daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old June 30th, 2007, 07:33 PM   #1501
Unionstation13
Registered User
 
Unionstation13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indianapolis/Lafayette
Posts: 3,439
Likes (Received): 37

when will the renderings come out for the penn towers?
Wow, 28 floors, thats defianitly going to impact the skyline.
__________________
Peter- "Geesh, Meg is in there taking a nap under water!".
Unionstation13 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #1502
arenn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,905
Likes (Received): 132

I'm very surprised to see that this is principally a hotel project. I would have thought the hotel would be add on to residential, but it looks like it will be the other way around.
__________________
My Urban Affairs Blog: http://www.urbanophile.com/
arenn no está en línea  
Old June 30th, 2007, 08:30 PM   #1503
IndyYeah
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chesterton
Posts: 965
Likes (Received): 0

I am very glad that the Omega facade will be saved for this project. It is a simple front, but it is Indianapolis history. There has been too many buildings, some gems, that are gone and at least part of this will remain. Hope that the groundbreaking happens this year, though I bet it will happen in 2008.
IndyYeah no está en línea  
Old June 30th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #1504
IndyYeah
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chesterton
Posts: 965
Likes (Received): 0

Is the joint 9 story building, which I think incorporates the Omega, having parking in the upper floors.I doubt that this would be the only parking. Would the 2 towers incorporate more parking?
IndyYeah no está en línea  
Old June 30th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #1505
Unionstation13
Registered User
 
Unionstation13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indianapolis/Lafayette
Posts: 3,439
Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
It has a lien that states that it can't be developed into a hotel. Apparently that wasn't something they could overcome.. Like I've stated earlier, there are plans to build a parking structure with retail on the site, but that's still in the planning stages, and basically unrelated to the Penn Centre project.

The 17 story tower is news to me... So, with these two towers, and another 14 - 21 story project soon to be unveiled south of the tracks on Penn, we have 3 new highrises on Pennsylvania, south of Maryland. cool.
what 14-21 story project?
I havent heard anything about it.
__________________
Peter- "Geesh, Meg is in there taking a nap under water!".
Unionstation13 no está en línea  
Old June 30th, 2007, 10:59 PM   #1506
Unionstation13
Registered User
 
Unionstation13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indianapolis/Lafayette
Posts: 3,439
Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
Information isn't available online. I know about it from my friends at Ratio, and from official Wholesale District Task Force communications. Here's the blurb:

----------
Wholesale District Area Task Force
April 18, 2007
Meeting Summary
General Updates

Urban Space has planned a mixed use project at the block bounded by Meridian, South and Pennsylvania streets just south of the CSX line. They have hired Ratio and have preliminary drawings that show a building that could be 14-20 stories. Expect to see 1st floor retail, 3-4 levels of parking, a fitness center, boutique hotel and condominiums.
wow, all this talk of new highrises is making me frisky!
__________________
Peter- "Geesh, Meg is in there taking a nap under water!".
Unionstation13 no está en línea  
Old June 30th, 2007, 11:02 PM   #1507
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!
 
IndiexInxIndy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: iNdY!
Posts: 437
Likes (Received): 0

Frisky eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
wow, all this talk of new highrises is making me frisky!
(Head in gutter)
__________________
Indianapolis. EVERYTHING you NEED & NOTHIN ya DONT! ;-)
IndiexInxIndy no está en línea  
Old July 1st, 2007, 04:22 AM   #1508
ablerock
Registered User
 
ablerock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fountain Square - Naptown
Posts: 1,900
Likes (Received): 29

Yay for Penn Centre!

This is a really exciting time to live in Indianapolis. In a couple of years, It will look/feel completely different. I know we've posted these lists before, but I still love 'em:

-The Cultural Trail
-The Luke
-The JW
-MSA Redevelopment
-Grain Building Expansion
-2 Penn Centre Towers
-Convention Center Expansion
-The Cosmopolitan
-Canal Hotel near Indiana History Building
-Paramount Towers Student Housing
-Almost Open Public Library!
-3 Mass Ave.
-Lockerbie Park
-Nameless South Meridian Development near Old Spaghetti factory
-Nameless Urban Space Tower on Pennsylvania & South
-Giant Roller Coaster Circle Gateway (No news is good News in this case) :-)
-707 N. East St. Condos
-429 Pennsylvania Center Condominiums (4-story addition)
-and a bit farther in the future... mass transit. (fingers-crossed)

I'm pleased with all the development, but I'd really love to have a couple of projects that I respect architecturally. With most of these I'm just happy that they're replacing parking lots and bringing more people downtown!
ablerock no está en línea  
Old July 1st, 2007, 04:50 AM   #1509
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.
 
MilwaukeeMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 2,172
Likes (Received): 356

Just wanted to tell ya that I stopped in Indy last week on the way to a backpacking/photography trip in the Appalachians. Downtown looked fantastic. Very clean, lots of cool shops and such, plenty of activity at street level, etc. I got coffee at Borders.. that place is pretty cool inside! Reminds me of Milwaukee's public library... and that says a lot, trust me. I wondered about a stretch of storefronts that were vacant though... I don't know the street but it was right by Borders, if not on that very street. Why wouldn't there be anything in any of those buildings?

