daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old July 5th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #1581
Unionstation13
Registered User
 
Unionstation13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indianapolis/Lafayette
Posts: 3,439
Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
Interesting article in the Star this morning about relocating the cemetary near I-465 and I-69 in order to widen the road there. Cemetary relocations extremely rare in Indiana. The article also says construction will start in 2012.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...AL18/707050423
I strongly discourage this, cemeteries are peoples permanent resting places, and should never be disturbed(as conservative as it sounds)
Moving cemeteries will not only piss off people living near it, or people whos ancestors, or family members rest there, but it will also be called "inhuman" "imoral" etc, by people. Its not a good idea.
__________________
Peter- "Geesh, Meg is in there taking a nap under water!".
Unionstation13 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2007, 06:23 PM   #1582
arenn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,905
Likes (Received): 132

By the way, for anyone who thinks Chicago's transit system is all that, check out this article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...l=chi-news-hed

The CTA has long been one of the operationally most pathetic transit systems in the US.
__________________
My Urban Affairs Blog: http://www.urbanophile.com/
arenn no está en línea  
Old July 5th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #1583
CorrND
Moderator Chris
 
CorrND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,495
Likes (Received): 463

Waverley may boost the Near Downtown

By Barrett Newkirk

A site with a history closely tied to electricity could bring some new energy to Downtown's southeast quadrant.

The Waverley Commons at the corner of South East and Georgia streets will consist of three three-story buildings housing a mix of retail and residential space around a shared courtyard with fountain.

The location most recently held warehouse and office space for the electric company Ermco. Going back to the early 1900s, it was the address of manufacturing facilities for the Pope-Waverley automobile, one of the first electric cars.

Developers today are hoping the Waverley will complete the circuit between its neighboring corporate offices, development farther south and the rest of Downtown.

The location's draw for prospective residents is its proximity to major offices for Eli Lilly and Co., Anthem and Farm Bureau Insurance, said Mark Juleen of J.C. Hart Co., the Carmel development company overseeing the project and handling community leasing.

Residential sales won't take off until closer to the end of the year, but Juleen said employees of those three firms already have contacted him asking about available units.

"When we build a community like this, we're looking at young professionals," he said. "Maybe (it's) someone who's not looking to own a home; however, they want to have a nice place and live Downtown."

The 164 condominium units range from 600 square feet to 1,300 square feet and cost from $700,000 to $900,000. One- and two-bedrooms flats and townhomes are available, and some units will be left as rentals from $1,000 to $1,300 monthly.

Features at the Waverley are intended to create room in smaller spaces, Juleen said. Units feature 9-foot ceilings and walk-in closets, and some include balconies. A clubhouse, fitness center, swimming pool and wireless Internet hot spot also should attract some younger, active tenants.

Residents and workers in the neighborhood could soon see some useful retail shops on the ground floors of the Waverley's three buildings.

With South East Street already such a well-traveled corridor and more residential developments going up south of the Waverley, the location is ideally situated for new businesses, said Terry Sweeney, vice president of real estate development for Indianapolis Downtown Inc.

"It is there by three major corporate anchors," Sweeney said, "so there is a large number of employees who don't have any retail in the area."

No companies have officially agreed to open shop at the Waverley, but the site offers a rare combination of features attractive to retailers, according to Ryan Zickler of Zickler Associates, who is handling leasing.

"We have a courtyard for all three businesses to use for outdoor seating," he said, and there is ample parking, plus drive-though capabilities.

"We have been dealing with a variety of tenants," Zickler said. They include a national coffee chain, ice cream parlor and a dine-in or carryout pizza place.

Each prospect would be ideal for Waverley residents and the 10,000 people who work within walking distance of the site, he said.

"You take those 10,000 employees and the residents, plus employees, and you've got a fairly substantial trade area that is underserved."



Upscale living: Once finished, the Waverley Commons, 151 S. East St., will add 164 condo units ranging from $700,000 to $900,000 to Downtown's housing stock.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...NESS/707050404

--------------------------

This article seems a little fishy. First of all, I thought this whole place was supposed to be an apartment complex. Second of all, the areas of the units are listed as 600 to 1300 sq.ft. yet the price is $700k to $900k? That makes no sense. My guess is that this is still largely an apartment project and there are only a handful of units that will be for sale -- likely large, top-floor units that could actually be sold for this price.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old July 5th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #1584
benjaminooo
Unregistered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fountain Square, Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 627
Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
B
"We have been dealing with a variety of tenants," Zickler said. They include a national coffee chain, ice cream parlor and a dine-in or carryout pizza place.

Each prospect would be ideal for Waverley residents and the 10,000 people who work within walking distance of the site, he said.

"You take those 10,000 employees and the residents, plus employees, and you've got a fairly substantial trade area that is underserved."
This would be an obvious spot for a starbucks.. I was thinking if not there one would end up at the ground level of the Villagio.. I wouldn't be surprised if they both get one.
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old July 5th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #1585
cityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 551
Likes (Received): 1

That is weird. It must be incorrect, because the whole project is supposed to be appartments.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old July 5th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #1586
cityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 551
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBob View Post
People need to question these construction costs, especially in public meetings. There are no good numbers for AGT, because there are NO transit systems in the world that are based solely on AGT. AGT are used primarily for short point-to-point connections, like the Clarian People Mover. The per mile cost of the Las Vegas AGT on the strip was approximately $100 million per mile.

It's good that a "few" legislators see mass transit as important. But given the legislature's proven track record of incompetence, I don't see anything happening. As usual, it will be the rural hay seeds voting this down because "ain't gonna hep me none". The immediate problem is in the metro area. People on the south side of Indy won't support a northeast line because it won't benefit them. Ahhh, Indiana, the capital of parochialism.

If the State wanted to make a real economic development statement, it would construct high-speed rail lines from Indianapolis International Airport to our water ports. These line could move both passengers and freight. Additionally, spurs could be run to other population centers. Imagine connecting IU, Purdue, Ball State, ISU/Rose Hulman, and Notre Dame to Indianapolis, thus providing easy access to a wide variety of graduate programs. And the State already has the mechanism in the Indiana Ports Authority, which is allowed to issue bonds for projects anywhere in the state.
This would take real big picture vision - and we would be asking the same legislature who didn't think property tax reform was important this year.
BART, which serves almost all of the San Francisco Bay Area is AGT and it has been a tremendous success.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old July 5th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #1587
cityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 551
Likes (Received): 1

New canal restaurant to open by end of July

The debut of Buggs Temple restaurant on the Downtown Canal is slated for later this month. Operating partner Chuck Mack said he hopes to hold a preopening July 28-30 to test the three kitchens and train staff.


Converted from a church, Buggs Temple sits at the north end of the canal near new executive offices being built for Clarian Health Partners.


-- Star report

Office vacancy rates likely to rise in suburbs

Indianapolis' suburban office vacancy rate will rise during the last half of this year, while the Downtown vacancy rate should stay where it is, Meridian Real Estate predicts in its second-quarter real estate report.

The vacancy rate for suburban office space was 18.5 percent in the second quarter, with the Downtown rate at 14.6 percent, Meridian said. Demand for suburban space lags the supply of new offices being built, it said.


-- Star report

Coffeehouse opens in Fountain Square

Cognizant Coffee Co. has opened at 1112 E. Prospect St. in Fountain Square. Owners are David Jablonski and Anna Waggoner.

-- Star report
cityfan no está en línea  
Old July 5th, 2007, 10:06 PM   #1588
CorrND
Moderator Chris
 
CorrND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,495
Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan View Post
New canal restaurant to open by end of July

The debut of Buggs Temple restaurant on the Downtown Canal is slated for later this month. Operating partner Chuck Mack said he hopes to hold a preopening July 28-30 to test the three kitchens and train staff.
This is the first time I've ever seen a specific date, but as always, I'll believe it when I see it. At the beginning of April they were saying "end of May, beginning of June." These people don't have a clue when it comes to managing expectations.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old July 5th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #1589
benjaminooo
Unregistered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fountain Square, Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 627
Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
This is the first time I've ever seen a specific date, but as always, I'll believe it when I see it. At the beginning of April they were saying "end of May, beginning of June." These people don't have a clue when it comes to managing expectations.
I walked by a couple days again and it seemed like a lot was going on. Lots of contractors trucks out front.. The place looks finished from the outside, but I would imagine they are just finishing up the inside.. I did notice some people sitting on the balcony.. I wasn't sure if one of the places is actually open yet.
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2007, 12:05 AM   #1590
ablerock
Registered User
 
ablerock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fountain Square - Naptown
Posts: 1,900
Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
This article seems a little fishy. First of all, I thought this whole place was supposed to be an apartment complex. Second of all, the areas of the units are listed as 600 to 1300 sq.ft. yet the price is $700k to $900k? That makes no sense. My guess is that this is still largely an apartment project and there are only a handful of units that will be for sale -- likely large, top-floor units that could actually be sold for this price.
Good eye, I agree. The author must be getting different projects confused. Or just likes to add zeros to figures. The Waverly's site and Indianapolis Downtown Inc. both say 164 apartments for lease in the $700-1,400 range.
ablerock no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2007, 01:37 AM   #1591
ablerock
Registered User
 
ablerock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fountain Square - Naptown
Posts: 1,900
Likes (Received): 29

2 small condo projects I wasn't aware of:

Chapel Townhomes at 701 N. Pennsylvania (ugliest website I've seen in a while)

The Shelton
at 825 N. Delaware (indydt.com has a link, but it's broken. Does anyone have any info about this?)

Also:

429 On the Park has a website.

The Uptown is a seldom discussed development by Carreau Design and Axis Architects. It is on the south side of Broad Ripple. It's somewhat controversial in the neighborhood because a few (blighted) houses would be torn down. It's just south of the intersections with Red Key, Yats, Jazz Kitchen, North Side News, Luna Music, and all the other restaurants/shops.
ablerock no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2007, 01:42 AM   #1592
cityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 551
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
2 small condo projects I wasn't aware of:

Chapel Townhomes at 701 N. Pennsylvania (ugliest website I've seen in a while)

The Shelton
at 825 N. Delaware (indydt.com has a link, but it's broken. Does anyone have any info about this?)

Also:

429 On the Park has a website.

The Uptown is a seldom discussed development by Carreau Design and Axis Architects. It is on the south side of Broad Ripple. It's somewhat controversial in the neighborhood because a few (blighted) houses would be torn down. It's just south of the intersections with Red Key, Yats, Jazz Kitchen, North Side News, Luna Music, and all the other restaurants/shops.
I really like those residences at 429. They have a beautiful view that will never be obstructed in the future.

You're right. That Chapel Townhomes site is absolute shit. Not the best way to garner interest in something that people can't see for themselves yet.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2007, 04:02 AM   #1593
Unionstation13
Registered User
 
Unionstation13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indianapolis/Lafayette
Posts: 3,439
Likes (Received): 37

I really hate whats being done with that chapel.
I would much rather see it turned into a large restruant instead of them destroying the beautiful sanctuary.
__________________
Peter- "Geesh, Meg is in there taking a nap under water!".
Unionstation13 no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2007, 04:42 AM   #1594
hoosier
Registered User
 
hoosier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,436
Likes (Received): 53

So will we be checking out the Waverley site on the 7th?

Lots of small scale residential development in the DT area. I want some 10+ story towers though!!
hoosier no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2007, 04:52 AM   #1595
hoosier
Registered User
 
hoosier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,436
Likes (Received): 53

I went for a long drive around metro Indy on the 4th and I have to say that the skline looks absolutely STUNNING coming in from the west on I-70.

Going north on I-65 after the split the DT is more beautiful and stunning than I could have ever imagined. My entire perception of Indy changed after that drive.

BTW, SR 267 is in horrible condition. No excuses for a glorified cowpath to be the only way to get from Brownsburgh to Plainfield.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2007, 05:21 AM   #1596
IndyBob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 227
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
IndyBob, there are examples of real AGT systems. The 14 line in the Paris metro is AGT. I believe that the Singapore system is as well.
I understand there are examples of single AGT lines. My statement was that there are no systems based SOLELY on AGT or any comprehensive system based on AGT, which is what seems to be the technology being pushed for an Indy system.

Paris Métro Line 14 is automated, but I'm not sure it is Automated Guide Technology. I believe it runs on the same standard gauge track as the rest the the Paris Métro.

Bukit Panjang Light Rapid Transit in Singapore is AGT.
IndyBob no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2007, 05:29 AM   #1597
IndyBob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 227
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan View Post
BART, which serves almost all of the San Francisco Bay Area is AGT and it has been a tremendous success.
BART may be automated, but it is heavy-rail. Steel wheels on steel rail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_Area_Rapid_Transit

AGT (Automated Guide Technology) examples are the Clarian People Mover, Las Vegas Monorail, Seattle Monorail, Disney, airports, etc. Overwhelmingly very short, point-to-point connections.
IndyBob no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2007, 05:37 AM   #1598
KM1410
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Broad Ripple, Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 994
Likes (Received): 9

Canal development faces resistance

Neighbors are against a plan to develop a one-acre section along the downtown canal. The strip of land between Ohio and New York Streets is the last undeveloped parcel there.

Clarke Kahlo, from the Indiana Alliance for Democracy, spent his July 4th at the Canal Family Fest trying to spark interest in saving Canal Park.

Kahlo opposes plans to develop this one-acre grassy slope across from the Indiana History Center, the site of summer concerts.

"We would want to question any development that goes in there because we believe the best use of the property is open and green space," Kahlo said.

The land is owned jointly by the city and the state, but the state owns most of it. The city owns the first six feet.

So, at the city's urging, the state is accepting bids. Three developers are proposing everything from condos and retail to restaurants and hotels. One plan spans both sides.

"We think it will draw convention folks that are coming and visiting and other people from Indiana visiting, walking along which was the intended purpose of the canal," said Ryan Kitchell, Indiana Office of Management & Budget.

Downtown Inc.'s Terry Sweeney is also a big advocate for developing the site. He says one of the things he hears most from canal users is the desire for shops and restaurants.

Some may wonder about the value of losing the green space, but they shouldn't worry according to Sweeney. "We have over 200 acres of green space in the downtown."

While Kahlo received a few brush offs during his campaign, he says most people seemed willing to listen, if not supportive.

"I think it's kind of a travesty, we've been coming here for years," said one Canal Family Fest visitor.

Kahlo says his biggest issue is making sure public input will get to be part of any decision. "It's public land, there ought to be a public hearing, at least one before they do that," he said.

Kitchell says the public will have a chance to weigh in, but first the state needs to see the final proposals, due August 1st.

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=6751281
KM1410 no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2007, 05:39 AM   #1599
KM1410
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Broad Ripple, Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 994
Likes (Received): 9

Fall Creek homeowners face property tax dilemma

It's a taxing time for homeowners as they are slapped with big tax bills and some difficult choices. The problem is growing into a crisis for many people in Marion County.

The city encouraged people to move from the suburbs to Fall Creek Place, a neighborhood close to downtown. But property taxes may force a lot of people out.

Fall Creek Place is regarded as the crown jewel of the cities revitalization efforts. Ten years ago the number of homicides in the neighborhood earned it the nickname of Dodge City. There is still some boarded-up evidence of those times but the transition has been nothing short of tremendous.

"I can see from my backyard where I work. I can see where I was born at Methodist Hospital," said Steve Fountain, who loves living downtown. He made the move from Castleton and never looked back until this week. His property taxes went from $2,500 a year to $8,900 a year.

Fountain says he's thinking about selling. "I'm going to give it some hard thought. I don't know yet. It's a little too fresh. Hurts a little too much but it certainly is part of that equation now."

Kristy Hernandez was preparing for a wedding when the mailman brought her property tax bill. "My one installment was over $1,300 for this six months. Last year it was $1,500 total for the year," she said. Hernandez says she will stay for now.

There are 400 homes in Fall Creek Place. It is a real melting pot of racial and economic diversity. The city made some special concessions to make that happen which included not allowing low- to moderate-income residents to sell at market price for a certain period of time.

With the latest increase in property taxes comes a dilemma. If you can't pay your taxes and you can't sell your home, what do you do?

That is a problem Jason Preston as President of the Fall Creek Place Homeowners Association wants to help his neighbors address.

"That was to try and make housing accessible to a number of different folks so this is something that needs to be figured out. What can be done to help them," said Preston.

It is ironic bullets couldn't kill this neighborhood but property taxes might.

A Fall Creek Place homeowners association board meeting is planned for early next week. That is when the association expects to get a clear picture of how bad this situation really is.

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=6751772
KM1410 no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #1600
cityfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 551
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1410 View Post
Canal development faces resistance

Neighbors are against a plan to develop a one-acre section along the downtown canal. The strip of land between Ohio and New York Streets is the last undeveloped parcel there.

Clarke Kahlo, from the Indiana Alliance for Democracy, spent his July 4th at the Canal Family Fest trying to spark interest in saving Canal Park.

Kahlo opposes plans to develop this one-acre grassy slope across from the Indiana History Center, the site of summer concerts.

"We would want to question any development that goes in there because we believe the best use of the property is open and green space," Kahlo said.

The land is owned jointly by the city and the state, but the state owns most of it. The city owns the first six feet.

So, at the city's urging, the state is accepting bids. Three developers are proposing everything from condos and retail to restaurants and hotels. One plan spans both sides.

"We think it will draw convention folks that are coming and visiting and other people from Indiana visiting, walking along which was the intended purpose of the canal," said Ryan Kitchell, Indiana Office of Management & Budget.

Downtown Inc.'s Terry Sweeney is also a big advocate for developing the site. He says one of the things he hears most from canal users is the desire for shops and restaurants.

Some may wonder about the value of losing the green space, but they shouldn't worry according to Sweeney. "We have over 200 acres of green space in the downtown."

While Kahlo received a few brush offs during his campaign, he says most people seemed willing to listen, if not supportive.

"I think it's kind of a travesty, we've been coming here for years," said one Canal Family Fest visitor.

Kahlo says his biggest issue is making sure public input will get to be part of any decision. "It's public land, there ought to be a public hearing, at least one before they do that," he said.

Kitchell says the public will have a chance to weigh in, but first the state needs to see the final proposals, due August 1st.

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=6751281

******* NIMBYS. It's a shitty piece of sloping grass in front of a parking garage. It's not like a park with benches and fountains or even trees. Hardly a "travesty".
cityfan no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu