daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 21st, 2007, 05:52 PM   #1301
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt986 View Post
Are you sure this is open? Last time I went by (less than a week ago) it looked to still be a long way from opening. They've had the "opening Muy Pronto" sign in the window for about a year! I'll believe it's open when I see them actually serving food.

For authentic Mexican in the area don't overlook the Tex-Mex in the Crystal Flash gas station on East and Prospect (?). I believe that Wednesday is $1 taco night (at least it used to be, I haven't been there in a while).
Hmmm....don't actually have a clue. I haven't been by there in a while and thought I remembered a comment on another blog saying it was open and took a guess. I'll change it to working.
CorrND no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2007, 06:02 PM   #1302
Paintrain

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
How many steakhouses can downtown Indy support? I am astonished at the quantity and that there hasn't been a big shakeout.

i dont know how they all survive either most them are the only location in the indy area i really want to try the weber grill restaurant when it opens it looks really kool
Paintrain no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2007, 06:20 PM   #1303
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
How many steakhouses can downtown Indy support? I am astonished at the quantity and that there hasn't been a big shakeout.
Honestly, I've only ever been in Ruth's Chris (awesome every single time) and St. Elmo's (ho-hum) and they both seem to be perpetually full regardless of night and events in town. For the downtown steakhouse group as a whole, my guess is that the margins are so huge on high-end steakhouses that they are able to squeak by during the slow times and make their big money when conventions are in town.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2007, 06:28 PM   #1304
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

I can't explain the steakhouse phenomenon. I suppose people assume the downtowns of big cities are supposed to have a place where you can get expensive ass steak, so there you go.

Has The Cheesecake Factory made its way into the core yet?
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2007, 08:32 PM   #1305
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Welcome back Cory! Here is a letter to the editor comment in today's Indystar. I would have to disagree....

June 21, 2007

Ruining the beauty of iconic skyscraper
June 21, 2007

It's time to say goodbye to a great icon, the Indiana National Bank Tower, now Regions Bank Building, soon to be stripped and reskinned, tarred and feathered.
Built in 1968 by the eccentric modernist developer and architect Thomas E. Stanley, the INB Tower was the city's tallest building at the time. With its Greek proportions and Miesian massing, it was a great, beautiful skyscraper of dark glass and Carrera marble reaching for the sky in thin, ordered bands, capped by a story of blue light.
Even after a gruesome makeover in the early 1990s, which removed most of the marble, changed the windows and put a ridiculous appliqué over the top, she still stood proud among the city's skyscrapers. When Mother Nature and the good Lord joined forces more than a year ago and took matters into their own hands, long sections of the '90s makeover exterior were torn off. "Yes!" the crowds cried.
Now she will be turned into a Frankenstein. Her ordered colonnade will support a freakish departure, a standard glass curtain wall system seen on uninteresting buildings from Berlin to Sydney. She will be as malformed and unharmonious as the Central Library and they will call it beautiful to hide their mistakes. I am glad Thomas E. Stanley is not alive to see what they've done to his gift to us.
Vessel G. Von Ruhtenberg
Indianapolis
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...1031/OPINION01
Old June 21st, 2007, 08:45 PM   #1306
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

I think that's bullshit. The Regions bank building is bland AND it takes up an entire city block. Although the redesign isn't anything special, it's certainly an improvement.
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2007, 08:57 PM   #1307
k2h

Likes (Received): 16

Bus Rapid Transit (BRT)

Quote:
It would actually be relatively inexpensive to start providing much better transit service in Indianapolis. The problem is that no one is interested in doing that because it doesn't involve grandiose expenditures on sexy light rail lines and contracts for politically connected firms.

Start with the #17 College. I would tweak the route a bit, including extending it up Keystone to the Woodfield Crossing and Keystone Crossing complexes. There are already 15 minute headways at rush hour and 30 minute headways off peak, making this the best route in the city such as it is.

15 minutes headways is the maximum for really usable transit, and 10 minutes is the practical max. (Longer than that, and you can't just show up to catch the bus or train but need to consult a schedule - no good). I suggest upgrading this service to 5-7 minute headways at peak period with 10 minute off peak, and maybe some lower grade service in the late evenings/early mornings. Hours of service should be from 5am to midnight or 1am.

Combine this with aggressive marketing, partnerships with firms, etc, TOD encouragement, real bus stops, etc., and you have the makings of real bus service.

With the strong destinations along this route, the existing commercial nodes, multiple areas with difficult parking, and the large residential component, if this route isn't successful, then you should really have to ask yourself what you think light rail in a much less hospitable environment would bring. It is also a great test case for TOD because a) there already is effectively TOD commercial and b) if you can't densify this corridor, how can you possibly believe that the hard core burbs will allow TOD?
Arenn - I'm with you on the upgrades to the bus system. Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) has proven very effective in many cities and needs to be more seriously considered and aggressively marketed as a part of the regional transportation studies in Indianapolis.

Los Angeles County has the second largest transit system in the U.S. and BRT is an integral component to the overall mass trasit expansion plans. BRT has come to be viewed as a solid alternative to more expensive rail systems (btw, LA County does have a subway system). BRT did not become a priority easily and there are definitely skeptics that continue to downplay the benefits, but I think BRT in LA County may prove to be the model that many cities copy as the system gains credibility.

One last thing, the Los Angeles BRT system is called "Metro Rapid" and along with having an aggressive marketing campaign, the system is administered by following these simple principles:

Simple route layout: Makes it easy to find, use and remember
Frequent service: Buses arrive as often as every 3-10 minutes during peak commuting times
Fewer stops: Stops spaced about a ¾ mile apart, like rail lines, at most major transfer points
Level boarding: Low-floor buses speed-up dwell times
Bus priority at traffic signals: New technology reduces traffic delay by extending the green light or shortening the red light to help Metro Rapid get through intersections
Color-coded buses and stops: Metro Rapid’s distinctive red paint makes it easy to identify Metro Rapid stops and buses
Enhanced stations: Metro Rapid stations provide information, lighting, canopies and “Next Trip” displays

k2h no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2007, 08:58 PM   #1308
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownBoy View Post
I think that's bullshit. The Regions bank building is bland AND it takes up an entire city block. Although the redesign isn't anything special, it's certainly an improvement.
Exactly. I have worked in this building for 12 years now. I have to look at that funky sheet metal patch every day. There are still some attorneys in some of the affected offices that cannot return as the interior damage is still too severe.
Old June 21st, 2007, 09:19 PM   #1309
CorrND
Moderator Chris

The signature on that letter to the editor sounds like a name they'd use in an SNL sketch.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2007, 09:27 PM   #1310
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
Welcome back Cory! Here is a letter to the editor comment in today's Indystar. I would have to disagree....

June 21, 2007

Ruining the beauty of iconic skyscraper
June 21, 2007

It's time to say goodbye to a great icon, the Indiana National Bank Tower, now Regions Bank Building, soon to be stripped and reskinned, tarred and feathered.
Built in 1968 by the eccentric modernist developer and architect Thomas E. Stanley, the INB Tower was the city's tallest building at the time. With its Greek proportions and Miesian massing, it was a great, beautiful skyscraper of dark glass and Carrera marble reaching for the sky in thin, ordered bands, capped by a story of blue light.
Even after a gruesome makeover in the early 1990s, which removed most of the marble, changed the windows and put a ridiculous appliqué over the top, she still stood proud among the city's skyscrapers. When Mother Nature and the good Lord joined forces more than a year ago and took matters into their own hands, long sections of the '90s makeover exterior were torn off. "Yes!" the crowds cried.
Now she will be turned into a Frankenstein. Her ordered colonnade will support a freakish departure, a standard glass curtain wall system seen on uninteresting buildings from Berlin to Sydney. She will be as malformed and unharmonious as the Central Library and they will call it beautiful to hide their mistakes. I am glad Thomas E. Stanley is not alive to see what they've done to his gift to us.
Vessel G. Von Ruhtenberg
Indianapolis
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...1031/OPINION01
mobyhead, i think you should write a letter to the editor in favor of the redesign.
Old June 21st, 2007, 09:54 PM   #1311
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Ivy Tech sketches future with more space

Community college unveils renderings of what campus could look like in 4-5 years

Ivy Tech Community College of Indiana has big plans for its Near-Northside campus.

The school has released renderings to help folks imagine what the area around the intersection of Fall Creek Boulevard and Illinois Street could look like in four or five years, including a renovated community center and academic space in what was once the home of St. Vincent Hospital.

Jeff Fanter, a spokesman for the college system, says the campus is one of the fastest-growing of its kind in the country, and the school needs more space. The legislature has allocated about $69.3 million for the work, he said, which could be conducted over the next two to four years.

While the planning has only just started, perhaps the most visible change has to do with the old Weyerbacher Terrace Apartments at Fall Creek and Illinois.

While a portion of the building has been torn down, parts of it will be preserved as Ivy Tech expands onto the grounds.

The building was sold to Ivy Tech by the city for $1 in 2006. It was home to St. Vincent until the 1970s, when it was converted into apartments. It was closed in 2003 and taken over by the federal government when the owner defaulted on loan payments.

The city bought the property for $10 from the federal government in 2004. City officials consider it a local landmark and said at the time of the sale to Ivy Tech that they were pleased that part of the building would be saved.

What could be: Ivy Tech Community College released renderings of what the area around the intersection of Fall Creek Boulevard and Illinois Street could look like in four or five years. Jeff Fanter, a spokesman for the college system, says the school needs more space.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...6210524/-1/RSS
CorrND no está en línea  
Old June 21st, 2007, 10:22 PM   #1312
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post
mobyhead, i think you should write a letter to the editor in favor of the redesign.
When I started working here I wrote a letter to Mike's Mailbag on Channel 8, and they read it on the air. The city skyline they were using still had Indiana National Bank on the top. It was at the end of the 11:00 broadcast and when they went back to the studio shot Mark Patrick was standing at the skyline picture with a piece of white paper covering the INB signage on top. I thought it was neat. I recorded it for shits and grins.

Last edited by mobyhead; June 21st, 2007 at 11:28 PM.
mobyhead no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 12:00 AM   #1313
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
The signature on that letter to the editor sounds like a name they'd use in an SNL sketch.
He's a real person. One of the best local musicians in town. I don't necessarily agree with his worship of that mediocre building, but he is a nice person who can write and play some mighty fine songs.

I haven't listened to any of his recent material lately, so don't take me to town if his current songs are lacking. :-)

Vess Ruhtenberg's Myspace

image hosted on flickr
ablerock no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 01:04 AM   #1314
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
I said the same thing awhile back in the last Indy development thread. The White River is a jewel. It is a shame that Indy turns its back on the river instead of embracing it as it should. The near West side across the river from IUPUI could be a great midrise residential area serving students and young professionals.
I have driven through there, there are many jewls! The Old Indiana state hospital is amazing.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 01:42 AM   #1315
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
He's a real person. One of the best local musicians in town. I don't necessarily agree with his worship of that mediocre building, but he is a nice person who can write and play some mighty fine songs.

I haven't listened to any of his recent material lately, so don't take me to town if his current songs are lacking. :-)

Vess Ruhtenberg's Myspace

image hosted on flickr

He kind of looks like Jack White.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 01:57 AM   #1316
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

Speaking of restaurant news:

Jefferson Plaza revamp underway June 21, 2007

Downtown’s Jefferson Plaza is getting a facelift and a new name. Developer J. Greg Allen says he’s talking with three potential restaurants interested in opening on the first floor with outdoor dining on the plaza. He would not name the restaurants but said each would be new to Indianapolis. The 90,000-square-foot former bank building along Pennsylvania Street just south of Washington Street also will be getting a new name: Allen Plaza. The $12-million renovation project includes a facade touch-up (shown here) and 30 new condos ranging up to $1 million on the top five floors. The second, third and fourth floors will be offices.

Outdoor seating will be nice, I hope it's a classy joint. Also, I love when developers name projects after themselves.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 02:02 AM   #1317
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
I wonder how he got a letter in to the editor? I wonder if he had an agreement with a friend at the Star to print something from him, and he chose to write about something totally random. That seems like something he'd do.
I think you're on to something. I actually read his opinion in InTake, before seeing the post about the Indy Star Letter here.

http://www.intakeweekly.com/articles...-7507-158.html

Anyways, I don't know why Vess is bitching. It's just architectural karma. That building has been doomed since it was built. ;-)

As we all know, not only does One Indiana Square stand where Massachusetts Avenue used to run, obliterating part of Indy's original street grid, but this (Knights of Pythias), and other buildings were destroyed to make way for it:

Last edited by ablerock; June 22nd, 2007 at 03:37 AM. Reason: My [email protected]$# pictures wouldn't show up! :-)
ablerock no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 02:54 AM   #1318
IndyYeah

INB

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
Two things strike me as odd about his complaints. One, the INB design is and was not ever an original design. In fact, it's been duplicated and has twins in many cities. Two, he complains about the refacade being flat as a pancake... Well, the original facade that he loved so much was... flat as a pancake..

This is just Vess yanking as many people's chains as possible. I didn't know him too well, one of his bandmates was a roommate of mine years ago, but I did know him well enough to observe that he'd get involved in off the wall causes... perhaps for attention.. perhaps just to see people's reactions... I don't know. He's an interesting guy.

for the record, I'm not a fan of the new facade either.
The lower part needs to be done to match the rest of the design. That is tacky. To keep the walk in area and such the same is not professional. Todd Maurer, though is at least going a progressive way with 3 Mass., I applaud that!
IndyYeah no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 03:02 AM   #1319
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Well, my question about IvyTech expansion in Indianapolis was answered!! The renderings look nice, although I am sure the design will change.

The expansion will hopefully spur further development in the near Northside along Meridian, Capitol, and Illinois.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 03:04 AM   #1320
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Regarding VVR, sometimes you CAN learn much about an individual just by looking at a photograph of them!!

Seriously, when I found out the guy was a believer in alien abductions and UFOs, I was not the least bit surpised.
hoosier no está en línea  

Closed Thread