As always, parking sucks in downtown and I hate your traffic lights. I thought Milwaukee had poorly timed lights but yours are downright terrible and they last forever! Haha... oh well. It's the small things. Speaking of small things... what the hell is that LED sign near Borders (I know, I didn't go far) that has the yellow street crossing guy walking along? Art I'd imagine?

On the way back from my trip, I drove along I-65 from the south to the north and I've gotta say, the skyline looked mighty fine from all angles. The view from the east looking west is my favorite though.

Sorry, I'm rambling.. adios.
__________________
flickr
purchase prints
MilwaukeeMark no está en línea  
Old July 1st, 2007, 04:54 AM   #1510
IndyBob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 227
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
I'm very surprised to see that this is principally a hotel project. I would have thought the hotel would be add on to residential, but it looks like it will be the other way around.
I'm surprised as well. Not sure if this is the best time to be adding more hotel rooms to the market. This goes double for the project at Penn & South. Seems that rental apartments would be a safer bet than a hotel or condos. Still, it's nice to see a good mixed-use project - retail, parking, hotel and condos. I would like to see a little more height, but this project will do wonders for the SE quad. Expect the Historic Preservation Commission to balk at the height.
IndyBob no está en línea  
Old July 1st, 2007, 06:37 AM   #1511
billionbucks
Colts Fan
 
billionbucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Indianapolis / DC
Posts: 642
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMark View Post
Just wanted to tell ya that I stopped in Indy last week on the way to a backpacking/photography trip in the Appalachians. Downtown looked fantastic. Very clean, lots of cool shops and such, plenty of activity at street level, etc. I got coffee at Borders.. that place is pretty cool inside! Reminds me of Milwaukee's public library... and that says a lot, trust me. I wondered about a stretch of storefronts that were vacant though... I don't know the street but it was right by Borders, if not on that very street. Why wouldn't there be anything in any of those buildings?

As always, parking sucks in downtown and I hate your traffic lights. I thought Milwaukee had poorly timed lights but yours are downright terrible and they last forever! Haha... oh well. It's the small things. Speaking of small things... what the hell is that LED sign near Borders (I know, I didn't go far) that has the yellow street crossing guy walking along? Art I'd imagine?

On the way back from my trip, I drove along I-65 from the south to the north and I've gotta say, the skyline looked mighty fine from all angles. The view from the east looking west is my favorite though.

Sorry, I'm rambling.. adios.

It's art:
http://www.indyarts.org/artists_publ...ail.aspx?ID=32

They're all over downtown, different types of signs
__________________
Indiana
billionbucks no está en línea  
Old July 1st, 2007, 04:42 PM   #1512
arenn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,905
Likes (Received): 132

The first time I saw those Julian Opie pieces I thought they were some type of fancy walk/don't walk sign. I hope nobody was confused by them and walked into the middle of the street when they weren't supposed to!
__________________
My Urban Affairs Blog: http://www.urbanophile.com/
arenn no está en línea  
Old July 2nd, 2007, 03:37 AM   #1513
hoosier
Registered User
 
hoosier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,436
Likes (Received): 53

That is good news on the Penn Center and the proposal at South and Pennsylvania.

I just want to see these projects get built!!

Right now, the only major DT project significantly U/C is LOS.

I will remain skeptical of all this DT development until I see bulldozers and construction crews working on these "proposals."
hoosier no está en línea  
Old July 2nd, 2007, 04:55 PM   #1514
ragerunner1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 437
Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBob View Post
I'm surprised as well. Not sure if this is the best time to be adding more hotel rooms to the market. This goes double for the project at Penn & South. Seems that rental apartments would be a safer bet than a hotel or condos. Still, it's nice to see a good mixed-use project - retail, parking, hotel and condos. I would like to see a little more height, but this project will do wonders for the SE quad. Expect the Historic Preservation Commission to balk at the height.
I would agree, the best market right now is rental apartments. I think this project sounds great, but downtown can only support so much lodging even with the convention center expansion.
ragerunner1 no está en línea  
Old July 2nd, 2007, 05:01 PM   #1515
ragerunner1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 437
Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
That is good news on the Penn Center and the proposal at South and Pennsylvania.

I just want to see these projects get built!!

Right now, the only major DT project significantly U/C is LOS.

