daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 26th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #1421
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan View Post
I'm so sick of this. What really pisses me off is that loads of parking still seem to be requirements for downtown development, as if they were building new strip malls. The whole point of living dowtown in an urban an environment is the ability to walk to where you want to, not drive everywhere.

What's more, that list of restrictions is absolutely stupid. How the hell do these people NOT want a deli or a bakery? That's what people look for in cities. Part of the joy of living in a place like Chicago is the fact that if you just need some milk and bread you can go to the deli down the street, not have to get in your car and drive to Kroger. These people are why developers become reluctant to even try anything new.
true true! The reason I moved to the Old North area was mainly because I could walk wherever to get whatever! Heck, since I have moved to the downtown area, I havent used my car maybe more than 3 times a monthe.
Things like delis, bakeries, grocery stores, and even just genereal items stores, are needed to have succesful downtown urban hoods. These people need to suck it up, hell, did they even think how much gas money this will save them? Egh, its people like that who piss me off, and I just want to kick out of downtown and back to their little suburbian dreamhouses.

Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2007, 05:41 PM   #1422
ragerunner1

Likes (Received): 44

Educational software firm to relocate, add 123 jobs

"Educational-software maker ANGEL Learning is graduating to new digs on the Northwestside and adding 123 jobs.

The seven-year-old company will receive $523,804 in tax breaks over eight years from the Metropolitan Development Commission.

The company, according to filings with the commission, will lease 25,000 square feet of new office space from Intech Partners Three. The construction will cost about $2 million.

ANGEL Learning was founded in 2000 as a spinoff of Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis."
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...NESS/706260330

The Indy area has really been on a roll lately with all these job announcements. Many of them have been in the tech and HQ areas.
ragerunner1 no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #1423
ragerunner1

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
What is this about? Anyone have a clue? I hope it's not something small and lame... Being that it's coming from Jishke, I'm guessing something aeronautical in nature.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...INESS/70625065

6:37 PM June 25, 2007

Jischke: exciting new venture on Indy's horizon

Outgoing Purdue President Martin C. Jischke is promising an "exciting new venture on Indianapolis' economic horizon," when he hosts a reception Thursday near the Indianapolis International Airport Midfield Terminal.

The reception is sponsored by the Purdue Research Foundation and Holladay Properties. Officials from the city and state have also been invited.

The event is scheduled for 1 p.m. Thursday across Interstate 70 from the Indianapolis International Airport Midfield Terminal. Parking for the media and guests is on Thompson Road.

The area around the new entrance to the midfield terminal is considered a prime area for development because of its proximity to the airport and the roadwork which has opened a new area of Marion and Hendricks County for development.
This should be very interesting. It seems whatever it is, they are keeping a tight lid on it. Hopefully it is something big.
ragerunner1 no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #1424
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Jesus will it never end. They are building a brand new Starbucks by my house at Keystone and I-65. Also one is going up on South Emerson across from the new Beech Grove Walmart (also too many). I wish we could just go back to the day when we had Mom and Pop establishments on every corner. I'm old-school. I remember when our VCR was a top loader and had a remote control attached with a cord.
Old June 26th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #1425
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

The IHPC has nothing to do with history and everything to do with allowing busybody neighbors to run things as they see fit. The majority of the discussions I've seen reported have little actual discussion of history.
Old June 26th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #1426
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

I love watching the BZA meetings on Brighthouse channel 16. Attorneys pleading their case for a cell phone tower or parking lots or set-backs. The boring part is when staff speaks, (sorry Cwilson758).
Old June 26th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #1427
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post
So, I was in Chicago this past weekend. I rode the Amtrack from Indianapolis union station to downtown chicago... I can't express how much I loved using the El to get anywhere i needed - but coming home and knowing how far we are from getting anything of the sort just saddens me.
As much as I love taking the Amtrak, it takes FOREVER and it's a bit expensive (unless the route is on a weekly deal). I've found Megabus to be a much better choice. I'm with you on the distance thing coming back home.. luckily I'm a short walk from either union station or CCB (where megabus picks up/drops off).

