daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 25th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #1361
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
This is my most-anticpated development right now. If this thing takes off, it will completely change Midtown and signal it's rebirth as a totally viable downtown alternative. The prices downtown are far too high. The Herron High School, Meridian at 21, the proposed streetscape projects for Meridian and 16th Streets and this should really change the area!!
I agree. This project has the greatest ability to do the greatest change. With 16th street slowly developing between the Monon and Methodist, the area is really taking off.

You brought up a good point about Midtown becoming a more affordable option to Downtown. I hope the developer takes note of the demand for cheaper housing.

When are they planning on starting the Meridian streetscape improvements?

Also, does anyone know why Meridian at 21 has been taking so long? I feel like they've just had the foundations up for the townhomes for months now. When's it slated for completion?
cityfan no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2007, 06:11 PM   #1362
thehoss257

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
I didn't mean to take this thread off-topic, I just needed a place to vent. Basically, most of the posters are convinced that all of these conventioners are terrorists that want to take over the country and turn it into a theocracy.

Well, they are too late for that in this country. We have one alright, but isn't Muslim!!
Hoosier, I understand your frustration, but I think you are being irrational now.
thehoss257 no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #1363
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

I haven't heard too much about the Martindale on Monon project in the forum. I don't know how many of you have been following it, but it really looks great. It's on the scale of Fall Creek Place and it will really add to the Near-Northside, by creating a real residential community that is hopefully attractive to both families and younger singles. Your thoughts?

http://www.martindaleonthemonon.com/index.htm
cityfan no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #1364
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan View Post
With 16th street slowly developing between the Monon and Methodist, the area is really taking off.
Would you really describe 16th St. as "taking off"? We've got a new Walgreens, a replacement for that disgusting White Castle, 9 condos in the Walsingham refurb, and the 17 unit Herron re-use. That's a bit disappointing to me, especially from a retail perspective. I thought someone would have put some street-level retail in between Pennsylvania and Central by now. The area isn't going to get much more dense and it certainly isn't going to get any more rich than it is right now. What are developers waiting for? Is it not viable? (no way....)
CorrND no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #1365
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
Would you really describe 16th St. as "taking off"? We've got a new Walgreens, a replacement for that disgusting White Castle, 9 condos in the Walsingham refurb, and the 17 unit Herron re-use. That's a bit disappointing to me, especially from a retail perspective. I thought someone would have put some street-level retail in between Pennsylvania and Central by now. The area isn't going to get much more dense and it certainly isn't going to get any more rich than it is right now. What are developers waiting for? Is it not viable? (no way....)
I dont think that area is really destined for retail , as much as residential. This area will probably become a wealthy area, as it is progressing, and as it continues, more projects occur.
Old June 25th, 2007, 06:59 PM   #1366
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt986 View Post
Okay, I've seen it with my own eyes. The Mexican restaurant on the corner of Prospect and Virginia is open. I didn't have a chance to eat there, and I'm back up in Chicago all week, so if anyone has a chance to try it let us know how it is.
Amazing.. I'm going to try to go this afternoon/evening. I've been salivating over this place for too long. I go up to lafayette rd and 56th (Puerto Vallarta) for good Mexican. I hope this place is similar, because walking over sounds much better.
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 07:07 PM   #1367
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

I posted this over at SSP and it has caused some interesting conversation

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=133597&page=1

Visitor didn't feel Hoosier hospitality

June 22, 2007 05:47 PM

Sandra Chapman/Eyewitness News

Indianapolis - A recent visitor to Indianapolis says police are crossing a fine line when it comes to tourists and suspected terrorists. The criticism comes after a camera confrontation outside a major city landmark.

Last Sunday, Walter Miller wanted lasting images to take back with him to Houston. He got them. To cap off his first F-1 race experience, he and his lens headed downtown. He had just snapped a photo of the Julian Opie Signs exhibit when signs of trouble converged.

