daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 19th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #1261
Paintrain

Likes (Received): 0

it will be interesting i would love a mills property there
Paintrain no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #1262
altfelix

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
I completely agree. In fact, I was also dubious and asked him in the comments section of Circles & Squares where he got the number and he said it came "straight from the fact sheet included in the press kit." Given all the other numbers he posted, including ballroom sizes that weren't reported elsewhere, it seems likely that he had the press kit.

I have little doubt that the numbers he posted are facts. But I agree, we probably shouldn't pass along possibly incorrect info without confirmation.
The 317' figure did pop up in a short blurb in one of those online trade publications, the Construction Digest.

http://www.acppubs.com/article/CA6450756.html
altfelix no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2007, 10:24 PM   #1263
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by altfelix View Post
The 317' figure did pop up in a short blurb in one of those online trade publications, the Construction Digest.

http://www.acppubs.com/article/CA6450756.html
That certainly reads like a blurb constructed from a fact sheet. It almost seems like someone created a Bush-style "talking points" list since every article mentions the exact same details and design points. That is, except for the height. I still don't understand why no one else is reporting that number.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2007, 02:54 AM   #1264
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

It is nice to see some action being taken on the Speedway Development proposal. There is so much potential there what with the IMS. I would love to see some love given to 16th Street and a midrise hotel/condo structure included in the plan.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2007, 03:04 AM   #1265
hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post
I actually drove down to Bloomington and back from Muncie over the weekend and the 465 loop around was very conjested and annoying. Also, I'm almost looking forward to SR37 becoming 69 - I hate all the stops and red lights. I'm used to I-69 north
I couldn't agree more. Other mid-sized Indiana cities have direct interstate access to Indianapolis or have an interstate nearby such as Anderson, Muncie, Terre Haute, Lafayette, Richmond, Evansville, and South Bend. But Bloomington, which has 70,000 people and a major research university gets a four lane road with ******* stoplights, although all of the major road crossings with 37 in Bloomington have interchanges.

And in INDOT's infinite wisdom, they decided to start building I-69 from the south north, meaning Bloomington won't see any construction for 20+ years most likely.

The most important stretch of I-69 is from Bloomington to Indy.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2007, 03:05 AM   #1266
hoosier

Hey arenn, I know that INDOT has no plans to widen the southern and eastern legs of I-465 soon, but they will be forced to if I-69 is ever completed. It is preposterous to have a six lane road carry THREE different interstates at the same time (I-465, I-74 and I-69).
hoosier no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2007, 03:22 AM   #1267
hoosier

Speedway Re-Development News

From the Indy Star:

More than a year’s worth of research, surveys and public hearings culminated today with a vision of a new Speedway community.

Planners from American Structurepoint unveiled a master plan for renovating 350 acres south of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and to highlight the town’s racing heritage. The plans were unveiled in a public meeting today at Speedway High School.

The most dramatic changes call for connecting 16th and Main streets with Crawfordsville Road, creating a new intersection with a roundabout at the southwest corner of the track.

The plan suggests angling 16th Street southeast along an old interurban rail line to create a second roundabout where it would meet with Holt Road.

Moving 16th Street would create a campus-like setting adjacent to the track that could be used for race-related tourist attractions, including the possibility of moving the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum to a more prominent location outside the track.

The town’s existing business district along Main Street would undergo major changes with the hopes of creating a thriving area similar to Downtown Indianapolis.

Plans call for multi-story buildings on each side of the street to provide both retail and residential uses.

Speedway’s aging buildings, vacant lots and slumping economy led town leaders to seek new uses for the area bounded by 10th, 16th and Main streets and the town’s eastern border. Town officials focused on utilizing their proximity to the track to add amenities that would attract tourists and racing-related businesses.

Specific details of what amenities could be added haven’t been determined.Speedway officials will get a chance to approve the plan in late July.

They hope to get many of the changes in place in time for the 100th anniversary of the first Indianapolis 500 in 2011.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2007, 04:22 AM   #1268
k2h

Likes (Received): 16

Speedway Redevelopment

Click the link below to access additional information and images of the proposed redevelepment project for Speedway...

http://www.redevelopspeedway.com/unveiled.html
k2h no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2007, 05:05 AM   #1269
hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2h View Post
Click the link below to access additional information and images of the proposed redevelepment project for Speedway...

http://www.redevelopspeedway.com/unveiled.html
Cool link. I like the renders. Do you where I could find an aerial overview of the site plan? I am intrigued about the Holt Road expansion. The way it abruptly terminates currently is pretty ****ed up.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2007, 05:18 AM   #1270
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Speeday would be a total tear down and rebuild,
I mean, some of the 1920s and 30s hoods should be preserved, and some of those old buildings, but the rest, knock em down, and build some dense buildingsa long the highway, and create a sort of walking european plaza with fountians and buildings at the race way.
Old June 20th, 2007, 06:21 AM   #1271
k2h

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Cool link. I like the renders. Do you where I could find an aerial overview of the site plan? I am intrigued about the Holt Road expansion. The way it abruptly terminates currently is pretty ****ed up.
http://www.redevelopspeedway.com/PDF...%208-27-05.pdf
k2h no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #1272
billionbucks
Colts Fan

I LOVE the choice for speedway! If everything works out... it looks like Speedway will be the next Broad Ripple or Fountain Square!

HERE is the video, includes an overview:
http://redevelopspeedway.com/video/I...MainSt.WEB.wmv

Old June 20th, 2007, 08:24 AM   #1273
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. Other mid-sized Indiana cities have direct interstate access to Indianapolis or have an interstate nearby such as Anderson, Muncie, Terre Haute, Lafayette, Richmond, Evansville, and South Bend. But Bloomington, which has 70,000 people and a major research university gets a four lane road with ******* stoplights, although all of the major road crossings with 37 in Bloomington have interchanges.

And in INDOT's infinite wisdom, they decided to start building I-69 from the south north, meaning Bloomington won't see any construction for 20+ years most likely.

The most important stretch of I-69 is from Bloomington to Indy.
omg thats so dumb, are you serious? I think the only thing they really need is to get the bloomington-indy piece upgraded first. That is the dumbest thing ever to start south.
Old June 20th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #1274
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
The turnout was huge. Speedway HS auditorium was standing room only. I wish planning events for Indianapolis would attract that many people.

I'm very sorry about the poor quality of this shot. It was taken from the projection. They had a small print in the hall afterward but hordes of old people were huddled around it and I was getting sick of the smell. ;-)

I have no idea why none of the SRC material shows the aerial. The road changes are the best part of the plan, and of course, the aerial gives one the best sense of the proposed changes.

The south end of the track is visible in the top of this picture:

As you can see, 16th St./Crawfordsville Rd. is totally realigned. They're proposing a giant plaza in the triangular area directly south of the track. They propose "extracting the museum" and placing it in that area. I wholeheartedly agree with that idea.

The President of Allison and The IMS were both present and totally support the plan. As a graduate of Speedway HS, it was a very exciting evening. The plan, while not flawless, far exceeded my expectations. I can't wait to see what they propose for Zone 2.
ablerock no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2007, 04:28 PM   #1275
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

I'd also like to add that repeated keyphrases for the night were "high-density" "mixed-use" "timeless & spectacular architecture" "monumental" "pedestrian-friendly" "greenery," "recreation" "multi-mode transportation," "connectivity," and "neighborhood pride." All could be considered cliche, but at least they're shooting high.

They also proposed what basically amounts to a Speedway version of the Indianapolis Cultural Trail. The planner, a graduate of Ball State, really did a good job of convincing the SRC to incorporate all modes of transportation. Considering the median age of the audience was +50. He did a great job of selling more progressive planning ideas to a conservative audience. The knockout punch was at the end when he showed a before/after shot of Main St. The audience gasped. I'd bet 95% of the audience fully supports the plan.
ablerock no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #1276
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

I don't like the idea of shifting 16th St. south and disengaging it from the Speedway. Also, it looks to me like they are pretty much just going to fill the newly created triangle in with parking lots.
Old June 20th, 2007, 05:45 PM   #1277
ragerunner1

Likes (Received): 44

Now comes the hard part, turning the vision into reality. Lets hope in 3 to 4 years we see some significant construction that will really improve this area and its tourism.
ragerunner1 no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #1278
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

I'm curious about the realignment of 16th onto part of the old railroad ROW (sorry I don't know what line that is/was). I realize that connection to Brownsburg is probably very low on the mass transit priority list, but is this ROW at all being considered as part of the long-term plans for regional mass-transit? At the very least, they're using up the last 1/4 mile that could easily connect a transit line to Main Street and the Speedway itself.

That concern aside, this Speedway revitalization looks amazing.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old June 20th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #1279
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

If Speedway can be revitlized like that, that will probably start a chain of development between speedway and downtown. The white river near speedway has peotential. It has a beautiful view, and if it had something like the canal sides, pedestrian bridges, etc, it would really be a great place to live. The whiteriver is so underused it seems. A restruant looking down the whiteriver, near downtown would be great.
Old June 20th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #1280
indyfiend
INDYFIEND

I think it's a good idea to realign the streets. I worked at the speedway for a summer internship a few years ago, and the congestion of pedestrian and motor traffic on the streets that run right next to the speedway is awful. Granted, cramming 300-400 thousand people in one spot is always going to cause congestion, but I think having a larger buffer between IMS and the streets is a good idea.
indyfiend no está en línea  

Closed Thread