daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 1st, 2007, 10:21 AM   #2001
choyak

Likes (Received): 19

Yeah, Sears to roof=442m, Petronas to top=452m, the illustrator seemed to ignore the spires in the drawing of the Petronas Towers!!
choyak no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2007, 10:22 AM   #2002
DocShergar
He's a beauty!

Likes (Received): 6

we dont have 1 yet. Being that people keep asking about the cladding and this pic was 11 pages ago i thought it would be worth posting again until we get new pics
Old June 1st, 2007, 11:22 AM   #2003
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobedoobai View Post
"There will be a car park underneath the Burj Dubai with a capacity of 3,000 cars"

???

A carpark? I thought underneath the Burj D. there's only a solid concrete base with lots of huge pipes/bars extending deeply into the ground. Does anyone have a drawing / design / photograph of this car park?
Not exactly underneath the tower, but underneath the plazza around the tower.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 11:24 AM   #2004
Ember-To-Ashes

Likes (Received): 7

intresting that the amound of steal used has nearly doubled! =O
Ember-To-Ashes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 12:48 PM   #2005
Doobedoobai
Looking for world records

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenico View Post
Thanks Domenico. Veeeeery, very clarifying!

@AltinD: okay, that that makes more sense, although some superhigh scrapers have carparks in their basement right under them, like the NYC WTC towers used to have.

Edit: Interesting post count number for this post. Is this the longest thread ever at SkyScraperCity?

Last edited by Doobedoobai; June 1st, 2007 at 01:04 PM.
Doobedoobai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 12:55 PM   #2006
joobn

Likes (Received): 2

haha, doobedoobai got post 2007!
joobn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 12:59 PM   #2007
James R. Hawkwood
Imperator

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ember-To-Ashes View Post
intresting that the amound of steal used has nearly doubled! =O
That is because off the height increases.
You need to make your concrete stronger to bear the additional weight off the higher building.

Concrete + Steel = Architectual orgasm.

Reason: They expand and contract at the same rate and they are both a killer team: steel is good in resisting pulling not pushing whilest concrete is good in pushing not in pulling
Old June 1st, 2007, 01:06 PM   #2008
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
@AltinD: okay, that that makes more sense, although some superhigh scrapers have carparks in their basement right under them, like the NYC WTC towers used to have.
That is becouse WTC (and many other supertalls) are build in dense urban enviroments, while BD is being build in what used to be a complete barren land and has provission for relatively wide plazzas and open spaces around.

Also Dubai has very high water tables which will make building underground floors very complicated and extremely expensive. That's why the towers in the main highway have separate parking structures at their rears.

I think safety reasons might have been considered as well.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 03:37 PM   #2009
googlepeakoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham View Post
Let's just say it still has to beat the CN Tower.

I'm starting to wonder why the cladding does not continue to go up.
How long does it take for a small ship to go from China to Dubai??
I'm guessing 4 days at the most.
They could even hire some cigarette boats just to keep things rolling. lol.
I'm confused and bewildered.

And the winglets on the low wing....?? are they mixing the concrete up in buckets and applying with a trowel?
I think not because they would have had more progress if they did.
Don't mind me, I'm just cranky, impatient, and getting old. lol
At least a week. If the ship is doing 20mph (optimistic) then that's 480 miles a day. I'm sure the distance is at least 3000 miles depending on the Chinese port. Considering loading and unloading times and everything else - the container ship could be 2 weeks behind the plane load.
I would also expect that the containers would NOT have been loaded by the time the first batch was being installed on the building - after all if they failed, then they might have to stay at the company to be fixed!!! I doubt they would have even manufactured that many to start with - if they were wrong they could have wasted 1000s of windows and $millions.

Also this is not speculation (about the 2nd load coming by ship and the first few coming by airfreight) as some people suggested- it was in an article that I found via Google News that I posted a few weeks back. It also makes perfect sense to not send 10000 windows and then find out they don't fit! Imagine the cost!

In a few weeks I expect to see lots being installed (they'll probably do some of each type - ie. some mechanical levels, all types of edges).
In a few months I expect to see 30-60 windows a day being installed imho.
googlepeakoil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 05:17 PM   #2010
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellan View Post
now it has 100 pages
any news about the final height?
latest height was 818m
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:09 PM   #2011
quabex

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Edit: Interesting post count number for this post. Is this the longest thread ever at SkyScraperCity?
the baltimore development thread is just under 4000 posts. they're a very active and dedicated group. come and see whats going on in our fair city!

cheers from the east coast of the u.s.
quabex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:17 PM   #2012
dubai888

Pics 1/June/2007 - 130 Floors, 468.1 m

Hey guys...
some new pictures that i've taken this afternoon... sorry for quality, not a pro!

Burj Dubai
Official height: 468.1 meters (1,535 feet) - 130 floors

1/June/2007 16:00 GMT+4

dubai888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:21 PM   #2013
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond 1000 View Post
Yes it damn well is. It is a built thing. Even if it beats Taipei 101 it beats NO record to speak of. It still has to beat Sears antennas which are a huge presence on the top. Then it has to surpass the mighty CN. Taipei nothing.
The Burj is also expected to surpass the KVLY-TV transmitter tower in eastern North Dakota, USA to become the world's tallest ground-supported structure of any kind.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:25 PM   #2014
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3095

Some of you were asking about open decks and wind problems? Don't know about any open observation decks on this building ??? but the Eureka Tower in Melbourne has a double door system for their open deck..you press a button walk into a small airlock, when door behind closes you can open next door into inside observation level.
redbaron_012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:31 PM   #2015
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

I love that first pic. Really gives off the "skyline in the making" vibe
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:34 PM   #2016
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by pflo777 View Post
whats that for a cablecar imre?
Cable car is interesting , I have a friend , who has been living here since 1998 but he has never heard about the cable car , when I told him , didnt believe me

Cable Car

Another arial view of Dubai would be to take the cable car ride that runs the 2.3km length of Creekside Park (between the Creek's two bridges) in under half an hour. Suspended 30 metres in the air, you can see for miles in each direction.
Twelve cable cars traverse the Creek Park affording a view of the creek area from 25 meters above ground.

The cable car system spans 4,200 meters from the park's amphitheatre to Al Maktoum Bridge. Three stations have been set up where passengers can be picked up. Each car accommodates up to four passengers. A private company has been commissioned to operate the project.

http://www.dubaicityguide.com/touris...2.asp#cablecar
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:35 PM   #2017
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
Some of you were asking about open decks and wind problems? Don't know about any open observation decks on this building ??? but the Eureka Tower in Melbourne has a double door system for their open deck..you press a button walk into a small airlock, when door behind closes you can open next door into inside observation level.
Wouldn't revolving doors work just the same? I do know that you have to pass through a set of revolving doors right before boarding the Skydeck elevators in the basement lobby area of the Sears Tower. This, I believe, is because of the convective 'chimney' effect of their shaft. One can notice a real pressure difference when they have to open a set of side doors to allow a wheelchair on.

IIRC, the 'open air' part of the Hancock Observatory in Chicago just uses regular doors.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:39 PM   #2018
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3095

I was just thinking....all these amazing buildings in Dubai...???? what for??? I mean its just a big desert ....no disrespect to any middle east country, but it all seems crazy to build this huge city in such a place.....As it all comes down to money in the end...I guess they will buy every major corporation in the world so all Head Offices will be in Dubai. It's just a matter of time.....money talks! They know that if the world finally turns to alternate fuel and energy sources oil will just be a thick black slippery substance.
redbaron_012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 06:41 PM   #2019
BlackSmith!
Peace sells...

Likes (Received): 6

131 storeys on dubai888s picture I guess. Quite hard to count it right
BTW would anyone have time and tools to update this pic? Would be great to see the progress of last 2 months

Last edited by BlackSmith!; June 1st, 2007 at 06:53 PM. Reason: link problems
BlackSmith! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 07:18 PM   #2020
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
I was just thinking....all these amazing buildings in Dubai...???? what for??? I mean its just a big desert ....no disrespect to any middle east country, but it all seems crazy to build this huge city in such a place.....As it all comes down to money in the end...I guess they will buy every major corporation in the world so all Head Offices will be in Dubai. It's just a matter of time.....money talks! They know that if the world finally turns to alternate fuel and energy sources oil will just be a thick black slippery substance.
Oil is a non player in Dubai's economy and has been since before this boom began. Of course they are looking for business growth. Trade is a big deal in Dubai. The Jebel Ali port is huge and moves a ton of materials. That is what is fueling the boom.
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote