daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 2nd, 2007, 06:12 PM   #1521
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

South Meridian Place

Just came across these renderings at Urban Space's webpage for that project at Meridian and South St, south of the tracks. I don't think they've been posted here yet but I apologize if they have. They're dated May 21, 2007 by Ratio Architects.

EDIT: just wanted to add that they also have architectural schematics detailing 10 stories + underground parking:

U/G: 92 condo parking spaces
1: ground floor retail
2-4: 177 parking spaces per floor
5: fitness center
6: hotel restaurant and lounge plus 29 rooms
7-8: 70 hotel rooms per floor
9-10: 30 condos per floor

Last edited by CorrND; July 2nd, 2007 at 06:35 PM.
CorrND no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2007, 06:17 PM   #1522
Indywatch

Likes (Received): 0

By the way.... Isn't the new JW Marriott only 29 floors, one floor short of the 30 floors expected by the city and promised by the developers? But who's counting?
Indywatch no está en línea  
Old July 2nd, 2007, 06:33 PM   #1523
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

wow, the south meridian project is pretty cool,
although I wish the portion facing the slippery noodle was more federal, I still really like the design.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 07:22 PM   #1524
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
Just came across these renderings at Urban Space's webpage for that project at Meridian and South St, south of the tracks. I don't think they've been posted here yet but I apologize if they have. They're dated May 21, 2007 by Ratio Architects.

Thanks for posting these!

This looks great. Nothing mind-blowing, but finally a building that looks like it was designed by someone with some sort of training.

It looks like they were actually trying to be creative!

At first glance, I like the way they integrated the garage.
ablerock no está en línea  
Old July 2nd, 2007, 07:51 PM   #1525
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:

sweet mercy. this will fill in this space nicely. Hopefully someone can convince Arby's to move into a retail space in this building and demolish the suburban one across the street.. At least the subway next door fronts the sidewalk.

Mid-level parking garage FTW!
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:05 PM   #1526
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

With so much development planned or ongoing downtown, I think that it is safe to say that our town is doing extremely well. Of course, when most or all of these projects come to fruition I will truly consider downtown to be "booming".

Take that, Chicago
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:11 PM   #1527
billionbucks
Colts Fan

The project looks good! I like how it curves with the tracks a little bit... nice way to use the space. I'm sure the view of the city will be great from this location... looking north of course.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:13 PM   #1528
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminooo View Post
sweet mercy. this will fill in this space nicely. Hopefully someone can convince Arby's to move into a retail space in this building and demolish the suburban one across the street.. At least the subway next door fronts the sidewalk.
If I remember correctly, we all have Cory to thank for that small victory with the Subway building placement.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:16 PM   #1529
billionbucks
Colts Fan

It's weird that this rendering was sure to remove the RCA Dome but did not include the new Simon Tower or Conrad Tower.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:16 PM   #1530
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
If I remember correctly, we all have Cory to thank for that small victory with the Subway building placement.

Awe...shucks! I will say though, I was not the only one that had been in protest. BUT, I think my crying, kicking and screaming helped However, not enough to prevent a drive-thru.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:20 PM   #1531
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
Let's see...

Downtown:
30-story JW Marriott (Conv. Hotel Complex)
18-story Courtyard & Springhill Suites Tower (Conv. Hotel Complex)
28-story Le Meridian Hotel (Penn Centre)
17-story Aloft Hotel (Penn Centre)
21-story Apartment tower (MSA site)
17-story Apartment tower (MSA site)
10-story 3Mass Ave (condo)
14-story Paramount Towers (student housing)
8-story 707 East North Street (condo)
Lucas Oil Stadium (u/c)
Convention Center Expansion (will start once LOS is finished)
The Cosmopolitan (4-story aparment project on Canal)
The Waverly (3-story apartment project in Fletcher Place)

Not only are we adding height, but more importantly, we are adding quite a bit of bulk and mass!! With the exception of the JW and the CC Expansion, all of these projects are filling in surface lots! Further, these projects will continue to add more people mulling about the mile-square and further reinforce DT as Indiana's downtown. The surrounding neighborhood's continue to thrive and flourish, mass transit on the way, and all of these projects = one very healthy midwestern City!!!
Old July 2nd, 2007, 10:19 PM   #1532
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Well you see...

Quote:
Not only are we adding height, but more importantly, we are adding quite a bit of bulk and mass!! With the exception of the JW and the CC Expansion, all of these projects are filling in surface lots! Further, these projects will continue to add more people mulling about the mile-square and further reinforce DT as Indiana's downtown. The surrounding neighborhood's continue to thrive and flourish, mass transit on the way, and all of these projects = one very healthy midwestern City!!!
I was under the impression that the JWub (as i like to call it) was being built on the Courtyard's east surface lot... Like the one that is west of West Street... Please pardon my redundancy.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 10:22 PM   #1533
ragerunner1

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
The time has come for less pictures and more construction if Downtown Indy wants to take the next step. I hope all of these are under construction by the end of the year or by early spring.
ragerunner1 no está en línea  
Old July 2nd, 2007, 10:46 PM   #1534
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragerunner1 View Post
The time has come for less pictures and more construction if Downtown Indy wants to take the next step. I hope all of these are under construction by the end of the year or by early spring.
I agree. They have the surface lot fenced off and barricades in place for 3 Mass but nothings been started yet.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 11:01 PM   #1535
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Marian College

Not so much city development... But oh well:

Enrollment for the 2007-08 academic year is expected to reach an all-time high at Marian College. To accommodate this growth and the new football team—which begins its inaugural season on September 1, 2007—Marian College will break ground on an expanded residence hall and the new multi-purpose athletic facility on its 114-acre campus. The construction marks the first addition of living space for students at Marian College in 40 years.

