daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 11th, 2007, 10:23 PM   #21
Bahnsteig4

Likes (Received): 93

Shopping streets that are NOT pedestrian areas somehow put me off.

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!

Yes, for ****'s sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #22
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5972

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkunz/VIE View Post
Thats a point. But aside from the too expensive first district, there are only larger pedestrian shopping zones in the south of Vienna, aren't they?

I fear it will be not quite possible to turn the Mariahilferstraße pedestrian. What a pitty.
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #23
Bahnsteig4

It could work. Bring back the trams (52, 58), get the cars to use Gumpendorfer Str., Burggasse, Wienzeile, etc. It's not an important street for traffic, so if you split traffic among the other streets, throughfare traffic between the center and the west still wouldn't increase significantly in these roads.

Old May 13th, 2007, 11:06 PM   #24
MasonicStage™
Super Moderator

beautiful facades in the city!
Old May 14th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #25
Slartibartfas

Quote:
It could work. Bring back the trams (52, 58), get the cars to use Gumpendorfer Str., Burggasse, Wienzeile, etc. It's not an important street for traffic, so if you split traffic among the other streets, throughfare traffic between the center and the west still wouldn't increase significantly in these roads.
I dont think the people livin at Gumpendorfer Straße for example might find it cool to have even more traffic. The same for the other streets.

But if it would be possible, that would be quite cool indeed. Instead of all the parking cars and the street in the middle the bim track again.

As biker I would of course suggest that also a bike lane might remain... Well, actually a real (both direction) biking route in a parallel street would also do the job.
Old May 14th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #26
Bahnsteig4

Quote:
But if it would be possible, that would be quite cool indeed. Instead of all the parking cars and the street in the middle the bim track again.
Exactly. Works in Zagreb, Istanbul, Amsterdam, etc...

Old May 14th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #27
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

Quote:
So Kaertner and Favoriten Strasse would be more of your liking then? I agree that Mariahilferstrasse can get crowdy but sometimes that's the beauty of it.

However I must admit that I've not been in the area in more then 5 years and I've heard that overall (safety) situation in Vienna is not as good as it used to be in the late '90s.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 01:49 AM   #28
Bahnsteig4

Quote:
So Kaertner...
Yes!
Quote:
and Favoriten Strasse would be more of your liking then?
No.

Old May 15th, 2007, 12:39 PM   #29
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Exactly. Works in Zagreb, Istanbul, Amsterdam, etc...
What works there? To close a high trafficked street of about 1.5 km length for cars?

Well maybe its right. But somehow I think this project won't take off without a significant number of people demanding it.

Quote:
Quote:
"So Kaertner..."
Yes!
Quote:
"and Favoriten Strasse would be more of your liking then?"
No.
Kärntner? Do you have too much money? No offense though I just had to write my first thought I had when I read Kärtnerstraße. Well, perhaps there are some reasonably priced shops as well, its just that I never have looked there for them till now.

Favoriten Strasse is actual a pedestrian shopping street, what don't you like at it?

Last edited by Slartibartfas; May 15th, 2007 at 10:38 PM.
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #30
pdxheel

Likes (Received): 1

I love the pictures! When do we get 7th (and 8, 9, 10....) district pictures?
pdxheel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #31
Bahnsteig4

@ Slartibartfas:

I suppose that you know that most of the pedestrian areas in Innere Stadt used to be major traffic streets as well? There was quite an uproar when they closed it for traffic, yet who could imagine cars on Graben or Stephansplatz these days?

And, well, Favoritenstraße is somehow run down...

Old May 15th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #32
Bahnsteig4

Quote:
When do we get 7th (and 8, 9, 10....) district pictures?
Have a little... patieeeence...
Even though i'd love to I can't spend all my time roaming the city...

Old May 16th, 2007, 01:49 PM   #33
Slartibartfas

Quote:
@ Slartibartfas:

I suppose that you know that most of the pedestrian areas in Innere Stadt used to be major traffic streets as well? There was quite an uproar when they closed it for traffic, yet who could imagine cars on Graben or Stephansplatz these days?
I know, I know.
But are you sure you can that easily set the 1st district and the 6th asame? It might really be the case that a pedestrian Mariahilferstraße is possible, but no way that it is as "easy" as to establish the central pedestrian zones. Perhaps it would be more comparable to the pedestrianisation of the Favoritenstraße???

The point is, the 1st district hardly had transit traffic. But the 6th district has quite a fair share of it.

Quote:
And, well, Favoritenstraße is somehow run down...
Well, Favoriten is a workers district pedestrian shopping zone. Of course you have no disneyland shopping experience there. But I think its great that also not so totally rich people got the great thing of a pedestrian zone. Without it, Favoriten might have already closed down.

Anyways thank the shopping centers. Vienna has the highest density in shopping centers in whole Europe, but if you think that would mean they have slowed down the construction of further ones, well... actually not. Even though the markekt is already oversaturated and the shopping centers themselves are already in danger.
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #34
Bahnsteig4

The first district had ALL (well, a lot of) traffic. Quite simply, when you came from Wienzeile and had to connect to (for example) Praterstern, you automatically chose Kärntner Straße - Stephansplatz - Rotenturmstraße.

Und übrigens weiß ich nicht, wieso wir uns die Mühe machen und das Ganze auf Englisch diskutieren...
Aber bitte...

Old May 17th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #35
Slartibartfas

Quote:
The first district had ALL (well, a lot of) traffic. Quite simply, when you came from Wienzeile and had to connect to (for example) Praterstern, you automatically chose Kärntner Straße - Stephansplatz - Rotenturmstraße.

Und übrigens weiß ich nicht, wieso wir uns die Mühe machen und das Ganze auf Englisch diskutieren...
Aber bitte...
Because we are discussing in a thread at the non German part of the form. Well, in case anyone else should care about our discussion at all.

Was the 1st district really such a large traffic hub?
Well, but it has a really capable alternative route, the ring and the 2er-Linie I would say. Which can't be really said about Mariahilf.

Anyway, you might be really correct. The Mariahilferstraße could be pedestrianized. But that would clearly need a strong lobbying group for that. And automatically would bring up the neighborhoods totally against it, as they probably dont feel the need for getting even more traffic.
Old May 24th, 2007, 03:44 AM   #36
Lirglgirl

Likes (Received): 0

visiting

Hello David and thank you for posting so many great pictures of your gorgeous city.

Am visiting in 2 weeks, will be there for 6 days. Would you be so kind as to tell me some not-to-miss things/sights/activities in Vienna? Day trips via train? Misc? I know the opera is a must-see.

We're staying in the 7th District. If you were to find the time to post some pictures of that area before 9 June, I'd be so appreciative!

Best,
Tara
Minneapolis, MN, usa
Lirglgirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #37
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lirglgirl View Post
Hello David and thank you for posting so many great pictures of your gorgeous city.

Am visiting in 2 weeks, will be there for 6 days. Would you be so kind as to tell me some not-to-miss things/sights/activities in Vienna? Day trips via train? Misc? I know the opera is a must-see.

We're staying in the 7th District. If you were to find the time to post some pictures of that area before 9 June, I'd be so appreciative!

Best,
Tara
Minneapolis, MN, usa
I am not David, but if you allow I might give some unqualified informations here

Regarding the Opera, there are very cheap last minute tickets available for standing places. For about 2 Euros or so.

The 7th district, Neubau, is quite nice. I showed around an American friend a few days ago and we went eating there. You should definitely check out the "Spittelberg" quarter. Its right behind the Museumsquartier and actually is also pedestrianized. The quarter is full of very diverse and partially also alternative restaurants as well as art some art shops etc. In the immediate vicinty you will find the "Siebensternbräu". Thats the restaurant we ate, they brew 5 different sorts of beer on their own, and have a nice beer garden in the courtyard.

What I know there as well is the Cafe Portrait which would be a good choice if want to play some Billiard at the evening. I know the Barkeeper there and I grant you he knows how to make cocktails. Its to find on the crossing of Burggasse and Kirchengasse.
Old May 25th, 2007, 03:36 AM   #38
Bahnsteig4

Quote:
I'll try my best!

Old May 28th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #39
nastyathenian
Metrophile

Likes (Received): 711

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvius View Post
Fantastic. Vienna is fantastic. I am not the biggest fan of Mariahilfer Straße shopping stretch, but the architecture in this city is really something to be envious about.
Mariahilferstrasse is IMO one of the most beautiful shopping streets in Europe, ten times more attractive architecturally than world-famous Oxford street in London. By the way, I’ ll be in Vienna from 15-19 June.
nastyathenian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 07:40 AM   #40
Lirglgirl

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
I am not David, but if you allow I might give some unqualified informations here ....
Thanks so much for the info!

And thanks to David for trying to get to the 7th district. Appreciate you both.

Tara
Lirglgirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote