daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 7th, 2007, 11:32 PM   #1641
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Likewise thehoss257. I had a great time and learned so much from you all.

I am extremely encouraged about the future of DT Indy now that it seems that the JW Marriott, MSA (hopefully Kosene), and Penn Tower will all be built.

Too bad we couldn't check out LOS or IUPUI.

We should do a meetup again around this time next year and compare and contrast what has changed.
hoosier no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2007, 11:54 PM   #1642
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

For those of us that couldn't make it, anyone care to divulge what went on at the meetup?
cityfan no está en línea  
Old July 8th, 2007, 02:27 AM   #1643
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan View Post
For those of us that couldn't make it, anyone care to divulge what went on at the meetup?
The meetup consisted of myself, cwilson, arenn, ablerock, thehoss257, and k2h.

cwilson brought his lovely dog Elle.

We checked out the location of Penn Tower. Ablerock brought a rendering. He wasn't sure if that rendering was accurate, but it was very nice. The rendering showed a couple of setbacks with green roofs.

We next walked under the railroad tracks and checked out the lot at South and Pennsylvania where another residential midrise has been proposed.

We then walked west along South towards the Villagio and griped about the Anthem and StateFarm Bureau campuses. We checked out the Waverley and walked north along East towards the MSA site and by the abandoned structure serving as the homeless hangout. The stench of urine was quite strong.

We looked at some residential units along Ohio, I can't remember their name.
Afterwards we headed west on Ohio to Alabama and admired the progress of the Cultural Trail. That is going to do WONDERS for DT development. The Cultural Trail will be a big marketing tool for future residential projects.

Next we headed NE along Mass Ave and checked out the lot where 3 Mass Ave is going in. Not much to report unfortunately. Mass Ave is in a state of transition. It has come along way over the past decade but there is still a ways to go. There are a lot of prime lots yet to be developed.

We checked out 757 Mass Ave and the U/C 707 East North Street Condominiums. Cwilson said he thought the structure had been topped out.

We walked by Lockerbie Park but construction has been halted for about a month now with no signs of resuming.

We headed back DT and parted our ways after that.

My opinion is that there is a lot that is good about DT Indy but there are many areas for improvement. Once the MSA site gets developed, the whole east side of DT will take off IMO. The housing market needs to get out of its slump to see a real boom that will fill in all of the vacant lots around the CBD.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old July 8th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #1644
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

Hey, I enjoyed meeting everyone yesterday. We'll definitely have to do it again at some point.
Old July 9th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #1645
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

I had a great time on Saturday too! I enjoyed the walk and the opportunity meet everyone. I really believe that the Indy contingent is the biggest and best outside of Chicago!

I got a nice sunburn on my face and Ellie was pooped!
Old July 9th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #1646
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
I had a great time on Saturday too! I enjoyed the walk and the opportunity meet everyone. I really believe that the Indy contingent is the biggest and best outside of Chicago!

I got a nice sunburn on my face and Ellie was pooped!
whos ellie?
Old July 9th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #1647
cwilson758
Cory

my dog
Old July 9th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #1648
cwilson758
Cory

I just thought I would post this (from Emporis):

Indianapolis
91 completed
33 never built
14 demolished
6 proposed
3 under construction
2 approved
1 vision
Old July 9th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #1649
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
I got a nice sunburn on my face...
I know, right? I didn't realize how hot my forehead could get.

It was a pleasure meeting each of you. I was pleasantly surprised at how well we all got along. Great minds do think alike!

Hoosier... good memory and thanks for the description. :-)
ablerock no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2007, 05:12 PM   #1650
cwilson758
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
I know, right? I didn't realize how hot my forehead could get.

It was a pleasure meeting each of you. I was pleasantly surprised at how well we all got along. Great minds do think alike!

Hoosier... good memory and thanks for the description. :-)

Ablerock (I wanted to type your name)- Your face is hot, so of course, your forehead is too

Seriously, I too thought it was great that we all got along. My BF and friends were making fun of me saying that there was a "nerd meeting" on the Circle. I was telling them that we all talked the entire time and that hardly anyone could get a word in. I am sure that we were all excited to discuss this stuff with people that were actually listening and not just humoring us (like my family and friends do when I talk about developments).
Old July 9th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #1651
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Ablerock (I wanted to type your name)- Your face is hot, so of course, your forehead is too

Seriously, I too thought it was great that we all got along. My BF and friends were making fun of me saying that there was a "nerd meeting" on the Circle. I was telling them that we all talked the entire time and that hardly anyone could get a word in. I am sure that we were all excited to discuss this stuff with people that were actually listening and not just humoring us (like my family and friends do when I talk about developments).
Damn, it's too bad I was out of town this weekend. It sounds like you guys had a great time! And I completely agree that it would be nice to talk with people that really care about development. My wife is at least mildly interested but I know she humors me sometimes. When my older brother was in town a couple months ago I drove him around and had some anecdote to say about something on just about every block. He's kind of a development buff too but he finally stopped me and asked, "How the hell do you know all this shit?!"

It's good to have friendly connections on this forum!
CorrND no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2007, 06:11 PM   #1652
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

I wasent able to make it because my boss is a bitch. I had to work all day that day, and the 4 days after. =/
yah, I bet it is refreshing to talk to someone who actually is interesting in urban developments, architecture, etc, rather than someone who is just like "uhu, uhu, uhu, yah, uhu, uhu".
Old July 9th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #1653
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

M and I Bank has agreed to aqcuire First Indiana. Yet another name change to our skyline....

11:16 AM July 9, 2007

Wisconsin firm to buy First Indiana
By Erika D. Smith
[email protected]
July 9, 2007

Indianapolis-based First Indiana Corp., which has a Downtown office tower bearing its name, has agreed to be acquired by Wisconsin-based Marshall & Ilsley Corp. for about $529 million.
The deal, for $32 per share in cash, is expected to close in late 2007 or early 2008.
“Partnering with M&I will give our customers access to additional products and services, and will expand our offerings,” First Indiana’s CEO, Robert Warrington, told analysts during a conference call this morning.

Some of those new products could involve mortgages and private banking, which is basically financial services for the rich, M&I CEO Mark Furlong said.

Furlong also said he expects some “synergies” when it comes to the employment base at the two banks. He said he was impressed with First Indiana’s work force in Indianapolis, though.

“We believe the First Indiana management team has done an excellent job of attracting and retaining top talent,” Furlong said. “It is the best franchise in the dynamic Indianapolis market.”

First Indiana has 32 banking offices in Central Indiana. Those will become M&I Bank offices in the first quarter of 2008.

The lease on the First Indiana’s Downtown office tower expires next year.

In a statement, Warrington noted his bank’s long-standing relationship with M&I.

“The two organizations know each other well and this partnership is a natural evolution of our relationship together,” he said.

In 2005, First Indiana sold its $1 billion trust business to Marshall & Ilsley Corp. It also hired an M&I subsidiary to do its processing operations.

At the time, Chief Financial Officer William Brunner denied the bank was preparing for a sale.

“We think we have a good opportunity going forward as the largest locally based bank,” he told The Star.

Marshall & Ilsley, based in Milwaukee, Wis., has $56.5 billion in assets. First Indiana had $2.1 billion in assets as of March 31.

Just last week, Columbus, Ohio-based Huntington Bancshares finished the acquisition of Sky Financial Group for $3.3 billion. Sky bought Union Federal Bank last year. Huntington is now the nation's 24th-largest bank and third-largest in Indianapolis.
Old July 9th, 2007, 06:49 PM   #1654
cwilson758
Cory

this could offer yet another blow to the office vacancy rate downtown. I suspect that there will be job cuts and with that tower hovering at 60% occupied, it doesn't look good.

Damn, bank mergers and acquisitions have decimated the downtown office occupancy rate.
Old July 9th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #1655
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Quote:
this could offer yet another blow to the office vacancy rate downtown. I suspect that there will be job cuts and with that tower hovering at 60% occupied, it doesn't look good.

Damn, bank mergers and acquisitions have decimated the downtown office occupancy rate.
Agreed. When NBD and Bank One merged in '99 One Indiana Square lost workers from floors 6 thru 16. Plus the bank's legal department on the 25th floor. 8 years later this place is slowly but surely filling back up.
Old July 9th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #1656
Indywatch

Likes (Received): 0

Gresk Law Center

Has anyone heard whats going on at the new Gresk Law Firm building there at 10th and Delaware? There has been no work completed to it in several weeks. It's a nice building, modernistic for St. Joe area, but right now a half completed eye sore. Evidence suggests it's caught up in a mechanics lien or stop work order. I'm just curious if anyone knows the details.
Indywatch no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #1657
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

In case anybody's curious, we just passed the 1 year mark on Major Moves. The money itself has produced almost $186M to date:

http://www.in.gov/tos/p_majormoves.htm
CorrND no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:04 PM   #1658
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indywatch View Post
Has anyone heard whats going on at the new Gresk Law Firm building there at 10th and Delaware? There has been no work completed to it in several weeks. It's a nice building, modernistic for St. Joe area, but right now a half completed eye sore. Evidence suggests it's caught up in a mechanics lien or stop work order. I'm just curious if anyone knows the details.
Don't know myself. I do wish they would tear down the burnt out 3 story apartment behind it though. I lived there in the early 90's and it was a roach motel.
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #1659
k2h

Likes (Received): 16

It was great to meet everyone on Saturday. I really enjoyed the tour and good conversation.
k2h no está en línea  
Old July 10th, 2007, 03:56 AM   #1660
k2h

Likes (Received): 16

Indianapolis Photos - July 2007

For your viewing pleasure...

Click on "View as slideshow" in the upper right corner to scroll through the photos quicker.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/k2h/set...7600736022476/
k2h no está en línea  

Closed Thread