daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old April 26th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #21
Marco Polo

one day Karachi will make it. At least I hope so.
Marco Polo no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2007, 05:01 AM   #22
bullmax

Likes (Received): 0

very impressive. those are amazing buildings so whats the final height on those????
Old April 27th, 2007, 05:10 AM   #23
Hanshin-Tigress
BANNED

Likes (Received): 110

Who designed this buildings? americans or someone else. If it was some american company make those buildings here!!! Im jealous.
Hanshin-Tigress no está en línea  
Old April 27th, 2007, 06:11 AM   #24
MJBU
I'm alive

Likes (Received): 226

woooo guys this building looks so freaking amazing, is the proyect goin to be approved or is under construccion?. in any case i'm glad for you guys is a really nice proyect

Last edited by MJBU; April 28th, 2007 at 12:59 AM.
MJBU no está en línea  
Old April 28th, 2007, 08:23 AM   #25
giovani kun
====(^.^)====

Likes (Received): 559

This project is impresive i like it..it looks like a fat wale....)...but its tallness it taht makes me like it..more..
giovani kun no está en línea  
Old April 28th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #26
mehdi_cs
Physicist

Likes (Received): 781

this is the design that was initially proposed. these renderings are almost 3 years old.

Old April 28th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #27
Mojojojo.

Likes (Received): 274

I don't think dt the design has been changed.......

chk this out....... at the end of video its the same old 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzWRhoew2vE
Mojojojo. no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2007, 02:03 PM   #28
Edwardes
لر او بر پختون یو

Likes (Received): 104

OK I'm confused did I post the render of another building or is this the new design for KPT?

Edwardes no está en línea  
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:14 PM   #29
musiddiqui

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwardes View Post
OK I'm confused did I post the render of another building or is this the new design for KPT?

you posted the render for the KPT Tower Complex which is different from Port Tower Complex. Port Tower Complex is 1947 feet and is part of the Karachi Waterfront which is being built by Limitless (Dubai World) and is therefore now being constructed by Limitless the designs posted is this thread are old watch the video for karachi waterfront (link to karachi waterfront thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=455319) to see the new design. whereas KPT Tower Complex has been designed by Aedas and is around 300 m tall (80 floors) and is being constructed on the reclaimed land along the Mai Kolachi Bypass (link to KPT Tower Complex thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...460243&page=2). construction was supposed to start in april dont know what happened.

hope this makes things clear
musiddiqui no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #30
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6839

great design, nice to see Karachi going vertical!
big-dog no está en línea  
Old August 9th, 2007, 01:50 AM   #31
Jibran
LOVE PAKISTAN

Likes (Received): 9

where is it in Karachi
Jibran no está en línea  
Old August 22nd, 2007, 07:57 AM   #32
MasterMinds

Likes (Received): 2

Wowww... this is going to be the identity of Pakistan one day
MasterMinds no está en línea  
Old August 22nd, 2007, 10:30 AM   #33
bling_bling

Likes (Received): 2

Of all the high rises claimed to be the icons of the cities around the world, Karachi's tower will hit the top spot in its grandeur and class. No doubt the tower is just awesome.
bling_bling no está en línea  
Old August 22nd, 2007, 12:21 PM   #34
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

Karachi Going High: 1947 ft Building on the Horizon

Speaking at inaugural ceremony of the Bagh Ibne Qasim in Karachi, General Musharraf announced that one of the tallest buildings in the world is planned to be built in Karachi.

How tall, you ask? Well, the word from the top is all of 1947 feet. One assumes that this number is no coincidence. I guess there will be something special on the 14th floor and somehow August will also be commemorated.

According to the Daily Times (Feburary 28, 2007):

One of the tallest buildings of the world will be constructed in Karachi, President Pervez Musharraf told a ceremony in connection with the inauguration of Bagh Ibn-e-Qasim here on Tuesday night. The president referred to a project pertaining to a beach and island’s development, and said this would be a mega project of international standard. He said that land for the project would be reclaimed from the sea and added that the centre of the project would be a 1,947-foot high building. “Inshallah we will make it. We must show the world that this is an emerging, progressive and dynamic country and we are second to none. We know how to handle ourselves. We know what progress and prosperity means and that is what we need to show to everyone,� Musharraf said. The project would not affect the environment, he added.

There has been, of course, much fanfare about the Centaurus 7-star Hotel project in Islamabad, and I remain skeptical about the hyperbole accompanying these projects until I actually see them completed. I will reserve my comments on the trumpeted building itself until I see actual plans and designs for it and until it actually materializes in reality. One has heard of too many such grandiose projects that never transpired to get all excited about them just yet. In this case, the legality and appropriateness of the sale of the island where this is to be built remains in question.
However, I find the logic presented by General Musharraf to be rather confusing, even disturbing. I certainly share his desire to be seen as an emerging, progressive and dynamic country that is second to none. However, it escapes me how building a huge tower will make as any of the above. Moreover, I have absolutely no idea what he means by we know how to handle ourselves or how constructing such a building will demonstrate that we do. Most importantly, I do know that progress and prosperity is to be measured by means other than the height of ones buildings.

I do not wish to sound cynical. I really do not. If this actually happens, and if it is well designed and well executed, I will join with my fellow-Pakistanis in a collective bhangra. But, until then, I remain skeptical mostly because the motivation to build this seems misplaced. There could be many good reasons to build such a grand project. And there are many good ways to achieve the objective of demonstrating that Pakistan is an emerging, progressive and dynamic country that is second to none. But neither is the best match for the other.

To be fair, I think the other things that Gen. Musharraf said in the speech - which were not reported in the story about the tall building - were more on the mark on how to demonstrate that we know what progress and prosperity means. For example, according to The News story on the same event the President did show a deeper understanding of the citys challenges and priorities:

President Musharraf listed a lack of clean drinking water, the electricity shortage, and a lack of cleanliness as Karachi’s current problems. He said the electricity problem would also be resolved, and that the city had required 2200 megawatts of electricity per year but now with a population of 15 million its power requirement has risen to 3300 megawatts. Karachi’s demand has increased by 50 percent, he added. But he said We will resolve this problem. Referring to the city’s water problem, he said he had provided K-III for 100 mgd water and now he would back up the K-IV water project. President Musharraf said that Karachi city should also be cleaned and for this purpose negotiations were be held with a private firm for a solid waste management project which would resolve the cleanliness problem.

However, the same story also points out that the President directed environmental experts not to create hurdles in the development of the city and went on to say:

If we have to make roads for the development of the city and for this if we have to chop the trees, we will do it but then we will also plant more trees.

He was obviously referring to environmental objections to the development of the islands off Karachi. This attitude of seeing environmental concerns as hurdles to development does not bode well and is at least two decades outdated in the policy thinking on sustainable development. Having environment and development go together is not only possible; it is absolutely necessary for countries like Pakistan and cities like Karachi. So, President sahab, have your tall building if it pleases you; but, please, do not pit environment versus development in this way. It serves neither the interests of development, nor of the environment, and certainly not of Karachi or of Pakistan.

Source:
http://pakistaniat.com/2007/02/28/pa...r-environment/
and Daily Times.

Buyckske Ruben no está en línea  
Old August 22nd, 2007, 02:45 PM   #35
AshMat
Used Banner

Likes (Received): 5

Wait, so is it the cylindrical one, or the pyramid-esque one that's getting built?
AshMat no está en línea  
Old August 22nd, 2007, 10:24 PM   #36
Pruim
shnnbp

They appear to be 2 different buildings and this is about the pyramid-esque one - I think...
Old August 23rd, 2007, 01:46 AM   #37
CrazyDave

Likes (Received): 192

I can't believe how many buildings will end up Taller than T101. It (T101) isn't even going to be one of the 10 tallest in the world in a few years.
CrazyDave no está en línea  
Old August 23rd, 2007, 04:39 AM   #38
KB

Likes (Received): 6801

lol ....I agree.

The world cities are going upwards at a tremendous rate.
KB no está en línea  
Old August 23rd, 2007, 04:54 AM   #39
Adan

Likes (Received): 1

I'm agre with the upper user
Adan no está en línea  
Old August 23rd, 2007, 09:37 PM   #40
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

that boom with towers taller than T101 is indeed crazy...but i love it!!!!
ZZ-II no está en línea  

Closed Thread