Last edited by benjaminooo; June 26th, 2007 at 08:06 PM.
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #1428
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
The IHPC has nothing to do with history and everything to do with allowing busybody neighbors to run things as they see fit. The majority of the discussions I've seen reported have little actual discussion of history.
exactly, historic districts should be for preserving the historic buildings within it, not stopping development. I am all for historic districts that preserve old buildings, but not ones that keep development from occuring. Heck, I wouldent mind seeing skyscrapers being built along the western side of the whiteriver as long as they preserve the jewls over there.
But egh, what is it with people and low density development?
Old June 26th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #1429
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
I have a question:

Does anyone know what is going on at the Marriott hotel at I-465 and I-70? They are definitely doing an expansion and it appears to be at least 4-5 stories, but it could be taller. Any ideas?
Not too sure, but there is also a new hotel going up at I-465 and Emerson that appears to be 4-5 stories as well. Not sure if it's a Marriott or Holiday Inn though.
Old June 26th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #1430
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Canal complex wins city incentives

A new apartment and retail complex along the canal has won a 10-year tax abatement worth $2.7 million. The Cosmopolitan on the Canal project, by locally based Flaherty & Collins Properties, is slated to include 218 apartment units, 18,000 square feet of retail space and a 338-space parking garage. The $33 million project would be bordered by the canal, Senate Avenue, Michigan Street and North Street. Although downtown apartment occupancy is near 100 percent, city officials say incentives are justified because the project includes canal-level retail, public restrooms and 30 parking spaces dedicated to canal users.
Old June 26th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #1431
Unionstation13

Quote:
A new apartment and retail complex along the canal has won a 10-year tax abatement worth $2.7 million. The Cosmopolitan on the Canal project, by locally based Flaherty & Collins Properties, is slated to include 218 apartment units, 18,000 square feet of retail space and a 338-space parking garage. The $33 million project would be bordered by the canal, Senate Avenue, Michigan Street and North Street. Although downtown apartment occupancy is near 100 percent, city officials say incentives are justified because the project includes canal-level retail, public restrooms and 30 parking spaces dedicated to canal users.
thats fantastic, for a second I thought it said parking lot, and i nearly puked.
When will the renderings be out?
Old June 26th, 2007, 08:57 PM   #1432
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Indiana Convention Center design called futuristic by local architects

RATIO Architects' design for the Indiana Convention Center expansion is futuristic and will help set a new tone for downtown buildings, two Indianapolis architects who didn't work on the project said after seeing images released yesterday.

Plenty of glass and horizontal planes will make the expansion look high-tech and inviting to convention planners, said architects who commented on designs released yesterday for the expansion that will be built on the site of the RCA Dome after Lucas Oil Stadium is completed next year,

"If our goal is to be a world-class city, to entice major conventions, this exterior will provide the image of a world-class city," said Schmidt & Associates associate and program manager Deb Kunce. "It's pretty high-tech looking."

Axis Architecture & Interiors principal Drew White said tipping a hat to the limestone and brick of the existing convention center coupled with more glazing in the addition will offer different sensations: "It will allow the building to change during the day, and even during the seasons."

Kunce said the translucent design will allow people on the inside to easily see the downtown, and for people outside to see activity on the interior.

Also, the arches at the entrance are a new look to the downtown. "This one isn't 'safe,'" Kunce said.

White wouldn't say whether he felt the design was safe or bold.

White added that he's puzzled by the arches.

"I don't dislike them," he said. "It's interesting, but I don't where it came from. I just don't know what inspired them, the shape."

Plans unveiled to the Indiana Stadium and Convention Building Authority by Indianapolis-based RATIO call for 254,000 square feet of additional exhibit space, 63,000 square feet of meeting rooms, a new banquet kitchen and 100,000 square feet of so-called "pre-function space"-including a three-story entry pavilion planned for the intersection of Capitol Avenue and Georgia Street.

A covered connector will be built between the convention center and Lucas Oil Stadium. The connector will stretch south from the center along Capitol before crossing South Street.

http://www.indianaeconomicdigest.com...ubSectionID=74
Old June 26th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #1433
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
thats fantastic, for a second I thought it said parking lot, and i nearly puked.
When will the renderings be out?
they have a rendering here:
http://www.ibj.com/html/blog.html

I couldn't post it because my photobucket is being a pain.
Old June 26th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #1434
Unionstation13

BOLD? oh god. This is just a taste of bold architecture god. Why does this not suprise me?
Old June 26th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #1435
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

Speaking of Canal development, what's the deal with the proposals for the lot across from the History Center? I think one was supposed to be picked this summer?
cityfan no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 11:46 PM   #1436
k2h

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
RATIO Architects' design for the Indiana Convention Center expansion is futuristic and will help set a new tone for downtown buildings, two Indianapolis architects who didn't work on the project said after seeing images released yesterday.

Plenty of glass and horizontal planes will make the expansion look high-tech and inviting to convention planners, said architects who commented on designs released yesterday for the expansion that will be built on the site of the RCA Dome after Lucas Oil Stadium is completed next year,

"If our goal is to be a world-class city, to entice major conventions, this exterior will provide the image of a world-class city," said Schmidt & Associates associate and program manager Deb Kunce. "It's pretty high-tech looking."

Axis Architecture & Interiors principal Drew White said tipping a hat to the limestone and brick of the existing convention center coupled with more glazing in the addition will offer different sensations: "It will allow the building to change during the day, and even during the seasons."

Kunce said the translucent design will allow people on the inside to easily see the downtown, and for people outside to see activity on the interior.

Also, the arches at the entrance are a new look to the downtown. "This one isn't 'safe,'" Kunce said.

"I don't dislike them," he said. "It's interesting, but I don't where it came from. I just don't know what inspired them, the shape."

Plans unveiled to the Indiana Stadium and Convention Building Authority by Indianapolis-based RATIO call for 254,000 square feet of additional exhibit space, 63,000 square feet of meeting rooms, a new banquet kitchen and 100,000 square feet of so-called "pre-function space"-including a three-story entry pavilion planned for the intersection of Capitol Avenue and Georgia Street.

A covered connector will be built between the convention center and Lucas Oil Stadium. The connector will stretch south from the center along Capitol before crossing South Street.

http://www.indianaeconomicdigest.com...ubSectionID=74

Is it just me or do the comments offered by these local architects make everyone cringe? It is a clue as to why we continue to get conventional and uninspired design out of local design firms if their best description of the convention center design is "futuristic" and "high-tech".

Are you kidding me? This design is not "futuristic" and/or "high-tech". Such contemporary designs can be found today all over the world. This design is nothing extraordinary.

Although i will admit i didn't have high expectations, i think the design is good. There is a nice mix of traditional and contemporary elements and the glass facade creates a feeling of openness that promotes and engages street-life. Damn, and i'm not even an architect!
k2h no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #1437
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
RATIO Architects' design for the Indiana Convention Center expansion is futuristic...

"It's pretty high-tech looking."

These quotes are ridiculous. In a bad way.

Almost tops John Coddington's "One doesn't necessarily have to have good architecture..." (Regarding the JW)
ablerock no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2007, 02:02 AM   #1438
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

I can't believe they are subsidizing that apartment complex. This is all pure giveways to the developers. With the financial crisis in the city, the focus needs to be on transitioning downtown to stand on its own two feet. It's disappointing that the city still acts like it is a beggar when it comes to these developments, as if this is 1977 instead of 2007.
Old June 27th, 2007, 02:24 AM   #1439
thehoss257

Quote:
they have a rendering here:
http://www.ibj.com/html/blog.html

I couldn't post it because my photobucket is being a pain.
I'm pleasently surprised... it's not pushing the envelope but it's nice. In addition, at the canal level, it should be five or six floors tall.
thehoss257 no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2007, 02:48 AM   #1440
thehoss257

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
I can't believe they are subsidizing that apartment complex. This is all pure giveways to the developers. With the financial crisis in the city, the focus needs to be on transitioning downtown to stand on its own two feet. It's disappointing that the city still acts like it is a beggar when it comes to these developments, as if this is 1977 instead of 2007.
On the contrary, Arenn, I think there should be blanket 5 to 10 year abatement offered to any development that fits within specific downtown guidelines. For example, appropriate setbacks, street front retail etc.

The problem that we have now is that developers don't know what to expect. Some get tax abatements some get direct subsidies, some get nothing. To top it off, the city pits developers against each other, makes them spend a ton of money developing project proposals and then consistently chooses the wrong one and then gives them millions. I think our city confuses the market and makes developers feel like subsidies are necessary.

So ultimately, I agree with your point.
thehoss257 no está en línea  

Closed Thread