"Two police cars came up," Miller said by phone Friday. "One on the side of me and one behind me with their lights flashing. And some officers got out and said 'what were you taking pictures of?' I said, 'Well the art exhibit.' He said, 'I need to see it, for matters of homeland security. You can't be taking pictures around here,'" Miller recalled the officer saying to him hours after the race.

Miller's says he took pictures of buildings - five aluminum configurations drawn in London and New York. It just so happens, a sliver of the Indianapolis City County Building was in the shot.

According to IMPD, pictures of certain government facilities are off limits. Never mind that Stop 10 of the Opie art exhibit sits smack in front of the City-County Building.

"I couldn't believe it when he said what he was doing - riffling through my camera in the name of homeland security," said Miller.

Miller was allowed to take his pictures and leave after questioning. Now he's questioning if his civil rights were violated.

Sgt. Matthew Mount at the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department says it's not about violating any rights, or ruining vacations. "Our job in this post 9/11 world is to try to ensure the safety our citizens. And if we have to be a little bit more vigilant, than we were pre-9/11 that's what we'll do," he said.

The Texan says he supports effective security. He counts on it daily working inside one of the country's most prized assets. Miller works for NASA at the Johnson Space Center outside of Houston.

"Security out here is implemented very well. We do have tourists attractions out at Johnson Space Center. People go out with cameras all the time," explained Miller.

The big difference - Miller says - tourists are set up to be tourists, not suspected terrorists.

Miller tells Eyewitness News he also took pictures of the United States Courthouse for the 7th District of Indiana - near the site of another Julian Opie exhibit - without any problem.

The Arts Council of Indianapolis is sponsoring the exhibit and issued this statement: "Because we don't know the circumstances or specifics of this incident, we cannot comment. Obviously we would hope that the art installations could be enjoyed in the public realm."

IMPD officials say law enforcement is concerned about pictures of federal office buildings, military installations, major bridges and other infrastructure that could be considered a terrorists target.

If in doubt, police say, tourists should confine their photographs to marked tourists spots.

http://wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=6698469
Old June 25th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #1368
Unionstation13

what stupid ****s.
Who gives a shit if they take a picture of a sliver of the ccb? OMG.
Egh, this is an embarrasment to the city of Indianapolis.
Old June 25th, 2007, 07:33 PM   #1369
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Speak of the devil:

Walsingham parking hurdle cleared?

For about two years, a lack of parking has delayed a condo conversion at the historic Walsingham Apartments (pictured here, courtesy of Indiana Historical Society) at Delaware and 16th streets. But now, an agreement in the works could allow the completion of the $1.1 million project. The building owner, Carlos Figueroa, is working with the Herron-Morton Place Foundation on a deal to tear down part of the neighboring foundry building, which the Foundation owns, and use it for parking. The Walsingham owner would then help pay for renovations of the remainder of the foundry building. The deal still must win approval from the Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission. Figueroa said seven of the nine condo units already have been reserved.

http://www.ibj.com/html/blog.html
CorrND no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #1370
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
what stupid ****s.
Who gives a shit if they take a picture of a sliver of the ccb? OMG.
Egh, this is an embarrasment to the city of Indianapolis.
Tell us how you really feel.
Old June 25th, 2007, 08:01 PM   #1371
Unionstation13

Quote:
Speak of the devil:

Walsingham parking hurdle cleared?

For about two years, a lack of parking has delayed a condo conversion at the historic Walsingham Apartments (pictured here, courtesy of Indiana Historical Society) at Delaware and 16th streets. But now, an agreement in the works could allow the completion of the $1.1 million project. The building owner, Carlos Figueroa, is working with the Herron-Morton Place Foundation on a deal to tear down part of the neighboring foundry building, which the Foundation owns, and use it for parking. The Walsingham owner would then help pay for renovations of the remainder of the foundry building. The deal still must win approval from the Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission. Figueroa said seven of the nine condo units already have been reserved.

http://www.ibj.com/html/blog.html
this is a bad idea, that structure is quite beautiful, and theres plenty of ****** hidiouse structures near it they could knock down instead.
What portion of the structure will be knocked down? And what ever happened to underground parking?
Old June 25th, 2007, 08:02 PM   #1372
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
Tell us how you really feel.
? wat?
Old June 25th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #1373
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
this is a bad idea, that structure is quite beautiful, and theres plenty of ****** hidiouse structures near it they could knock down instead.
What portion of the structure will be knocked down? And what ever happened to underground parking?
a) The Walsingham is an existing structure, so underground parking isn't an option.
b) The foundry is all screwed up right now. At a certain point, saving old structures just isn't viable. I speculated in the IBJ comments section that this may be the only way to deal with the rehab and chemical cleanup required to even save part of the building.

I'm not happy about another parking lot on 16th St., but so be it.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #1374
Matt986

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminooo View Post
Amazing.. I'm going to try to go this afternoon/evening. I've been salivating over this place for too long. I go up to lafayette rd and 56th (Puerto Vallarta) for good Mexican. I hope this place is similar, because walking over sounds much better.
Be sure to report back. I've got my fingers crossed!
Matt986 no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 08:13 PM   #1375
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Quote:
? wat?
You're all fired up. You sure can speak your mind. Cussing like a sailor. As a military veteran I can appreciate that.
Old June 25th, 2007, 08:22 PM   #1376
CorrND
Moderator Chris

More Convention Center details to be revealed today

More details about the planned expansion of the Indiana Convention Center will be revealed today.

The Indiana Stadium and Convention Building Authority is scheduled to meet at 3 p.m. today at the board’s office at 425 W. South St. The meeting is open to the public.

Representatives from RATIO Architects, the Indianapolis firm designing the expansion, are scheduled to present renderings and other information about the $275 million project. The convention center will be expanded onto the site where the RCA Dome now stands. Construction is expected to begin in 2008, after Lucas Oil Stadium opens and the Dome is torn down.

The expansion will add 420,000 square feet of space to the existing facility.
Authority members are also expected to discuss cost estimates for the stadium and convention center at today’s meeting.

The stadium was estimated to cost $675 million, but steel, insurance and environmental cleanup costs came in higher than expected. Changes that drive up the price of contracts are also expected to mount as construction continues.
As a result, officials have been uncertain whether the project can be completed within budget.

Both the stadium and convention center are predominantly being paid for out of new restaurant taxes in Central Indiana, as well as car-rental and hotel taxes in Marion County.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...0625043/-1/RSS
CorrND no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 08:22 PM   #1377
Unionstation13

Quote:
a) The Walsingham is an existing structure, so underground parking isn't an option.
b) The foundry is all screwed up right now. At a certain point, saving old structures just isn't viable. I speculated in the IBJ comments section that this may be the only way to deal with the rehab and chemical cleanup required to even save part of the building.

I'm not happy about another parking lot on 16th St., but so be it.
I was not aware of the problems with it, I just simply thought it just needed work, thans for the info.
Old June 25th, 2007, 08:23 PM   #1378
Unionstation13

Quote:
You're all fired up. You sure can speak your mind. Cussing like a sailor. As a military veteran I can appreciate that.
well it pisses me off that dumbasses like them are police officers.
Old June 25th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #1379
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Why do they place a piece of Julian Opie art right in front of of CCB then deny photos of it? This city thrives on revenue from tourists (races, etc) and this is what we show them in return. I'm not all that impressed by this particular sculpture myself.
Old June 25th, 2007, 09:04 PM   #1380
Unionstation13

Quote:
Why do they place a piece of Julian Opie art right in front of of CCB then deny photos of it? This city thrives on revenue from tourists (races, etc) and this is what we show them in return. I'm not all that impressed by this particular sculpture myself.
I'v taken photos of this peice of artwork, and several of government buildings, and have never even got as much as a angry look.

Closed Thread