM   #115
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
The rail bridges themselves are very old near downtown and are creepy to walk underneath.
Oddly enough when I walk under these is when I feel like I'm in a "real" city.
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 03:21 AM   #116
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Mike DeWeese, owner of BW3, has chosen not to renew that franchise. A new concept will be replacing it by the end of June.
Weird. I saw a flyer in the bathroom about the new concept. I forget the name, some thinking like, but not "bamboozled" There needs to be a BW3 downtown, I need my 50c wings on thursday!
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 03:24 AM   #117
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

I try to keep up with Indy's developement. I have over 600 posts on SSP but not much ado about downtown's developement. You guys and gals have it going on. I will park on this thread for a while.
Old April 26th, 2007, 04:19 AM   #118
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminooo View Post
Oddly enough when I walk under these is when I feel like I'm in a "real" city.
I get the city feel too... It's also a little scary at night though, especially if it's raining.. the homeless like to stay under them.
Old April 26th, 2007, 04:36 AM   #119
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Likes (Received): 0

Why Indianapolis' Skyline Isn't So Bad After All...

Stunning? No. Striking? No. Subtle? Yes... I honestly believe something that all the bashers of our fine city's skyline dont. What our skyline lacks in substance it makes up for in sincerity. Honestly, i cannot think of ONE okay perhaps i can *cough* 101 W. Ohio *cough* that sticks out like a sore thumb. But even that pack of ciggerettes has a rather unique quality to it!

What im tryin to say is that granted our skyline isnt ground breaking, it is in its own respect special. Special in the sense it has stood the test of time. While the vast majority of our skyscraper's were built in the decedant eighties they still look fresh to this day... Why is that? I think it's mainly because we were not afraid to not be over the top... Thus, our skyline looks as good today as it did twenty years ago. Even if it's not mind-blowing!
Old April 26th, 2007, 04:46 AM   #120
Unionstation13

Quote:
I have no idea. I wonder if this affects the Bw3 in broadripple.

The interesting one to me is this:

"Washington Street between Meridian and Pennsylvania streets: Building west of Panda Express is listed by Midland Atlantic and Panda Express space is available for sublease by the owners."

My gut tells me that someone will buy and tear down the first three properties, including the burned out one, and build a mixed use mid to high rise.
As useless as this sounds, what are the plans for the historic brick building that is connected west of the burned out building? The other buildings, go ahead and knock them down, they are unsalvagable, and insignifigant, but that brick one is a very attractive building. If a highrise was there, that would be very interesting, of course, it would block the last clear view of the monument from Virginia.
And where the hell did this boom come from?! This is awesome.
And I agree about our skyline, though some of the buildings(CCB, hilton) arent exactly thrilling, they dont draw much attention either, our skyline is pretty timeless, with nothing to faddish. Many of the scrapers have hints of the time in which they were built, while retaining a timeless look. I always thought how lucky we are for not having a gaint concrete 70's tube.
Railroad bridges, some are pretty interesting, but some are just falling apart and dangerouse. Those areas need to be very lit up at night(and day). As for the railroads that cut downtown off to the south, those will need some work, I always thought they felt gritty and cool, but some greenery(betta lighting) and artwork along the walls would be more attractive.

Last edited by Unionstation13; April 26th, 2007 at 04:54 AM.
Unionstation13 no está en línea  

Closed Thread