daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 27th, 2007, 04:11 AM   #1441
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
100%? Good Christ what a demand... Can anyone tell me why the **** there aren't more apartment towers going up downtown? The MSA project should be like 50 stories... am I missing something?
That shocks me as well. If the DT office market had that low of a vacancy rate we would see towers going up all over the place.

Indy should be seeing a huge boom in mid/high rise residential projects now. Maybe in the future something big will come up.
hoosier no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2007, 04:14 AM   #1442
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
I have a question:

Does anyone know what is going on at the Marriott hotel at I-465 and I-70? They are definitely doing an expansion and it appears to be at least 4-5 stories, but it could be taller. Any ideas?
I haven't seen that. I do know that there is a new hotel going in at Shadeland and 82nd Street by I-69.

Also, there is a new building U/C in Pike township west of I-465.

Speaking of the NW section of I-465, INDOT did a GREAT job rebuilding that leg of the beltway. Everything is top-notch.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2007, 04:15 AM   #1443
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

nearly full occupancy? I mean, I knew they were renovating old buildings and stuff into apartments, and getting really fast occupany, but thats high!
Hell,we should be building condo towers on parking lots, and midrise apartment buildings, the demand is high obviously.
Old June 27th, 2007, 04:44 AM   #1444
IndyYeah

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
nearly full occupancy? I mean, I knew they were renovating old buildings and stuff into apartments, and getting really fast occupany, but thats high!
Hell,we should be building condo towers on parking lots, and midrise apartment buildings, the demand is high obviously.
24 years ago, Symphony Tower was proposed, and downtown was much different. You know, I was in the service then and would come back to Indy every 6 months. I thought by now some International design, or cool apartment-condo tower would have been here by now. About the coolest is 3 Mass.... But I still believe a visionary with pull will actually develop something neat in 5-10 years. I am not saying 3 Mass. is great, I am saying that is about as cool as it is getting. The Ratio design, well I like the surfboard roof, but I wish more renderings as with all projects be made public.
IndyYeah no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2007, 06:38 AM   #1445
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
100%? Good Christ what a demand... Can anyone tell me why the **** there aren't more apartment towers going up downtown? The MSA project should be like 50 stories... am I missing something?
I don't believe that for a second. 100% occupancy would mean that every apartment building/complex in downtown would have a waiting list. The last time I was on the market for an apartment inside the loop (about a year ago), I can tell you that was definitely not the case. Demand is certainly high, but 100% occupancy is crazy.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2007, 02:27 PM   #1446
Powerslave

If apartment demand is that high (90+%), then that should bode well for the Kosene proposal at MSA, since it includes several hundred apartments. I still feel the Lauth/Target proposal will be chosen, because downtown Indy can't get enough of that suburban feel

I would love to see apartment highrises go up downtown. I would love to see any highrises go up downtown. Still remaining cautiously optimistic with regards to the Penn Tower.

Regarding the Convention Center expansion, I don't like it very much. It just doesn't seem very exciting to me. Oh well, I guess it will go well with that POS Marriot.
Powerslave no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2007, 04:25 PM   #1447
Matt986

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminooo View Post
As much as I love taking the Amtrak, it takes FOREVER and it's a bit expensive (unless the route is on a weekly deal). I've found Megabus to be a much better choice. I'm with you on the distance thing coming back home.. luckily I'm a short walk from either union station or CCB (where megabus picks up/drops off).

I spend a lot of time in Chicago for work so I have to deal with getting back and forth from Indy on a regular basis. I generally spend several weeks in row going up Monday morning and coming home Friday evening. I was riding the Megabus and it was very convenient (and cheap, which isn't really a concern for me). They used to have a run that left Indy at 6:45am and would get into Union Station in Chicago between 8:30am and 9:00am Chicago time. That was perfect for me since the office that I work in up there is only a couple of blocks from Union Station at Wacker and Monroe (since this is a forum devoted to skyscrapers, I'm writing this from high up in this building). A couple of months ago they expanded the number of daily runs between Indy and Chicago and that particular run got axed. Now there's a run that leaves Indy at 4:30am and one that leaves around 9:00am, neither of which work for me. Add to that the construction on I-65 north of Indy, around Merrilville, the Indiana Toll Road, the Skyway and the Dan Ryan and you're looking at a long ride into Chicago. I've gone back to flying Southwest into Midway and taking the Orange line into the loop.
Matt986 no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #1448
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt986 View Post
(since this is a forum devoted to skyscrapers, I'm writing this from high up in this building)
Nice place to work. :-)

I rode the Megabus to Chicago to see Bjork a couple of months ago. It's a great way to travel on the cheap. I'm hoping to visit all their stops this summer. I'm especially looking forward to seeing Minneapolis and Pittsburgh, as I've never been to either.

From June 27th Indianapolis Star:

City leaders to open first public wireless zone

Mayor Bart Peterson and other local leaders this morning will open the Fountain Square Cultural District Wi-Fi Zone, touted as the largest free public wireless hot zone in Indiana.

The event at The Rooftop Garden Restaurant atop The Fountain Square Theatre Building, 1105 Prospect St., marks the first public-private partnership to create a public Wi-Fi Zone in Indianapolis and was made possible through grants received by the Southeast Neighborhood Development Inc. and contributions of installation and management of the service from eWireless, according to a city news release.

Created as an economic development tool for the Fountain Square Cultural District, this hot zone will eventually cover a majority of the district including the Indianapolis Cultural Trail.

At the ceremony, Mayor Peterson will announce the location of the Indianapolis historic landmark that will become the city’s next free wireless internet zone this summer.
ablerock no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #1449
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
If apartment demand is that high (90+%), then that should bode well for the Kosene proposal at MSA, since it includes several hundred apartments. I still feel the Lauth/Target proposal will be chosen, because downtown Indy can't get enough of that suburban feel

I would love to see apartment highrises go up downtown. I would love to see any highrises go up downtown. Still remaining cautiously optimistic with regards to the Penn Tower.

Regarding the Convention Center expansion, I don't like it very much. It just doesn't seem very exciting to me. Oh well, I guess it will go well with that POS Marriot.
All this talk about downtown apartments, thought I would add my 2 cents. It needs to be affordable. You have all this new development DT with hotels, stores, new dining, etc. That requires lots of service workers who need to commute often times relying on our crappy mass transit. When I moved into Riley Towers in 1995 I paid 625 per month for my 1 bedroom on the 16th floor. When I moved out 4 years later the rent was up to 820 per month. Even with the amenities it was getting too pricey.
Old June 27th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #1450
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Matt I used to work at 10 S Wacker. However my commute was from Chicago Heights and I rode the Metra. I couldn't imagine doing your commute.
Old June 27th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #1451
Matt986

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
Matt I used to work at 10 S Wacker. However my commute was from Chicago Heights and I rode the Metra. I couldn't imagine doing your commute.
Once I'm here it's great. I usually stay at hotel just a few blocks away (Monroe and Dearborn) or if that's booked I can usually get in over in River North. I really enjoy the walk across the river from River North, although it was a bit on the chilly side in January and February.
Matt986 no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #1452
ragerunner1

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
What is this about? Anyone have a clue? I hope it's not something small and lame... Being that it's coming from Jishke, I'm guessing something aeronautical in nature.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...INESS/70625065

6:37 PM June 25, 2007

Jischke: exciting new venture on Indy's horizon

Outgoing Purdue President Martin C. Jischke is promising an "exciting new venture on Indianapolis' economic horizon," when he hosts a reception Thursday near the Indianapolis International Airport Midfield Terminal.

The reception is sponsored by the Purdue Research Foundation and Holladay Properties. Officials from the city and state have also been invited.

The event is scheduled for 1 p.m. Thursday across Interstate 70 from the Indianapolis International Airport Midfield Terminal. Parking for the media and guests is on Thompson Road.

The area around the new entrance to the midfield terminal is considered a prime area for development because of its proximity to the airport and the roadwork which has opened a new area of Marion and Hendricks County for development.
Purdue to make research park announcement in Indy
Tue. June 26 - 2007

IBJ Staff

"A news conference has been called Thursday afternoon at a site near Indianapolis International Airport at which outgoing Purdue University President Martin Jischke will make an announcement about Purdue Research Park.
State and local officials are expected to attend, too.
In West Lafayette, Purdue Research Park has more than 90 technology related companies."

Lets hope they announce a building or two and maybe a tenant.
ragerunner1 no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2007, 06:59 PM   #1453
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Indy's DT apartment occupancy rate is 97%!! That is great. I too am at a loss as to why we are not seeing highrise apartment buildings. With an occupancy rate that high, you would think that some more Riley Tower-type buildings would be popping up all over, especially in the northwest quad near IUPUI! There are a few vacant buildings that are being scopped-up for rehabs, but to me, you would think that there would be some developer willing to build tall.

I think that the Cosmopolitan is very nice. I like how they pull the Canal into the center of the of project and the retail will be great.
Old June 27th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #1454
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
Indy's DT apartment occupancy rate is 97%!! That is great. I too am at a loss as to why we are not seeing highrise apartment buildings. With an occupancy rate that high, you would think that some more Riley Tower-type buildings would be popping up all over, especially in the northwest quad near IUPUI! There are a few vacant buildings that are being scopped-up for rehabs, but to me, you would think that there would be some developer willing to build tall.