Couldn't find any pictures online, but channel 8 had some shots on their coverage of the groundbreaking.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 11:01 PM   #1536
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

On very windy days the Indiana Square building can sway something like 2 feet in any direction. I heard from a reliable source that they are going to place two 5,000 gallon "bladders" or water tanks on the roof. There will be ballasts inside to help slow this sway. Similar to what tanker trucks use. The experts don't like how much the building moves.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 11:11 PM   #1537
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

There was a pretty skeptical article on the Tower House On Meridian project in today's star:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...NESS/707020318

Growth factor?
A $50 million makeover of former Grain Dealers building into a commercial hub could jump off the Near Northside's revival -- if the project ever gets off the ground

Largely vacant and lifeless, the former Grain Dealers Mutual Insurance building could be turned into a commercial hub teaming with people on Indianapolis' Near Northside.

A $50 million expansion is slated for the building at 18th and Meridian streets that would add a hotel, condominiums and restaurants.

But first, the developer must overcome two obstacles.

The biggest is that financing hasn't been secured for the project, which lenders could deem risky because it aims to locate a large hotel in an untested area outside the core of Downtown.

The developer also must complete negotiations with two nearby television stations to assure them the expanded Grain Dealers building won't block the stations' microwave signals.

The development team, called Inner-Urban Homes & Hospitality, is headed by veteran real estate developers and builders George R. Nichols and William K. Hatfield. The two worked together two decades ago building homes in the Indianapolis area. Nichols, in addition, had his hand in several high-profile developments, including building the Pyramids office complex on the Northwestside and the construction of thousands of apartments in the city by Oxford Development.

Real estate developer R.L. Young, who bought the Grain Dealers building 1 1/2 years ago, brought in Nichols to help redevelop it, Nichols said, sitting in the offices of his hired marketing firm, Daley Concepts.

Surrounded by paper renderings of the building, Nichols said he favors a mixed-use project because its multiple sources of revenue make it easier to finance.

The 160 condominium units in the building should provide upfront cash as they are sold, while the office and retail space would diversify the building's income, he said. Nichols also thinks the hotel will prove popular, given its nearness to Methodist Hospital and the fact that it would be the only upscale hotel between Downtown and the Northside.

"The big ticket is Methodist Hospital," which employs 9,000 people and sits within two blocks, he said.

Nichols foresees the building, which would be renamed the Tower House on Meridian, becoming one of the anchors along the Meridian Street commercial corridor running from 12th Street to Fall Creek.

The Grain Dealers building would expand from 80,000 square feet to more than 700,000 square feet. The eight floors of condos to be built above the existing structure would bring its height to 190 feet, just below the 200-foot height limit set by the Federal Aviation Administration to keep open the flight routes used by Methodist's Life Line helicopters.

The design had to be altered to prevent interference with TV microwave signals from WISH (Channel 8) at 1950 N. Meridian St. and WFYI's (Channel 20) antenna at its new headquarters at Meridian and 16th streets -- two blocks south of the Grain Dealers building.

A corner of the building's design was shaved off, and a relay station will be placed on an upper-floor terrace to bend Channel 8's beam around the building.

To keep from blocking Channel 20's beam, the back of the building had to be angled and the developer may have to pay as much as $100,000 to compensate that station for the higher costs of locating its 150-foot-tall antenna further west near its new studios in the former Indiana Gas headquarters at 16th and Meridian streets.

The Near North Development Corp. is mediating negotiations between Inner-Urban and the TV stations.

"Meridian is a media corridor that's an important business cluster for Downtown Indianapolis. So we don't want to get in the way of their business," said Chris Barnette, economic development coordinator for Near North, of the TV stations.

Nichols said Inner-Urban has approached 28 banks and other lenders about financing the project and plans to complete the building in spring 2009 if financing is lined up soon.

Of course, as many of you can imagine, the Star Forum for this article was completely and utterly negative about the project for no real reasons.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old July 2nd, 2007, 11:24 PM   #1538
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

^That Pisses Me Off^

The IndyStar should be SUPPORTING this! Damn. Why dont they bash Fishers for their retarded growth? Do you think us forumers can send our support to them? The developers that is!
Old July 2nd, 2007, 11:40 PM   #1539
Paintrain

almost everyone who reads the indystar bashes every good thing that happens to indy on there forums
Paintrain no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2007, 01:40 AM   #1540
CorrND
Moderator Chris

One detail I find strange about South Meridian Place is that they have the east-west section hug the RR tracks rather than South St. Obviously, as billionbucks pointed out, following the tracks gives them the opportunity to integrate an interesting curve, but wouldn't they prefer to get the residential/hotel units as far from the tracks as possible? I guess it probably doesn't make a difference at these distances...
CorrND no está en línea  

Closed Thread