daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old July 22nd, 2007, 11:32 PM   #1881
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
Penn Centre will be less than a block away from the 245 foot tall Barnes and Thornburg building. I really don't think we'll have much of a problem putting a 300+ footer on the site.

Come to think of it, The Luke, also in the wholesale district, is close to 300 foot tall..
You can probably say that The Luke will be in the Wholesale District "Cultural District", but it's not in the officially designated IHPC district.

http://www.indygov.org/eGov/City/DMD.../wholesale.htm

However, I bet that you're right that Penn Centre won't have a problem with the IHPC. Of course, nothing is guaranteed until the commision votes, but why would the developers be SO secretive for SO long only to find out they don't have all their t's crossed and their i's dotted when it comes to dealing with the IHPC?
CorrND no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2007, 11:53 PM   #1882
IndyYeah

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by altfelix View Post
Ain't that the truth.
Everytime I see that Prince Alexander name I think of the 70's joke about calling a liquor store and asking if they carry Prince Alexander in a can? Yes we do. Then you better let hime out! Was that the cigar name?
IndyYeah no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2007, 11:53 PM   #1883
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

When comparing Illinois and Indiana roads, there are a number of things to consider.

Indiana is the lowest ranking state in the nation in the percentage of gas taxes returned from Washington. It receives the minimum percentage required by law. Illinois actually receives slightly more back in revenues than it sends in taxes.

Indiana's representatives who have been in Congress long enough to acquire clout have always expended it on foreign policy or other items with limited relevance to the state. Richard Lugar and Lee Hamilton both had impressive seniority, but primarily focused on foreign policy. Dan Burton also focuses on foreign policy, notably anti-Castro initiatives and sugar tariffs. In Illinois, members of Congress who got clout did so in order to bring home the bacon the state. Think about Dan Rostenkowski, for example. The previous transportation bill illustrates this perfectly. Two $500+ million transit projects - the Douglas L and Ravenswood L renovation projects - had been cut, but an Illinois representative got onto the conference committee and refused to support anything unless those projects were added back in. Indiana had no one on the conference committee.

Illinois also has higher gas taxes than Indiana, I believe. So as you can see, Illinois has a lot more money to play with.

Chicago has been a colossus for over a century, thus the state is used to dealing with major urban transportation problems. Indiana was primarily rural and smaller cities. Only recently has Indianapolis become a truly major city. Thus the state DOT has limited experience in urban transportation problems. I've yet to meet anyone there who has big city transportation experience elsewhere. Their DNA is rural projects, and for anything urban they are learning on the job.

The traffic volumes in Chicago are extreme. The Dan Ryan and Kennedy Expressways each carry over 300,000 cars per day and are basically congested all day long. And I'm not talking Indianapolis style congestion either. It can take over an hour to make the 14 mile trip from O'Hare to downtown. It just isn't feasible to rebuild these roads every 20 years. Nor can a project go on for 7 or 8 years. The user costs would be devastating. Hence IDOT puts a huge premium on projects that are built to last and get constructed quickly.

Chicago has multiple gigantic contracting firms like Walsh Construction that are capabable of bonding out $1 billion projects, so this is easy to do. Indiana doesn't have any decent sized highway contractors, so projects have to be chunked out to let local boys get their beaks wet. If you look at every large design/build project INDOT has done - Super 70 for example - you'll see that Walsh won it. That's a good thing IMO, since Walsh does a great job. However, the Indiana contractors hate it and have put huge pressure on INDOT and the state legislature to not have these types of projects.

IDOT claims they are satisified with the design and construction of the Kingery for the next 50 years. That's just the way they think over there.

INDOT is changing, but slowly. Super-70 and Hyperfix were great projects, for example. They are getting better on the contracting side. I still think their design standards are weak. INDOT will still do full depth asphalt on urban interstates, for example, which I find astounding. They also are not using permeable asphalt sub-bases or reinforced concrete. And many of their designs are just plain underpowered. Part of that results from poor demographic projections by consultants. Invariable population growth has been extremely lowballed, which leads to traffic projections that won't stand up to reality.

And keep in mind that fundamentally, Indiana is a state that focuses on doing things on the cheap. No one wants to pay high taxes to have first rate infrastructure or high quality government services. It has always been a race to the bottom. Only a few truly visionary and committed leaders like Mayor Brainard are taking a different path.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 01:49 AM   #1884
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

about the parking garage facing meridian, I hope they do something more with it than just whip up some concrete cold looking building. Meridian street deserves a better look than just concrete, they could do maybe some brick or decorative stone or something. I like the street level retail, this project is really filling up alot of empty space.
the IHPC, though neccarey in alot of cases, sure do become real bitchers at times.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 03:14 AM   #1885
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
A sloppy site plan whipped up in mspaint

That corner parking lot NEEDS to be developed.. I swear, it's going to look so ******* stupid.
benjaminooo no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2007, 03:35 AM   #1886
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminooo View Post
That corner parking lot NEEDS to be developed.. I swear, it's going to look so ******* stupid.
I don't think it could have been said any better.
CorrND no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2007, 04:09 AM   #1887
Unionstation13

now I hope those tiny little parking slots between those little old buildings can be filled,
but that would be very tricky to get someone willing to construct something that small.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 06:02 AM   #1888
indyfiend
INDYFIEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyYeah View Post
Everytime I see that Prince Alexander name I think of the 70's joke about calling a liquor store and asking if they carry Prince Alexander in a can? Yes we do. Then you better let hime out! Was that the cigar name?
It's actually Prince Albert:

Classic
indyfiend no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2007, 06:42 AM   #1889
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Is It Just Me Or

Wouldn't that "Le Meridien" hotel be better suited for le Meridan Street? Just curious, that's all...
Old July 23rd, 2007, 06:55 AM   #1890
Wu-Gambino

Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
How on earth did I manage to be two places at once?

Yes.. I know how it works...
You're God?
Wu-Gambino no está en línea  
Old July 23rd, 2007, 06:37 PM   #1891
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Projects!

Hearthview Residential has hired Gary Nance of Nance Design Inc. to renovate the final two units in the Athletic Club. Hearthview has converted most of the 95-year-old, nine-story building into condominiums, but a lounge and dining room with library are yet to be converted. Renovating the last two units will cost $2.2 million. The condos will feature 22-foot ceilings and will retain wood paneling, moldings, windows, fixtures and fireplaces. The two units are 3,000 square feet and 4,200 square feet.
Old July 24th, 2007, 12:31 AM   #1892
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Uhm...

SLOOOW newz daaay?

Last edited by IndiexInxIndy; July 24th, 2007 at 12:38 AM.
IndiexInxIndy no está en línea  
Old July 24th, 2007, 01:12 AM   #1893
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

The third resolution below is what caught my eye. (Perhaps this info was already covered in recent Indianapolis Star articles?) The first two could also be related to mass transit, but at the moment I'm unsure. Any government employees able to elaborate?

From the July 18, 2007 MDC meeting agenda, planning section:

Resolution No. 07-T-019

Authorizes the DMD to negotiate and execute a contract with The Corradino Group for improvements to the Indianapolis MPO's travel demand model, utilizing federal transportation planning funds received by the MPO, for a total contract amount of $75,000.00 The project is identified in the MPO's Unified Planning Work Program.

Resolution No. 07-T-21

Authorizes the DMD to enter into an agreement with Dun & Bradstreet, Inc ("D&B") to obtain a one year license to use D&B data containing information regarding location, employment and sales information for employers located in nine central Indiana counties including Boone, Hamilton, Hancock, Hendricks, Johnson, Madison, Marion, Morgan, and Shelby counties, for the prupose of ananlyzing regional transportation issues and trends, for an amount not to exceed $14,880.00

Resolution No. 07-T-21

Authorizes the DMD to negotiate and enter into an agreement with Storrow Kinsella and Associates to provide professional planning services related to the Regional Multi Modal Corridor System Plan and the Indianapolis MPO's Unified Planning Work Program with total compensation not to exceed $125,000.00
ablerock no está en línea  
Old July 24th, 2007, 02:05 AM   #1894
IndyYeah

I wrote the city a letter about a month ago concerning the importance of the towers for M.S.A., and they wrote. Elizabeth Gerwels said she would forward it to the Department of Metropolitan Development.
Old July 24th, 2007, 02:14 AM   #1895
IndyYeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfiend View Post
It's actually Prince Albert:

Classic
Damn, I was close, I have not thought of that crank call since I was 13. But now I think of it when I have been reading about that Prince Alexander company. Glad I am set straight! Maybe a call to them about that garage and design can wake them up that it is not 1986 anymore!
Old July 24th, 2007, 06:44 AM   #1896
indyfiend
INDYFIEND

I was reading an IBJ blog about the Skating Academy getting a 9 month extension on their lease. There were a lot of comments after the blog, but this one got me thinking:

If they must go, then so be it. Greenspace is needed in that area until the Convention Center needs room for further expansion. Hotels are popping up in all other areas of dowtown, so Iím not sure hotel space is really needed.

Like everyone here, I would've loved to see the Intercontinental built, but since it wasn't, what should this prime piece of land be used for? Should it be developed as soon as possible, or should it be saved for when the convention center needs further expansion as mentioned in the above comment?
indyfiend no está en línea  
Old July 24th, 2007, 08:27 AM   #1897
billionbucks
Colts Fan

Quote:
I was reading an IBJ blog about the Skating Academy getting a 9 month extension on their lease. There were a lot of comments after the blog, but this one got me thinking:

If they must go, then so be it. Greenspace is needed in that area until the Convention Center needs room for further expansion. Hotels are popping up in all other areas of dowtown, so Iím not sure hotel space is really needed.

Like everyone here, I would've loved to see the Intercontinental built, but since it wasn't, what should this prime piece of land be used for? Should it be developed as soon as possible, or should it be saved for when the convention center needs further expansion as mentioned in the above comment?
I'd think it should be left until a really strong anchor for downtown is proposed. If it is a convention expansion or a much-needed tower, then ok... but if they rip up the Pam Am Plaza for something dinky like the Simon tower did to the park by the Westin, I'll be upset.
Old July 24th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #1898
Unionstation13

Quote:

personally, I would rather see a large outdoor cafe on pam am plaza, that open space really does alot for wholesale, and if its filled up, would take away some good open plaza space. But, a highrise wouldent be good for that area, mainly becuase, it would dwarf unionstation and other landmarks, and 2, it would be out of place, rather far from the more highrise area.
pam am plaza should either be used for convention center future expansion space, or be what it is, a plaza.
Old July 24th, 2007, 04:32 PM   #1899
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by billionbucks View Post
I'd think it should be left until a really strong anchor for downtown is proposed. If it is a convention expansion or a much-needed tower, then ok... but if they rip up the Pam Am Plaza for something dinky like the Simon tower did to the park by the Westin, I'll be upset.
the simon tower location is just plain stupid. There are several other places than the statehouse commons to put a bland tower.
what the hell were they thinking??
Old July 24th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #1900
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Income tax

Bravo Cory Bravo! From Indystar's forum...

You know, I am not wealthy...far from it. BUT, come on now people, are you realy going to miss $300 spread out over 12 months??? If you are paid bi-weekly, like most and make the mean salary of the City, that equals less than $9 a paycheck! Seriously, don't have a Venti Caramel Latte and a muffin from Starbucks tomorrow and that will cover it.

These police and fire pensions have to be paid. Imagine the backlash if this tax wasn't passed...we owe it to those who served this City to continue to fund their pensions. How would you like it if your retirement wasn't funded? Government employees already make less than most workers. Most stay for the benefits (which are erroding).

LIGHTEN UP.

Closed Thread