daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 27th, 2007, 10:46 PM   #1461
kangaroo1

Likes (Received): 44

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
All this talk about downtown apartments, thought I would add my 2 cents. It needs to be affordable. You have all this new development DT with hotels, stores, new dining, etc. That requires lots of service workers who need to commute often times relying on our crappy mass transit. When I moved into Riley Towers in 1995 I paid 625 per month for my 1 bedroom on the 16th floor. When I moved out 4 years later the rent was up to 820 per month. Even with the amenities it was getting too pricey.

I am sorry, but while your ideas about the need for affordable housing are correct, your example of using Riley Towers is not.

Riley Towers from its inception was built as a luxury apartment complex (and people can debate what the "luxury" standard is). It was not intended as work-force housing, nor was it necessarily geared to middle-class individuals.

Also, you are stating the rent you paid about 12 years ago when you moved in--I believe rents all over the city have gone up over the past 12 years--while it did go up substantially over the four years, the building was also renovated extensively at that time and downtown housing market really hit an upswing. Nonetheless, even the final amount you paid before moving out is quite frankly not really high rent for the Indianapolis area for a higher-end, safe apartment convenient to dining/shopping/entertainment. My aunt recently moved from a two-bedroom apartment in Pike Township nowhere near walking distance to anything--not even a strip mall (there are some within driving distance) While my aunt's apartment itself was fairly decent, it had no amenities, and more importantly, her apartment complex was full of gang members and was not a safe place to live. Her car was vandalized at least four times during the less 1 year she lived there, and she was routinely harrassed by gang members. What did she pay to be terrorized every day? $675 a month! I will grant you that her apartment was a two-bedroom, but my point is that it had no amenities and it was not in a safe location. While your rent of $820 for a one-bedroom with a good view located in a building with many amenities and near a plethora of dining, entertainment, and shopping option might have been too high for your personal budget, it is not an exorbitant rent given the general Indianapolis rental market. A look at the Riley Towers website shows that current one-bedrooms there go from $759 to about $1,000 a month depending on square footage--which varies from 654 to 907 square feet, layout, and floor level (the higher up you go, the more you pay).

That being said, I do belive some developers of rental housing will start targeting the middle-market and a few will build for the low-income individuals who want to live downtown. Obviously, private develpers want to get the biggest return they can, and now that the higher-end market is leveling off, they will focus on the middle-market and where feasible on lower-income housing (although, usually these projects require public assistance). This is already happening in the condo market downtown. For example, at the mid-market level, Kosense & Kosene is building the Maxwell. At the low-income to lower moderate income level, Mansur and the Riley Area Development Corp. recently restored the Rink-Savoy building--of course, this project got tax breaks. Building affordable housing downtown (and "affordable" includes many different income levels) will be driven by both the private market and public investment--as more people move downtown, more of this type of housing will be built.
kangaroo1 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2007, 10:48 PM   #1462
Matt986

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indywatch View Post
Apparently they dont feel they can in Indy..... yet.
(bolding in the quote above is mine)

That's the key right there. Baby steps. We'll get there. At the rate that downtown development is ramping up we probably won't have to wait that long.
Matt986 no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2007, 10:58 PM   #1463
Paintrain

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2h View Post
I would urge you to e-mail the Mayor's Office(http://www.indygov.org/eGov/Mayor/contact.htm) to offer your support of the Kosene proposal. E-mails and phone calls do have an impact -- take note of how much the right-wing nuts in Indiana have affected change in the state legislature.

we should have done that for the intercontinentle hotel proposal to
Paintrain no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #1464
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

I just contacted the mayors office about the market square proposals.
Does anyone know where to find the population of downtown Indianapolis?
Old June 27th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #1465
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
Yeah, The Waverley design sucks, but there's no surface lot at East St. At least not a big one (thank god). I haven't driven past there in a while, but maybe they're waiting to build the small retail portion fronting East St. last, so that area looks like it could be a parking lot?

Ah ok, I'm glad there are buildings fronting East St. However, this just looks like a shitty hotel style apartment complex.. wtf? I'm glad the land is being developed.. the SE quad needs a lot of in fill.

Hopefully this will spur more development towards college ave surrounding Iaria's and Milano Inn. This area is really under utilized.. Especially the empty commercial spots in Fletcher Place. I think the Biz Salon is finally open at the corner of Fletcher and College.
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2007, 03:37 AM   #1466
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

From June 27th Indianapolis Star:

Hotels near stadium going up; garage is next
Star Report

Architects in the past week have begun acquiring necessary permits as part of construction of an estimated $4.5 million parking garage at 500 S. West St.

The garage would support three hotels that Fishers-based Dora Hospitality is building near Lucas Oil Stadium.

