daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 26th, 2007, 04:51 AM   #121
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Are those viaducts structurally sound? Could we get the main users of the tracks to pony up the dough to upgrade Indy's rail infrastructure, being that INDOT only concerns itself with ROADS now?

I think that the dark viaducts inhibit development south. Maybe LOS and the mid-rise at the corner of Pennsylvania and South will spur development in that area all by themselves.
hoosier no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2007, 04:51 AM   #122
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
I just got a look at the renderings for the Phase V/VI expansion of the new Indiana Convention Center. I don't have much time to analyze them tonight. I should be able to describe them in more detail tomorrow.

The new entrance is on Capitol and centered on Georgia. It's a 4 story glass cube similar to, but not freestanding like the 5th Avenue NY Apple store cube. It is nestled into the facade and has a prominent aluminum roof that juts out over Capitol. The roof on the rest of the facade has the same shape, but is more reserved. The cube is also repeated as the terminus to the Lucas Oil Stadium Connector near south street sans roof. The facade uses a lot of brick, glass and aluminum. The whole expansion is primarily 3 stories, with 4 story areas that may just be skylights. New loading docks are in a small area between the railway and the new building. This area is only accessible from West St. It's a much narrower extension of the existing loading dock.

Phase VI looks like it fills in the courtyard area west of the church on Capitol and north of the grand staircase to the RCA Dome.

This is really going to change the feel of S. Capitol Ave.
Is the rest of the convention center going to be renovated?
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 04:52 AM   #123
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
I always thought how lucky we are for not having a gaint concrete 70's tube.
Like Pittsburgh or Buffalo right?
hoosier no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 04:56 AM   #124
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Like Pittsburgh or Buffalo right?
I think.
I mean, when they were built people were probably like "omfg, they are beautiful, look at the elegant concrete beams and souless design!" but today they are major eyesores. That is what makes our skyline elegant.
Old April 26th, 2007, 05:00 AM   #125
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Likes (Received): 0

Like Shittsburgh or Buffalo right?

Damn straight dude! Go onto emprois (i cannot for some odd reason) & then look up Pissburgh's Marriott in their city centre or w/e it's called... It makes the pre-lim plan for our JW look good. Which is strange but true!
Old April 26th, 2007, 05:48 AM   #126
LouisvilleGuy05

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiexInxIndy View Post
Damn straight dude! Go onto emprois (i cannot for some odd reason) & then look up Pissburgh's Marriott in their city centre or w/e it's called... It makes the pre-lim plan for our JW look good. Which is strange but true!
Pittsburghs skyline puts Indy to shame. And please, you aren't text messaging your sixth grade buddies, so try to write somewhat coherently.
LouisvilleGuy05 no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 07:28 AM   #127
indyfiend
INDYFIEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisvilleGuy05 View Post
Pittsburghs skyline puts Indy to shame. And please, you aren't text messaging your sixth grade buddies, so try to write somewhat coherently.
Thanks for your irrelevant comment.
indyfiend no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 08:32 AM   #128
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Quote:
And Indianapolis puts Louisville to shame. Seriously, whats with the Waterfront Plaza?? Who had the idea to put light houses on the top of two 25 story tall towers? Bleh!!

Last edited by billionbucks; April 26th, 2007 at 08:45 AM.
billionbucks no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:58 AM   #129
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

From today's Indystar:

INDIANAPOLIS CULTURAL TRAIL: Off on the right foot
By Will Higgins

April 26, 2007

The Indianapolis Cultural Trail under construction as of Wednesday is more than a fancy sidewalk.

It's an entirely new and revolutionary alternative transportation system that will connect much of Downtown Indianapolis, including most of the city's museums and sports venues.

The 7.5-mile loop -- along resurfaced and widened sidewalks and some parking lanes -- will be for walking, biking and other non-motorized ways of getting around. It'll be like a Monon Trail, except circular and urban, and it will cost about $50 million to complete.

"It's a new way of enjoying all that's been built in the city," Brian Payne, president of the Central Indiana Community Foundation and the driving force behind the Cultural Trail, said at the trail's groundbreaking Wednesday.

