daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:05 PM   #1341
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 131

My vote for Best Chinese goes to ShenYang on Georgetown just north of 38th. I;ve only been there for dimsum on Saturday mornings, but mmmmm mmmmm mmmmmm, is it ever good. Comparable to what I had in Hong Kong last year.
cjfjapan no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:11 PM   #1342
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjfjapan View Post
My vote for Best Chinese goes to ShenYang on Georgetown just north of 38th. I;ve only been there for dimsum on Saturday mornings, but mmmmm mmmmm mmmmmm, is it ever good. Comparable to what I had in Hong Kong last year.
I just drove past Shen Yang the other day with a guy in my lab from China and he said it was by far the best dimsum in town. This is the second mention in a week....I'll have to try it out.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:16 PM   #1343
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post
I cant wait to see designs for the new convention center space where the RCA Dome is....
Come to the July 7th meetup.
ablerock no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:41 PM   #1344
Matt986

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
I just drove past Shen Yang the other day with a guy in my lab from China and he said it was by far the best dimsum in town. This is the second mention in a week....I'll have to try it out.
I agree. We love dim sum at Shen Yang. The dinner menu has some very authentic dishes as well.
Matt986 no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:43 PM   #1345
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt986 View Post
I agree. We love dim sum at Shen Yang. The dinner menu has some very authentic dishes as well.
THANKS FOR THIS INFO. Much like mexican, most chinese restaurants all seem to buy their food from the same "kit."
Old June 23rd, 2007, 06:39 AM   #1346
jobecob

Likes (Received): 43

I really love the dimsum at Shen Yang also I'd been there a lot
jobecob no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2007, 07:58 AM   #1347
indyfiend
INDYFIEND

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post

The view of the city will be really cool from the stadium... I cant wait to see designs for the new convention center space where the RCA Dome is....
It's amazing how the inside view looks like Conseco on steriods. I still think Conseco is the #1 sports venue in the country, so hopefully LOS will feel the same. GO COLTS!!
indyfiend no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2007, 05:49 PM   #1348
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Reading the comments on some of the articles in the IndyStar makes me wonder if Indiana has ever left the 1920s. For example, there is an article in today's Star about a Muslim convention at which Presidential candidate Mike Gravel will speak. The comments are nothing short of violent racist diatribes. There are posters advocating police violence at the attendees and ones that make ridiculous generalizations about Islam and Muslims that show an utter ignorance about the political realities in the Middle East.

Today, I am ashamed to be a Hoosier.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2007, 06:54 PM   #1349
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Reading the comments on some of the articles in the IndyStar makes me wonder if Indiana has ever left the 1920s. For example, there is an article in today's Star about a Muslim convention at which Presidential candidate Mike Gravel will speak. The comments are nothing short of violent racist diatribes. There are posters advocating police violence at the attendees and ones that make ridiculous generalizations about Islam and Muslims that show an utter ignorance about the political realities in the Middle East.

Ashamed to be a hoosier? Being a hoosier isnt about being ultra conservative and retarded, heck, Indiana has a growing social liberal population!
Being a hoosier means, well. Being from Indiana, the state of racing and basketball!
Trust me, there are several states three times more conservative and ignorant than Indiana.
Heck, did anyone know Gary was ranked the second most liberal city in the US?(on a vote sheet)
Outside major metros, it is more conservative, but, thats slowly changing.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 06:58 PM   #1350
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

The LOS is looking beautiful.
I was worried it would look fake and ugly. But the materials actually make it look old, like the conseco fieldhouse.
The LOS fits in with downtown, and adds to the skyline.
I just cant wait to see the RCA dome go down. Its ugly, and blocks my view of St.Johns!!
I hope they take this chance to make the new part of the CC something of interesting design, something that makes you stop. But I highly doubt it.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 07:11 PM   #1351
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:

I don't even look at the Indystar forums anymore. Those idiots will find any way possible to ruin a thread. I suppose the casualness of the Internet, along with the anonymity of the users makes it a playground for bigots and political ranting.
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2007, 07:43 PM   #1352
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:

I know exactly what you're saying. I really don't understand the Indy Star forums at all. They can't possibly be a representation of the population of Indianapolis and its opinions. It's really just a group of people that have nothing better to do with their time.

Most intelligent people in Indy don't really read the Star anyway. It's really gotten worse, I've noticed.

Last edited by cityfan; June 23rd, 2007 at 07:51 PM.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2007, 07:57 PM   #1353
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

You know, they should've gotten rid of the Star, NOT the News.
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2007, 08:19 PM   #1354
cityfan

Here's what any city could use more of: Independent bookstores.

From IBJ:

Irvington book store starting small

Type of business: books, music, art supplies and gifts
Phone: 354-8000
E-mail: [email protected]
Web site: www.sleepyhollowstore.com or www.myspace.com/sleepyhollowstore
Founded: April 2007
Owner: Bobbie and Joanna Zaphiriou

Owners’ backgrounds: Bobbie Zaphiriou, 25, has worked in bookshops since she was 16. Sister-in-law Joanna Zaphiriou, 31, graduated from IUPUI with a degree in anthropology, and managed Hollywood Bar and Filmworks, where she learned about running a business.

Why started business: The two talked for years about opening their own bookstore, and in late 2006 decided to stop dreaming and start doing.
“We strongly believe … no matter how bad a person’s life might get, it can be turned around through art and literature,” Bobbie said. “Irvington has a long history of art and literature and it was named after Washington Irving, which fits. This town and east Indianapolis can never have enough of art, music and books.”

Competitive advantage: Even though the store is smaller than some bookshops, Bobbie said she tries to have a better selection. She said her background in the book business helps her decide what new and used books customers want to read. The store’s central location in historic Irvington, about five miles east of downtown, is another advantage, she said. “We’re also new and not burnt out yet,” Bobbie said. Startup cost: $13,000 Funding source: loans Projected first-year revenue:
$121,000

Potential problem and contingency plan: Because the economy is not strong, Bobbie said she could understand how people might come in and enjoy the store without purchasing anything.
She said she and Joanna would fulfill the two-year lease no matter what happens, but if their business doesn’t thrive, they would have to wait tables or work second jobs.

First-year goal: Bobbie wants to provide a small area for food and drinks, display local artworks and increase the selection of music and books.

Five-year vision: Bobbie said she would like to have the store on its own property in Irvington. She’d also like more employees so she and Joanna can have days off.

This is great news for Irvington. The best neighborhoods in cities are dominated by local businesses, and this will be a great addition. Hope it lasts.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2007, 08:28 PM   #1355
cityfan

Here's a little bit of an update on that $50 million project at 18th and Meridian.

From IBJ:

A local developer is proposing a $50 million mixed-use project along Meridian Street just north of downtown.
The project would incorporate the existing Grain Dealers Mutual Insurance building in the 1700 block of North Meridian St. and add a 14-story tower with a sixfloor, 130-room hotel and 160 condos. Developers are zeroing in on Indigo, an InterContinental brand, for the hotel.
The building would extend a block west to Illinois Street, where a 600-car parking garage would feature 14,000 square feet of street-level retail space along Illinois and office space along 18th Street.
The developer, locally based Inner-Urban Homes & Hospitality, is asking the city to vacate air rights above Pierson Street to allow for the new building to extend from Meridian to Illinois. Planning staff has recommended approval. A hearing is scheduled for July 12.
The project, which would be next door to the new headquarters for WFYI Teleplex, was designed by Greenwood-based MECA Design Group.

Hotel Indigo is pretty nice. My friend stayed at one in Atlanta and said it wasn't bad at all for a chain boutique hotel.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old June 23rd, 2007, 09:07 PM   #1356
hoosier

I didn't mean to take this thread off-topic, I just needed a place to vent. Basically, most of the posters are convinced that all of these conventioners are terrorists that want to take over the country and turn it into a theocracy.

Well, they are too late for that in this country. We have one alright, but isn't Muslim!!
hoosier no está en línea  
Old June 24th, 2007, 04:31 AM   #1357
jtsnewo56

Likes (Received): 0

I've stayed at the Hotel Indigo in Chicago. I was pleasantly surprised. I got the room on Hotwire, and after reading the description of the hotel I rolled my eyes thinking it would be horrible.
jtsnewo56 no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 05:36 AM   #1358
hoosier

I love Indy, but its road infrastructure is inadequate, especially when compared to other cities of similar size such as Charlotte and San Antonio. Even Raleigh has better roads.

Charlotte in particular has better roads, more downtown development, and light-rail. And it has a smaller MSA and city population!! I daresay that their taxes are lower as well. We need to transplant the governance of some of these booming southern metropolises to Indianapolis.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 04:45 PM   #1359
Matt986

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
Hmmm....don't actually have a clue. I haven't been by there in a while and thought I remembered a comment on another blog saying it was open and took a guess. I'll change it to working.
Okay, I've seen it with my own eyes. The Mexican restaurant on the corner of Prospect and Virginia is open. I didn't have a chance to eat there, and I'm back up in Chicago all week, so if anyone has a chance to try it let us know how it is.
Matt986 no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #1360
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan View Post
Here's a little bit of an update on that $50 million project at 18th and Meridian.

From IBJ:

A local developer is proposing a $50 million mixed-use project along Meridian Street just north of downtown.
The project would incorporate the existing Grain Dealers Mutual Insurance building in the 1700 block of North Meridian St. and add a 14-story tower with a sixfloor, 130-room hotel and 160 condos. Developers are zeroing in on Indigo, an InterContinental brand, for the hotel.
The building would extend a block west to Illinois Street, where a 600-car parking garage would feature 14,000 square feet of street-level retail space along Illinois and office space along 18th Street.
The developer, locally based Inner-Urban Homes & Hospitality, is asking the city to vacate air rights above Pierson Street to allow for the new building to extend from Meridian to Illinois. Planning staff has recommended approval. A hearing is scheduled for July 12.
The project, which would be next door to the new headquarters for WFYI Teleplex, was designed by Greenwood-based MECA Design Group.

Hotel Indigo is pretty nice. My friend stayed at one in Atlanta and said it wasn't bad at all for a chain boutique hotel.
This is my most-anticpated development right now. If this thing takes off, it will completely change Midtown and signal it's rebirth as a totally viable downtown alternative. The prices downtown are far too high. The Herron High School, Meridian at 21, the proposed streetscape projects for Meridian and 16th Streets and this should really change the area!!

Closed Thread