I think that the Cosmopolitan is very nice. I like how they pull the Canal into the center of the of project and the retail will be great.
its crazy,
I say they should build some highrises around the LOS. its crazy that the occupancy is that high and there is no major apartment development, the city council would be crazy not to choose the kosene project and other apartment oriented ones. people dont want condos as much as they want apartments! Heck, if they get some cheaper apartments, I will probably move to the core.
They should build a set of riley towers south of wholesale, with midrise infill.
Old June 27th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #1455
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
its crazy,
I say they should build some highrises around the LOS. its crazy that the occupancy is that high and there is no major apartment development, the city council would be crazy not to choose the kosene project and other apartment oriented ones. people dont want condos as much as they want apartments! Heck, if they get some cheaper apartments, I will probably move to the core.
They should build a set of riley towers south of wholesale, with midrise infill.
There most certainly IS major apartment development going on. The Rink Building rehab just opened (60 units), The Waverley is U/C (164 units), The Cosmopolitan is planned (218 units), and that student housing tower on Illinois is planned (~600 units). That's over 1000 units.

This is not to say I think the city shouldn't select K&K's plan -- I'd certainly prefer their development with those 240 apartments -- but they're not the only developers recognizing the demand for apartments.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #1456
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
There most certainly IS major apartment development going on. The Rink Building rehab just opened (60 units), The Waverley is U/C (164 units), The Cosmopolitan is planned (218 units), and that student housing tower on Illinois is planned (~600 units). That's over 1000 units.

This is not to say I think the city shouldn't select K&K's plan -- I'd certainly prefer their development with those 240 apartments -- but they're not the only developers recognizing the demand for apartments.
What is the deal with the Waverley? It's being built so far off of East St? Is there going to be a surface lot in front of it? The sketches look like it's going to be a drive with landscaping.. Yuck
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #1457
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminooo View Post
What is the deal with the Waverley? It's being built so far off of East St? Is there going to be a surface lot in front of it? The sketches look like it's going to be a drive with landscaping.. Yuck
Yeah, The Waverley design sucks, but there's no surface lot at East St. At least not a big one (thank god). I haven't driven past there in a while, but maybe they're waiting to build the small retail portion fronting East St. last, so that area looks like it could be a parking lot?

CorrND no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #1458
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt986 View Post
I spend a lot of time in Chicago for work so I have to deal with getting back and forth from Indy on a regular basis. I generally spend several weeks in row going up Monday morning and coming home Friday evening. I was riding the Megabus and it was very convenient (and cheap, which isn't really a concern for me). They used to have a run that left Indy at 6:45am and would get into Union Station in Chicago between 8:30am and 9:00am Chicago time. That was perfect for me since the office that I work in up there is only a couple of blocks from Union Station at Wacker and Monroe (since this is a forum devoted to skyscrapers, I'm writing this from high up in this building). A couple of months ago they expanded the number of daily runs between Indy and Chicago and that particular run got axed. Now there's a run that leaves Indy at 4:30am and one that leaves around 9:00am, neither of which work for me. Add to that the construction on I-65 north of Indy, around Merrilville, the Indiana Toll Road, the Skyway and the Dan Ryan and you're looking at a long ride into Chicago. I've gone back to flying Southwest into Midway and taking the Orange line into the loop.
Ah! That building is where my dad works when he commutes to Chicago - He's with IBM. I've yet to be inside that one, but when IBM used to be in the actual IBM Tower, I spent many times in there.
Old June 27th, 2007, 10:15 PM   #1459
Indywatch

Highrise apartments

Unfortunately the cost of putting up a highrise building is exponentially more expensive than that of low rise buildings such as the Maxwell or the Waverly, not to mention the costs of maintaining and running the complex. By the time you put up a high rise your rents are gonna have to be way expensive in order to recover your costs and pay your loan debts of getting the highrise built if you are a developer. That kindof leaves the low income families OUT of renting downtown. Land in Indianapolis surrounding downtown and somewhat even in the downtown area is still relatively cheap. For a one bedroom apartment in a new high rise apartment complex in downtown I can imaging rents being from $900 - $1500 a month if not more. If you have the money needed for a downpayment on a home... $900 - $1500 a month mortgage payment can get you a fairly nice home with a yard and garage... say in the Cottage Home, Little Flower, Broad Ripple, Irvington areas. Before I moved downtown I had a modest home in Broad Ripple I paid $81 K for... my mortgage was around $600 a month. I know prices in Broad Ripple have risen a lot, but there is still deals out there to be had. This is part of the reason you aren't seeing new high rise living buildings in Indy except for the extremely rich (eg Conrad, JW Marriott, Penn Tower penthouses). Bottom line is if developers thought it cost feesiable to put up the giant high rises and that they could get a decent return on their investment, they would build them. Apparently they dont feel they can in Indy..... yet.

Last edited by Indywatch; June 27th, 2007 at 10:37 PM.
Indywatch no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #1460
k2h

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
I would urge you to e-mail the Mayor's Office(http://www.indygov.org/eGov/Mayor/contact.htm) to offer your support of the Kosene proposal. E-mails and phone calls do have an impact -- take note of how much the right-wing nuts in Indiana have affected change in the state legislature.
k2h no está en línea  

Closed Thread