Earlier this week, The Indianapolis Star pedaled the route and talked to folks along the way. Here's what they said about the trail:
Keith Washington, 36, the co-owner of Mass Ave Video on Massachusetts Avenue, on the northeast corner of the trail, expects it to bring a lot of people Downtown -- and past his store.

Washington said the trail will be a gateway for residents in the neighborhoods east of his store, who are separated from Downtown by two interstate overpasses and don't have an inviting walkway into the city.

"We have a family on Mass Ave.," Washington said, "and (the Cultural Trail) will extend our family."
Elizabeth Garber, 32 proprietor of The Best Chocolate in Town on Mass Ave., expects the Cultural Trail to bring in people from the Monon, which stops at 10th Street. As it is, people out for a leisurely bike ride or stroll typically turn around at 10th, because the Monon ends there.

Nothing prevents folks from continuing south into the city, but few do. With the establishment of the Cultural Trail, more will, Garber said.
"It's like the Monon," she said. "When you designate it as an 'area,' people will walk it -- they'll have a destination. You give people a direction."

Chris Chappell, 38, a bondsman at AAA Bail Bonds on Alabama Street, isn't thrilled with the Cultural Trail and does not expect it to lead business to his door.

"Will it hurt our business? Yes. But long-term, it'll look better out here, with the flowers they're talking about and the brick."

Rebecca Adkins, 49, a state worker enjoying the sunshine and a cigarette along the Cultural Trail route on Washington Street, said she's not a big walker but would likely walk the Cultural Trail.

"People are more apt to do it if it's got a name," she said. "And it'd be superb for tourists," who are always looking for suggestions for things to see and do.

Pam Atherton, 47, another state employee, added: "Anything that gives people something to do is neat. And if it's 'cultural,' that means there'll be stuff to look at. Just walking is boring."

John Vanausdall, president and CEO of the Eiteljorg Museum, expects the trail to raise awareness of the museum the same way the canal did after the museum's expansion in 1995.

"I think it's a project that will really create a sense of place in the city, and in the long run have some real health benefits, too. Anything that encourages walking, skateboarding, bicycling or whatever is good for everybody."

Robert Eads, 56, a stage hand erecting the stage at White River State Park for the summer concert series, said, "I think that's good, real good. We need culture in Indianapolis to get rid of that 'Naptown' image."

MeKeeba Lomax, 33, was flying a kite on the lawn at White River State Park with her daughter Malia, 2. "We do a lot of walking on the Monon," she said. "Usually we start in Broad Ripple. We're in a group called Mocha Moms -- it's stay-at-home moms of color. This (Cultural Trail) will give us another route that would be educational."

Delores Hayes, 54, lives in an apartment on North Street, where the Cultural Trail will emerge from the Canal Walk and rejoin city streets. On nice days, she sits in a folding chair on her front stoop, visits with her neighbors and people-watches.
"I like the idea of pedestrians strolling by. I like to watch people," she said.

Jim May, vice president of museum programs at the Indiana State Museum, is excited about the possible increase in visitors the trail could bring.

"White River State Park is already very dynamic because of the canal, but it's really off the beaten path," he said. "The trail will connect us with the hotels and university and places like that, so that could really expose us to a lot more people and maybe break that West Street barrier that exists between Downtown and the park."
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #130
eweezerinc
President of Catan

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post
And Indianapolis puts Louisville to shame. Seriously, whats with the Waterfront Plaza?? Who had the idea to put light houses on the top of two 25 story tall towers? Bleh!!
Hey now! Leave our special-ed buildings alone.
Old April 26th, 2007, 04:08 PM   #131
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Broad Ripple condo project features 'green' building ideas

A different shade of green

Broad Ripple condo proposal to use LEED standards

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...NESS/704260524
Old April 26th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #132
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

From the IBJ. ---- I work across the street from this place. When the Burger King was at that location it was Horrible all the homeless that would hang out in front. At least the bus stop will get moved.