Two of those hotels, a Staybridge Suites and Comfort Suites, are now under construction.
ablerock no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2007, 03:51 AM   #1467
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
From June 27th Indianapolis Star:

Hotels near stadium going up; garage is next
Star Report

Architects in the past week have begun acquiring necessary permits as part of construction of an estimated $4.5 million parking garage at 500 S. West St.

The garage would support three hotels that Fishers-based Dora Hospitality is building near Lucas Oil Stadium.

Two of those hotels, a Staybridge Suites and Comfort Suites, are now under construction.
Anyone know where the third hotel is planned to be built?

We should incorporate visiting these two U/C hotels into the July 7th forum meetup.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:50 AM   #1468
Wu-Gambino

Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
And if I recall correctly, both designs were absolute shit (fit for an exit off of 1-69 or 1-70).
Wu-Gambino no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2007, 08:41 AM   #1469
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
we should have done that for the intercontinentle hotel proposal to
We did.

I'm emailing the mayors office right now.

Last edited by billionbucks; June 28th, 2007 at 08:47 AM.
billionbucks no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #1470
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
I just contacted the mayors office about the market square proposals.
Does anyone know where to find the population of downtown Indianapolis?
This is the best I could find from IDI.
http://www.indydt.com/factsheet.html
Old June 28th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #1471
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaroo1 View Post
I am sorry, but while your ideas about the need for affordable housing are correct, your example of using Riley Towers is not.

Riley Towers from its inception was built as a luxury apartment complex (and people can debate what the "luxury" standard is). It was not intended as work-force housing, nor was it necessarily geared to middle-class individuals.

Also, you are stating the rent you paid about 12 years ago when you moved in--I believe rents all over the city have gone up over the past 12 years--while it did go up substantially over the four years, the building was also renovated extensively at that time and downtown housing market really hit an upswing. Nonetheless, even the final amount you paid before moving out is quite frankly not really high rent for the Indianapolis area for a higher-end, safe apartment convenient to dining/shopping/entertainment. My aunt recently moved from a two-bedroom apartment in Pike Township nowhere near walking distance to anything--not even a strip mall (there are some within driving distance) While my aunt's apartment itself was fairly decent, it had no amenities, and more importantly, her apartment complex was full of gang members and was not a safe place to live. Her car was vandalized at least four times during the less 1 year she lived there, and she was routinely harrassed by gang members. What did she pay to be terrorized every day? $675 a month! I will grant you that her apartment was a two-bedroom, but my point is that it had no amenities and it was not in a safe location. While your rent of $820 for a one-bedroom with a good view located in a building with many amenities and near a plethora of dining, entertainment, and shopping option might have been too high for your personal budget, it is not an exorbitant rent given the general Indianapolis rental market. A look at the Riley Towers website shows that current one-bedrooms there go from $759 to about $1,000 a month depending on square footage--which varies from 654 to 907 square feet, layout, and floor level (the higher up you go, the more you pay).

That being said, I do belive some developers of rental housing will start targeting the middle-market and a few will build for the low-income individuals who want to live downtown. Obviously, private develpers want to get the biggest return they can, and now that the higher-end market is leveling off, they will focus on the middle-market and where feasible on lower-income housing (although, usually these projects require public assistance). This is already happening in the condo market downtown. For example, at the mid-market level, Kosense & Kosene is building the Maxwell. At the low-income to lower moderate income level, Mansur and the Riley Area Development Corp. recently restored the Rink-Savoy building--of course, this project got tax breaks. Building affordable housing downtown (and "affordable" includes many different income levels) will be driven by both the private market and public investment--as more people move downtown, more of this type of housing will be built.
Point taken
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #1472
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

FYI: Census city estimates are out.

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/...on/010315.html

http://www.census.gov/popest/cities/SUB-EST2006-4.html
Old June 28th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #1473
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

I am surprised at the city's gain of 3,000. The suburbs are all showing medium to very high growth numbers, which as expected. Anderson even looks like its hemmorhaging has finally stopped and looks to be leveling off.
Old June 28th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #1474
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Everytime I visit Chicago or any other big city, I always wonder why our downtown doesn't have a few of these...looks like we will soon. I love some dunkin' doughnuts and their coffee is superior to Starbucks!

CHAIN'S BIG RETURN
Dunkin' Donuts brews up big Indy growth plans
Breakfast chain franchisees will launch 80 sites over next 6 years

Dunkin' Donuts will bring its coffee and baked goods and hard-to-miss orange-hued stores back to Indianapolis, this time in force.