I will remain skeptical of all this DT development until I see bulldozers and construction crews working on these "proposals."
This is a problem that is growing in most cities. Funding for projects are getting tougher and developers are having trouble securing sales numbers need for projects with condos. The US condo market has busted (this includes cities in the midwest as well). I think a hotel or apartment project has a better chance than condo projects right now. I believe the US economy is moving towards a recession, so its very important for developers and cities to get project off the ground this year, because next year is going to be tough.
ragerunner1 no está en línea  
Old July 2nd, 2007, 05:04 PM   #1516
cwilson758
Cory
 
cwilson758's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Francisco via Indianapolis
Posts: 3,403
Likes (Received): 15

Although I am THRILLED about this announcement, I will believe it when I see cranes. The reason, as mentioned, is that I think our downtown is "hoteled-out!" There isn't a whole lot of "sight-seeing" in Indianapolis. We are a convention and sports city and all of these rooms on the drawing board has me nervous. Can we absorb that many in the next 4 years? I know that Greg Allen is a very smart man and has been working on this for quite sometime...I think I first mentioned his intentions nearly 2.5 years ago, so for him to finally make this big announcement, I am sure that it is nearly a "done deal," but I can't help but be pessimistic.

Now, if all fo this does pan out, WOW! Downtown will have 5 "skyscrapers" U/C with a handful of 10-story buildings throughtout the dt.
__________________
"Indianapolis has the reputation of a shark striking when other cities sleep."
cwilson758 no está en línea  
Old July 2nd, 2007, 05:06 PM   #1517
cwilson758
Cory
 
cwilson758's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Francisco via Indianapolis
Posts: 3,403
Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
It has a lien that states that it can't be developed into a hotel. Apparently that wasn't something they could overcome.. Like I've stated earlier, there are plans to build a parking structure with retail on the site, but that's still in the planning stages, and basically unrelated to the Penn Centre project.

The 17 story tower is news to me... So, with these two towers, and another 14 - 21 story project soon to be unveiled south of the tracks on Penn, we have 3 new highrises on Pennsylvania, south of Maryland. cool.

Way back when I was told that it would be 2 towers, but then I thought that it was combined to one.

Speaking of "south of teh railroad tracks," when is Meridian Overlook supposed to start?
__________________
"Indianapolis has the reputation of a shark striking when other cities sleep."
cwilson758 no está en línea  
Old July 2nd, 2007, 05:11 PM   #1518
CorrND
Moderator Chris
 
CorrND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,495
Likes (Received): 463

I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion of Penn Centre so far! Was everybody out of town (like me) or is there too little detail to discuss? Couple bullet comments:
  • One 40+ story tower and a low rise or 28 and 17? I'll gladly take the latter.
  • But what does the Harness Factory Lofts owner think of this? I thought development on the parking lot in front was supposed to be low-rise to maintain views from the lofts? Whatever, give me the 17-story tower!
  • 6 more restaurants?! Sweet!
  • Only $75-100M? This project is probably only half as much land but more total square footage than the MSA redevelopment proposals that are estimated at $130M (K&K) and $150M (Hearthview) each. The Conrad also cost $100M and is clearly much smaller than this proposal.
  • It's not a huge issue to me, but in the end I'm glad they're saving the Omega facade.
  • The CCB is also 28 stories and in the SE quad. Do they KNOW their tower is going to be taller than the CCB and if so, why aren't they announcing the height?

Last edited by CorrND; July 2nd, 2007 at 05:32 PM.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old July 2nd, 2007, 06:08 PM   #1519
Unionstation13
Registered User
 
Unionstation13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indianapolis/Lafayette
Posts: 3,439
Likes (Received): 37

wow, I dident think about that, the penn tower is going to be taller then the city county building, wow, this is something to open up a bottle of 1933 wine!
__________________
Peter- "Geesh, Meg is in there taking a nap under water!".
Unionstation13 no está en línea  
Old July 2nd, 2007, 06:10 PM   #1520
cwilson758
Cory
 
cwilson758's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Francisco via Indianapolis
Posts: 3,403
Likes (Received): 15

Let's see...

Downtown:
30-story JW Marriott (Conv. Hotel Complex)
18-story Courtyard & Springhill Suites Tower (Conv. Hotel Complex)
28-story Le Meridian Hotel (Penn Centre)
17-story Aloft Hotel (Penn Centre)
21-story Apartment tower (MSA site)
17-story Apartment tower (MSA site)
10-story 3Mass Ave (condo)
14-story Paramount Towers (student housing)
8-story 707 East North Street (condo)
Lucas Oil Stadium (u/c)
Convention Center Expansion (will start once LOS is finished)
The Cosmopolitan (4-story aparment project on Canal)
The Waverly (3-story apartment project in Fletcher Place)

You know, I have been very jealous of all of the projects I have read about in Charlotte and other Sun Belt Cities, but after compliling this list (that just includes downtown), I have to give the Circle City its props!!! What a list. NO OTHER REGIONAL PEER CITY CITY CAN COME CLOSE to this in terms of downtown development! That is 163 floors of high rises building that are to be completed by 2010! Indianapolis really is setting the pace for our region!

Midtown:
14-story Tower House/Indigo Hotel (Grain Dealers Building)

and of course, the new Indianapolis International Airport
__________________
"Indianapolis has the reputation of a shark striking when other cities sleep."

Last edited by cwilson758; July 2nd, 2007 at 07:46 PM.
cwilson758 no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu