daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 6th, 2007, 01:07 PM   #2241
european

Likes (Received): 25

what is the height of BD?
european no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2007, 01:41 PM   #2242
James R. Hawkwood
Imperator

Likes (Received): 7

The height off the BD is lets say 476 meters in height. 132~ floors.

Yes there are a huge amount off cranes in Dubai. It is estimated that 25 % (!!!!)!!! off the worlds cranes are in Dubai!!

Cheers all
Old June 6th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #2243
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10143

Quote:
Originally Posted by european View Post
what is the height of BD?
checkout latest diagram>

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=482529
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #2244
Green Jello

Likes (Received): 23

Hey Joobin -

Since you have the great balcony, what would you say to doing a project for us? You could set up the camera on a tripod and take a picture every morning with the exact same settings. That way they could be easily made into a time lapse video.
Green Jello no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 05:37 PM   #2245
joobn

Likes (Received): 2

i dont have a tripod but i will put it in the same place everyday and take a photo, same settings
Old June 6th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #2246
Green Jello

Likes (Received): 23

That would be really cool! Do you know how to link them together with something like Windows Movie Maker? I'll happily help in anyway I can.
Green Jello no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #2247
Adrian Smith fan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

just a quick sketch
Adrian Smith fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #2248
Ember-To-Ashes

i think perhaps the core shud stop at the tier below on ur pic adrian smith fan
Ember-To-Ashes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #2249
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Smith fan View Post
just a quick sketch
YOU ARE A SUCKER!!!!
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 07:32 PM   #2250
Ember-To-Ashes

hows this one? what do u reckon.. hmm

[IMG]http://i8.************/6fioytl.jpg[/IMG]
Old June 6th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #2251
joobn

i dont have windows movie maker, i use my companys operating system, so arismo best software! anyway will do!
Old June 6th, 2007, 08:22 PM   #2252
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Real-Link View Post
I was also curious as to what floor your condo / apartment is on please? Gauging by the BD, I'd take a stab and guess ~23rd floor?

I think he mentioned that is was on the 20th, which would make your guess a pretty good one!
Old June 6th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #2253
joobn

yup! 20! and can people please not take off the name from my photos (mr.alloy) do wat u want but keep wat i put on them
Old June 6th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #2254
vinouz

Likes (Received): 1

Still, "Yours" is bigger than "Mine".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ember-To-Ashes View Post
hows this one? what do u reckon.. hmm

[IMG]http://i8.************/6fioytl.jpg[/IMG]
vinouz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #2255
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by joobn View Post
yup! 20! and can people please not take off the name from my photos ... do wat u want but keep wat i put on them
I think you missed the part where you were called a sucker for putting it in the first place.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #2256
Ember-To-Ashes

lol! hah, im not sure if i like Mine anymore, i prefere his one because it would have more space in it, but i dunno, mine looks like it fits better.. imo i dunno.

edit.. p.s i have nothign against watermarks at all. i like them, shows you who took the photo and i woldnt like anyone stealing my pics if i took some so i'd do the same... the reason why it isnt in the pic i edited was because i cropped it to make it smaller. sorry.
Old June 6th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #2257
graham
BANNED

Likes (Received): 34

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS - June 04

MUSCAT, Oman -- A powerful cyclone approaching the oil-rich Persian Gulf area forced the evacuation Monday of nearly 7,000 people from an Omani island, a government official said.

Cyclone Gonu, with winds of 160 miles per hour and gusts of 195 miles per hour, was headed northwest through the Indian Ocean toward Oman's east coast, said Weather Underground meteorologist Tim Roche.

Government authorities started the evacuations from Masira, an island off the east coast of Oman, said General Malik bin Suleiman al-Muamri, head of the country's civil defense.

Oil prices edged upward, though the cyclone was not necessarily the reason, said Tom Kloza, chief oil analyst at the Oil Price Information Service. Oman's oil reserves and production are small compared to some of its Middle Eastern neighbors.

"I don't know if you can really attribute any of the gain to the cyclone," he said.

The government in neighboring Saudi Arabia issued a statement reassuring its people and the oil markets that it would not be seriously affected by the storm.

The storm was expected to weaken before starting to lash Oman on Tuesday, with winds of 115 mph. The most powerful part of the storm was expected to hit Oman on Thursday before moving north into southern Iran.

Even with the weaker wind speeds, Gonu would be the strongest cyclone to hit the Arabian Peninsula since record keeping started in 1945, Roche said.

A cyclone is the term used for hurricanes in the Indian Ocean and Western Pacific.

Tropical cyclone Gonu now category 5 with 40 ft. waves

Looks like Murphy is fairly active in the construction business too!

June 5th...........

