daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 18th, 2007, 05:07 AM   #1761
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfiend View Post
This was talked about back in 2001. Here's a clip of the article from IBJ. I could've purchased the entire article for $2.95, but I'm a cheap bastard

Indianapolis Business Journal (IN) - March 12, 2001 - 1040 words
The land under the Indianapolis Tennis Center has emerged as the front-runner for a proposed 8 ,000- to 10 ,000-seat arena with a retractable roof for the Indianapolis Ice and IUPUI athletic events .

Ice officials said the facility also would be ideal for the RCA Championships professional tennis tournament each August and a bevy of other indoor and outdoor events .

Since it sounds like IUPUI is wanting to develope the Tennis Center land for their own use, then I agree that the old Bush Stadium would be great. It could kick off the revitalization of not only 16th St., but the riverfront as well.
Thanks for the info. It's a shame that project fell through.

The PeopleMover could be extended to a new arena if one is built at the site of Bush Stadium. One can dream can't they?
hoosier no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2007, 05:10 AM   #1762
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
Look what I found. :-) I'm pretty sure this hasn't been posted. Forgive me if it has.

A rendering of the mysterious Meridian Overlook:

This design feels very 80's to me. I grew up in Rochester, NY and this reminds me of the Rochester Institute of Technology campus. Needless to say -- actually, I probably DO need to say this -- this is not a flattering comparison.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2007, 05:21 AM   #1763
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

I hate the design, not cuz it aint old fashioned or anything, its bland.
It has no soul, no taste, they are just plain empty walls, bring some style into it, spruce up the way its layed out! different tones of glass! Art work!
It is just hidiouse in my opinion.
Old July 18th, 2007, 05:21 AM   #1764
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Thanks for the info. It's a shame that project fell through.

The PeopleMover could be extended to a new arena if one is built at the site of Bush Stadium. One can dream can't they?
I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to, but the people mover IS designed to be extended to a full loop up past 16th St. (I think to 18th St.) as a BioCrossroads connector. I posted a map a while ago that shows the theoretical route and I think it goes VERY close to Bush Stadium. I'll see if I can find that map.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2007, 05:31 AM   #1765
KM1410

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
I hate the design, not cuz it aint old fashioned or anything, its bland.
It has no soul, no taste, they are just plain empty walls, bring some style into it, spruce up the way its layed out! different tones of glass! Art work!
It is just hidiouse in my opinion.
I agree its pretty bland. But what can you expect when just about every other project has poor architecture. There is no drive to create something better, nothing to push builders to create something significant.
KM1410 no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2007, 05:37 AM   #1766
DMD_Landscape
Live from Downtown Indy!

Likes (Received): 0

[QUOTE=benjaminooo;14318202]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMD_Landscape View Post

There were some contractors/work trucks on location this morning!
Calvary or KIB?
DMD_Landscape no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2007, 05:59 AM   #1767
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM1410 View Post
I agree its pretty bland. But what can you expect when just about every other project has poor architecture. There is no drive to create something better, nothing to push builders to create something significant.

not even that, this isnt even just poor architecture, its just the bottom of the list shit, it reminds me of cheap housing projects they build in poor neigborhoods that last 6 years.
Old July 18th, 2007, 06:22 AM   #1768
thehoss257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
not even that, this isnt even just poor architecture, its just the bottom of the list shit, it reminds me of cheap housing projects they build in poor neigborhoods that last 6 years.
Union, I can't agree with you on this one. I think the design is tastfully modern and clean. My only qualm is the height. The corner of the building should have the 4 story massing. The blank walls are on the parking lot side of the building.
thehoss257 no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #1769
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

[QUOTE=DMD_Landscape;14322165]
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminooo View Post

Calvary or KIB?
KIB, sorry!
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2007, 08:18 AM   #1770
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Likes (Received): 0

Everyone is a critic - The design is fine, it's good, it's modern - A good filler instead of the current parking lot.
Old July 18th, 2007, 09:19 AM   #1771
eweezerinc
President of Catan

Likes (Received): 11

The design isn't aweful. Its a little un-inspired, but who cares? It'll look new and modern. My only beef would be with how terribly primitive the renderings are... I can put that together on paint in a few hours.
Old July 18th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #1772
CorrND
Moderator Chris

I'm one of the ones that usually finds something to like about just about every design that gets proposed around here, but after sleeping on it, I now say this development vaguely looks like art deco meets (mostly) 80's-style, severe, suburban, dark-brick-block design. I may not hate it, but it simply reminds me of nothing good.

I don't see where anybody gets "modern" from this design. Maybe my perspective is because I saw so much of this stuff in suburban Rochester where I grew up.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #1773
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
Man we sure eat a lot lot of dead cows downtown... Mmmm... dead cows...

Seriously, how many steakhouses do we need?
Saw a billboard this morning for a new steak house in town called Weber Grill. There's some more MOO for you MOOchie.
Old July 18th, 2007, 03:31 PM   #1774
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
Saw a billboard this morning for a new steak house in town called Weber Grill. There's some more MOO for you MOOchie.
Well....Weber Grill may make steaks, but it's really more of a fancy BBQ joint. Burgers, pulled pork, ribs...not exactly steakhouse fare.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #1775
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehoss257 View Post
Union, I can't agree with you on this one. I think the design is tastfully modern and clean. My only qualm is the height. The corner of the building should have the 4 story massing. The blank walls are on the parking lot side of the building.
I agree. The massing should be at the intersection as much as possible!
Old July 18th, 2007, 04:05 PM   #1776
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

I peaked inside of teh Webber Grill and it does look nice, just small. Very small. Also, they didn't use the entire Old Navy space and Simon looks to be adding ANOTHER restaurant in that space. They have redone the entrance to Claypool Court and it is an improvement.
Old July 18th, 2007, 04:08 PM   #1777
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
Well....Weber Grill may make steaks, but it's really more of a fancy BBQ joint. Burgers, pulled pork, ribs...not exactly steakhouse fare.
I did not know that. I NEVER eat out any more withy a 10 month old at home. Perhaps when he gets some more teeth.
Old July 18th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #1778
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehoss257 View Post
well, the same kind of clean modern architecture from the 70s,
its better than a parking lot, but I would rather see something in a modern style that screams "LOOK AT ME"
different tones of glass, odd shapes, colors, sculptures of emotion here and there, crooked rooms!
Old July 18th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #1779
UrbanIndy

Likes (Received): 27

Looks like work will start soon at 3 Mass Ave...a truck just dropped off a backhoe there. Let's get this moving!
Old July 18th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #1780
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanIndy View Post
Looks like work will start soon at 3 Mass Ave...a truck just dropped off a backhoe there. Let's get this moving!
No sh*t. I wish I could afford to live there. Looks comfy and it's a stone's throw from work. http://3mass.com/

Closed Thread