daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 25th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #1381
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
Speak of the devil:

Walsingham parking hurdle cleared?

For about two years, a lack of parking has delayed a condo conversion at the historic Walsingham Apartments (pictured here, courtesy of Indiana Historical Society) at Delaware and 16th streets. But now, an agreement in the works could allow the completion of the $1.1 million project. The building owner, Carlos Figueroa, is working with the Herron-Morton Place Foundation on a deal to tear down part of the neighboring foundry building, which the Foundation owns, and use it for parking. The Walsingham owner would then help pay for renovations of the remainder of the foundry building. The deal still must win approval from the Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission. Figueroa said seven of the nine condo units already have been reserved.

http://www.ibj.com/html/blog.html

So this is why the work came to a halt! Why not use the surface lot directly across the street next to OP's...or the church?

This highlights again why I think the Midtown area/North Meridian Street corridor is ripe for a huge residential boom.

Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #1382
cwilson758
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
Why do they place a piece of Julian Opie art right in front of of CCB then deny photos of it? This city thrives on revenue from tourists (races, etc) and this is what we show them in return. I'm not all that impressed by this particular sculpture myself.
That "art" is better than our skyline
Old June 25th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #1383
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Likes (Received): 0

I've taken actual pictures of the CCB before and not had any trouble. I think theres a whole album of my friend and I goofing around at the city market and taking pictures of the towers around us.
Old June 25th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #1384
cwilson758
Cory

Transit Public Hearing

For Immediate Release
Public Meeting To Focus on Regional
& Personal Benefits of Transit and Transit-
Oriented Development

This Thursday the Indianapolis Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO), the region's primary transportation planner, will host a public meeting focused on the benefits of mass transit, transit-oriented development (TOD), and their link to both personal and environmental health. Nationally known transportation and urban planner Dr. Reid Ewing will keynote the evening which is expected to attract the general public, transit advocates and opponents, and elected officials from throughout the area.

The event kick-offs the 2007 public phases of two MPO studies: DIRECTIONS, The Rapid Transit Study To Improve Regional Mobility, and the Regional Land Use 'Smart Growth' Study. DIRECTIONS , which began in 2003, is assessing the feasibility of a region-wide rapid transit system. It will conclude later this year with the potential selection of a locally preferred route and technology alternative for a starter system in the Northeast Corridor

Transit Education &
Awareness Public Meeting
- Hosted by the Indianapolis MPO
- Thursday June 28, 2007
- Doors, Exhibits open at 6 PM.
- Presentation and Q & A: 6:30 - 8:30
- White River Ballroom
- Indiana Convention Center
- 100 S. Capitol Ave., downtown Indianapolis
- Keynote Speaker: Reid Ewing, PhD.

Photo Opportunities throughout the evening.
Pre- and post-event interviews available upon request.

For more information, contact MPO Senior Planner Amy Inman, M.S. (317/327-5646, [email protected]) or Joe Whitman, APR, at Whitman Communications (262-2660, [email protected]).

About The Speaker
Dr. Reid Ewing is a Research Professor at the National Center for Smart Growth, University of Maryland,Associate Editor of the Journal of the American Planning Association, columnist for Planning magazine, and Fellow of the Urban Land Institute. He holds master degrees in Engineering and City Planning from Harvard University and a Ph.D. in Transportation Systems and Urban Planning from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He has authored Developing Successful New Communities for the Urban Land Institute; Best Development Practices and Transportation and Land Use Innovations for the American Planning Association; and Traffic Calming State-of-the-Practice for the Institute of Transportation Engineers. His study of urban sprawl and obesity received the most national media coverage of any planning study ever!
Old June 25th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #1385
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
So this is why the work came to a halt! Why not use the surface lot directly across the street next to OP's...or the church?
Yeah, basically anything other than adding another parking lot on 16th St. What about a creative use like taking the empty residential lot behind the foundry and using half of it for the Walsingham and half for retail parking for future businesses in the foundry?

Does anybody else remember an article about a year or so ago about the sorry state of the foundry? I can't seem to find it now. My guess is the part they want to tear down is in a particularly sorry state. Otherwise historical preservation issues would probably get in the way.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 09:28 PM   #1386
cwilson758
Cory

I am longing for Kroger to make an announcement about the store at Central and 16th Street. They did purchase the lots to the west and there have beem rumors that the existing store would be demolished to make way for a new one...especially since they closed the 10th Street location. That would do a lot for redevelopment along 16th Street.
Old June 25th, 2007, 10:24 PM   #1387
cwilson758
Cory

BTW, here is the rendering for the Indigo Hotel in Midtown. I believe it is to be 220' tall:

Old June 25th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #1388
k2h

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
I am longing for Kroger to make an announcement about the store at Central and 16th Street. They did purchase the lots to the west and there have beem rumors that the existing store would be demolished to make way for a new one...especially since they closed the 10th Street location. That would do a lot for redevelopment along 16th Street.

I recall reading something about this particular site in the past. If i remember correctly, a local neighborhood group was stalling on selling a key piece of land in close proximity to use it as leverage in negotiating with Kroger to design a more "urban" marketplace. I believe Kroger is proposing to build a traditional suburban-style building with lots of ground-level parking.
k2h no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #1389
ragerunner1

Likes (Received): 59

Interactive Intelligence Expanding Headquarters

"Indianapolis, Ind. -- Interactive Intelligence Inc. (Nasdaq:ININ), a global developer of business communications software, has signed an amendment to its corporate office lease with Duke Realty to occupy 79,000 square feet of a new 154,000 square-foot building being constructed adjacent to its current northwest-side headquarters office in Indianapolis.

Interactive Intelligence has the option to occupy all of the additional space in the new building in the future. Initial occupancy is expected in March 2008.

Interactive Intelligence will retain full occupancy of its existing 120,000 square-foot Indianapolis headquarters facility at 7601 Interactive Way."
http://www.insideindianabusiness.com...m.asp?ID=24062

Glad to see another high tech local company growing and expanding.
ragerunner1 no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #1390
ragerunner1

Likes (Received): 59

NEWS UPDATE: Essentials intact as convention center plans unveiled

Indianapolis-based Ratio Architects today unveiled final plans for a 420,000-square-foot expansion of the Indiana Convention Center.

"Among the details: 254,000 square feet of additional exhibit space, 63,000 square feet of meeting rooms, a new banquet kitchen and 100,000 square feet of so-called “pre-function space”—including three-story entry pavilion planned for the intersection of Capitol Avenue and Georgia Street.

Plans also call for a covered connector between the convention center and Lucas Oil Stadium, which is being built to replace the RCA Dome. The connector will stretch south from the center along Capitol, then go underground at the CSX railroad tracks before crossing South Street.

Construction on the $275 million convention center project is slated to begin in late 2008, after the dome is torn down."

Pics:
http://64.255.242.152/Portals/6/medi...on_center.html

I like the design. Lots of glass which opens the design up to the street more and enough brick to help link it to its surroundings.
ragerunner1 no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #1391
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
More details about the planned expansion of the Indiana Convention Center will be revealed today...
Damn! I was hoping to be all cool and show everyone renderings of the ICC at the July 7th meetup before they were publicly available.

Oh well, I've still got a couple of treats left. :-)
ablerock no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #1392
k2h

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2h View Post
I recall reading something about this particular site in the past. If i remember correctly, a local neighborhood group was stalling on selling a key piece of land in close proximity to use it as leverage in negotiating with Kroger to design a more "urban" marketplace. I believe Kroger is proposing to build a traditional suburban-style building with lots of ground-level parking.

Here is a related article from the IBJ...

http://indybiznow.com/Default.aspx?T...rticle=Ar00100
k2h no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #1393
Paintrain

Likes (Received): 0

its nice i hope they have the money to make it as good as the renderings
Paintrain no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #1394
k2h

Convention Center Design

I am very pleased with the design of the convention center expansion. Ratio has done a fine job and have designed a good urban product. I would like to see them go for LEED certification on this project.
k2h no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 11:18 PM   #1395
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt986 View Post
Be sure to report back. I've got my fingers crossed!
Success!

I sat down for lunch at around 2pm. There were a few other parties. The first test was obviously the chips and salsa. Excellent. They Reminded me of La Hacienda. The menu was standard and offered specific vegetarian options (which I prefer most of the time). I ordered Vegetarian C ($7.50).

The staff was friendly and I was greeted by the manager. The food met my expectations and overall I give the place an 8 / 10. My only real disappointment was that they don't have their liquor license yet.. They said it would be another month. I will be returning often. Here are some pictures.

http://picasaweb.google.com/benjamin.hunt/ElArado

I also stopped by the Cognizant Coffee Company ( http://www.myspace.com/cognizantcoffeecompany) a new coffee shop in Fountain Square. I had a Iced Chai Latte, it was delicious... I definitely recommend supporting local coffee shops!

Last edited by benjaminooo; June 25th, 2007 at 11:29 PM.
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #1396
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 466

Wow, very impressed by the CC renderings. Here's a selection of pictures from that link. In the second pic, you can even see that they pulled the blue/green from the steeples on the church across the street -- I love when architects get the context like that!

Last edited by CorrND; June 25th, 2007 at 11:53 PM.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 11:45 PM   #1397
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Not impressed by the big ass overhangs. The largest one looks like a diving board.

Is that Bill Clinton in the bottom right of the second rendering?
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old June 25th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #1398
Matt986

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminooo View Post
Success!

I sat down for lunch at around 2pm. There were a few other parties. The first test was obviously the chips and salsa. Excellent. They Reminded me of La Hacienda. The menu was standard and offered specific vegetarian options (which I prefer most of the time). I ordered Vegetarian C ($7.50).

The staff was friendly and I was greeted by the manager. The food met my expectations and overall I give the place an 8 / 10. My only real disappointment was that they don't have their liquor license yet.. They said it would be another month. I will be returning often. Here are some pictures.

I also stopped by the Cognizant Coffee Company ( http://www.myspace.com/cognizantcoffeecompany) a new coffee shop in Fountain Square. I had a Iced Chai Latte, it was delicious... I definitely recommend supporting local coffee shops!
Great. I'll definitely stop by when I'm home this weekend.

Do you know how late the coffee shop stays open?
Matt986 no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 12:12 AM   #1399
Wu-Gambino

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminooo View Post
Success!

If it's as good as La Hacienda, I'll be pleased. We have one of those out in Avon, and it's great.
Wu-Gambino no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 12:13 AM   #1400
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt986 View Post
Great. I'll definitely stop by when I'm home this weekend.

Do you know how late the coffee shop stays open?
8pm on weekdays.. I think it was either 10 or 11 on weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptown View Post
If it's as good as La Hacienda, I'll be pleased. We have one of those out in Avon, and it's great.
I would say it's as good.. They use a different type or red sauce on their enchiladas though. I stopped going to my LaHa (east washington) because it made the health code list.
benjaminooo no está en línea  

Closed Thread