daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 19th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #1801
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post

he renovation of Glendale Town Center is on track for completion next summer.

Mayor Bart Peterson and Kite Realty Group, the mall’s owner, unveiled renderings today.

Macy’s will be surrounded by six stores, including T-Mobile and Lens Crafters. Target will be Glendale’s anchor, facing Macy’s.

What was once the mall’s main hall corridor will be turned into a parking lot. Construction of a Panera Bread near 62nd Street will begin soon, with the business scheduled to open later this year.
When I first heard Kite was renovating Glendale into a "Town Center", I pictured something like a more middle-class Clay Terrace outdoor mall. But now I see they're really just turning this thing into a damn strip mall.

It's really a shame. They could have done something that would tied into everything that Broad Ripple offers or at least somewhat acknowledge its proximity. Bleh.

Nonetheless, I guess Target is better than a Wal-Mart or Big Lots.

Indianapolis: Fastest growing metro (over 1,000,000) in the Midwest. Growth rate of 7.04% between 2000 and 2005.

http://www.census.gov/population/www...bsa-01-fmt.csv
cityfan no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #1802
UrbanIndy

Likes (Received): 27

There's way, way too much surface parking in the Glendale project. But I expect nothing less on Keystone Avenue. Sad that the 2020 regional plan for improving that area for pedestrian access will go out the window with this project.
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #1803
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

That Glendale redesign is horrible...just horrible!
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #1804
Paintrain

Likes (Received): 0

i wonder if they have all that parking hoping they will find more tenants to fill in those lots
Paintrain no está en línea  
Old July 19th, 2007, 11:02 PM   #1805
k2h

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
That Glendale redesign is horrible...just horrible!
Agreed. Chalk this up to another local developer knowing they can get away with minimal time/money spent on coming up with a quality urban design product.
k2h no está en línea  
Old July 19th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #1806
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Sure it's not an urban design that's walkable, but 62nd and Keystone aint downtown. Who living in that area gives a shit about walkability/urbanity? People who own houses in that area have spoken and what they want is houses on big lots with big roads and developments with big parking lots. I doubt many of them are disappointed by this. If they wanted more urbanity, they could have chosen to live 15 or 20 blocks west around the Broad Ripple strip.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #1807
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

My dream: a transit line runs down Keystone, some of those old strip malls and surface lots are filled with higher-density transit oriented development projects.

Indianapolis: Fastest growing metro (over 1,000,000) in the Midwest. Growth rate of 7.04% between 2000 and 2005.

http://www.census.gov/population/www...bsa-01-fmt.csv
cityfan no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2007, 01:57 AM   #1808
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

From the 7/19 IndyStar, more Keystone development:

A new cluster of condos will soon bring a bit of the South Carolina coast to Indianapolis' Far Northside.

RENAISSANCE BAY

• Where: Keystone Avenue and 78th Street.

• What: A mix of about 300 three-level townhomes and single-story flats.

• Developer: Sun Shiel Properties.

• Price: Townhomes will sell for between $480,000 and $550,000, flats for between $360,000 and $750,000.

• Schedule: Site preparation is under way. Construction of the first two townhomes, the first high rise and community center will occur in late summer. A sales office will open Sept. 1.

• To learn more: Visit www.renaissancebay.com.

Site preparation work is well under way on the Renaissance Bay development off Keystone Avenue, just south of 78th Street, formerly the site of The Landings apartments.

By fall, passers-by should see the first of the new structures rising out of the ground with stone-and-brick exteriors, large balconies and other details evocative of the Old South.

Developers Andy Shiel and brothers John and Buddy Hennessey of the Sun Shiel Properties Group based the project's design on what they say is one of their favorite vacation spots, the low country surrounding Charleston, S.C. Shiel Sexton has an interest in Sun Shiel.

Renaissance Bay, designed by CSO Architects, will include three-story townhomes and single-floor flats.

