daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 18th, 2007, 08:30 PM   #1241
Paintrain

Likes (Received): 0

on that list there building 1932 hotel rooms
Paintrain no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #1242
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan View Post
Does anyone know if Kosene has already or when they will start construction on the Maxwell project?

I'm glad it will have street level retail. That's what Kosene should have done with the Hudson, that project on Alabama.
From the website:

The Maxwell
Coming Summer 2007:

Located at 530 East Ohio Street, the Maxwell is a contemporary, 4-story building featuring a blend of both residential and retail space. The 1st floor is completely dedicated to retail space and is designed to provide a tenant mix focused on goods and services related to the daily activities of downtown living. Floors 2 through 4 consist of 100+ residential units, including studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom flats as well as a select number of multi-story townhomes. Each residence features open-concept floorplans, designer finishes and secure underground parking. Whether a workplace, university enrollment or just a general appreciation for city life contribute to the decision to reside downtown, The Maxwell is perfectly situated for urban dwelling. For more information contact Mark Kosene at 317-423-9999.
http://www.koseneandkosene.com/maxwell/index.shtml

Not much more info besides that
Old June 18th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #1243
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

The Maxwell rendering sure looks like a 5-story building to me, but the Kosene description only says "4-story building" and the residential units on "floors 2 through 4". Perhaps the 4th floor units are the "multi-story townhomes" and extend to the 5th floor? I hope their description is incorrect, not the rendering.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #1244
CorrND
Moderator Chris

k2h -- 2 things that people might also be interested in are the site of The Cosmopolitan and the rehab being done on the Gibson Building, numbers 61 and 62 on your map.

The Cosmo site would just be a simple stop-and-stare (unless they start construction between now and then), but the Gibson Building really is turning about to be an amazing rehab. They're currently cleaning up the ground-floor stone work around the windows and the difference between the areas that are done and the areas that are still being cleaned up is striking. They've also added 4 or 5 in-sidewalk planters with trees and flowers between the building and Michigan that are not only a nice touch, but also provide a good barrier between pedestrians and the rush of cars on Michigan.

Unfortunately, no public transpo goes very close to there (at least, not the cheap lines you're talking about using), but people could walk down the canal from the head-of-canal projects to see these and then head west on Michigan to the red-line stop at Blackford and Michigan.

Just a thought.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #1245
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
It seems my question garnered a lot of responses. Thanks to all who replid. There is a lot of good information about Center Township in these past few pages.

Anyways, I drove back to Indy from Bloomington this weekend and unfortunately had to take I-465 to get to my home. That road is a piece of shit and desperately needs an additional traffic lane or two to relieve the obscene congestion. I am talking about the southern and eastern stretches of the road (the west side is scheduled to get a $1 BILLION makeover sarting in 2008).
I drive 465 on the southside every morning from Emerson to I-65. It's mostly due to the extra truck traffic that is banned from Super 70. It will get better in the fall I hope.
Old June 18th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #1246
k2h

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
k2h -- 2 things that people might also be interested in are the site of The Cosmopolitan and the rehab being done on the Gibson Building, numbers 61 and 62 on your map.

The Cosmo site would just be a simple stop-and-stare (unless they start construction between now and then), but the Gibson Building really is turning about to be an amazing rehab. They're currently cleaning up the ground-floor stone work around the windows and the difference between the areas that are done and the areas that are still being cleaned up is striking. They've also added 4 or 5 in-sidewalk planters with trees and flowers between the building and Michigan that are not only a nice touch, but also provide a good barrier between pedestrians and the rush of cars on Michigan.

Unfortunately, no public transpo goes very close to there (at least, not the cheap lines you're talking about using), but people could walk down the canal from the head-of-canal projects to see these and then head west on Michigan to the red-line stop at Blackford and Michigan.

Just a thought.

