daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 21st, 2007, 08:51 PM   #1841
IndyBob

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyYeah View Post
I think that this will be 261 foot tall. That setback article from last week had stated approx 261 building. It looks taller. The under 300 foot buildings, proposed amazes me. This guy is tired of the low rises. At least the JW, and I imagine the Penn Tower will be over 300'. This design at least is nicer then the other 2, still any garages in existing towers that are part of a neat building anyone can think of?
300 N. Meridian St.
IndyBob no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2007, 08:53 PM   #1842
IndyBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfan View Post
Do you think the HPC will become a hassle for Penn Centre?.
Yes.
IndyBob no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2007, 08:57 PM   #1843
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

One thing that can be said for the Merrill Tower is that it makes very efficient use of land. It does not appear to be built on a large low rise pedestal, or have surface parking - at least not from the render.

I've got to believe that for a project like Penn Centre, if the design is reasonable, the Mayor wouldn't let the IHPC derail it.
Old July 21st, 2007, 09:00 PM   #1844
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBob View Post
These are all proposals at this point, until the financing is secured and the ground is broken. But it is nice to all of the proposals - this is reminiscent of the mid 80's to early 90's period. Congratulations to Prince/Alexander for making an ugly design absolutely hideous.
Penn Centre is really just waiting city approval, financing isn't the issue.

Indianapolis: Fastest growing metro (over 1,000,000) in the Midwest. Growth rate of 7.04% between 2000 and 2005.

http://www.census.gov/population/www...bsa-01-fmt.csv
cityfan no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2007, 09:02 PM   #1845
arenn

Something to noodle on. Does anyone think that the property tax situation will lead to higher density real estate downtown? Even if some relief happens, it is clear that older, single family homes in the central city were vastly underassessed in the previous taxing regime. The tax bills on those expensive downtown single families is destined to go through the roof. With downtown land getting more and more expensive, the site value alone is going to drive high assessments.

The site value and associated taxes are a fixed cost of a development. This tends to drive more efficient land use, and potentially density. That's why they build skyscrapers in downtown Chicago instead of single family homes - the land is too expensive for much else.

I think that high taxes, along with the already above market prices, could really be a big drag on downtown residential development. But it could also lead to the end of many of these ultra low density proposals.
Old July 21st, 2007, 09:02 PM   #1846
IndyYeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBob View Post
300 N. Meridian St.
Which one is that? The condo one? Also is that student tower going up? So 300 N. would be the 261 project? Thanks
IndyYeah no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2007, 09:05 PM   #1847
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownBoy View Post

Come on people, only 20 more posts until we reach 2,000. We can do it!
POST! I can't wait to visit the Central Library when it's completed.
Old July 21st, 2007, 09:06 PM   #1848
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Going to Chicago next weekend. Any idea what type of cosruction is going on I-65? It's been 4 years since I've been. I am stoked.
Old July 21st, 2007, 09:07 PM   #1849
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

Quick rant: I'm thoroughly enjoying all these 20-30 story buildings, but I'll be even prouder of Indy when we have another building that rivals Chase Tower for visibility from a distance.

Indianapolis: Fastest growing metro (over 1,000,000) in the Midwest. Growth rate of 7.04% between 2000 and 2005.

http://www.census.gov/population/www...bsa-01-fmt.csv
cityfan no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2007, 09:18 PM   #1850
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
Something to noodle on. Does anyone think that the property tax situation will lead to higher density real estate downtown? Even if some relief happens, it is clear that older, single family homes in the central city were vastly underassessed in the previous taxing regime. The tax bills on those expensive downtown single families is destined to go through the roof. With downtown land getting more and more expensive, the site value alone is going to drive high assessments.

The site value and associated taxes are a fixed cost of a development. This tends to drive more efficient land use, and potentially density. That's why they build skyscrapers in downtown Chicago instead of single family homes - the land is too expensive for much else.

I think that high taxes, along with the already above market prices, could really be a big drag on downtown residential development. But it could also lead to the end of many of these ultra low density proposals.
I think it probably will start up more apartment development, but, I think whats going to happen to old neighborhoods like cottage place, fletcher place, lockerbie, old north, etc, is that as it gets more expensive, wealthier people will move into the homes, and less fortunate will be pushed out.
the taxes are outragouse, and will cuase many problems within Indianapolis. I can see buildings having floors added, and parking garages/underground parking being used more, while higher density apartment buildings fill up parking lots.
Old July 21st, 2007, 09:23 PM   #1851
Unionstation13

Quote:
Quick rant: I'm thoroughly enjoying all these 20-30 story buildings, but I'll be even prouder of Indy when we have another building that rivals Chase Tower for visibility from a distance.
these are probably building up to higher and higher proposals, higher density, building re-uses, and probably evuantally a new tallest.
Old July 21st, 2007, 09:24 PM   #1852
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
No. I think that a defacto deal has already been struck, and this will sail through approvals. I know that they're so confident that they've already cancelled parking contracts on the site for October. The site will go into site prep then, regardless what stage approvals are in.

Hopefully we'll see renders August 1st, but I may get my hands on something earlier... maybe.. I'm pretty confident I'll have some hard information to report in a few days.
what would the HPC have to bitch about? they are preserving the omega building facade, using brick, what else is there to whine and bitch about?
Old July 21st, 2007, 09:26 PM   #1853
IndyYeah

Quote:
I think that it will take big corporation, with a firm expansion, or headquarters to get that done. Anyone remember what Bank One had to go through when announcing their intentions with the city in the late 1980's?
Old July 21st, 2007, 09:28 PM   #1854
Unionstation13

Quote:
I think that it will take big corporation, with a firm expansion, or headquarters to get that done. Anyone remember what Bank One had to go through when announcing their intentions with the city in the late 1980's?
I wasent here in the 80s.
Old July 21st, 2007, 09:33 PM   #1855
IndyYeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
Going to Chicago next weekend. Any idea what type of cosruction is going on I-65? It's been 4 years since I've been. I am stoked.
I-65 north of Merrillville gets very tight at I-94, then when finally getting on I-94 anything can happen getting to the Dan Ryan. But there are more merging and better, longer lanes getting to exits before Illinois. I think Moochie was in Chicago a month ago, maybe he drove. I live up here and won't go to Chicago unless I really want to. I do know that alot of Chicagoans are moving to Indiana.
Old July 21st, 2007, 09:36 PM   #1856
IndyYeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
what would the HPC have to bitch about? they are preserving the omega building facade, using brick, what else is there to whine and bitch about?
Hopefully not the height. And hopefully a big-wig will throw his or her weight around like a Trump type. Hopefully they will not come up with their area studies to delay it.
Old July 21st, 2007, 09:39 PM   #1857
Unionstation13

Quote:
Hopefully not the height. And hopefully a big-wig will throw his or her weight around like a Trump type. Hopefully they will not come up with their area studies to delay it.
I'd understand if they were hesitant of a big glass box going up, but something that takes influence from the historic district should be approved, did they bitch this much over the conseco fieldhouse?
Old July 21st, 2007, 09:44 PM   #1858
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Quote:
We almost had a new real tower... but they chose JW instead... im not bitter, at all...
Old July 21st, 2007, 10:11 PM   #1859
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Are we up to NINE proposed towers over 15 stories, with most over 20???? This has to be BY FAR the most outside of Chicago and possibly MSP in the midwest. Geesh, if all of these happen, this will be a very exciting couple of years. However, I bet only half get built, but still, that is great! We do know that the 2 associated with the JW Marriott will happen and we know that the MSA site will see at least one on 15 stories, so we are confident on 3. Not too bad.
Old July 21st, 2007, 10:40 PM   #1860
arenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
moby, the biggest project going into Chicago is the Dan Ryan reconstruction. Expect major delays the entire way from the merge to the end of the viaduct near downtown. Also, there is camera speed enforcement of the 45MPH zone, with a $375 fine for a first offense and a $1000 fine for a second offense.

In Indiana, the I-65 interchange with the Borman Expressway is under construction, which might cause a hiccup. There has been construction on the Skyway as well.

The good news is that the Borman/Kingery project is 100% complete. You can sail on four lanes + C/D in each direction. I actually encourage anyone driving to Chicago to take this route. That's because I think what IDOT did at the I-94/I-80/I-294/Route 394 and Torrence Ave. interchange complex is truly first class work that is actually a potential template for how the I-465/I-69/Binford/82nd St. interchange should be redone. They did Torrence as a SPUI, with express lanes inside the SPUI ramps for those heading to I-80/I-294, and a massive C/D system to the outside of the SPUI for those going to I-94 or Route 394. Plus there are multi-lane flyovers, etc. as required. This design could almost be lifted and dropped on the northeast side.

Of course IDOT spend $480 million on it, which INDOT would never dream of doing. They won't spend half that on the Indy interchange fix. Though Illinois construction costs are just plain inflated, and that includes some mainline widening, plus it includes a vastly higher pavement standard than Indiana (Illinois designs for a 40-50 year roadway, with an asphalt sub-base, continuously steel reinforced concrete, etc). Pay attention to the difference in how the pavement feels in Indiana vs. Illinois. The Illinois side is smooth as glass, and you don't feel the "Indiana jolt" that you get every time you drive over a bridge expansion joint.

Closed Thread