daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 18th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #1781
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Indiana Square update

Yesterday there was a report of a fire at Indiana Square. The fire department responded. Nothing big and it was extinguished by the workers. Upon further inquiry this is not the first nor will it be the last time a welder's torch sparks a fire. I suppose this is typical with this type of work. They have a LONG way to go. I hate to see stuff catching on fire. Indiana Square has enough problems as it is.

Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2007, 09:53 PM   #1782
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

Steakhouse, Clothing, and Coffee are some of my favorite stores! I'm glad they're finally coming to the Indy market.

This project, with that other mid-rise proposed across the street, and with the Slippery Noodle will start to bring the S. Meridian st. action across the train tracks.

I went to Midland Properties site but they don't list any timeline for the project. Anyone know the status?

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't realize where this post would end up. I was refering to the Meridian Overlook project.

Indianapolis: Fastest growing metro (over 1,000,000) in the Midwest. Growth rate of 7.04% between 2000 and 2005.

http://www.census.gov/population/www...bsa-01-fmt.csv
cityfan no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #1783
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

What next for Old City Hall?

July 17, 2007
Posted by cschouten

The Department of Metropolitan Development is seeking two independent appraisals of Old City Hall, the historic building that has housed the State Museum and now houses the interim Central Library. In January 2008, the library is slated to vacate the stately building, shown here in a 1918 photo from the Indiana Historical Society. After the library leaves, the city likely will issue a request for proposals to determine the property’s future. Ideas?

Someone on the IBJ blog posted an idea about the IMA having an auxilliary museum there. I like that idea. I don't know if the IMA could really support it, especially after their massive expansion. But I would like to see another musueum downtown and it would be great for it to be unique, something unlike anything else in the Midwest.

Indianapolis: Fastest growing metro (over 1,000,000) in the Midwest. Growth rate of 7.04% between 2000 and 2005.

http://www.census.gov/population/www...bsa-01-fmt.csv
cityfan no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #1784
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan View Post

July 17, 2007
Posted by cschouten

The Department of Metropolitan Development is seeking two independent appraisals of Old City Hall, the historic building that has housed the State Museum and now houses the interim Central Library. In January 2008, the library is slated to vacate the stately building, shown here in a 1918 photo from the Indiana Historical Society. After the library leaves, the city likely will issue a request for proposals to determine the property’s future. Ideas?

Someone on the IBJ blog posted an idea about the IMA having an auxilliary museum there. I like that idea. I don't know if the IMA could really support it, especially after their massive expansion. But I would like to see another musueum downtown and it would be great for it to be unique, something unlike anything else in the Midwest.
I was just reading that blog as well. I like the one guy's idea of making it a retirement home for circus monkeys.
Old July 19th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #1785
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
That was me! It would probably never work, but I'm all about museums being in the heart of downtown. I love IMA's grounds, but it's just out of the way IMO.
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old July 19th, 2007, 01:23 AM   #1786
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Why not use it for...gasp...City Hall??? This would free up additional space at the CCB.
Old July 19th, 2007, 03:07 AM   #1787
IndyYeah

Likes (Received): 0

Meridian Overlook, when is this thing breaking ground? That thing has nothing of interest. It is close to having the soul of a Soviet era building! Maybe a bad reaction, but really when are the architects going to say"Let's try something really different!" The last different thoughts were Market Tower, and the numbered one to the north, the 28 story one, with the South Dakota granite. I remember Market Tower reading a blurb on a flight magazine that the Chicago architect said. He did not want to put a glass box in the city. No, it is not a marvel, but at least he and the main guys for the other building put some heart into these buildings! Thanks.
IndyYeah no está en línea  
Old July 19th, 2007, 03:12 AM   #1788
IndyYeah

Although the JW Marriott is not Taipai 101, but at least there was a going back to the boards on that one. At least Indy will not be stuck with that 20 story concrete square that would have been a reminder of the old Blue Cross, whatever it is now. Thanks, sorry I had to vent!
Old July 19th, 2007, 04:04 AM   #1789
IndyYeah

Moochie, When do you think that renders will be made available to the public?
Old July 19th, 2007, 04:28 AM   #1790
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to, but the people mover IS designed to be extended to a full loop up past 16th St. (I think to 18th St.) as a BioCrossroads connector. I posted a map a while ago that shows the theoretical route and I think it goes VERY close to Bush Stadium. I'll see if I can find that map.
I remember that map. I wasn't aware that there were actual plans to expand the PeopleMover. I thought it was just a pipe dream proposal.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old July 19th, 2007, 04:34 AM   #1791
hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
I just received official word that Penn Centre, approval and permits allowing, will close the property to the general public and break ground in mid October. This means only a 6 month or so delay from the original time frame.. Not bad for such a terribly complex project.

I know there are still a few "ifs" here, but this isn't a local team anymore.. There is a BIG name involved new, a name that like Conrad Hilton, or Trump, can cut through red tape and make things happen. I know that they have been working closely with the city to assure swift and easy approval. I'm not worried.

Moochie, you just made my day. This is GREAT news. This project is going to do wonders for DT indy and really extend the skyline to the south a great deal. Penn Centre and the JW Marriott are going add a lot of bulk to the CBD.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old July 19th, 2007, 04:36 AM   #1792
hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanIndy View Post
Looks like work will start soon at 3 Mass Ave...a truck just dropped off a backhoe there. Let's get this moving!
Even more good news. It sure does come in spurts doesn't it?
hoosier no está en línea  
Old July 19th, 2007, 05:00 AM   #1793
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
I remember that map. I wasn't aware that there were actual plans to expand the PeopleMover. I thought it was just a pipe dream proposal.
Just to be clear, as far as I know, it is a pipe dream. At the very least a long-term plan. Just thought I'd bring up the concept again.

I haven't been able to find my post or the map.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old July 19th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #1794
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Indiana Square remodel over here-----> http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=500482
Old July 19th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #1795
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Big plans afoot for Far-Northside tract
Mall-sized mixed-use project on 86th in the works

A developer of retail centers that include the open-air shopping mecca of Metropolis in Plainfield is thinking bigger. Much bigger.

Stay tuned: Woodfield Centre, which sits near 86th Street and Keystone, could play a role in plans for a mixed-use development that could span 2 million square feet of space. Premier Properties' CEO said it would offer project details soon. - Jeri Reichanadter / The Star

PREMIER PROPERTIES USA

• Business: Retail development.

• Headquarters: Indianapolis.

• Founded: 1993.

• Chief executive: Christopher P. White.

• Projects: Metropolis, Main Street Crossing, Plainfield Commons (all in Plainfield); Echelon (Indianapolis); and Bridgewater Falls (Hamilton, Ohio).

• Proposed: $1 billion in new projects in development. Includes Woodfield Crossing (Indianapolis), East Village (Las Vegas), Marquis (Williamsburg, Va.) and The Current (Orlando, Fla.)

Premier Properties USA has assembled about 50 acres at a choice Far-Northside site to build a project that could include a hotel, condominiums, offices and shops, at a cost of several hundred million dollars.
"It's a very substantial project," said Christopher White, chief executive of Premier.
The site sits at the southwest corner of East 86th Street and Keystone Avenue, across the intersection from the popular Keystone at the Crossing development that includes the upscale Fashion Mall.
Premier will reveal details of the project when it files for zoning or other site approvals in the next two months, White said Wednesday.
"We're in that final stage trying to put it together," he said. "It will not be whatever I say it is today. We're nowhere near a final design at this time."
What Premier has in mind is a development that could rival or top Castleton Square Mall in size, with close to 2 million square feet of space. Premier's project calls for more diverse uses, including condos or other residential space and an indoor theater for concerts, exhibits and other events.
"There really are no sites in Indianapolis that are comparable to this," said White. "The site really has unmatched characteristics," including easy access to Keystone Avenue, proximity to Keystone at the Crossing and high-income neighborhoods close by.
Premier is looking for operational and financial partners to carry out the project, he said. He wouldn't give their names. The prominent Los Angeles firm of Jerde Partnership has been hired to design the project.
Premier's Web site talks of a summer 2008 opening, but that's unlikely since a groundbreaking isn't even scheduled. Premier refers to the project as Woodfield Crossing. That name will change, White said.
Last month Premier bought two office buildings on the site from Duke Realty Corp. It's not been decided yet how those buildings will be incorporated into the project, White said.
He said a partially vacant retail center on the site, called Woodfield Centre, might be razed.
Premier has never done a project this large, although it has several other large mixed-use projects in the works in other states.
White said Premier decided it needed to expand its business beyond retail developments. Its most well-known local project is the 505,000-square-foot Metropolis shopping center, which opened in 2005 in Hendricks County.
"The future of most commercial development is emerging as, really, mixed use developments for efficiency reasons and synergy," White said.
Combining different uses in one project is convenient for shoppers and more cost-efficient to build and operate, he said. The different uses also feed business to each other, he said.
Sam Smith, president of Resource Commercial Real Estate, said Premier picked a "fabulous site" for its project. "When you look at what's the strongest location you could get for retail in the state, that might be it," he said.
As the city gets set to analyze Premier's zoning and other filings, traffic "will probably be a big issue," said Maury Plambeck, director of Indianapolis Department of Metropolitan Development.
Plambeck said city planners like to see developments such as Premier's that build on underutilized commercial property rather than taking over farmland or raw ground. "We look at it very favorably and like to have more of that," he said.
The site is across 86th Street from a proposed development by Paul Kite Cos. to develop a Whole Foods grocery and 31 townhomes on a wooded tract.
Neighbors fought that project, but it finally got the go-ahead from the city.
Premier will present its plan on Aug. 2 to Nora-Northside Community Council. Ruth Hayes, president of the community group, called the plan "pretty radical" but predicted it will meet with a favorable response.
"I believe the public probably supports the proposal because we are talking about reuse of land that is already zoned commercial." The project "avoids sprawl," she said.
Hayes said now Premier will have to convince area residents that it has a plan to deal with the increased street traffic its buildings would generate.
Old July 19th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #1796
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:

July 17, 2007
Posted by cschouten

I really have to agree with cwilson on this one, there is a lack of space at the CCB, so instead of spending millions on an addition, why not move the offices to the old city hall, and build a modern structure with limestone accenting across the street, and connect them by an underground tunnel?
I mean, I would hate to see that jewl be locked off from the public.
Old July 19th, 2007, 06:49 PM   #1797
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

A Racy Redesign

Check out the new look for the former Junior Achievement building at 21 Virginia Ave. The office building is getting a new name, 500 Festival Building, along with a renovation in anticipation of the arrival of the nonprofit volunteer organization that puts on the 500 Festival Parade and other events. The 1919 building is owned by GSA Investments and is listed for sale by Harshmann Property Services, at an asking price of roughly $3 million. The project is across the street from the former Zipper Building, which Broadbent is renovating.

http://www.ibj.com/html/blog.html
CorrND no está en línea  
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #1798
billionbucks
Colts Fan

he renovation of Glendale Town Center is on track for completion next summer.

Mayor Bart Peterson and Kite Realty Group, the mall’s owner, unveiled renderings today.

Macy’s will be surrounded by six stores, including T-Mobile and Lens Crafters. Target will be Glendale’s anchor, facing Macy’s.

What was once the mall’s main hall corridor will be turned into a parking lot. Construction of a Panera Bread near 62nd Street will begin soon, with the business scheduled to open later this year.
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:53 PM   #1799
DMD_Landscape
Live from Downtown Indy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post

he renovation of Glendale Town Center is on track for completion next summer.

Mayor Bart Peterson and Kite Realty Group, the mall’s owner, unveiled renderings today.

Macy’s will be surrounded by six stores, including T-Mobile and Lens Crafters. Target will be Glendale’s anchor, facing Macy’s.

What was once the mall’s main hall corridor will be turned into a parking lot. Construction of a Panera Bread near 62nd Street will begin soon, with the business scheduled to open later this year.

Wow, now THAT is sexy! It is so forward-thinking and so light years ahead of anything else that's being done in this region.

DMD_Landscape no está en línea  
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:58 PM   #1800
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

From the IBJ: "Downtown’s historic Canterbury Hotel has been sold. An announcement of the deal for the 12-story hotel at 123 S. Illinois St. apparently is scheduled for Monday. At a gathering of Wholesale District businesses Wednesday afternoon, a hotel employee announced the deal and said it will bring much-needed renovations to the property, which opened in 1928 as the Lockerbie Hotel. IBJ reported the 99-room hotel was for sale in April. One of the buyers is believed to be local businessman Fred Klipsch."

Closed Thread