daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 16th, 2007, 07:36 PM   #1741
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Regarding the article below, The Dean of Herron School of Art & Design has stated her vision (and most likely that of IUPUI) is to move the Sculpture Department from their current home on Indiana Ave to the site behind Herron's main building. That site now houses the (formerly RCA) tennis courts.

From July 14th, 2007 IBJ:

SPORTS: Tennis tourney healthy but needs a new home
by Bill Benner

A significant Indianapolis sporting event with international appeal is preparing to celebrate its 100th anniversary in 2011.

The Indianapolis 500? Well, yes, that too.

Far less-wellknown and recognized is that the origins of elite-level competitive tennis in Indianapolis also date back to just after the turn of the century … the last century, that is.

Records show that the Western Tennis Championships, which led to the U.S. Clay Court Championships, which led to the U.S. Hardcourt Tennis Championships, which led to the RCA and now Indianapolis Tennis Championships, were first contested in Indy in 1911.

It’s important to note the long history of tennis in Indianapolis as the sport contemplates its future in the city.

Beginning July 20 and continuing through July 29, the Indianapolis Tennis Championships will take place at the Indianapolis Tennis Center. While without RCA as a title sponsor for the first time in years, tournament organizers believe both the present and the future of the event are in good shape.

A strategy has been outlined that would align the championships with healthy lifestyle initiatives, broaden its presence within Indiana, bring a new title sponsor on board, continue national television coverage and, perhaps, find the tournament a new downtown home in a multipurpose facility that would accommodate tennis and other events.

All that is on the desk of tournament Director Kevin Martin. Of course, it’s the desk at his home. Martin is a volunteer, believed to be the only volunteer director of a major professional tennis tournament in America. This is his second year on the job, having taken over for Rob MacGill. But he’s served as a volunteer—one of 1,100 needed for the tournament—for the last 20 years. Martin’s day job is chief financial officer with Johnson Ventures.

Martin allays any concerns about the future of professional tennis in Indianapolis even though RCA surrendered its title sponsorship. For this year, Eli Lilly, among others, has increased its contribution and Martin is certain a new title sponsor will be on board for 2008.

That’s when the five-year strategy kicks in. Martin wants to tie the tournament to a promotion of healthy, active lifestyles in line with similar initiatives being promoted by the U.S. Tennis Association, the Association of Tennis Professionals, the American Heart Association and the governor’s INShape program.

He’s confident he can land a title sponsor with a similar mission.

That would be a good thing, indeed, especially for us old-timers who have followed tennis in Indy from the days of the Western at Woodstock to the Clay Courts at the Indianapolis Racquet Club, then the move downtown to the Indianapolis Sports/Tennis Center, followed by the eventual switch to hard courts.

Stan Malless, Indy’s Mr. Tennis, engineered the construction of the tennis facility. It opened in 1978 and its importance cannot be understated. Just look at what’s happened to that area since.

But, nearly 30 years later, the tennis center is showing its age and maintenance costs are becoming prohibitive, especially since the tennis championships operate as a notfor-profit. Word on the street has it that others—IUPUI owns the land—are eyeing that valuable piece of real estate for other uses.

“The university has a master plan for their land, which means the tennis facility may not be in that particular place,” Martin said.

He said discussions have been going on for 10 years regarding a new multipurpose facility in which the tennis championships would be one of several tenants. He could not discuss potential sites for that facility, other than to say somewhere downtown.

“There are different ideas and different locations being discussed, but I do believe we can get it done,” Martin said. “But the importance of a facility for tennis is only one piece of it.”

In the meantime, there’s a tournament this coming week that will require Martin’s immediate attention. Pre-event ticket sales are up and a solid field—led by Americans and past champions Andy Roddick, James Blake and Robby Ginepri—is assured.

In any case, it sure wouldn’t be summertime in Indy without the tournament.

“We think it’s a terrific community asset,” Martin said. “There are a large number of city and corporate leaders who value and support the event. We have a tremendous tennis community and one of the largest USTA regions in the country.”

The tournament also draws fans from 30 states. The national television exposure always is a plus. And the American tennis audience seems to have grown comfortable with the “U.S. Open Series”—that succession of events that leads to the U.S. Open in September.

So here’s hoping that when that 100th anniversary of tennis in Indy arrives in 2011, there’s really something to celebrate. •
ablerock no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:00 AM   #1742
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

KIB get official

http://www.kibi.org/building/index.htm

Check out our new digs! Keep Indianapolis Beautiful, Inc. is buying a building!!

Keep Indianapolis Beautiful, Inc. has been digging all around the city, and now its time to grow our own roots! We’ve purchased a building that will be spruced up into innovative office and warehouse space. Click now for a map and driving directions to 1029 Fletcher Avenue, Indianapolis, IN.

Our new location is where SEND (Southeast Neighborhood Development) has already invested in many community improvements. KIB is excited to part of the up and coming neighborhood in Fountain Square. Click now to see an aerial view of our planned new location. Expected move in date is 1st quarter 2008!

Relocating into a new building with all our facilities and operations in one place would meet the primary need of increasing efficiencies in delivering our services to the community; secondarily, it can be a civic example of sustainable design and redevelopment, and contribute to the vitality and aesthetics of one of the city’s great neighborhoods and cultural districts.

KIB anticipates being able to better serve its many constituents, including one million metropolitan residents, 30,000 volunteers and many other partners.

Purchasing and rehabbing the building at 1029 Fletcher will allow KIB to consolidate its resources, saving time and money. KIB staff estimates they wasted 350 hours driving between various sites in 2006.

KIB also plans to incorporate as many "green" elements into the design as possible, with LEED certification a goal. This is yet another way KIB will be able to exemplify its mission in this location.

The building will also be near the upcoming Cultural Trail. Having a green resource as a possible destination near the Trail is a very exciting prospect for KIB and for the city.

Interesting SEND PDF linked: http://www.kibi.org/building/Shelby_Street_Corridor.pdf
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:06 AM   #1743
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

That's great for Fountain Square!
cityfan no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2007, 03:54 AM   #1744
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Moochie, you are one bad ass mofo!!
hoosier no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2007, 03:55 AM   #1745
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

A new, multi-purpose facility that would house the RCA Championships would be wonderful for Indy.

The perfect location would be the site of old Bush Stadium near Indiana and 16th.

This facility could double as the basketball stadium for IUPUI.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2007, 07:04 AM   #1746
indyfiend
INDYFIEND

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
A new, multi-purpose facility that would house the RCA Championships would be wonderful for Indy.

The perfect location would be the site of old Bush Stadium near Indiana and 16th.

This facility could double as the basketball stadium for IUPUI.
This was talked about back in 2001. Here's a clip of the article from IBJ. I could've purchased the entire article for $2.95, but I'm a cheap bastard

Indianapolis Business Journal (IN) - March 12, 2001 - 1040 words
The land under the Indianapolis Tennis Center has emerged as the front-runner for a proposed 8 ,000- to 10 ,000-seat arena with a retractable roof for the Indianapolis Ice and IUPUI athletic events .

Ice officials said the facility also would be ideal for the RCA Championships professional tennis tournament each August and a bevy of other indoor and outdoor events .

Since it sounds like IUPUI is wanting to develope the Tennis Center land for their own use, then I agree that the old Bush Stadium would be great. It could kick off the revitalization of not only 16th St., but the riverfront as well.
indyfiend no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #1747
KM1410

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiexInxIndy View Post
Yes, i do love to see growth there by me as opposed to in Carmel and/or Fishers or w/e. Anywaaay, does anyone know this building they're building right next to the Marriott near Keystone @ The Crossing? It's like RIGHT on the highway! I was just curious, that's all...
I have noticed that as well. It looks to me like a two or three story building. Wasn't this where Duke was going to build a 14 story building?

Also, speaking of Keystone at the Crossing, two stores new to Indy will be opening this fall at the Fashion Mall, Tumi & Anthropologie.
KM1410 no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #1748
ablerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminooo View Post

http://www.kibi.org/building/index.htm

Check out our new digs! Keep Indianapolis Beautiful, Inc. is buying a building!!
Great news!

We talked about the possibility of this development a couple of months ago (along with the redevelopment of the Calvary Tabernacle site). I'm glad to see it's finally happening. :-)

There's also word KIB bought the small derelict white building around the corner on Shelby, which would be demolished for green space. Any word on that?

Anyway, welcome to the neighborhood! I live just a couple blocks away. I'm really excited about KIB being in Fountain Square.

A word of warning: Prepare yourself for the Dairy Queen across the street. She's a temptress. :-)
Old July 17th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #1749
Matt986

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
A word of warning: Prepare yourself for the Dairy Queen across the street. She's a temptress. :-)
Especially now that they accept Mastercard and Visa (love the hand-written sign!). How much DQ are people eating these days? I guess that's a sign of progress in the 'hood, that enough people actually have credit cards that it's worthwhile to accommodate them. On the other hand, that people are charging their soft-serve ice cream is probably not a good sign.
Matt986 no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #1750
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt986 View Post
Especially now that they accept Mastercard and Visa (love the hand-written sign!). How much DQ are people eating these days? I guess that's a sign of progress in the 'hood, that enough people actually have credit cards that it's worthwhile to accommodate them. On the other hand, that people are charging their soft-serve ice cream is probably not a good sign.
Anymore people don't carry cash. Safer to swipe the plastic. I work for a bank and see people using them to buy a candy bar at CVS.
Now if they can do something with the Calvary School after they move into their new digs next month.
Old July 17th, 2007, 09:03 PM   #1751
ablerock

Quote:
On the other hand, that people are charging their soft-serve ice cream is probably not a good sign.
A lot of people, including myself, use their Visa as a debit card.

And mobyhead is right ...other than the poor soul whose only friends are strippers, who uses cash anymore? :-)
Old July 17th, 2007, 09:28 PM   #1752
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Great news!

We talked about the possibility of this development a couple of months ago (along with the redevelopment of the Calvary Tabernacle site). I'm glad to see it's finally happening. :-)

There's also word KIB bought the small derelict white building around the corner on Shelby, which would be demolished for green space. Any word on that?

Anyway, welcome to the neighborhood! I live just a couple blocks away. I'm really excited about KIB being in Fountain Square.

That's the DQ I used to go to when I lived in Garfield Park & Downtown!
Old July 17th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #1753
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

oh...and I am card-only...as Ablerock can attest.

Bitch, you still owe me $2 for that over-priced Fiji water
Old July 17th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #1754
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Quote:
I definitely didn't go to the DQ as much as I did before they started taking cards. I just never had the cash. Now I'll have lunch every once and a while (Foot long hot dogs!), but I usually just get a pineapple milk shake. I loving have it so close and the fact that it's walk-up so I can take my dog. We also utilize the walk-up window at the Conseco starbucks. I would kill to have more walk-up window options, but I guess this isn't Los Angeles.
Old July 17th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #1755
DMD_Landscape
Live from Downtown Indy!

Likes (Received): 0

[QUOTE=ablerock;14311512]Great news!

[\QUOTE]

I've known about this for quite awhile now, but was afraid it would somehow fall through. They're still working to get a portion of the street next to them vacated to allow for their rain garden and tree storage area, but I think it will get through. This really makes me wonder how substatntial of a redevelopment piece the Calvary church site becomes. I would love to see this become a green development hot spot. If there were to be a redevelopment of the Calvary site with a LEED certified multi-story, mixed-use structure, it would be a fantastic shot in teh arm for the neighborhood. A guy can hope can't he?
DMD_Landscape no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #1756
ablerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
oh...and I am card-only...as Ablerock can attest.

Bitch, you still owe me $2 for that over-priced Fiji water
I'm a hustla baby!
Old July 18th, 2007, 12:21 AM   #1757
ablerock

Look what I found. :-) I'm pretty sure this hasn't been posted. Forgive me if it has.

A rendering of the mysterious Meridian Overlook:

Old July 18th, 2007, 12:29 AM   #1758
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

[QUOTE=DMD_Landscape;14316667]
Quote:
Great news!

[\QUOTE]

I've known about this for quite awhile now, but was afraid it would somehow fall through. They're still working to get a portion of the street next to them vacated to allow for their rain garden and tree storage area, but I think it will get through. This really makes me wonder how substatntial of a redevelopment piece the Calvary church site becomes. I would love to see this become a green development hot spot. If there were to be a redevelopment of the Calvary site with a LEED certified multi-story, mixed-use structure, it would be a fantastic shot in teh arm for the neighborhood. A guy can hope can't he?
There were some contractors/work trucks on location this morning!
Old July 18th, 2007, 01:58 AM   #1759
UrbanIndy

Likes (Received): 27

I like how they put "steakhouse" over the corner building...like it couldn't be something else? Actually, it makes me wonder if they've already filled that space.
Old July 18th, 2007, 04:09 AM   #1760
thehoss257

Likes (Received): 37

I would guess the steakhouse sign simply indicates that they think a restaurant should go on the corner.

I like the design, although it seems like the 4-story section should be on the corner.
thehoss257 no está en línea  

Closed Thread