daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 7th, 2007, 10:24 AM   #2301
Adrian Smith fan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

RIP
Adrian Smith fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2007, 11:40 AM   #2302
BlackSmith!
Peace sells...

Likes (Received): 6

Accidents happen, but can be avoided. Poor worker RIP
BlackSmith! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #2303
joobn

Likes (Received): 2

RIP

this is the first of the burj dubai images that im taking as requested!

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...ageupdate1.jpg
Old June 7th, 2007, 12:20 PM   #2304
DocShergar
He's a beauty!

Likes (Received): 6

whats the construction in the forground Joobn? Will this get in the way of your BD views? Great pic btw

RIP
Old June 7th, 2007, 12:44 PM   #2305
James R. Hawkwood
Imperator

Likes (Received): 7

Nice comparison Cullwulla

How could you jump from floor 132. 476 Meters tall to floor 134. 486 Meters tall in 2 to 3 days???? That is impossible.
Old June 7th, 2007, 12:52 PM   #2306
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocShergar View Post
whats the construction in the forground Joobn? Will this get in the way of your BD views? Great pic btw

RIP
Those are towers belonging to Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) district and at least those in the centre of the picture (the big hole) will block his view over the lower half of Burj Dubai.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #2307
stardust
To the stars again!!!

Likes (Received): 1460

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.03 View Post
First death on the BD construction site. A worker fell from the 130th floor to the 108th. Rest in peace.

http://www.7days.ae/showstory.php?id=52018
RIP
Old June 7th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #2308
TexasSkyWatcher
Supertall fan #1

Likes (Received): 2

Thanks for the shot so far and the new ones you plan Joobn! I like the view from your suite!!
TexasSkyWatcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 03:08 PM   #2309
Doobedoobai
Looking for world records

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
First death on the BD construction site. A worker fell from the 130th floor to the 108th. Rest in peace.
Aren't the workers secured somehow when doing riskful work? I can imagine when working close to the edge of a floor without any cladding, a strong windgust can wipe someone over the edge.
Doobedoobai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #2310
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

That's why the accident is under investigation by Dubai Police.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #2311
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10113

Quote:
Originally Posted by James R. Hawkwood View Post
Nice comparison Cullwulla

How could you jump from floor 132. 476 Meters tall to floor 134. 486 Meters tall in 2 to 3 days???? That is impossible.
i think its the same. 132 is 134 but from basement. there is 2 levels below grade,
so depends where you take height from.
so current height= 476m or fl132 or fl134/486m from base..... i think.lol
thats sad about that worker. really takes its toll on a construction site when a worker dies.
history has a bad rep for workers dieing creating landmarks. 20 died on ESB? 16 died building sydney harbour bridge and so on.
lets hope its first and last for Burj Dubai.
rip
cheers
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 04:00 PM   #2312
googlepeakoil

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by stress115 View Post
the highest occupied floor according to your diagram culwulla is 1m wide?

that is like 3.3 feet right? Kinda cramped if you as me.
The top of the pinnacle (at 808m) is 2 or 3m wide.
I assume the people were drawn to scale - so even though it looked like 1m. it was very obvious that there would be another 1 there!

RIP, poor worker. Watching them build those tiny winglets around floor 120 was scary enough. I wonder where he fell from - what section is at floor 130 - is it the bottom of the core climbing form... maybe there was a gap
Hope they do a detailed investigation.
Glad that at least this news wasn't being covered up. Shows the press isn't in a dictatorship.
googlepeakoil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #2313
vinouz

Likes (Received): 1

Rest in Peace.

Quote:

http://www.7days.ae/showstory.php?id=52018
vinouz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #2314
graham
BANNED

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
486m? isnt real grd some 10m higher, thus 476m?
anyway
i was trying to workout just how big Burj Dubai is compared to a well known highrise in Sydney. just to give you an idea how large BD is.
ive worked ot Burj Dubai is about the size of 10x 150m/45st Lumeire towers topped with a 200m tv mast.
ive stacked 10 on top to show size/ each tower is 40mx40m.

start off with 4 stacked togther.then add3 more top, then 2, then 1 which equals 600m or 4x45floors=180fl.
then the upper section of Burj Dubai is basically a big 200m tall steel framed tower, so ive added ch10 tower. totals approx 800m!!!
amazing.just cant grasp size.
just to let you outoftowners know. Lumiere is Sydney's newest skyscraper. nearly completed opposite Town hall in city centre. its 151m/47storeys high with 450 units. was designed by sir Norman Foster!!
it has taken about 1 year to build. so imagine 10 togther?

150m Lumiere.
Very interesting.
Thanks for informative diagram Culwalla.

Sad to hear about the worker's death.
I suspect it had something to do with high winds.
I hope the others stay safe till it's built!

Last edited by graham; June 7th, 2007 at 06:01 PM.
graham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #2315
Adrian Smith fan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

This will be world's tallest building

Burj Dubai is a skyscraper in the true sense of the word. Standing at 130 floors or 468.1 meters (1,535 feet), the tower is still under construction in Dubai. At its current height, it is the second tallest building in the world, as measured by structural height (not including antennas).

When completed in 2008, it will be the world's tallest building.

It is part of a huge development located at the First Interchange (aka Defense round-about) along Sheikh Zayed Road at Doha Street.

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP of Chicago is the lead architect, structural engineer and mechanical engineer of the Burj. George Efstathiou of SOM is the managing partner on the project, while Adrian Smith, formerly of SOM, is the design partner.

In February, the Burj Dubai surpassed the Sears Tower as the building with the most floors in the world.

Rising at its current rate of 2-3 floors a week, the Burj Dubai is likely to surpass Taipei 101 (509 meters, 1,671 ft) by September 2007 to become the tallest building in the world in all four CTBUH criteria, and will also surpass the CN Tower (553 meters, 1,815 feet) to become the tallest freestanding land-based structure.

However, the CTBUH, like most standards bodies, will not recognise its world-record height until it is occupied.

The projected final height of the Burj Dubai is officially being kept a secret due to competition; however, figures released by a contractor on the project have suggested a height of around 808 metres (2,651 feet).

Based on this height, the total number of habitable floors is expected to be around 162. However, on the project's official website, an interior graphic of an elevator panel shows floor numbers up to 195.

Though unconfirmed, Burj Dubai has been rumored to have undergone several height increases since its inception. Originally proposed as a virtual clone of the 560 m (1,837 feet) Grollo Tower proposal from Melbourne, the tower was quickly redesigned with an original design by Skidmore Owings and Merrill. This design put the building at approximately 705 metres (2,313 ft).

One of Burj Dubai's main competitors is planned for a location 50 km (31 miles) from the Burj Dubai site. Al Burj is being developed by Nakheel Properties, which is also keeping its final height under wraps.

Another proposed supertall skyscraper, the Murjan Tower in Manama, Bahrain is planned to be 1,022 meters (3,353 ft) tall with 200 floors. The Murjan Tower is being designed by Danish firm Henning Larsens Tegnestue A/S.

Also potentially competing with the Burj Dubai is the proposed 1,001 meter-high (3,284 feet) Mubarak al-Kabir Tower to be erected in Kuwait as part of a massive development project called Madinat al-Hareer ("City of Silk") that also includes an Olympic stadium, residences, hotels, and retail facilities. However, the project may take 25 years to complete.

The design of Burj Dubai is ostensibly derived from the patterning systems embodied in Islamic architecture, with the triple-lobed footprint of the building based on an abstracted desert flower native to the region. The tower is composed of three elements arranged around a central core. As the tower rises from the flat desert base, setbacks occur at each element in an upward spiraling pattern, decreasing the cross section of the tower as it reaches toward the sky.

The building's interior will be decorated by Giorgio Armani. An Armani Hotel (the first of its kind) will occupy the lower 37 floors. Floors 45 through 108 will have 700 private apartments on 64 floors.

Engineers rotated the building 120 degrees from its original layout to reduce stress from prevailing winds. Over 45,000 cubic meters of concrete, weighing more than 110,000 tons were used to construct the concrete and steel foundation, which features 192 piles buried more than 50 meters (164 feet) deep.
http://inhome.rediff.com/money/2007/jun/07tall.htm
Adrian Smith fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #2316
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

nice article, thx for posting.
ZZ-II está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 06:24 PM   #2317
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Whoever wrote that article has been reading Wikipedia
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 07:26 PM   #2318
Sky Tower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 67

...and my site!
Sky Tower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 07:34 PM   #2319
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Tower View Post
...and my site!
A bunch of stuff from your site is on wikipedia. They are still citing you as a source for 1011m!
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #2320
Sky Tower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 67

I haven't read it for ages, it's mainly forumers who edit those pages anyway!
Sky Tower no está en línea   Reply With Quote