Dunkin' Donuts

• Businesses operated: Restaurants specializing in coffee, baked goods and breakfast.
• Headquarters: Canton, Mass.
• Owner: Dunkin' Brands, which also owns Baskin- Robbins ice cream.
• Founded: 1950.
• Restaurants: About 7,200 in 30 countries.
• Indianapolis plans: 80 stores in the next six years.
• Indianapolis franchisees: HSG Restaurant Group of Indianapolis (40 sites); Ken Wright and Mike McCracken of Indianapolis (15 sites); and Miracle Restaurant Group of New Orleans (25 sites).

The New England-based chain plans to blanket the metro area with 80 locations over the next six years, part of its national push to triple in size.
Less upscale than Starbucks and more service-attuned than convenience stores, Dunkin' Donuts figures its modestly priced java and yeasty sweets will fill a healthy share of Hoosier cravings.
"Indianapolis fits our brand. I think we're a phenomenal alternative to what exists in Indy," said Robert Rodriguez, president of Dunkin' Donuts.
The first store likely will open in August at 1305 Range Line Road in Carmel, in a former bank branch. Another is set to open the following month at West 86th Street and Ditch Road, where an old Dunkin' Donuts once was located.
A retail gorilla in New England, much of Florida and other Eastern markets, Dunkin' Donuts never caught on big in Indianapolis. It currently has no stores in the area.
The return to Indianapolis of the nation's No. 1 purveyor of coffee by the cup could stir up a competitive response from entrenched brewers of the bean.
"On the coffee side, it will be a war," predicted Eric Hillenbrand, a retail broker for Colliers Turley Martin Tucker, who is helping Dunkin' Donuts scout out Indianapolis sites.
He sees Dunkin' duking it out with groceries, convenience stores and Starbucks, which operates more than 50 sites in the metro area.
Dunkin' Donuts wants to open free-standing stores with drive-ups on heavily trafficked commuting routes, as well as kiosk-type sites at gas stations, office buildings, hotels or other places close to where people work.
The 57-year-old retailer, known for serving breakfast all day, has retooled and broadened its menu of late, adding French Toast Twists, a sausage omelet and a new line of cookies. It also serves teas and made-to-order sandwiches.
Although the look of its stores has been upgraded and stylized, the chain doesn't try to be as upscale as Starbucks, said Hillenbrand.
"You won't see a lot of big, fluffy couches and funky music playing at Dunkin' Donuts," he said. "It's going to be a little more pragmatic."
The typical store employs 15 to 25 people.
Three franchisees are committed under contract to build the 80 stores in the Indianapolis area, said Lynette McKee, vice president of franchising. Dunkin' Donuts also is scouting for franchisees to open sites in Fort Wayne, South Bend and other Indiana cities, she said.
Don Moore, president of Miracle Restaurant Group of New Orleans, which operates Arby's restaurants in Colorado and Chicago, said his company plans 25 Dunkin' Donuts locations in the northern half of Marion County and the fast-growing areas of Carmel, Fishers and Zionsville.
"We have a very sweet trade area to develop," he said. "We're looking for the best real estate."
He's confident people will recognize the brand name. As he goes around Indianapolis and mentions he's building Dunkin' Donuts stores, "I've never had anybody say, 'What's that?' "
Indianapolis semi driver Leland Young said he's happy to hear Dunkin' Donuts is coming. "I go for the doughnut thing a couple of times a week. They would get me as a customer."
Old June 28th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #1475
Unionstation13

hopefully the new starbucks arent just scattered suburbian little facalities.
I still prefer starbucks.
But, hopefully they incorporate into retail level of buildings.
Old June 28th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #1476
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Great news--I now have a new place to get my coffee. I don't like Starbucks at all...too pricey and they're already oversaturated in the metro.

Why 80 locations though? That seems a bit high.
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2007, 08:35 PM   #1477
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
Indianapolis continues to grow!
Old June 28th, 2007, 08:35 PM   #1478
ragerunner1

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownBoy View Post
Great news--I now have a new place to get my coffee. I don't like Starbucks at all...too pricey and they're already oversaturated in the metro.

I was in Providence not to long ago and I was amazed how may Dukin' Donuts they have. It was amazing.
ragerunner1 no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #1479
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownBoy View Post

Indianapolis is fairly large. I wouldn't be surprised if there are 80 starbucks (i guess there is 50, i should of read the entire article first) or 80 mcdonalds within Marion County.

I've missed Dunkin' Donuts coffee sooo bad. I used to hit up the 86th and Ditch location. I think DD would kill in Indy. I always prefer coffee from a local shop, but DD will hit that market in between Starbucks and local shops.

I also hope that a chain convenience store ala Sheetz, WaWa, United Dairy Farmers or 7-eleven decided to blanket Indy in future. I know we have Village Pantry, but it just doesn't make the cut in my opinion.
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #1480
Paintrain

in chicago they are everywhere i wonder if they will have Baskin Robins to i didnt see naything about it in the article
Paintrain no está en línea  

Closed Thread