The townhomes will average 2,400 square feet, including a main-floor garage, plus an additional 800 feet of balcony space. Prices will range from about $480,000 to $550,000, depending on various finishing options.

The flats will be stacked in four- and five-story buildings with main-floor parking and elevator service. Units will range from 1,580 to more than 3,200 square feet and cost from $360,000 to $750,000.

The complex will include about 300 total units protected by a secured gate. Plans also include a lake with boat docks, offering residents relatively private access to the water and views of White River.

A community center to be built this summer will serve as a sales office beginning in September.

The mix of styles should appeal to young professionals and empty nesters, said Scott Teagarden, a spokesman for the development.

"We love everything that's going on Downtown," he said. But "not everyone wants to live Downtown. This is primarily for people who enjoy the Northside experience."

Some nearby residents, however, worry that the new development will detract from their own standards of living by possibly shifting the White River's flood plain and increasing traffic congestion.

The developers' requests for building code variances to allow for structures taller than 35 feet also raised some eyebrows.

"We're happy to see a nice, new development, but we do not like that they are going against the set guidelines that the city sets for buildings," said Susan Stamm, coordinator for the Ravenswood-White River Neighborhood Association.

Anne Coffey, spokeswoman for the Indianapolis Department of Metropolitan Development, said Renaissance Bay has met minimum requirements for drainage, and that sanitary sewer and transportation plans are still under review.

Still, some local residents say Sun Shiel has not adequately addressed their concerns.

"The neighborhood would have supported the redevelopment had the developer been more amenable to amending the plan," said Ruth Hayes, president of the Nora-Northside Community Council.

Hayes said she is worried Renaissance Bay will bring increased traffic to the neighborhood just to its north and that the taller buildings -- with some rising more than 50 feet -- are incompatible with the neighboring single-story homes.

However, Teagarden said the site is completely within code.
"This is a nice development for the Northside in all respects," he said.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #1809
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan View Post
My dream: a transit line runs down Keystone, some of those old strip malls and surface lots are filled with higher-density transit oriented development projects.
Cityfan, with the Woodfield proposal looking more and more like a reality and the new high density residential development near 78th and Keystone, we are witnessing the densification of this vital corridor. This bodes well for a future light rail line along Keystone.
hoosier no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #1810
thehoss257

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
Sure it's not an urban design that's walkable, but 62nd and Keystone aint downtown. Who living in that area gives a shit about walkability/urbanity? People who own houses in that area have spoken and what they want is houses on big lots with big roads and developments with big parking lots. I doubt many of them are disappointed by this. If they wanted more urbanity, they could have chosen to live 15 or 20 blocks west around the Broad Ripple strip.
CorrND, with all due respect, that attitude is exactly the problem. While other cities are doing exciting infill mixed-use projects in suburban areas, we continue to get the same old crap over and over. Didn't this project get subsidies?

Our mayor dosen't have a clue. He continues to promote and subsidize ridiculous suburban style development and calls it progress.
thehoss257 no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:30 AM   #1811
unvrsty07

Likes (Received): 116

Plans unveiled for hotel near Conseco Fieldhouse

Southside residential developer J. Greg Allen is scheduled to outline plans today for a dual-hotel development near Conseco Fieldhouse. The project, which will use surface parking lots across Pennsylvania Street from the arena, also might include restaurants and condominiums. The project will be discussed at the Wholesale District Summit put on by Indianapolis Downtown Inc.

What the hell is this all about? Renderings have to be coming soo right? this was in the 7/18 Star...
unvrsty07 no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2007, 02:30 PM   #1812
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehoss257 View Post
CorrND, with all due respect, that attitude is exactly the problem. While other cities are doing exciting infill mixed-use projects in suburban areas, we continue to get the same old crap over and over. Didn't this project get subsidies?

Our mayor dosen't have a clue. He continues to promote and subsidize ridiculous suburban style development and calls it progress.
That's not my attitude, that's the attitude of the people living around there. You're trying to force your perspective about what makes good development upon people that, given their choice of where to purchase a home, clearly don't care about it. If I'm wrong, where are all the neighborhood residents up-in-arms?

Of course it's a terrible development, but I honestly don't give two shits what goes in at that location. I don't live there and never go there.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #1813
UrbanIndy

Likes (Received): 27

I care about Glendale because I live less than a mile from there and end up in the area often. I try to avoid it, but between Lowe's, the groceries, car washes, the library, and Target (soon), avoidance is really difficult. This project will just end up as another missed opportunity. I would have loved to have taken my bike over there, but now, no way.
Old July 20th, 2007, 04:15 PM   #1814
cwilson758
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by unvrsty07 View Post

Southside residential developer J. Greg Allen is scheduled to outline plans today for a dual-hotel development near Conseco Fieldhouse. The project, which will use surface parking lots across Pennsylvania Street from the arena, also might include restaurants and condominiums. The project will be discussed at the Wholesale District Summit put on by Indianapolis Downtown Inc.

What the hell is this all about? Renderings have to be coming soo right? this was in the 7/18 Star...

oohhhh can't wait! FINALLY.
Old July 20th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #1815
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post

he renovation of Glendale Town Center is on track for completion next summer.

Mayor Bart Peterson and Kite Realty Group, the mall’s owner, unveiled renderings today.

Macy’s will be surrounded by six stores, including T-Mobile and Lens Crafters. Target will be Glendale’s anchor, facing Macy’s.

What was once the mall’s main hall corridor will be turned into a parking lot. Construction of a Panera Bread near 62nd Street will begin soon, with the business scheduled to open later this year.

I could give a shit less about that suburbian area, I drove through it on my way to Richmond from my sisters house in LaFayette, it is an urban nightmare, though there are a few attractive highrises, they are next door to targets and parking lots.
Old July 20th, 2007, 06:24 PM   #1816
k2h

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
That's not my attitude, that's the attitude of the people living around there. You're trying to force your perspective about what makes good development upon people that, given their choice of where to purchase a home, clearly don't care about it. If I'm wrong, where are all the neighborhood residents up-in-arms?
Apparently, a local neighborhood organization has been offered $3M if they show support for the project. I know this sort of thing happens all the time, but $3M?! Could this set a precedent whereby all neighborhood groups start seeking substantial monetary handouts to speak for/against a project?
k2h no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #1817
Wu-Gambino

Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by unvrsty07 View Post

Wasn't there a rendering for the site a while back (maybe six months or so)? It wasn't very impressive, I hope this plan is better than the previous one.
Wu-Gambino no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #1818
cwilson758
Cory

Just a little note: I had to call Sprint/Nextel info today and I gave them "Indianapolis" as the city and the lady came on and said, "Indianapolis, IL?" WTF??? Um yeah, and Chicgao, IN.

I know that Americans in general are geographically challenged, but "Indianapolis, IL?" The f*cking state is in the name..!!!!
Old July 20th, 2007, 10:00 PM   #1819
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
I could give a shit less about that suburbian area, I drove through it on my way to Richmond from my sisters house in LaFayette, it is an urban nightmare, though there are a few attractive highrises, they are next door to targets and parking lots.
How is it a nightmare? Glendale was already completely surround by parking lots. I dont expect the entire building would take up all the pre-existing parking lots... The mall was on the verge of closing completely.

Last edited by billionbucks; July 20th, 2007 at 10:07 PM.
billionbucks no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #1820
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehoss257 View Post

It is progress... The site isnt exactly a hot spot - if Kite didnt take it over the mall would have gone down like Eastgate. I don't exactly know what other alturnatives you'd think for this site

everyone needs to understand this is a MALL and there were already parking lots completely surrounding it. They took parking space to expand outward and the Target is a seperate building... big deal?

Closed Thread