Thanks, CorrND. I wouldn't mind seeing these projects. We can play it by ear and check out some of these other projects if everyone has an interest.
k2h no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #1247
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Anyways, I drove back to Indy from Bloomington this weekend and unfortunately had to take I-465 to get to my home. That road is a piece of shit and desperately needs an additional traffic lane or two to relieve the obscene congestion. I am talking about the southern and eastern stretches of the road (the west side is scheduled to get a $1 BILLION makeover sarting in 2008).
Sorry to disappoint you, hoosier, but the I-465 west leg reconstruction is only about $400 million.

The south and southeast legs aren't going to be getting attention any time soon. There is nothing in INDOT's pipeline that I'm aware of and much of it was fully reconstructed as is, with no new lanes. (However, there were redesigned interchanges east of I-65).
Old June 18th, 2007, 11:59 PM   #1248
unvrsty07

Likes (Received): 116

Yes, 10 am July 7th
unvrsty07 no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2007, 03:14 AM   #1249
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
Sorry to disappoint you, hoosier, but the I-465 west leg reconstruction is only about $400 million.

The south and southeast legs aren't going to be getting attention any time soon. There is nothing in INDOT's pipeline that I'm aware of and much of it was fully reconstructed as is, with no new lanes. (However, there were redesigned interchanges east of I-65).
OK, my bad. I misread the total on the Major Moves website. The $1 billion figure is how much all of Marion County is getting from the toll road lease.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2007, 03:15 AM   #1250
hoosier

Quote:

INDOT ****ed up big time by not adding capacity when it rebuilt the SE leg of I-465 five years ago.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2007, 03:16 AM   #1251
hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
I drive 465 on the southside every morning from Emerson to I-65. It's mostly due to the extra truck traffic that is banned from Super 70. It will get better in the fall I hope.
I did not consider that. I assumed through truck traffic would stay on I-70 even though it is under construction.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2007, 03:20 AM   #1252
hoosier

Quote:

Maybe once the SR 238 interchange expansion is done and Olio/Mt. Comfort Road is widened (someday) to I-70 that will relieve some traffic on I-465. Wasn't the Mt. Comfort interchange at I-70 widened to accomodate an evetual four lane route? Now only if the state could find the funds to build the outer beltway from I-70 to County Line Road at I-65.

I know the ICC was supposed to divert truck traffic around Indy, but it went too far outside the city and would have been tolled. I didn't think it would have been necessary to extend the ICC past I-65 either.

Last edited by hoosier; June 19th, 2007 at 03:26 AM.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2007, 03:21 AM   #1253
hoosier

k2h, that is a good list. I don't mind walking to all of the sites. DT Indy is fairly compact. Perhaps we would need to take the bus to visit IUPUI but other than that all the sites are within walking distance.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2007, 07:54 AM   #1254
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Quote:
It seems my question garnered a lot of responses. Thanks to all who replid. There is a lot of good information about Center Township in these past few pages.

I actually drove down to Bloomington and back from Muncie over the weekend and the 465 loop around was very conjested and annoying. Also, I'm almost looking forward to SR37 becoming 69 - I hate all the stops and red lights. I'm used to I-69 north
Old June 19th, 2007, 02:25 PM   #1255
unvrsty07

Likes (Received): 116

I found this on IBJ and found it to be very interesting:

Getting on track
Indiana Transportation Museum rolls out expansion plan

Call it the little museum that could—or wants to, anyway.

After 47 years of relative anonymity, the Indiana Transportation Museum is steaming ahead with an effort to increase its visibility, attract new riders and eventually grow the organization.

This month, the Noblesville museum introduced an every-other-Saturday “Hoosier Heartland” train ride that introduces passengers to four Hamilton County communities, where they can tour gardens, hear stories and enjoy music. The train leaves Noblesville’s Forest Park at 10:35 a.m. and stops in Cicero, Arcadia and Atlanta before returning at 4:10 p.m.

Best known for the FairTrain it operates during the Indiana State Fair, ITM added the excursion as part of grander plans that include extending its reach to Indianapolis’ Union Station and moving from a volunteerbased organization to a paid staff.

The not-for-profit was founded in 1960 as an educational institution that preserves and teaches the history of Indiana railroads. The museum has 300 members, including 40 active volunteers who do everything from restoring, maintaining and driving the organization’s historic trains to interacting with passengers on various excursions.

“Indiana was built on using railroads and that is how the state got its motto ‘The Crossroads of America,’” said museum board Chairman Art Hall. “Trains played a huge part in Indiana economic development and it is the museum’s mission to expose people to the history of trains and what they meant to Indiana.”

The museum has only two paid employees, one of whom inspects the rails. The other was just hired to run an office in the Fishers Train Station, which also houses the Fishers Chamber of Commerce.

In addition to the new route and the Fair-Train, ITM offers dinner excursions, trips to various festivals and a wintertime “Polar Express” ride for children. Trains travel along a 40-mile stretch of track that runs from Tipton to 24th Street in Indianapolis.

The outdoor museum maintains about 100 pieces of equipment—including 14 stainless-steel coaches—on seven acres of tree-covered land in Noblesville. On weekends, visitors can pay $3 to wander the grounds and examine the historic trains and track.

The track is owned by the Hoosier Heritage Port Authority, which formed in 1995 to keep the line from being abandoned by the Norfolk Southern railroad.

Funding support

Hoosier Heartland debuted June 9 as a result of research the Hamilton County Convention and Visitors Bureau conducted last year. In a survey of about 750 potential travelers, “a train excursion to a small town where you can sample gourmet Midwestern fare” was the most popular choice, said Executive Director Brenda Myers. Adding the route also could help economic development efforts by encouraging business growth along the rail line, she said.

To encourage ITM’s expansion, the agency is giving the museum a total of $400,000 this year and next. The grant will help with marketing in hopes of attracting more passengers.

Some of the money already has been used to add an online reservation system, hire the administrative staff member in Fishers, put the trains on a regular cleaning schedule and hire a consulting firm.

Myers said funding came from a 2-percentage-point increase in Hamilton County’s innkeepers tax.

Hall said the expansion would not be possible now if it weren’t for the grant. The museum’s $500,000 budget, funded with membership dues and excursion fees, covers maintenance costs, but not much else.

The budget fluctuates depending on the number of riders each year. Hall said he does not have exact numbers for 2006, but the popular FairTrain carried about 20,000 riders to and from the state fair.

With the grant, the museum can cover additional expenses while still operating in the black, Myers said.
The novelty of ITM’s excursions was another factor in awarding the grant. Although other places have railroad museums where visitors can see equipment or tourist railroads that take passengers from one point to another, Myers said the visitors bureau did not find another entity that connected so many communities and provided activities in conjunction with the train rides.

In central Indiana, the closest competitor is the Indiana Rail Road Co. in Indianapolis. Each December, the freight hauler sends its Santa Train to 12 communities over three days so children can see Santa, said Executive Assistant Leigh Darbee. It also operates an Indiana History Train in collaboration with the Indiana Historical Society. Historical exhibits are displayed in the coaches as part of a five-year project.

Despite those programs, Darbee said the railroad’s main business is moving freight around the Midwest.

Future plans

If ITM’s expansion plans succeed, it likely will have to consider adding more paid staff, said Kirsten A. Grønbjerg of the Indiana University’s Center on Philanthropy.

Managing the growth will take more time than volunteers realistically have, she said, and having a paid staff can give some assurance that day-to-day activities will get completed.

“You may have volunteers who can do that, but you may not have them who are willing to do it for years and years,” Grønbjerg said.

If the museum is able to build an indoor facility, Hall said, he could see having 20 to 25 people on the payroll.
“We’re always having trouble attracting volunteers,” he said. “If the expansion program works, then at that point we will look into having paid staff.”

Although an indoor museum is on the drawing board, the specifics still need to be determined. He’s not even sure where it would be located.

Plans to connect ITM’s rail line with Union Station could provide enough of a revenue boost to help with the building project, if it attracts leisure passengers traveling to and from Hamilton County.

Dinner train passenger Larry Vaughn, 63, is familiar with the museum from the state FairTrain; he said its expansion goal is a worthy one.

“It is important to stay in touch with the past and the train has played a role in personal transportation and shipping goods,” the Fishers resident said. “There’s still a place for it here, especially with the increasing cost of fuel.”

Rolling ahead with ideas

The museum hired Indianapolis-based eGlobal Consulting Inc. to determine how to best implement ITM’s ideas. The company has met with board members to get a feel for their short- and long-term plans, said founder Jynell Berkshire.

“Now we’re on phase two where we’re starting to look at the next step to move the organization forward,” she said. “We’re getting community input, determining what areas need to be looked at to … [let] the Indiana community and other states know that ITM exists.”

Its goal is to have all the data, objectives, strategies and recommendations finished by the end of the summer, Berkshire said.

ITM’s expansion plans would not be possible without the great job the volunteers have done over the years, Myers said. And there’s no stopping now.

“I need to stress that to be economically viable, these wonderful people need to keep doing what they’re doing,” she said. “Some have a knowledge base you can’t buy on the market, so we need to continue training people who are willing to learn those kinds of things. Most are railroaders by passion, not by trade, and they love the history and making things go. … We’d like to have a support system and infrastructure so they can do what they do best, and that’s running trains.”

The marketing money will be critical to helping ITM reach its destination, said John Herbst, CEO of the Indiana Historical Society and former leader of the Indiana State Museum and Conner Prairie.

Museum attendance nationwide has been declining for about 30 years, he said, but it is difficult for Indiana institutions to market themselves given the state’s paltry funding for tourism.

“It costs so much more money to do than ever before because people are so bombarded with marketing efforts,” he said. “The smaller and more local the historical organization it is, the more challenging it’s going to be to have dollars to spend on marketing.” •
unvrsty07 no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2007, 04:08 PM   #1256
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Wow, I imagine connecting up to Union Station for "leisure passengers traveling to and from Hamilton County" could be wildly successful on Friday and Saturday nights, transporting people that would just like to get a nice meal at a downtown restaurant or go to the Symphony, etc.

Has anybody ever taken a ride on the FairTrain? How many people does the train hold?
CorrND no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2007, 07:26 PM   #1257
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Reminder for the meet-up on July 7th. There will be a USS Indianapolis Reunion parade. It will be on Penn and a few other streets. I believe it starts at 11:00. Might hinder traffic a wee bit.
Old June 19th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #1258
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Speedway to unveil 'Speed Zone Master Plan'

Speedway will unveil its "Speed Zone Master Plan" at 6 p.m. today at Speedway High School.

The plan, which includes concepts for development south of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and along Main Street, comes after a year of planning and public meetings by the Speedway Redevelopment Commission.

American Structurepoint designers will join officials in the presentation, which is to include a computer 3D virtual tour.

Afterward, attendees will be invited to view detailed project displays and interact with the planning and design team. The public is encouraged to attend, see the fruits of its input and see the bright future of Speedway take shape.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...OCAL/306190003
Old June 19th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #1259
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post
Speedway will unveil its "Speed Zone Master Plan" at 6 p.m. today at Speedway High School.

The plan, which includes concepts for development south of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and along Main Street, comes after a year of planning and public meetings by the Speedway Redevelopment Commission.

American Structurepoint designers will join officials in the presentation, which is to include a computer 3D virtual tour.

Afterward, attendees will be invited to view detailed project displays and interact with the planning and design team. The public is encouraged to attend, see the fruits of its input and see the bright future of Speedway take shape.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...OCAL/306190003
I'm going. I grew up in Speedway and am interested in how the plans came together. I'll try and snag some photos. I hope it's a good final plan. That town has been needing some design love for quite a while.
ablerock no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #1260
brianskye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
I'm going. I grew up in Speedway and am interested in how the plans came together. I'll try and snag some photos. I hope it's a good final plan. That town has been needing some design love for quite a while.
Get as much information as you can! I went to middle school through high school in Speedway, but can't attend the meeting tonight because of work. Please, come back and let us know everything you can! I can't wait to find out which plan they're going to choose!

Closed Thread