"How strong is it? The owners of a new BARcelona Tapas restaurant think it’s strong enough to overcome a risky downtown location at the northeast corner of Delaware and Ohio streets. The 3,800-square-foot restaurant is slated to open in May just down the street from Wheeler Mission, in an area without much foot traffic at night. The restaurant owner says the location wouldn’t work for a traditional restaurant or steakhouse but will for BARcelona. “With us having an innovative concept nowhere else in Indianapolis, we will draw people,” said Frank Schmitz, CEO of St. Louis-based BARcelona LLC. Schmitz said he was drawn to the Indianapolis location by a great rent rate and is confident the restaurant can overcome a stigma in the area. Already, IndyGo has agreed to relocate a bus stop that would have greeted diners."
Old April 26th, 2007, 05:33 PM   #133
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
From the IBJ. ---- I work across the street from this place. When the Burger King was at that location it was Horrible all the homeless that would hang out in front. At least the bus stop will get moved.

"How strong is it? The owners of a new BARcelona Tapas restaurant think it’s strong enough to overcome a risky downtown location at the northeast corner of Delaware and Ohio streets. The 3,800-square-foot restaurant is slated to open in May just down the street from Wheeler Mission, in an area without much foot traffic at night. The restaurant owner says the location wouldn’t work for a traditional restaurant or steakhouse but will for BARcelona. “With us having an innovative concept nowhere else in Indianapolis, we will draw people,” said Frank Schmitz, CEO of St. Louis-based BARcelona LLC. Schmitz said he was drawn to the Indianapolis location by a great rent rate and is confident the restaurant can overcome a stigma in the area. Already, IndyGo has agreed to relocate a bus stop that would have greeted diners."
Really, the Wheeler Misson does good work - but it needs to be moved. It is a complete drain on property value and development in that area... Not to mention I'm even nervous walking in that area, and I reside on the near east side.
Old April 26th, 2007, 06:21 PM   #134
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post
Really, the Wheeler Misson does good work - but it needs to be moved. It is a complete drain on property value and development in that area... Not to mention I'm even nervous walking in that area, and I reside on the near east side.
I agree they do good work. It's the guys and gals that hang out across the street by Indiana Square that make me nervous. Then you have all the people sleeping under the stairs at the Hammond Block building. I'm on a first name basis with some of these folks and not all of them are bad. I suppose McNivens on Mass Ave is doing ok so the Barcelona will do ok as well.
Old April 26th, 2007, 06:59 PM   #135
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Dear Mr.Louisville Loser.....

I know the ole' saying goes leave a sleeping dog lye but I'm afraid I simply cannot... For one, I am in 12th grade yet I'm pretty damn sure my IQ edges yours. For two, you do not see me strolling in your lame louisville forums saying how ugly your p.o.s museum plaza is & how it will ultimately destroy the dignity of your fine skyline... (Not that there was much to begin with)

See that's what Indy has got... Diginity. Sure, our skyline may be a bit humble. Yet, it is appealing not appaling nevertheless. Our skyline is coherent & it is complementing too... Ever notice why the vast majority of our skyscrapers have pitched roofs? It's because it's something subtle yet special about our skyline. Now I'm done flattering our lovely city. However, I do suggest you don't make an arse of yourself by coming by here again!

Thank you so very much,
~Erich

Last edited by IndiexInxIndy; April 26th, 2007 at 07:06 PM.
IndiexInxIndy no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #136
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Lets not have a Louisville/Indianapolis showdown.
Louisville has a very attractive skyline, very timeless like Indy's.
Old April 26th, 2007, 07:45 PM   #137
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
Sounds awesome actually.. I was worried that they'd do something much more reserved, but with a grand entrance like that, think about what that does for development opportunity on the Pan Am Plaza site. A developer would be insane to not put a high rise hotel/condo development with street level retail and a huge parking garage there.
I'm thinking the same thing. Although, don't get your hopes up too high. It's a nice looking development, but still reserved.

It's very reminiscent of the Haughville branch library on W. 10th, which was designed by Domain Architecture, Inc.
http://www.domain-arch.com/

Just so everyone knows, Domain (as well as Blackburn and BSA Lifestructures) played a role in the design of the new ICC under Ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownBoy View Post
Is the rest of the convention center going to be renovated?
Not likely. The ICC was just renovated a few years ago. There is a pocket of new development near the corner of West and Maryland. They're building more meeting rooms on the grassy area that's there now.
ablerock no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #138
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Thanks for the obvious. I don't think that anyone here has claimed otherwise. But since you brought it up, since it puts Indy's to shame, imagine what it does to Louisville's!!

Troll
Old April 26th, 2007, 08:17 PM   #139
unvrsty07

Likes (Received): 116

Condos just uptown from Downtown

Come back to the city!

On the Near Northside: The 8,000-square-foot limestone house built by businessman Joseph Rink in the 1890s is at the core of Meridian at 21, a redevelopment project along Meridian Street that will yield 19 residences and some offices. The development is expected to be completed in mid-2008. - Gary Moore / The Star

MERIDIAN AT 21

• Size: 56,000 square feet of residential and commercial/ professional space. Condos range from 970 to 2,800 square feet.

• History: Mansion was built in 1890 by clothier and furrier Joseph Rink. Used for offices beginning in 1920s. Four-story office building was connected to house in 1937.

• Owner: Woodland Realty Co. bought property in 2005.

That's the rallying cry of developer Jeffrey Congdon. He is busy remodeling an old mansion and its environs at Meridian and 21st streets into upscale condominiums in hopes of luring empty-nesters and frustrated commuters in from the suburbs.
"Baby boomers are retiring. And do they really want the house in Geist or the house in Carmel with the swimming pool?" said Congdon, whose Woodland Realty Co. bought the long-neglected property in 2005.
The $11 million construction and renovation project, called Meridian at 21, centers around the 8,000-square-foot limestone house built by businessman Joseph Rink in the 1890s and the four-story, 14,000-square-foot office building added to the mansion in 1937.
When completed in mid-2008, the 1.6-acre development will consist of 19 residences and some offices.
Three condominiums are located in the mansion itself, with four more in the addition. Eight townhouses are being built nearby on Pennsylvania Street, and construction of four townhouses on Charlotte Place, between Pennsylvania and Talbott streets, will begin in the fall.
"It's a magnificent area," said Mike Couch of Sycamore Group Realtors, the broker selling the condos, adjacent to the Herron-Morton neighborhood. Sycamore's offices are on the mansion's first floor.
"It really offers all the amenities of a traditional neighborhood with the convenience of being able to shoot down Meridian in about three minutes, and be Downtown to do anything," Couch said.
Couch said the condos, which range from $200,000 to $600,000, cost less than comparable residences Downtown. Apartments in the mansion and its addition feature high ceilings, balconies, a roof deck and scenic views of the city. Four condo units already have been sold.
The project also fits in with the aims of the Near North Development Corp. to revitalize the North Meridian Street corridor with improved neighborhoods, which ultimately will spur commercial development.
"If all of a sudden 50 or 100 people live along that part of Meridian, the services will arrive, too," said Chris Barnett, economic development coordinator of Near North.
One future resident, Dan Noblitt, plans to move to the third floor of the brick addition with his wife, Vicki, when their 2,400-square-foot apartment is completed in August.
"With the stuff they're starting to do there on North Meridian, you can see all the changes coming. We started thinking, 'This might be a nice change for us,' " he said.
The Rink mansion is one of the last of the grand old homes that lined lower Meridian in the early 1900s. Congdon wanted to preserve that piece of Indianapolis history.
Congdon said he "firmly believes" in the recent return-to-the-city trend as an antidote to excessive gasoline consumption and suburban sprawl.
"We've got to change the way we live," he said. "How much more oil can we burn?"

unvrsty07 no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 08:17 PM   #140
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
I try to keep up with Indy's developement. I have over 600 posts on SSP but not much ado about downtown's developement. You guys and gals have it going on. I will park on this thread for a while.
We are glad to have you. It can be lonely over at SSP for Indy folks

Closed Thread