There is TC Gonu, unusually powerful and unusually far to the northwest–and it is headed towards the northwest. Thus, the first land in the path of Gonu, as it is now moving, would be easternmost Oman. And this is where the latest JTWC advisory takes Gonu–ashore southeast of Masqat. As far as numerical forecast models, the GFS is still handling Gonu poorly, but the ECMWF, which has been remarkably prescient on this amazing storm, is still taking a powerful low ashore in SE Oman–and even into interior eastern Arabia. I cannot rule out extreme, unusual weather in UAE, Qatar and Saudi Arabia to at least Al Ahsa and the southern/middle Najd (Riyadh).

June 6th....

Cyclone Gonu hit the east coast of Oman earlier today, although the strongest tropical storm to hit the Gulf state in decades steadily weakened after reaching land.

Heavy rains and high winds lashed Muscat, with the streets of the capital almost deserted save for a few all-terrain vehicles, after thousands of residents were evacuated from coastal areas.

The wind speed has slowed to 71-105 mph from 160 mph, Omani weather officials said.

Last edited by graham; June 6th, 2007 at 09:01 PM.
graham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #2258
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Evacuations in Fujairah

By Fuad Ali, Staff Reporter and WAM

Fujairah: Huge tides and increasingly high waves are battering the east coast of UAE even as panic and curiosity spread among the residents.

Authorities have ordered the evacuation of residents in some areas of Fujairah and Kalba, laying on buses to move people into temporary refuge centres at a number of local schools.

The ports at Fujairah and Khor Fakkan have also been closed because of the heavy weather.

The main route in and out of the east coast town of Kalba has been shut down and residents, in areas close to the advancing sea water, have been ordered to evacuate their homes.

The continuous surge of seawater is threatening to overwhelm homes and government buildings, especially in the area of Al Nighelat, despite the barriers of sand erected to halt the storm tide.

Farms and buildings in other parts of the east coast, including Al Sharm, Merbeh and Qidfeh, are reported to have been flooded as authorities struggle to cope with fast developing conditions.

A number of key roads have been closed down by police all along the east coast and hastily created diversions have created traffic congestion and confusion among motorists.

In addition, police and civil defense patrols are working to stop curious crowds from gathering at beaches and corniche areas.

Dozens of water tanks and trucks carrying sand are continuously working to mop up the vast amounts of sea water.

Authorities have urged residents not to panic and have called upon them to cooperate fully with directions issued, including a plea not to make unnecessary journeys into coastal areas.

The city of Sur Kalba and Suhalia area are most affected as seawaves covered the corniche and park, resulting in blocking traffic in the main road.

Traffic patrols and municipality vehicles worked to drain water from the streets.

Some coastal houses have been evacuated after water flooded them, while many other roads in the emirate were flooded.

The Ministry of Interior’s emergency teams and the municipality teams took action to resume normal life in the area.
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #2259
Vitalstatistix
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

From the parking of the Ministry of Labour Health Centre, this night:

[IMG]http://i7.************/6cdff3s.jpg[/IMG]
Vitalstatistix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #2260
graham
BANNED

Likes (Received): 34

Cyclone Gonu: UAE sets up emergency task force

According to late evening reports, high tides swept through Kalba coasts, flooding the great garden at Al Faisail, the Heritage Museum at the old house of Shaikh Saeed Al Qasimi, as well as some residential districts. Bad weather conditions affected the normal activities along the East Coast. Construction activities at Al Qariya were temporarily halted as water submerged the construction equipment, while desalination facilities at Qadfa were flooded with rain waters. Strong waves smashed the breakwaters at Sharm and Bedia, resulting in flooding. Traffic from Khor Fakkan to Dibba came to a standstill. Met offices across the UAE have advised the public, residents and tourists not to engage in any water-related activities until the weather stabilises. Faisal Al Muhairi, head of weather forecasting section in Abu Dhabi said: “We are monitoring the cyclonic waves through the satellite and radars round the clock and we will officially issue alert notices on Wednesday after assessing the exact situation.”

According to the Met department, the cyclone is at the Arabian Sea and heading towards the northwest with the speed of 10-12km per hour. “This will bring sundry changes in the weather like rain with thunder showers in the eastern areas of the UAE. It will likely reach Fujairah by Wednesday afternoon with wind speed at approximately 50 knots,” Al Muhairi said.

“We expect Cyclone Gonu to hit the Abu Dhabi coast on Thursday afternoon and remain for three days. Though, the intensity of the cyclone will be grave on Friday along the entire UAE coastline. This will bring heavy rains, thunder showers, stormy winds and a heavy tides in the coastal areas of the region,” said Mohammed Ikram Quraishi, senior meteorologist at UAE Met Department.

He warned people to stay away from beaches and sea shores and cautioned fishermen from fishing. He also advised motorists to avoid unnecessary driving on the roads as the visibility may be low in the next couple of days. Major Saeed Al Hamer, Director of Public Relations and Morale Guidance, Fujairah Police, cautioned the public against hiking in the mountains. “The public may dial telephone number 999 should they need any assistance,” he said.
graham no está en línea   Reply With Quote