daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 27th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #161
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Trolleys would totally enhance downtown life, when your on subways you totally pass all the shops, landmarks, etc, and just see concrete walls. But, in trolleys, you can hop off if you see a shop or store you like, or something of interest. One on Mass ave, past the city market, around the circle, onto Washington, one down meridian, and another on Illinois, one that keeps going on Wabash and then makes its way across the river, and another on up to the childrens museum, with another to the LOS. Another one to the Walker theatre area, IUPUI, and one to Fountian square down virginia, would be awesome. I would defianitly use it, a lightrail for suburbians to come downtown, and a trolley for central city residence, would be awesome. It would totally enhance downtown life, spreading it to less lively areas. Not to mention, if there are trolleys going down the streets all the time, that will probably enhane the feeling of safety.

Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #162
Wu-Gambino

Likes (Received): 109

What about an L going through downtown? I can dream, right?

Imagine this on Washington Street:
Wu-Gambino no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #163
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
Trolleys would totally enhance downtown life, when your on subways you totally pass all the shops, landmarks, etc, and just see concrete walls. But, in trolleys, you can hop off if you see a shop or store you like, or something of interest. One on Mass ave, past the city market, around the circle, onto Washington, one down meridian, and another on Illinois, one that keeps going on Wabash and then makes its way across the river, and another on up to the childrens museum, with another to the LOS. Another one to the Walker theatre area, IUPUI, and one to Fountian square down virginia, would be awesome. I would defianitly use it, a lightrail for suburbians to come downtown, and a trolley for central city residence, would be awesome. It would totally enhance downtown life, spreading it to less lively areas. Not to mention, if there are trolleys going down the streets all the time, that will probably enhane the feeling of safety.

This is a wonderful idea, but I don't think a trolley around the circle would be very smart. If a trolley is running south on Penn and North on Illinois. West on Washington and east on Ohio that would be sufficient for people to get off and walk the block to the circle. Unless you're going to cut all car traffic from the circle and only allow trolley and foot/bike traffic.
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #164
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminooo View Post
This is a wonderful idea, but I don't think a trolley around the circle would be very smart. If a trolley is running south on Penn and North on Illinois. West on Washington and east on Ohio that would be sufficient for people to get off and walk the block to the circle. Unless you're going to cut all car traffic from the circle and only allow trolley and foot/bike traffic.
I think that would be very interesting, to have it only for bikes, trolleys, and walking, but that could take away some of its signifigance as a functional traffic circle. I think parking should be cut down on the circle a little more.
A little pedestrian market place on the circle would be very cool, because parking(and getting off the circle often) is a pain in the ass, not to mention crossing the street, if nothing is coming you have to run and take a chance.
I have almost been hit by cars crossing the circle about seven times.
Old April 27th, 2007, 11:35 PM   #165
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

dp

Last edited by hoosier; April 28th, 2007 at 01:54 AM.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2007, 11:36 PM   #166
hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
I think that would be very interesting, to have it only for bikes, trolleys, and walking, but that could take away some of its signifigance as a functional traffic circle. I think parking should be cut down on the circle a little more.
A little pedestrian market place on the circle would be very cool, because parking(and getting off the circle often) is a pain in the ass, not to mention crossing the street, if nothing is coming you have to run and take a chance.
I have almost been hit by cars crossing the circle about seven times.
I think eliminating autombiles on the circle would be a great idea. Meridian and Market are cobblestone around the circle and for one block in every direction. Monumnet Circle could be a great pedestrian plaza where restaurants could have more outdoor seating and public art could be displayed.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old April 28th, 2007, 12:12 AM   #167
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

That might work during the evenings or special events, but not during the day. It would create problems for people traveling north and south on Meridian.
NaptownBoy no está en línea  
Old April 28th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #168
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
I think eliminating autombiles on the circle would be a great idea. Meridian and Market are cobblestone around the circle and for one block in every direction. Monumnet Circle could be a great pedestrian plaza where restaurants could have more outdoor seating and public art could be displayed.
I've often wondered what public reaction would be to such a proposal, and whether it would work. One can envision all sorts of cafes and the like on it. Might be nice.

The Circle would make a great plaza, if they closed it off to automobiles, but I don't know if it would help or harm downtown life. As much as I hate it, driving around the circle on the weekends is an Indianapolis pastime.

In any case, it's usually a clusterf*ck of an automobile roundabout.
ablerock no está en línea  
Old April 28th, 2007, 01:58 AM   #169
hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
I've often wondered what public reaction would be to such a proposal, and whether it would work. One can envision all sorts of cafes and the like on it. Might be nice.

The Circle would make a great plaza, if they closed it off to automobiles, but I don't know if it would help or harm downtown life. As much as I hate it, driving around the circle on the weekends is an Indianapolis pastime.

In any case, it's usually a clusterf*ck of an automobile roundabout.
Well, it might inconvenience through traffic, but wouldn't most people wanting to go north south through Indy stay on US 31 (Pennsylvania and Delaware)? That highway doesn't use Meridian Street until north of downtown. Also, N/S traffic could use West Street. It is a full six lanes.

Monument Circle and DT Indianapolis should be the DESTINATION, not just a place to pass through. Plus we wouldn't have to worry about those horse drawn carriages getting hit by cars.

Imagine a Monument Circle, epicenter of the Cultural Trail, and filled with cafes and public art.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old April 28th, 2007, 04:02 AM   #170
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownBoy View Post
That might work during the evenings or special events, but not during the day. It would create problems for people traveling north and south on Meridian.
It would be great to have it closed on the weekends, and some summer weekday evenings. I don't think there is a reason to close it permanently, though. Create a schedule, so that people get used to not using it on Saturdays and Sundays, and it will become and even more lively, precious space.
cjfjapan no está en línea  
Old April 28th, 2007, 04:03 AM   #171
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
I've often thought that Monument Circle could be used like a totally open air 4th Street Live in Louisville with huge barricades that are lowered after business hours closing Meridian and Market streets to vehicle access.
Now that is one wicked idea! A massive market place stretching from the city market down market street to the circle would be sweet.
Old April 28th, 2007, 10:32 AM   #172
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

Pratically every fully pedestrianized street in the US has been viewed as a failure. The aforementioned 4th Street Live project is the remains of a 70's pedestrian mall that was viewed as a complete failure in Louisville. They took their formerly main shopping street and closed it to traffic, but it was a disaster. The project that installed 4th Street Live opened up quite a bit of the street back to traffic. The only reason that there is a section still closed is that the city had built a shopping mall called the Galleria right in the middle of the street that couldn't easily be demolished.

Similarly, Chicago turned State St. into a pedestrian mall and transitway in the 1970's - another total failure that had to be redone at great expense.

Closing the Circle to traffic, except on select occasions, is a really, really bad idea.
Old April 28th, 2007, 10:34 AM   #173
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Likes (Received): 0

they do close half of the circle at night... at least on weekends. they just bring out police and temporary barricades. I'm not sure why... just traffic I guess.

I'd rather see the circle stay open to traffic
Old April 28th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #174
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Indy Zoo plans gorilla exhibit

Indianapolis - The Indianapolis Zoo is pursuing its next big exhibit. Zoo President Mike Crowther says it plans to open a great ape exhibit in 2013 with Lowland Gorillas, Bonobos and chimpanzees, all endangered species.

"I am absolutely committed to making this the best zoo exhibit ever created in the world," Crowther said.

Crowther travelled to Rwanda with a dozen other zoo supporters in March to see the Mountain Gorillas. That's the species Dian Fossey made famous during her research beginning in the 1960s. Highly endangered, there are an estimated 720 worldwide.

Of the trip, Crowther said, "We wanted to observe what touches hearts and spurs people to action."

Crowther said his main motivation is "ensuring the sustainability of gorillas in the wild. If I can get you to fall in love with gorillas, I can get you to write a letter to your congressman, to write a check."

He added the zoo wouldn't be acquiring wild animals, but animals from other institutions.

Zoo Board member Mytra Pulliam was among the dozen people on the trip to Africa. Flipping through a photo album, she said, "You walk up and there you are, just feet from these guys. It's pretty amazing. It's really special."

The group saw the gorillas at a national park and research center. Pulliam said they were given one hour and could only bring their cameras. Nothing separated them from the gorillas, but she wasn't afraid.

"No, they just look at you," she said. "They're habituated. They know what people are. We're not threatening to them, so it's not an issue."

Pulliam returned from the trip committed to the cause.

"People love seeing them. There's a big attraction to them. I don't know if it's because they're like us or not," Pulliam said.

Crowther said the design team, which includes a Hollywood producer and one of the world's top primatologists, is four months into the four-year design phase.

"We're putting together a team of people doing something that's never been done before," he said. "[The exhibit] needs to be something that removes barriers, that places people in the moment and allows that moment to cause a change of heart."

Crowther said the new exhibit will have much more space than any other, including the elephant exhibit. He also said it will cost more than any other exhibit, but added without a design it's hard to estimate a cost.

Pulliam predicts the exhibit will be a huge hit. "It won't only draw people from here, but the exhibit will be unusual enough that it will draw from other cities, even where they have gorillas," she said.

http://wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=6...&nav=menu188_1
Old April 28th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #175
KM1410

Likes (Received): 9

Winning bidder plans mixed-use project
Plan for state-owned parcel would add new neighbors for Bourbon Street Distillery, Musicians’ Repair & Sales

The winning bidder for a prime piece of state-owned land on the west side of downtown hopes to break ground later this year on a residential and retail complex.

The project would replace a shabby parking lot on a triangle-shaped block that is now anchored by The Bourbon Street Distillery and Musicians’ Repair & Sales. The U-shaped, 0.75-acre property at 340 N. Capitol Ave. touches Indiana Avenue, Capitol Avenue and Vermont Street. The development likely would include condos above a bank and other retail shops.

Jim Thomas, a partner with locally based Hearthview Residential Inc., confirmed that he is personally a partner in the project, separate from Hearthview. He said his team agreed to pay roughly $920,000 for the land. Thomas declined to name his partners and said it was too early to reveal project details or a price.

The property appraised for slightly more than $900,000, said John M. Bales, president of Venture Real Estate Services, which has a contract to help the state dispose of surplus real estate. Bales said a preliminary site plan includes a bank with a drivethrough and about 30 condos.

“This is an area that people previously haven’t had much of a reason to stop in, unless they’re parking,” Bales said in an email.

The state had issued a request for proposals for the site last year, with submissions due in December. Elizabeth Barrett, a spokeswoman for the Indiana Department of Administration, said there were two bidders. Barrett would not identify them or release any information on the bids because, she said, a final agreement has not been reached.

A restaurant or service-type retail use such as a dry cleaner or a FedEx Kinko’s would work well on the site, particularly if it can serve residents living above and attract students from IUPUI, said Steve Delaney, a principal with locally based Sitehawk Retail Real Estate.

“All of a sudden, there’s a little bit of buzz around that area,” Delaney said.

Rick Oldham, owner of Musicians’ Repair, said he figured something was up when workers recently began marking utilities and taking core samples. His shop had neighbors when it opened on the block in 1984, but the state gradually bought other properties and tore down buildings.

Oldham said he’s curious how the site plan will incorporate what is an odd-shaped piece of property.

“I’m surprised they haven’t looked at acquiring other properties around to make it happen,” he said.

New residences nearby should help The Bourbon Street Distillery, said Owen “OB” Brant, who has owned the bar five years. Before that, it was known as Snazzy Jazz, and before that it was Distillery Saloon.

Brant’s main concern is that the multifloor project might block the skyline view from the second floor of his bar.

“Other than that, I don’t know if it’ll impact me much,” he said.

If the project moves forward, it would join a series of major mixed-use developments in the works for the western side of downtown. They include:

A Flaherty & Collins Properties plan to build a $33 million apartment and retail complex along Central Canal north of Michigan Street. The plans call for 218 apartments, a 340-space parking garage and 20,000 square feet of retail, mostly at the corner of Senate Avenue and Michigan.

A mixed-use project for a one-acre lot along the canal between Ohio and New York streets. The state and city own the land and are requiring that developers include retail. Four bidders have submitted proposals. Locally based Browning Investments Inc. and Dora Brothers Hospitality Corp. would include two hotels with more than 250 rooms. Flaherty is proposing a residential development for the site. The other bidders haven’t been disclosed.

A $9 million renovation of the fivestory Gibson Building at Capitol and Michigan by American United Life Insurance Co. for office and retail. The building was constructed in 1916.

KM1410 no está en línea  
Old April 28th, 2007, 05:37 PM   #176
hoosier

Good to hear about the development in the taht part of downtown. It is currently vacant and unsightly to have all those parking lots so close to the core.

Hopefully this project gets built and it spurs more development NW of the core along Indiana Avenue.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old April 28th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #177
Unionstation13

thats great news! I hope more development occurs along Indiana av.
It has the building blocks to construct a very attractive urban hood. I cant wait to see the design.
Old April 28th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #178
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
Pratically every fully pedestrianized street in the US has been viewed as a failure.
Burlington, VT has done a pedestrian mall right in my opinion. It's beautiful and always full of people. Granted it's not a big city or anything..

http://www.churchstmarketplace.com/
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old April 28th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #179
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Tough to really comment on that Indiana Ave development without hearing much in the way of details, but I'm glad it's going to include condos. However, they're planning another drive-through bank in downtown?! What's wrong with these people?
CorrND no está en línea  
Old April 28th, 2007, 07:31 PM   #180
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Airport's grand design

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...OCAL/704280513

Interesting article about the art that will be put up at the new Airport Terminal. Some look really cool, like the ceiling lights that follow the people as they walk. Check out the pictures and descriptions.

Closed Thread