daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 7th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #2321
giovani kun
====(^.^)====

Likes (Received): 559

do we have a cladding update...have they made any progress ?? how many windows do we have now ?
giovani kun no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #2322
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovani kun View Post
do we have a cladding update...have they made any progress ?? how many windows do we have now ?
1. No.

2. Yes.

3. Lots.

Glad I could help!
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #2323
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie Maea View Post
Whoever wrote that article has been reading Wikipedia
i've the feeling i read that article already some weeks ago
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 08:36 PM   #2324
joobn

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Tower View Post
...and my site!
did u code that all ureself? its pretty cool! more in flash! :p am a flash junkie coder myself! nice info on it too...
Old June 7th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #2325
renato1
renato1

Likes (Received): 0

Armani is designed to decorate the building, but also the appartments or only the hotel?
renato1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #2326
renato1
renato1

Does somebody know who will be busy to build all the kitchens?
Old June 7th, 2007, 09:09 PM   #2327
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

ARMANI will design ONLY the Hotel suites and Hotel Apartments. Interiour design of the apartments and offices is being done and will be furbished by the local company DEPA, which has done also Burj Al Arab, if not wrong.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 09:20 PM   #2328
Adrian Smith fan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

Tallest office in the world

just imagine working over 2,300ft in the air
Adrian Smith fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #2329
BlackSmith!
Peace sells...

Likes (Received): 6

geez you have great drawing abilities Ever imagined being an artist?
BlackSmith! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 09:50 PM   #2330
Skymyhusband
French dwarf

Likes (Received): 60

Do you think it's reasonable to have a pet 700m. above gorund?
Skymyhusband no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #2331
Adrian Smith fan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

yeah fish
Adrian Smith fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 10:01 PM   #2332
Lord Xenu
Genocidal God

As a long-time lurker of this thread, I have to thanks all the updaters especially Imre; special thanks from all the lurkers! Keep it up guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Once again: That account was banned becouse it belongs to someone who created such havoc in the forum 2.5 years ago that the Administrators decided to "award" her with a BAN FOR LIFE sentence. Since then 10 - 20 other incarnations of her have been banned.

She's a very inteligent girl though, to bad she has the very unstable and unpredictable dark side ... that even Mr. Hyde would envoy.
ROFL!

Dr Vitalstatistix! I remember you said you didn't like skyscrapers and architecture - I can't believe you are still doing this after 4 years!! :-D - msg me plz!
Old June 7th, 2007, 10:10 PM   #2333
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

What is a Nazi doing on the top floor of Burj Dubai?
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #2334
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Heh. I can't imagine myself working at the office at top of the world while it is moving from the wind.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 10:27 PM   #2335
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
Heh. I can't imagine myself working at the office at top of the world while it is moving from the wind.
Can people really feel the sway on the top of other supertalls? I bet Burj Dubai wouldn't sway much more then the shorter skyscrapers in the wind.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 10:32 PM   #2336
Green Jello

Likes (Received): 23

I was watching a documentary on the Sears Tower once. They were doing a piece on what it is like to work in the top offices on a windy day. They showed this guys cup of coffee on his desk with the liquid gently swaying back and forth. He said on a really bad day, he can't fill it to the top or some will spill out.

They also mentioned that just like on a boat, there are some people who cannot work on the top levels because they get "sea sick"

Quote:
Sears Tower benefits from laminated glass with Butacite® PVB

Laminated glass with DuPont™ Butacite® PVB interlayer saves energy as it beautifies the Sears Tower.

Chicago's Sears Tower is an exceedingly buff member of the tall building pantheon. Should you linger at the base of 233 South Wacker Drive and crane your neck to appreciate the soaring form, you will be impressed.

It rises 1,454 vertical feet - 1,707 feet including antennas. Viewing deck visitors gaze at sizable chunks of America's real estate - Indiana, Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin - and on overcast days, the tops of swirling clouds.

But the true wow factor hits when one considers operating the Sears Tower. The interior sports 25,000 miles of plumbing, 2,000 miles of electrical cable and enough telephone wire to encircle the globe nearly twice. Its 104 elevators are among the speediest in existence, climbing at 1,600 feet per minute. And tuning the environment of the Sears Tower - or any skyscraper, for that matter - for occupant comfort is a precise science.

"We educate tenants that tall buildings do move in the wind," says Michael Flynn, partner at the eminent New York architectural firm Pei, Cobb, Freed and Partners. "People can detect very low levels of motions, but the buildings are designed to withstand the force of wind. In a windy city like Chicago, one could expect to feel motion in a skyscraper more in the winter season and perhaps several times a year in all." For the Sears Tower, average sway is six inches from center, though the edifice can accommodate 12 inches.

Keeping extremely tall buildings at a comfortable temperature demands rigorous attention, as well. "In the United States, tall buildings usually must be air conditioned until the outside temperature falls to freezing," explains Flynn. "The combined heat load of occupants, lights, computers and other equipment is frequently more than the building can lose unassisted even if it's cold outside. When computers were rare, lights generated most of the heat. Now we have efficient lights but more electronics, so the same heat issues apply today as 10 years ago.

"One of the most interesting developments in the high rise industry currently is energy-efficient window glass," he continues. "Companies already are formulating this type of glass. Unlike the old energy-efficient panels, it doesn't block out a lot of visible light."

Nice segue, Mr. Flynn. These days, the Sears Tower is approaching air conditioning needs and occupant comfort from that very angle.

TrizecHahn Corporation recently began replacing the building's 16,000 windows with energy-efficient laminated safety glass made with DuPont™ Butacite® polyvinyl butyral interlayer. Overnight crews toil on the massive job from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. to avoid tenant disruption. Projected completion date for the project is late 2007.

Laminated glass, formed by bonding two glass panes to a plastic interlayer, has been a standard for automotive windshields for 60 years. Used extensively in Europe and Australia for architectural applications, it is found commonly in the United States on horizontal or slanted roofs. With this installation, Sears Tower is showcasing the myriad possibilities of laminated glass to the North American building industry.

The laminated glass fabricator on the job, Minnesota-based Viracon, coated the Sears Tower bronze glass panels with Viracon Solarscreen® cinnamon reflective coating. It reduces glare and possesses a shading coefficient that significantly lowers solar heat gain.

"Cooling costs are much lower with this window system," reports Joe Marks, vice president, sales and marketing for Viracon. "It also eliminates large temperature differences between exterior and interior offices." Energy use reduction has helped the building owner meet goals under the new Energy Star Building Label Program with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Energy.

"Laminated glass with Butacite® absorbs 99 percent of the ultraviolet rays, and this helps protect carpet and furniture from fading," says Jeff Granato, DuPont architectural marketing manager. "But it also reduces the need for artificial lighting by letting lots of visible light - and fabulous views of the skyline - into the work environment."

Architects are extending the utility of laminated glass beyond its environmental attributes. It effectively attenuates external sound, making it especially welcome in large cities like Chicago that tend to be noisy.

The excellent safety profile of laminated glass has been recognized for years outside the United States. The material distinguishes itself when compared with typical safety glass. Challenged by collisions and weather extremes, laminated glass stays in the opening. If broken, the pieces adhere to the inner layer, providing a safety net for tenants inside and passersby below. This quality also provides excellent security at street level by deterring thieves and vandals.

It's no wonder laminated glass is glazing the globe's most prominent buildings, including the world's tallest such as this and the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The award-winning architects of the dual sensation chose laminated safety glass with Butacite® to meet progressive building codes in that country.

"Architects are turning more and more to glass," summarizes Granato. "They are letting in the outdoors with it and even incorporating it as a structural building element. We at DuPont are changing the view that glass is fragile and that we have to live with that hazard in order to enjoy its benefits."

By replacing the 16,000 windows of the Sears Tower, building cooling costs will be slashed, exterior noise dampened, and carpet and furniture protected against fading.

Last edited by Green Jello; June 7th, 2007 at 11:43 PM.
Green Jello no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #2337
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Can people really feel the sway on the top of other supertalls? I bet Burj Dubai wouldn't sway much more then the shorter skyscrapers in the wind.
I remember I stood at the top of WTC tower two years before the 9/11 attacks. I never forget how strong sway it was. Its was awesome but I am not sure if I want to stay at top of really tall supertalls much longer.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #2338
renato1
renato1

Me too, I was there and I can't imagine my life so high from the earth. My first problem would be that I can't see the people who are knocking on my door from my window.... Hihihihi
Old June 7th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #2339
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
normally you shouldn't feel it. maybe in a storm you'll feel it but not much i think
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 11:12 PM   #2340
Escoto_Dubai2008
Dubai, 21st Century City

Likes (Received): 411

How is the cladding today?

Mis Blogs

!Somos seres humanos,....! !Nuestras vidas tienen valor!
Escoto_Dubai2008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote