daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 14th, 2007, 12:25 AM   #1721
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
mobyhead -- just wanted to let you know even though your One Indiana Square posts don't garner a lot of responses, I think I speak for everyone when I say that we're very grateful to you for continuing to update us!
Agreed. :-)
ablerock no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2007, 03:22 AM   #1722
IndyYeah

Likes (Received): 0

Isn't the 3rd Penn Tower building going to incorporate the old civil war era building? That 3rd one having the facade of it, and something about a parking garage and restaurant? Maybe I am overthinking this project from a couple weeks ago, I wish Indy's strategists would not overthink so many of these projects, but what do I know!
IndyYeah no está en línea  
Old July 14th, 2007, 03:30 AM   #1723
IndyYeah

[QUOTE=mobyhead;14255324]
Quote:
mobyhead -- just wanted to let you know even though your One Indiana Square posts don't garner a lot of responses, I think I speak for everyone when I say that we're very grateful to you for continuing to update us!
QUOTE]

Thanks. They were jack hammering the fifth floor and the mailroom on the third floor was vibrating something awful. This building is getting yet another tenant this weekend. The Registry Staffing is moving in from One North Meridian (King Cole) this weekend. Only 8 vacant floors to go. <---not as lonely around here as in years past.
I wonder, if the architects, engineers, and such took a cheap way with One Indiana? At 500 and some change feet, the 2 foot sway, the problem with the outer skin, glass... Maybe the excitement of that building some 37 years ago was not thought out as well as it should, wind and such...
Old July 14th, 2007, 06:10 AM   #1724
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
It's my understanding that the Omega Building facade will be incorporated into a 9 story section of the 28 story Le Meridien & Residences
The 9 story section seems to be designed to match the 9 story Hampton Inn. Should make the project seem less drastically different on that section of Maryland.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old July 14th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #1725
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
The 9 story section seems to be designed to match the 9 story Hampton Inn. Should make the project seem less drastically different on that section of Maryland.
You sound like you've seen renderings.
cityfan no está en línea  
Old July 14th, 2007, 08:35 PM   #1726
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan View Post
You sound like you've seen renderings.
No, no, just taking a guess. It seems very likely that they purposely made the Maryland St. frontage 9 stories to roughly match the height of the Hampton Inn/BadaBoomz building.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old July 14th, 2007, 11:20 PM   #1727
cityfan

Just a random thought...

I know Indy is often lamented for its abundance of chain restaurants and how there are few restaurants unique to Indy. However, eating Downtown today, I was thinking about how I personally would like to see an ESPN Zone or House of Blues Downtown.

What certain restaurant or store would you like to see downtown?
cityfan no está en línea  
Old July 14th, 2007, 11:30 PM   #1728
IndyYeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan View Post
Just a random thought...

I know Indy is often lamented for its abundance of chain restaurants and how there are few restaurants unique to Indy. However, eating Downtown today, I was thinking about how I personally would like to see an ESPN Zone or House of Blues Downtown.

What certain restaurant or store would you like to see downtown?
I would like to see the same, however a jazz themed place would be great! Locally owned places that have a desire to sell downtown, like the Latin American one that is going to open works for me. I think that owners need quality food and service, and the desire to sell their product downtown, and location helps. To eat and hear great music in the same place is something I enjoy in downtowns.
Old July 15th, 2007, 03:23 AM   #1729
Paintrain

espn zone makes sense there in indy a lot it seams like
Paintrain no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2007, 06:02 AM   #1730
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

I would like Indy to have a restruant of foods most popular in the city!
and meals that the germans and irish immigrants in Indianapolis would prepare, and popular dishes. That would be interesting.
Old July 16th, 2007, 12:32 AM   #1731
IndyYeah

The ESPN restaurant, I am not in tune with it. If it is sports related, like I am sure it is, Indy should have one. Hey, those pics of Indy last weekend are great!
Old July 16th, 2007, 01:07 AM   #1732
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

Quick OT question. I must confess I don't own a bicycle and I'd really rather not buy one. Is there anyplace along the Monon Trail that rents bikes by any chance?
Old July 16th, 2007, 01:52 AM   #1733
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
Quick OT question. I must confess I don't own a bicycle and I'd really rather not buy one. Is there anyplace along the Monon Trail that rents bikes by any chance?
There are definitely places in carmel that do, possibly broad ripple as well. I don't know any of the specifics, but there is a place in carmel across from bub's burgers I believe that rents. Bicycles rule.
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old July 16th, 2007, 04:22 AM   #1734
Unionstation13

what would be great for the hilton lot would be a brick or stone 10 story building, with a copper like roof to match the office furniture building.

I made a design while I was half asleep last night.
I was playing on paint ehehe.

by helena S. bitches.

and YES, I am aware that it is more nostalgic than disney land, thank you.

Last edited by Unionstation13; July 16th, 2007 at 04:36 AM.
Unionstation13 no está en línea  
Old July 16th, 2007, 05:31 AM   #1735
CorrND
Moderator Chris

You did that with MS Paint?! Nice work. I'd be happy with that design at that corner.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old July 16th, 2007, 06:14 AM   #1736
IndyBob

Very nice. I would be happy with that design in a number of places.

And to think the City hired an "expert" to help with the JWM design.
IndyBob no está en línea  
Old July 16th, 2007, 05:31 PM   #1737
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
espn zone makes sense there in indy a lot it seams like
I can't believe that Indy doesn't have an ESPN Zone. Now that the Colt's have finally made the City a Champion and with our new billion dollar stadium we will see one.
Old July 16th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #1738
Unionstation13

Quote:
You did that with MS Paint?! Nice work. I'd be happy with that design at that corner.
I love MS paint! The only problem, is it would have to have materials like the LOS, or it would look fake.
curse hilton!!!!
Old July 16th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #1739
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

My wife and I drove past a water main break yesterday at South Keystone and Carson. Incredible amounts of water pouring into the streets. There were cones and high water signs posted but no work being done. Then today I see the following in the IBJ. I knew the sewers were in bad shape but this is bad too.....

Based on the daily pleas not to water the lawn during this year’s dry spell, customer excess would appear to be one of the biggest problems for the city’s water utility.

But records show that Indianapolis Water is squandering plenty of the precious commodity without any help from green lawn fanatics—with 17 percent of the 51 billion gallons it treats and pumps from its plants never so much as moving a digit on customers’ water meters.

That 9 billion gallons—a staggering amount that not only would fill the 1,350-acre Eagle Creek Reservoir but also would send another 1 billion gallons thundering over its dam—never reaches customers and their lawn sprinklers.

Some of the unaccounted-for water is attributed to defective meters, unmetered amounts used to fight fires and for water-main flushing as part of repairs and routine maintenance.

But two of the biggest culprits, amounting to at least 1 billion gallons, are leaky water mains and service line breaks and “unknown/invisible water loss.”

Some might say it’s no big deal. After all, water eventually seeps back into the rivers from which it’s drawn and into the water table—and, hopefully, back into the utility’s wells and reservoirs.

But there’s an economic cost of unaccounted-for water that’s borne by water customers. And it’s a cost worth noting, given the recent 36-percent rate increase for industrial customers and 27-percent increase for residential users.

It costs about $1.6 million to treat 9 billion gallons of water with chemicals and pump it over 3,600 miles, according to the city’s Department of Waterworks estimates. But department spokeswoman Jo Lynn Garing concedes “it’s hard to put a price on that.”

The estimated amount is a proverbial drop in the bucket for a utility with over $100 million in operating revenue. What the number doesn’t include are capital costs needed to produce the water that is pumped but never shows up on customer bills.

Or, looked at another way, if a water utility wasn’t wasting almost 20 percent of its output, it might need just four treatment plants instead of five, said Thomas Rooney, president of Chesterfield, Mo.-based Insituform Technologies, one of the world’s largest repairers of sewer, water, oil and gas pipelines.

Efficient by comparison

Indianapolis’ unaccounted-for water rate is relatively low, at least compared with cities such as Miami, Philadelphia and London, where Rooney said the loss rate ranges from 25 to 50 percent.

“That’s far more than can ever be saved through conservation,” he said.

In Indianapolis’ case, the customer conservation strategy seems to be the preferred remedy to meet demand in peak periods— in addition to whatever can be done to eliminate leaks and to replace inaccurate meters.

As part of securing its recent rate hike from the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission, the city agreed to recommendations by the state Office of Utility Consumer Counselor to expand its efficiency and conservation programs.

That includes improved leak detection and monitoring and promoting more water-efficient fixtures and irrigation practices.

unaccounted-for water is one thing, but “it gets to a much bigger issue—water conservation and efficiency,” said OUCC spokesman Anthony Swinger.

The agency leans on water utilities to reduce their percentage of unaccountedfor water to not more than 15 percent; the ideal is 10 percent.

Though Indianapolis’ unaccounted-for water rate is still relatively good, at 17.4 percent, it’s up 40 percent since 2003, when the amount of waste was just 12.4 percent.

Era of bad pipes

One problem is a particularly troublesome generation of pipe installed in the 1940s and 1950s that’s starting to show its age, said Angie Dye, spokeswoman for Veolia Water, the private firm the city hired to manage the water utility.

Ironically, compared to some metal pipes dating to the late-1800s and early 1900s, the more contemporary pipes “have not stood up as well,” she said.

Indeed, an estimated 57 percent of leaks worldwide come from pipes installed by utilities between 1945 and 1965, said Rooney of Insituform Technologies.

The problem stems from a steel shortage right after World War II, coupled with a suburban housing boom that followed. The industry had to make do with pipes made from a combination of steel and concrete, asbestos or any number of newfangled plastic-like materials.

The phenomenon occurred not just in the United States but also in Soviet-block countries like Hungary and Bulgaria, as Rooney has discovered during dealings there. “It’s a global phenomenon,” he said.

That generation of pipe is lasting only about half as long as seemingly primitive cast-iron pipes. Increasingly, these newer pipes are leaking “like if you had a garden hose and each day you put another pinhole in it,” Rooney said.

“It’s the retirement of the baby boom pipes,” Rooney said. “Veolia and [other water operators] are on the edge of a very substantial problem.”

Perhaps. A study by McLean, Va.-based consulting firm Booz Allen Hamilton projects that about 60 percent of the $41 trillion in infrastructure spending worldwide by 2030 will go for water infrastructure needs—ahead of spending on electrical power, roads, railroads and other pillars of civilization.

Booz Allen said it’s not uncommon for some cities to have 1,000 water main breaks a year. It estimates that Detroit leaks 35 billion gallons of water a year, costing residents $23 million.

“Twenty-five to 35 percent of all water pumped through pipes in the U.S. never arrives,” Rooney said. “It’s a staggering amount of water.”

The city of Indianapolis, under its management contract with Veolia, seeks to reduce the amount of unaccounted-for water. But the 9.36 percent goal last year was a distant target—half of what the company achieved.

Veolia met 91 percent of its other goals last year to earn $8.15 million in incentive payments.

Garing said the city has been pleased with Veolia’s “pipe lab” program to reduce unaccounted-for water. When a water main breaks, Veolia employees analyze the pipe and surrounding soil conditions as a predictor to where future breaks may occur in the system.

That could be useful in planning future capital projects such as water main replacements.

As a result of its recent rate hike, the Department of Waterworks plans to invest about $230 million through 2009 on system improvements. Officials declined to speculate what that might mean in terms of reducing the leakage rate. •
Old July 16th, 2007, 07:32 PM   #1740
cityfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
This place in Carmel rents bikes: http://www.carmelcyclery.com/

I know there's a place on the Canal Downtown that rents bikes, but I don't think there's any place in Indy along the trail that has bike rentals (I'm surprised there isn't one in Broad Ripple).
cityfan no está en línea  

Closed Thread