daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 12th, 2007, 07:08 PM   #1701
Paintrain

Likes (Received): 0

i was disapointed to i hope motogp can come in and fill that huge void. hopefully bernie will retire soon and someone new will come in and see they need a race in the US.
Paintrain no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #1702
indyfiend
INDYFIEND

Good Riddance USGP!

The city will miss the revenue and prestige of hosting such an international event, but I'm glad they're not bringing F1 back. They came in every year with an heir of superiority with zero respect for the history and tradition of Indianapolis. The tire debacle, which was entirely the fault of F1, tarnished the image of the speedway without as much as an apology from F1 to IMS. F1 fans are great and the racing is top notch. It's just too bad that they have a douche bag running things. Indianapolis Motor Speedway doesn't need Bernie's circus.

Last edited by indyfiend; July 13th, 2007 at 06:16 AM.
indyfiend no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #1703
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
It's interesting that that site is under construction. All pics of the early "Aloft Indianapolis", the 17 story building part of Penn Centre, are gone, as are the parking and retail center on Meridian. I'm guessing that this may be the first place Penn Centre renders are made public. I'm also guessing that the Meridian street parking garage/retail is undergoing a redesign too..
Have any idea when we should expect renderings of Penn Centre?
cityfan no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2007, 12:37 AM   #1704
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
It's interesting that that site is under construction. All pics of the early "Aloft Indianapolis", the 17 story building part of Penn Centre, are gone, as are the parking and retail center on Meridian. I'm guessing that this may be the first place Penn Centre renders are made public. I'm also guessing that the Meridian street parking garage/retail is undergoing a redesign too..
Which site are you referring to? Urban Space?
ablerock no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2007, 12:47 AM   #1705
IndyYeah

Quote:
What kind of construction? Like a real site started, also anything happening yet with that 3 Mass project since last weekend? Thanks
IndyYeah no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2007, 12:52 AM   #1706
IndyYeah

[QUOTE=IndyYeah;14238417]What kind of construction? Like a real site started, also anything happening yet with that 3 Mass project since last weekend? Thanks[/QUOT

I feel stupid, you mean the web site? Eek, I got somewhat going there thinking a shovel hit the dirt.
IndyYeah no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2007, 04:47 AM   #1707
altfelix

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Oh shit.. Is Le Meridien a hotel chain? Am I not supposed to be talking about this?

Sorry to be so vague.. I really don't know much about it.
Le Meridien is a chain, owned by Starwood (also owners of Westin, Sheraton, W, and Aloft). I'm a bit surprised that Le Meridien is being proposed. The chain isn't well known in the US, with few locations. The Minneapolis Le Meridien was opened in 2003 and as soon as the hotel owner got the chance, he dropped the Le Meridien brand b/c the name and reservations network didn't make up for the cost of the franchising agreement.

The Le Meridien is proposed for the 28 story tower section on the north end of the site, per the IBJ article from a couple weeks ago.
altfelix no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2007, 05:08 AM   #1708
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
I really should post before thinking.. or is that think before posting? I just don't know anymore..
You're cool dude. Your curve balls keep us all sharp and on point in the high-stakes world of Indianapolis development rumors. :-)
ablerock no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2007, 07:34 AM   #1709
jobecob

Likes (Received): 43

Le Meridien is well known in Europe and Asia I think
jobecob no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2007, 10:15 AM   #1710
Chicagoland312

Does anyone know about public transportation/light rail in central Indiana?
Chicagoland312 no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2007, 10:17 AM   #1711
cityfan

Plan for Midtown project wins preliminary endorsement
Thu. July 12 - 2007

IBJ Staff

A hearing examiner for the Metropolitan Development Commission today recommended approval of zoning changes requested by developers of Tower House on Meridian.

The recommendation reflects agreements with nearby broadcasters WISH-TV and WFYI addressing the proximity of their satellite towers to the project.

The proposal, from locally based Inner-Urban Homes & Hospitality, incorporates the existing Grain Dealers Mutual Insurance building along Meridian Street and would add a 14-story tower including a six-floor, 130-room hotel and 160 condos, along with a 600-car parking garage along Illinois Street. The parking garage would feature 14,000 square feet of retail space along Illinois and 1,800 square feet of office space along 18th Street.

The project was designed by Greenwood-based MECA Design Group.

The next step for the project is a full MDC hearing scheduled for Aug. 1.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2007, 10:19 AM   #1712
cityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland312 View Post
Does anyone know about public transportation/light rail in central Indiana?
Currently no rail transit exists in Central Indiana, but studies are underway and supposedly a route and transit technology are supposed to be selected by the fall. As to when service would actually start is still uncertain.

You can read studies and get more info at the Metropolitan Transportation Planning website: http://www.indympo.org/home.htm
cityfan no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #1713
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Moochie-

Are you referring to the vacant parcel on Meridian that backs up to Harness Factory?
Old July 13th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #1714
k2h

Likes (Received): 16

Mass Transit - Central Indiana

Public Input Sought onRegional Land Use and Transit Opportunities

Next week the Indianapolis Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO), the region's primary transportation planner, will continue its summer series of public outreach meetings concerning the benefits of, and opportunities for, transit-oriented development (TOD) in our area. TOD refers to land use principles that combine residential and site-appropriate commercial uses. Such mixed use, higher density communities enhance mobility options by assuring more potential riders ease-of-access to available transit. They also result in healthier, safer neighborhoods since many necessary services are within easy walking and biking distance. In addition these meetings, which will be held in Johnson and Hendricks Counties, will feature an update on the Alternative Analysis phase of the MPO's region-wide rapid transit study.

These forums are part of the 2007 public outreach efforts of two MPO projects: the Regional Land Use 'Smart Growth' Study and DIRECTIONS, The Rapid Transit Study To Improve Regional Mobility. Their purpose is to share current planning information and to gather informed public input including the suggestions, concerns and preferences of area residents. Among other things, the Regional Land Use 'Smart Growth' Study intends to build public consensus on the value of TOD and to identify policies that strengthen the transit supportiveness of land use in high traffic corridors throughout the region. DIRECTIONS, which began in 2003, is assessing the feasibility of a region-wide rapid transit system. It will conclude later this year with the potential selection of a locally preferred route and technology alternative for a starter system in the Northeast Corridor.

Land Use and Transit Public Forums
Doors and Exhibits open at 6:00 pm at both meetings
Presentations and Q & A: 6:30 - 8:00 pm

Wednesday, July 18
Greenwood Community Center
100 Surina Way
Greenwood, IN
Thursday, July 19
Avon Middle School Auditorium
7199 E. US Highway 36
Avon, IN

Please contact MPO Senior and Project Manager Amy Inman at [email protected].

Please let us know if you need any further information!

Catherine Kostyn
Transportation Planner
Indianapolis Metropolitan Planning Organization
317-327-5142
k2h no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #1715
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

I worry that the massive property tax hikes in Marion County will turn Indy into another Detroit. I would hate to see more vacant properties in the city.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #1716
cityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
I worry that the massive property tax hikes in Marion County will turn Indy into another Detroit. I would hate to see more vacant properties in the city.
Well I certainly don't think the outcome will be that extreme. It takes years and multiple problems for a city to become like Detroit. However, it might slow development down a bit, but hopefully not for long. Officials are taking note and hopefully some resolution can be reached soon.

Daniels appoints key tax aide
By Mary Beth Schneider

Gov. Mitch Daniels today named Cheryl Musgrave, president of the Vanderburgh County Commission and former Vanderburgh County assessor, to head the state's Department of Local Government Finance.

The agency, which reviews local government budgets and is supposed to ensure that property tax assessments are done properly, is at the epicenter of the debate now raging in Indiana over property tax bills that have soared in some places, including Marion County. Among Musgrave's first jobs will be to decide whether to order a new reassessment in Marion County, where initial data shows wide disparities between how residential and commercial properties are assessed.

At a news conference announcing Musgrave's appointment, Daniels also gave more details on what he might hope to accomplish if he decides to call a special session of the legislature.

Daniels said one possibility would be to revisit the tax rebate plan the legislature passed this year in order for more targeted relief aimed at those homeowners feeling the most pain, instead of every property taxpayer.

Daniels said he will decide on whether to call lawmakers back to work when two conditions are met: "Do we have an idea which is sound? Do we have a fighting chance to succeed?"

"I don't need certainty," he added. "I want to do everything we possibly can to tackle this problem."

So far, legislative leaders have not endorsed the idea of a special session, although support is growing among some lawmakers, particularly those who represent Marion County.

But one of the first jobs will be getting the proper data to determine the scope of the problem -- a job that will fall in large part to Musgrave. Daniels called her "tough as nails."

Musgrave, 49, said her job will be to see that the state's laws are enforced, and that property is assessed fairly. She replaces Melissa Henson, who resigned in June for personal reasons, unrelated to the current tax furor.

Mayor's plan offers $75M for tax 'crisis'
Peterson wants to borrow money from future tax revenues to provide short-term relief

By Brendan O'Shaughnessy

Mayor Bart Peterson on Thursday announced a plan to provide $75 million in immediate, short-term property tax relief for homeowners in a "crisis" in Marion County.

His plan to borrow money from future tax revenues would provide a homestead credit on the November bill for up to 50 percent of this year's tax increases.

For instance, a home in Center Township valued at $100,000 with a tax bill of $2,220 payable this year would save $343 on the fall bill. The taxes would increase by $601 instead of $944.

Peterson acknowledged that the plan would cost taxpayers more in the long run. The city estimates it could pay $75 million in interest costs alone over 20 years, but Peterson said this "unattractive option" is necessary to stem a major tax crisis.

The proposal would apply only to Marion County homeowners who have the homestead credit.

"The cost of borrowing doesn't compare to the hit people are getting right now,'' Peterson said, noting that other plans under discussion do not apply to 2007 bills. "People are getting killed (by the tax increase) and are in danger of losing their homes. It's easier to cope with over 20 years."

The average increase in property tax bills in Marion County was 34 percent, or $475, but spikes in some areas were more than 100 percent. Peterson also acknowledged that his plan would not help people who rent their homes because homestead credits do not apply to rental properties.

Most of the relief money ($45 million) would come from selling $85 million in bonds to pay off current debts for child welfare and juvenile incarceration. Peterson's plan would use the revenue from future income tax payments to pay $8.2 million per year in debt payments.

The rest -- about $30 million -- would come from borrowing against future income tax collections. This would cost $2 million a year to pay the debt.
Peterson, a Democrat, said his plan would need approval from the City-County Council but not the state legislature. Democrats control the council 15-14, and President Monroe Gray said he thinks the council could vote on Peterson's plan as soon as July 23.

Ruth Hayes, president of an association of Northside neighborhoods, said she appreciates the effort but worried about the long-term consequences.

"It's like paying off your credit card with another credit card," Hayes said.

The plan will receive a public hearing Monday at the same meeting as the mayor's plan for a 65-percent increase in the county option income tax -- which would pay for $90 million in public safety spending. It would cost a person making $50,000 in annual taxable income about $325 more a year in taxes.

Additional taxpayer relief will come from a state rebate that may not arrive until 2008. That relief will provide property owners an average $240 per property.

Next year, under Peterson's plan, additional tax credits would be provided, but half as much as this year. By 2009, tax bills could be back to where they are now or higher unless permanent relief is found. Peterson said that's why the state still needs to call a special session to provide long-term relief.

"This buys us some time," Peterson said. "I think it's the right thing to do because the desperation out there is almost incomprehensible."

Peterson also said it's clear that commercial and industrial property were not reassessed in the same way as residential property, shifting a large portion of the tax burden to homeowners. He said he supported a new property tax assessment in Marion County, which would have to be ordered by the state.
His proposal drew mixed reactions Thursday.

Many Democrats supported the idea, saying that the city has to do something now to stop people from moving out of the county or losing their homes as a result of the property tax increase.

Many Republicans and others said creating more than $10 million per year in new debt is a bad idea that shortchanges the future for a current problem.
Melyssa Donaghy, a Meridian-Kessler resident who organized a tax protest at the governor's residence that drew hundreds of people, said she found the mayor's idea "absolutely ludicrous."

"They need to cut the budget like corporations or families do," Donaghy said. "Instead, he wants to borrow money, which will take us further into the hole."

Ryan Kitchell, the director of the Indiana Office of Management and Budget, said the mayor's plan offers a good start. But he said Marion County should look for more ways to solve its problems.

Sen. Teresa S. Lubbers, R-Indianapolis, said she does not think Peterson's proposal is the best option for the city and said it would be better to raise the local option income tax.

"For every one-tenth of a percent, we raise $18 million. That would raise $180 million. That is dollar-for-dollar property tax relief,'' she said. Peterson, she said, could devote some to public safety and still raise $100 million for property tax relief.

"I certainly don't think that (borrowing) is the best answer. There are other options out there we could use, including no more spending right now.''

House Speaker B. Patrick Bauer, D-South Bend, added: "What the mayor said was very good. It's the kind of initiative that needs to be looked at'' at the local level for short-term relief.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #1717
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Indiana Square Progress

The Wilhelm crew is now at the 11th floor on the building's northside. They are putting together an elevator/scaffold lift. Also they are tearing out the planters and trees from the 5th floor terrace, (beautiful spot for wedding recptions BTW).

Also saw the parking meters were removed this week along New York Street adjacent to 3 Mass. Perhaps that will start soon?
Old July 13th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #1718
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

I found an interesting stat over at the IBRC today. If you look at their monthly INContext publication, they have an article on natural increase vs. migration in terms of explaning population growth in the state.

The nine-county Indianapolis region had net in-migration of about 61,000. However, the entire rest of the state combined experienced a net out-migration of nearly 10,000. The Indianapolis area is attracting new residents (possibly some from outstate) while the rest of the state is losing them and relies exclusively on natural increase for population growth.

http://www.incontext.indiana.edu/2007/july/5.html
Old July 13th, 2007, 11:24 PM   #1719
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

mobyhead -- just wanted to let you know even though your One Indiana Square posts don't garner a lot of responses, I think I speak for everyone when I say that we're very grateful to you for continuing to update us!

I also just went past the library on St. Clair and I have to say that the dark part of the new structure (facing south) looks bad ass in the bright sunlight. Not too keen on the silvery ends.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2007, 11:38 PM   #1720
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

[QUOTE=CorrND;14255124]mobyhead -- just wanted to let you know even though your One Indiana Square posts don't garner a lot of responses, I think I speak for everyone when I say that we're very grateful to you for continuing to update us!
QUOTE]

Thanks. They were jack hammering the fifth floor and the mailroom on the third floor was vibrating something awful. This building is getting yet another tenant this weekend. The Registry Staffing is moving in from One North Meridian (King Cole) this weekend. Only 8 vacant floors to go. <---not as lonely around here as in years past.

Closed Thread