daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 17th, 2007, 09:20 PM   #1221
Wu-Gambino

Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
The Little Flower area and areas immediately South are definitely in decline - maybe not full-blown decline - but a lot like the area around Michigan and Rural in the late 80's, early 90's.
Really? I was in Little Flower a few months back: the houses around 10th and Bosart look fine. I saw some young families in the neighborhood. The areas north and south of Little Flower looked sketchy.

I thought that the far eastside was also decaying, like the area around Eastgate, Washington Square, Shadeland, parts of Warren, etc.
Wu-Gambino no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #1222
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

I have some friends that just moved into Little Flower.. A young couple, I've hung out in the 'hood a bit and it seems to be perfectly fine.. it's just surrounded by crap.

I'm in Fountain Square, so Little Flower seems really nice as far as the quality of the neighborhood. I really like FS, but I'm hoping for that upswing. The proximity to the center of the city, LOS, and Conseco is amazing. I figure people are going to start spilling into FS in the next 10 years, there is already a decent influx of younger/responsible people. It amazes me 5 blocks away from me, Flether Place is so such a vibrant beautiful area, and of course the land/housing value.
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old June 17th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #1223
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

The problem with subdivision housing is that not only is much of it of poor architectural design and low quality construction and materials, but restrictive covanents make it impossible to do much with them to improve the situation.
Old June 17th, 2007, 11:46 PM   #1224
indyfiend
INDYFIEND

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan View Post
Here's a question for everyone:

Do you think Indy will ever get another pro sports team? If so, how long down the road?

I've heard that Major League Soccer, which is growing in popularity albeit slowly, has expressed interest in cities for expansion teams (Indianapolis being one of them), but there were little to no details. If such an expansion were to occur, it'd be several years down the road.

As much as I would love for Indy to have a MLB team, I think the potential is pretty slim with the Reds two hours away. I think Indy would need at least another million in the metro population to support an MLB baseball team, but MLS might be a different story.

Any thoughts?
When it comes to pro sports, it's very important not to saturate the market. For Indy's population size, the market is pretty well tapped for now. The Colts and Pacers along with 3 major auto racing events drawing a combined 800,000-900,000 fans is huge. I personally don't think there is any reason to pursue other leagues. MLB may be an option in the distant future as population increases, but its popularity continues to decline. It would be great it IUPUI's growth continues and their athletic teams become more prominent.
indyfiend no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2007, 12:04 AM   #1225
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

MLB is not a good fit for Indy. It is the one sport that does worst in the small market becase of the large number of games and lack of revenue sharing. Also, with an anti-trust exemption, the league can do what it wants, and it is clear tha the Cincinnati Reds would veto the relocation or expansion of any team into Indianapolis.
Old June 18th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #1226
IndyBob

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptown View Post
Really? I was in Little Flower a few months back: the houses around 10th and Bosart look fine. I saw some young families in the neighborhood. The areas north and south of Little Flower looked sketchy.

I thought that the far eastside was also decaying, like the area around Eastgate, Washington Square, Shadeland, parts of Warren, etc.
I was the Little Flower area two years ago looking for a house and I drove up and down all of the streets. The area is most definitely not getting better. And I also don't think it's stable. To me it's between "stable" and "in decline." The area from Colorado west has been dumpy for at least the last twenty-five years. What I noticed was that the dumpiness has spread eastward.

My cousin lives at 16th and Bosart. Her little one or two block stretch looks fine. But stand in her backyard and you can definitely see the decline to the East. There are still good areas, but the rental pockets are bringing it down. My assessment was it was not a good area to invest in property.

And I probably have a little different perspective than most folks on here, because I have seen the area over the last 35 years.

The area to the east of Eastgate is Warren Park and is probably the most stable area on the Eastside. If anyone ever has a chance to drive through it, it's worth it. The first three streets (9th, Springbrook S. and Springbrook N.) south of 10th and Edmondson (one block west of Shadeland) are great. As well as the home along 10th.
IndyBob no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2007, 12:51 AM   #1227
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminooo View Post
I have some friends that just moved into Little Flower.. A young couple, I've hung out in the 'hood a bit and it seems to be perfectly fine.. it's just surrounded by crap.

I'm in Fountain Square, so Little Flower seems really nice as far as the quality of the neighborhood. I really like FS, but I'm hoping for that upswing. The proximity to the center of the city, LOS, and Conseco is amazing. I figure people are going to start spilling into FS in the next 10 years, there is already a decent influx of younger/responsible people. It amazes me 5 blocks away from me, Flether Place is so such a vibrant beautiful area, and of course the land/housing value.
Fountain Square is definitely up and coming. There are a host of lots along the eastern side of Virginia Avenue that are waiting to be filled in.
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2007, 03:40 AM   #1228
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

It seems my question garnered a lot of responses. Thanks to all who replid. There is a lot of good information about Center Township in these past few pages.

Anyways, I drove back to Indy from Bloomington this weekend and unfortunately had to take I-465 to get to my home. That road is a piece of shit and desperately needs an additional traffic lane or two to relieve the obscene congestion. I am talking about the southern and eastern stretches of the road (the west side is scheduled to get a $1 BILLION makeover sarting in 2008).
hoosier no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2007, 03:42 AM   #1229
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Old Bush Stadium and Kuntz Stadium along 16th Street would make a GREAT location for a new IUPUI football stadium. Are there any plans to construct a real football stadium for the Jaguars?
hoosier no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2007, 03:51 AM   #1230
KM1410

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Old Bush Stadium and Kuntz Stadium along 16th Street would make a GREAT location for a new IUPUI football stadium. Are there any plans to construct a real football stadium for the Jaguars?
I don't think they have a football team.
KM1410 no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2007, 04:18 AM   #1231
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

theres bitchin starting about how Indianapolis thinks its the convention center of the midwest,
honestly, there is no love for Indy, it is as if people go out of their ways to attack it. jelousy
Old June 18th, 2007, 04:22 AM   #1232
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
theres bitchin starting about how Indianapolis thinks its the convention center of the midwest,
honestly, there is no love for Indy, it is as if people go out of their ways to attack it. jelousy
Where? I want in on the defense action.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2007, 04:24 AM   #1233
cityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
I know there was talk of building an arena for the basketball team, but I haven't heard much about it. An arena would be great for that campus, it'd also provide another venue for downtown Indy for concerts, conventions, etc.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2007, 04:24 AM   #1234
SRG

Likes (Received): 24

Huh wha-?

Nobody was going out of their way to rag on Indy. Most of us think of it as a great city. It was just a thread about downtown hotel room counts and somebody from St. Louis (I presume) made the accusation that Indy's convention ego is too big. Now to me it just sounds plain whiny to retort that with the accusation that everyone hates Indy. Then we just get ourselves into a way of egos, and it's written somewhere in forum rule that those can only occur over OKC. So let's all take a step back and cool off.
Old June 18th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #1235
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
Huh wha-?

Nobody was going out of their way to rag on Indy. Most of us think of it as a great city. It was just a thread about downtown hotel room counts and somebody from St. Louis (I presume) made the accusation that Indy's convention ego is too big. Now to me it just sounds plain whiny to retort that with the accusation that everyone hates Indy. Then we just get ourselves into a way of egos, and it's written somewhere in forum rule that those can only occur over OKC. So let's all take a step back and cool off.
I agree...There's always going to be some animosity towards Indy, and particularly from "rival" cities but it is something that should be taken in stride and not hostility.
Old June 18th, 2007, 04:50 AM   #1236
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1410 View Post
I don't think they have a football team.
IUPUI doesn't have a football team? I honestly did not know that. Which is a shame considering that I grew up just blocks away from the campus. I just kind of assumed that they did.
Old June 18th, 2007, 04:56 AM   #1237
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
Huh wha-?

oh great its SRG and his having to include OKC in every sentence possible.
Old June 18th, 2007, 07:58 AM   #1238
cityfan

Does anyone know if Kosene has already or when they will start construction on the Maxwell project?

I'm glad it will have street level retail. That's what Kosene should have done with the Hudson, that project on Alabama.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #1239
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan View Post
Does anyone know if Kosene has already or when they will start construction on the Maxwell project?

I'm glad it will have street level retail. That's what Kosene should have done with the Hudson, that project on Alabama.
I really like this design, and the fact that its sooo urban is refreshing.
Old June 18th, 2007, 08:13 PM   #1240
k2h

Likes (Received): 16

July 7th Indy Project Tour

In preparation for the July 7th Indy Project Tour, i've highlighted the particular projects of interest on the map below (highlighted in yellow) and mapped the public transit options (Indygo red/blue lines & People Mover).

As you will see, it looks as though we can reach most, if not all, projects by utilizing public transit and walking. Let me know your thoughts.

On last thing, i have a wedding at the Scottish Rite Cathedral in the afternoon on the 7th, so if we meet earlier in the day (around 10:00 AM?), does this time work for everyone?

k2h no está en línea  

Closed Thread