daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old June 26th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #1401
thehoss257
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 581
Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminooo View Post
8pm on weekdays.. I think it was either 10 or 11 on weekends.



I would say it's as good.. They use a different type or red sauce on their enchiladas though. I stopped going to my LaHa (east washington) because it made the health code list.
I love the La Hacenda on the east side... I saw that they had some health code violations but i'm willing to give them the benifit of the doubt. I haven't gotten sick yet, and am keeping my fingers crossed.

I guess the ICC is as good as I expected. My hopes weren't high. The materials and design will be better with the convention center. However, the massing won't be nearly as good.
thehoss257 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2007, 01:15 AM   #1402
jtsnewo56
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11
Likes (Received): 0

Anyone else notice the not of the top down view of "Bridge to future JW Marriot"

That will be interesting, and needed with the exhibit and ballroom space going in there. Looking at all of those loading docks sends a chill down my spine. Dealing with the convention management companies when delivering to the existing docks is a big enough headache.
jtsnewo56 no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 01:38 AM   #1403
arenn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,905
Likes (Received): 132

moochie, I agree with your sentiments. I think like most of Ratio's projects, this one is a journeyman like job. There are a lot of good elements to it that I like such such as the extensive windows. But it lacks true greatness. While at first blush it actually looks better than I was expecting, it's too bad that Indy yet again didn't go for truly great architecture.
__________________
My Urban Affairs Blog: http://www.urbanophile.com/
arenn no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 01:44 AM   #1404
Wu-Gambino
Registered User
 
Wu-Gambino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,827
Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminooo View Post
I would say it's as good.. They use a different type or red sauce on their enchiladas though. I stopped going to my LaHa (east washington) because it made the health code list.
Haha, when you charge less than 3 bucks for a half an order of chicken nachos... Honestly, I don't see how it could be any worse than other hole in the wall places. I've also seen some restaurants with good reputations make the list, who knows. I assume since you live in Fountain Square, you've been to the Peppy Grill. I love that place.
Wu-Gambino no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 01:59 AM   #1405
Unionstation13
Registered User
 
Unionstation13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indianapolis/Lafayette
Posts: 3,439
Likes (Received): 37

the cc design is a good design, though I think a rooftop garden, and maybe an outdoor cafe area and ferris wheel like the one in London would be cool for on top of the roof. Over all the design is good, it blends in, without being bland. They could have done better, but its urban, nice, and tasteful.
That kroger is an eyesore, something that respects the victorian invoronment around it, or something that goes up to the sidewalk with an urban design would be fantastic, hopefully the new kroger will look more urban.
__________________
Peter- "Geesh, Meg is in there taking a nap under water!".
Unionstation13 no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 02:05 AM   #1406
benjaminooo
Unregistered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fountain Square, Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 627
Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptown View Post
Haha, when you charge less than 3 bucks for a half an order of chicken nachos... Honestly, I don't see how it could be any worse than other hole in the wall places. I've also seen some restaurants with good reputations make the list, who knows. I assume since you live in Fountain Square, you've been to the Peppy Grill. I love that place.
Yeah I understand and I do live in FS.. I have trouble eating at Peppy Grill when I'm sober to be honest I've stopped in a few times for an actual breakfast though.. I have a lot of love for Peppy, but I have issues with seeing the people who are actually cooking my food! haha
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 02:20 AM   #1407
hoosier
Registered User
 
hoosier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,436
Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
This is my most-anticpated development right now. If this thing takes off, it will completely change Midtown and signal it's rebirth as a totally viable downtown alternative. The prices downtown are far too high. The Herron High School, Meridian at 21, the proposed streetscape projects for Meridian and 16th Streets and this should really change the area!!
I too am excited about the potential for development along the Meridian and 16th Street corridors. Driving up North Meridian from I-65 to 38th Street, there are so many beautiful old mid-rises that could use refurbishment and there are plenty of lots that are absolutely ripe for development. I visualized how this proposal would look as a I approached the Grain Dealers' Insurance building and I can tell you it would definitely help the skyline and near north side.

Now we just need to get the shovels in the dirt!!
hoosier no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #1408
hoosier
Registered User
 
hoosier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,436
Likes (Received): 53

It is an OK design. I am concerned that the increasing costs of LOS will result in even further cost cutting maneuvers to the convention center expansion. Indy can't afford to have a subpar expansion for such a vital piece of city infrastructure.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 04:48 AM   #1409
Paintrain
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 78
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
It is an OK design. I am concerned that the increasing costs of LOS will result in even further cost cutting maneuvers to the convention center expansion. Indy can't afford to have a subpar expansion for such a vital piece of city infrastructure.
i agree completely
Paintrain no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 09:15 AM   #1410
billionbucks
Colts Fan
 
billionbucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Indianapolis / DC
Posts: 642
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehoss257 View Post
I love the La Hacenda on the east side... I saw that they had some health code violations but i'm willing to give them the benifit of the doubt. I haven't gotten sick yet, and am keeping my fingers crossed.

I guess the ICC is as good as I expected. My hopes weren't high. The materials and design will be better with the convention center. However, the massing won't be nearly as good.
Omg! I love "LaHa" on the eastside! It's the local spot all my high school friends and I ate at, now whenever we come home from college we have reunions there... We trust we won't get sick

As for convention center... I'm not as impressed as I hoped to be. Not horrible but not great.
__________________
Indiana
billionbucks no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #1411
billionbucks
Colts Fan
 
billionbucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Indianapolis / DC
Posts: 642
Likes (Received): 0

Development proposed at 9th and East streets

http://brookspublications.com/files/LANDUSE.pdf

I still can't figure out how to get pictures off the urban times page... maybe its because im using a macbook. anyway, its an interesting article about some development.
__________________
Indiana
billionbucks no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 09:47 AM   #1412
billionbucks
Colts Fan
 
billionbucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Indianapolis / DC
Posts: 642
Likes (Received): 0

So, I was in Chicago this past weekend. I rode the Amtrack from Indianapolis union station to downtown chicago... I can't express how much I loved using the El to get anywhere i needed - but coming home and knowing how far we are from getting anything of the sort just saddens me.
__________________
Indiana
billionbucks no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #1413
cwilson758
Cory
 
cwilson758's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Francisco via Indianapolis
Posts: 3,403
Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
Wow, very impressed by the CC renderings. Here's a selection of pictures from that link. In the second pic, you can even see that they pulled the blue/green from the steeples on the church across the street -- I love when architects get the context like that!
Actually CorrND- the "green" is also the same nickel that is used on the Capital Building! This makes it even better! I too like the design and it is very inviting. I wish that the building taller and not so massive, but this is a convention center. This thing will definitely be nicer than the Philadelphia facility that I just used for APA back in April.
__________________
"Indianapolis has the reputation of a shark striking when other cities sleep."
cwilson758 no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #1414
CorrND
Moderator Chris
 
CorrND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,495
Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post
http://brookspublications.com/files/LANDUSE.pdf

I still can't figure out how to get pictures off the urban times page... maybe its because im using a macbook. anyway, its an interesting article about some development.
I picked up the newest Urban Times and read that article last night. I found this part particularly interesting:

"Commissioner Steve Tuchman pointed out that, if this project is denied, Jones can continue to operate the Chatham Center under the existing variance. The problems caused by the existing parking situation would not go away, nor would the property likely be converted to residential."

Basically, the current one-story building is operating as a business and the developer wants to add a second story for residential and reconfigure the ground-floor businesses. But, because of concerns from the Chatham Arch Neighborhood Association about the residential nature of the area, they're fighting the addition of 10 apartments. How does that make any sense?

I understand their desire to not have a bar in the neighborhood, but why don't they want a bakery or a deli there? In fact, given their list of restrictions, what DO they think is going to go in there?

What's wrong with these people? While I disagree with CANA in most cases, I can at least see their point of view when they attack a development. But in this case, it's not like they're trying to build a 10-story frat house in the middle of the neighborhood. They're trying to build a 2-story building on the edge of the neighborhood on a fairly high-traffic road.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #1415
cwilson758
Cory
 
cwilson758's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Francisco via Indianapolis
Posts: 3,403
Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt986 View Post
Great. I'll definitely stop by when I'm home this weekend.

Do you know how late the coffee shop stays open?
Speaking of coffee shop in Fountain Square, a new one is opening where College and Virginia Ave's meet. A friend of mine opened a second-hand/antique store at 615 Virginia (Diva Decor) and noticed work across the street. He went over there and was told that they would open sometime in July. It's a great spot and the interior reminds me of the original Abbey.
__________________
"Indianapolis has the reputation of a shark striking when other cities sleep."
cwilson758 no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #1416
cwilson758
Cory
 
cwilson758's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Francisco via Indianapolis
Posts: 3,403
Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
I picked up the newest Urban Times and read that article last night. I found this part particularly interesting:

"Commissioner Steve Tuchman pointed out that, if this project is denied, Jones can continue to operate the Chatham Center under the existing variance. The problems caused by the existing parking situation would not go away, nor would the property likely be converted to residential."

Basically, the current one-story building is operating as a business and the developer wants to add a second story for residential and reconfigure the ground-floor businesses. But, because of concerns from the Chatham Arch Neighborhood Association about the residential nature of the area, they're fighting the addition of 10 apartments. How does that make any sense?

I understand their desire to not have a bar in the neighborhood, but why don't they want a bakery or a deli there? In fact, given their list of restrictions, what DO they think is going to go in there?

What's wrong with these people? While I disagree with CANA in most cases, I can at least see their point of view when they attack a development. But in this case, it's not like they're trying to build a 10-story frat house in the middle of the neighborhood. They're trying to build a 2-story building on the edge of the neighborhood on a fairly high-traffic road.

I don't get these NiMBY's that live downtown. You live in the core of the 12th largest american city, you don't really have "residential-only" sections. Nearly everything inside the mile-square is zoned CBD, which is mixed-use and allows for virtually everything! When I read stuff like this, I get very irritated. Downtown is not Irvington. Zoning and uses are not easily distinguished downtown. This is what makes it "downtown."
__________________
"Indianapolis has the reputation of a shark striking when other cities sleep."
cwilson758 no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #1417
cityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 551
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
I picked up the newest Urban Times and read that article last night. I found this part particularly interesting:

"Commissioner Steve Tuchman pointed out that, if this project is denied, Jones can continue to operate the Chatham Center under the existing variance. The problems caused by the existing parking situation would not go away, nor would the property likely be converted to residential."

Basically, the current one-story building is operating as a business and the developer wants to add a second story for residential and reconfigure the ground-floor businesses. But, because of concerns from the Chatham Arch Neighborhood Association about the residential nature of the area, they're fighting the addition of 10 apartments. How does that make any sense?

I understand their desire to not have a bar in the neighborhood, but why don't they want a bakery or a deli there? In fact, given their list of restrictions, what DO they think is going to go in there?

What's wrong with these people? While I disagree with CANA in most cases, I can at least see their point of view when they attack a development. But in this case, it's not like they're trying to build a 10-story frat house in the middle of the neighborhood. They're trying to build a 2-story building on the edge of the neighborhood on a fairly high-traffic road.
I'm so sick of this. What really pisses me off is that loads of parking still seem to be requirements for downtown development, as if they were building new strip malls. The whole point of living dowtown in an urban an environment is the ability to walk to where you want to, not drive everywhere.

What's more, that list of restrictions is absolutely stupid. How the hell do these people NOT want a deli or a bakery? That's what people look for in cities. Part of the joy of living in a place like Chicago is the fact that if you just need some milk and bread you can go to the deli down the street, not have to get in your car and drive to Kroger. These people are why developers become reluctant to even try anything new.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 05:01 PM   #1418
cityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 551
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
I sure would like to see some kind of decorative element on the roof though.. Some sort of interesting observation spire, sculpture or perhaps a ferris wheel... I don't like that gap in the skyline. I know aerial views aren't that important, but that space looks so empty without the dome.
That's a really interesting idea. It would liven up the convention center and not make it solely for business. It could add a permanent entertainment element to the place, which would be something pretty revolutionary for a convention center.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 05:31 PM   #1419
cwilson758
Cory
 
cwilson758's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Francisco via Indianapolis
Posts: 3,403
Likes (Received): 15

I have a question:

Does anyone know what is going on at the Marriott hotel at I-465 and I-70? They are definitely doing an expansion and it appears to be at least 4-5 stories, but it could be taller. Any ideas?
__________________
"Indianapolis has the reputation of a shark striking when other cities sleep."
cwilson758 no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #1420
Unionstation13
Registered User
 
Unionstation13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indianapolis/Lafayette
Posts: 3,439
Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
I picked up the newest Urban Times and read that article last night. I found this part particularly interesting:

"Commissioner Steve Tuchman pointed out that, if this project is denied, Jones can continue to operate the Chatham Center under the existing variance. The problems caused by the existing parking situation would not go away, nor would the property likely be converted to residential."

Basically, the current one-story building is operating as a business and the developer wants to add a second story for residential and reconfigure the ground-floor businesses. But, because of concerns from the Chatham Arch Neighborhood Association about the residential nature of the area, they're fighting the addition of 10 apartments. How does that make any sense?

I understand their desire to not have a bar in the neighborhood, but why don't they want a bakery or a deli there? In fact, given their list of restrictions, what DO they think is going to go in there?

What's wrong with these people? While I disagree with CANA in most cases, I can at least see their point of view when they attack a development. But in this case, it's not like they're trying to build a 10-story frat house in the middle of the neighborhood. They're trying to build a 2-story building on the edge of the neighborhood on a fairly high-traffic road.
I agree, its not like they are putting in a strip club and motorcylce bar.
Its on the oldest streets of the city, its downtown, the only time this people should freak out about things like this is if they are knocking down old houses or something. "OMFG, NOT ANOTHER FLOOR," hell, there are houses in chatham arch taller than two floors! Why the hell does the height scare them?
Density is going to happen where it can, you cant beat it. I mean, its stupid, do these people want a suburbian downtown?
__________________
Peter- "Geesh, Meg is in there taking a nap under water!".
Unionstation13 no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu