daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 26th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #141
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
We are glad to have you. It can be lonely over at SSP for Indy folks
Actually I only come here to check out Moochie's avatar.

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2007, 09:03 PM   #142
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

OK...some transit news for all of you:

Today was our "Spring Retreat" for the IRTC members. We discussed various topics, but spen the second-half of the retreat discussing the Rapid Transit system. Here is some of the progress and items to keep your eyes on:

Routes: As you all know, there were 4 routes/alternatives for the northeast corridor. It looks as if we will be eliminating 2 of them next month and the good news is, the remaining two are the best options. Alternatives #2 and #4 are the most-favorable by the IRTC/MPO and both included utilizing the Nickel Plate Rail Line (Fair Train) and #4 also uses a good portion of Keystone Ave. I was heavily lobbying for the Keystone Corridor today as it is the one with most redevelopment/TOD potential. Since Glendale has imploded yet again, their new plan shows even more parking than they currently have. It makes perfect sense to have a large station with park and ride at 62nd and Keystone where Glendale and Broad Ripple can both be accessed. The area easily can support TOD and higher density.

Binford and Allisionville have all but been eliminated as options for the system. Neither could support TOD and are primarily residential with strong, opposing HOA's.

It looks like their is increasing momemtum for some sort of transit link/option from the new airport to downtown. What that will be, we don't know, but I am glad that they are considering this as high a priority as the NE Corridor. There may be a way to get users of teh airport to fund this segment through ticket taxes and fees. We'll see.

Technology: As I had mentioned in the past, some sort of fixed-guideway will be utilized for the NE Corridor with express bus immediately serving the other spokes. This fixed-guideway can come in the form of AGT, LRT, or BRT options.

They are considering several options for downtown with possible streetcars or a "People Mover" extension.

Starting this summer, IndyGo will begin an express-bus service from Fishers to downtown. They are looking at utilizing the shoulders along I-69 and Binford and then possibly a dedicated lane down Keystone or Fall Creek Pkwy. Also, expect HOV lanes with a widened I-69 and the completed Super70 project. Neither are definite, but InDOT is really looking at this now and I suspect that we will see them. I have always wondered why Indy didn't have these before now.

Pblic Meetings/Education: The City/MPO/IRTC must design a system that is competitive with regards to the FTA New Starts Money. Remember, Indianapolis is going up against other cities for the same money. Therefore, we may want a completely elevated system and in the long run that may make sense, but in order to get the federal $$, we can't design a Lexus when all we can afford is a Neon. The other cities in the running have to do the same thing.

Dallas is who we are studying closely. Both cities have similar development/planning patterns and an equal love for the car/auto. Expect a lot of their lessons and successes to be implemented here.

Right after Labor Day will be the final public hearing and the chosen technology will be made public then. The IRTC is working with HNTB to do the "Education" and promotional campaign. Expect to see the campaign start this summer which will include TV, radio, and print ads.

On Tuesday I had the chance to speak with the Mayor about this issue and I asked how he is prepared to sell this multi-billion dollar project when the City has a rising crime issue and faces serious budget pressure. He stated that taxes would have to be raised and that he took an expected beating for the stadium/convention center deal. He replied that a great city does all things well and that you just can't focus on one issue. If you do, you are constantly plugging holes and not being as proactive as you should be. He expect a lot of opposition, but ultimately, he believes in this issue.

That's all for now.
Old April 26th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #143
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

Thanks for the update, Cory. Any highway news by any chance?
Old April 26th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #144
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Quote:

On Tuesday I had the chance to speak with the Mayor about this issue and I asked how he is prepared to sell this multi-billion dollar project when the City has a rising crime issue and faces serious budget pressure. He stated that taxes would have to be raised and that he took an expected beating for the stadium/convention center deal. He replied that a great city does all things well and that you just can't focus on one issue. If you do, you are constantly plugging holes and not being as proactive as you should be. He expect a lot of opposition, but ultimately, he believes in this issue.

That's all for now.
That's pretty slick that you access to the mayor. Good Info.
Old April 26th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #145
hoosier

Likes (Received): 63

Your report Cory got me very excited about the future of public transportation in Indianapolis!!
hoosier no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #146
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 140

Thanks for the report, Cory. I'm glad to hear Peterson is behind this, but I have a feeling it will be a hard sell. Property taxes are going up, an unless he can pull the anti-Mitch and get the doughnut counties on board for this, I suspect opposition will be fierce. I completely agree that it is necessary and overdue, but the mayor's political capital seems just about spent. Let's hope I'm wrong.
cjfjapan no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:02 PM   #147
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 466

Apparently I guessed incorrectly about the Lilly extension, as it's going to spur off of the intersection of Virginia and New Jersey (not South and East):

This seems pretty stupid for two reasons: (a) they're going to have the trail cross South St. at two different points only a block apart and (b) there's no street light to control traffic at South and New Jersey.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2007, 12:19 AM   #148
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
Apparently I guessed incorrectly about the Lilly extension, as it's going to spur off of the intersection of Virginia and New Jersey (not South and East):

This seems pretty stupid for two reasons: (a) they're going to have the trail cross South St. at two different points only a block apart and (b) there's no street light to control traffic at South and New Jersey.

Wow, that does seem silly.. Personally I would end/start it in their courtyard at Delaware and McCarty and take it up Delaware on the east side (opposite the fieldhouse) and meet with Virginia at Maryland. Delaware St. is such a dead zone until up until washington street. It could use a pick-me-up.

I'm sure Lilly can do whatever they want and if this is what takes for their people to use it then fine.
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #149
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

I was just looking over the ICC schematics and noticed they've got a new pedestrian bridge crossing Maryland and connecting to the Government Center parking garage. This is the first step in connecting the JW complex to the ICC.

Purple rectangle = bridge / Red rectangle = new meeting rooms

While I'm looking at the ICC roof... The new addition's roof will be constructed of a thermoplastic PVC membrane stretched over structural framing. It has a quilted pattern and the potential to be quite elegant. Then again, it may be just as boring a what we see above!
ablerock no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2007, 02:31 AM   #150
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
I ate lunch there today to dig for info, and managed to actually talk to the owner.. Apparently he's just rebranding the place, and he assured me that the beer selection will remain the same. It'll now be a more "gourmet" burger type joint. It'll be non-smoking and a bit more family friendly. The TV's will remain the same. Most everything will remain the same except for the food menu. He told me the new name, but I can't remember it.
That sounds like an improvement to me. Thanks for digging up the info!
CorrND no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2007, 03:54 AM   #151
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
I was just looking over the ICC schematics and noticed they've got a new pedestrian bridge crossing Maryland and connecting to the Government Center parking garage. This is the first step in connecting the JW complex to the ICC.

Purple rectangle = bridge / Red rectangle = new meeting rooms

While I'm looking at the ICC roof... The new addition's roof will be constructed of a thermoplastic PVC membrane stretched over structural framing. It has a quilted pattern and the potential to be quite elegant. Then again, it may be just as boring a what we see above!
Will they also renevate parts of the garage so the walk from the Hotel to the CC is entirely indoors? (Seems like an obvious yes answer, but thought I'd ask anyway)

Last edited by billionbucks; April 27th, 2007 at 04:02 AM.
billionbucks no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2007, 04:20 AM   #152
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Likes (Received): 0

Uhm yea...

So i did some soul searchin, actually skyscraper searchin. HaHa so uh i came across this JW Marriott product in Bland Rapids... And i was thinking, if they can get something this grand why cant we get something like it or even better?? Here's the link to piss y'all off...
http://www.hotelmotel.com/hotelmotel....jsp?id=397107

(i am PRAYING the design for the new JW is MUCH better than before!)
Old April 27th, 2007, 05:17 AM   #153
SoBe

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:

Technology: As I had mentioned in the past, some sort of fixed-guideway will be utilized for the NE Corridor with express bus immediately serving the other spokes. This fixed-guideway can come in the form of AGT, LRT, or BRT options.

They are considering several options for downtown with possible streetcars or a "People Mover" extension.
cwilson,

Just out of curiosity, does the idea of a subway under downtown ever come up in discussions? Considering the CBD is just a mile square, a 1 mile segment underground shouldn't be inconceivable. I am the biggest supporter of mass transit and am going on 5 years without a car, but street level and elevated transit both have undesirable consequences (dividing neighborhoods, traffic, lines of sight, noise, etc.). The upfront expense of burying the downtown lines would certainly pay dividends for decades and future generations.
SoBe no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2007, 05:39 AM   #154
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

^An underground rail segment line or two in the core would actually be a good idea for conventions and things. Of course, it would be expensive as **** and I don't know if it would actually be feasible for a number of reasons (like the city's sewer network for example).

Last edited by NaptownBoy; April 27th, 2007 at 08:10 AM.
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #155
ablerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post
Will they also renevate parts of the garage so the walk from the Hotel to the CC is entirely indoors? (Seems like an obvious yes answer, but thought I'd ask anyway)
The schematics don't include the Government Center garage, but like you I'm assuming it's an obvious yes. Probably similar to way the ICC connects to the garage across Capitol and the Circle Center garage.
Old April 27th, 2007, 03:50 PM   #156
ablerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
...I like trolleys better than subways. They're fun to ride, they have a lot of charm and can enhance the urban landscape...
I would love a couple of trolleys downtown. I was just thinking a few days ago how nice it would be to have them going up and down Virginia and Mass Ave. Just nice quick circuits to the circle.

What other routes can people envision? I know there used to be one going up College.
Old April 27th, 2007, 03:50 PM   #157
cwilson758
Cory

You all are welcome about the transit update. I enjoy sharing it as most of my friends and family loose interest quickly with this stuff!

Never a discussion on subway. As Moochie highlighted and as I mentioned yesterday, there maybe "better" options, but the City is competing with many other cities for the same pot of money and our system has to be economically competitive. We may want a Lexus, but we can only afford a Neon!

I really hope there is streetcar/trolley's downtown. We have extremely wide ROW's downtown and the streets could support the reintroduction of a street car circulator. I mean, they are taking out lanes of traffic for the Cultural Trail!
Old April 27th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #158
cwilson758
Cory

Quote:
I would love a couple of trolleys downtown. I was just thinking a few days ago how nice it would be to have them going up and down Virginia and Mass Ave. Just nice quick circuits to the circle.

What other routes can people envision? I know there used to be one going up College.
Well, just speaking of downtown, I definitely see Ohio Street, Capitol Ave, South Street, and Penn or Delaware as the most possible options. There will be some difficulties though as the ArtsGarden, various Walkways, and even Circle Centre are above many streets.
Old April 27th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #159
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:

I know this wouldn't have much appeal right now, but I think a trolley route up Senate would be an excellent way to boost development. Have it run from the Capitol (pretty close to conventioneers) to 11th, or maybe all the way to 16th. That entire road is RIPE and it would be an additional touristy attraction for the canal. Hell, it could even be a considered a connector for Biocrossroads development in the area.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2007, 04:32 PM   #160
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

I see they opened a new Arby's on East Market next to the comic book store. BTW, has anyone tried the new hot dog store on South Penn? The menu looks yummy....
http://www.kingdaviddogs.com/

Closed Thread