daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 20th, 2007, 11:37 AM   #2821
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

What happens if you already have a contract in facility managment for Burj Dubai and a company affiliated to Emaar's arch competitor NAKHEEL (developer of The Palm and AL BURJ) happen to get a controlling stake in you?

Well you can find out in this article from ArabianBusiness.com

IMDAAD PHASED OUT OF THE BURJ
by Monika Grzesik on Saturday, 16 June 2007

Facilities management company Imdaad, formerly known as Serco Gulf, is being ‘phased out' of the Burj Dubai project, Construction Week has learned.

Developer Emaar is to replace the company with its own team, which will manage the project.

A spokesperson from Emaar confirmed that an in-house team is to be brought in, but denied any fall out between itself and Imdaad.

"Imdaad's role was to advise Emaar on facilities management issues during the detailed design and construction phases of the project. Emaar is now putting together a dedicated team to manage Burj Dubai once it is completed. As such, Imdaad's role is being phased out while the Emaar team is being put in place. Emaar and Imdaad share a strong working relationship and we are very satisfied with the services provided by Imdaad."

David Mitcham, a consultant at Imdaad, said the company is currently working on the Burj Dubai project in an advisory capacity and plans to continue in that role until no longer required by Emaar.

"There is no contract with Emaar at the moment," he said.

"Our contract finished in 2006 and we've been providing an advisory service since then, which we will continue. We have completed our deliverables and our role will continue, until Emaar needs us. There have not been any disagreements with Emaar. In terms of our role, those that have been on the job have provided an excellent service. We've had a long-standing relationship with Emaar and I'm sure we will continue to do so. There's never been an issue with performance. They've got an enormous asset base and they're starting to bring in a team to manage that in-house."

Imdaad was appointed by Emaar as facilities management consultant in 2005.

Serco International sold its 49% stake in Serco Gulf to investment holding company Istithmar, bringing a close to their existing facilities management joint venture partnership in May.

--------------------

I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2007, 12:48 PM   #2822
joobn

Likes (Received): 2

hi guys! sorry for the long pause, but i had to buy a new camera as i had thrown my other one away accidently, got a new sony cybershot! its awesome but im scared to put it where its humid so i took a photo inside! Im really sorry about the humidity, its just getting hard to take photos and its a new camera... not risking anything for this one!

Just for scale, not for floor count!

Old June 20th, 2007, 12:54 PM   #2823
joobn

oh and my computer crashed so i have to remake the flash files for my site STUPID WINDOWS
Old June 20th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #2824
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 201

Is there any documentary by the Discovery channel about the construction of Burj Dubai?

If so, can you guys give me the link to it on google video or someplace.

I tried looking for it but I can't find it
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #2825
xlchris
Not much

I can't find much, maby this helps;

http://www.discoverychannel.co.uk/ma...ai/index.shtml

There once was something about the Burj Dubai on Mega Builders, i've seen it.
Old June 20th, 2007, 02:33 PM   #2826
Ember-To-Ashes

Likes (Received): 7

http://www.discoverychannel.co.uk/ma...er/index.shtml

this is very intresting, its like a game where u have to build a skyscraper, and answer questions. woo!

my big ben fell down =[ lol
Ember-To-Ashes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 02:33 PM   #2827
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10146

Quote:
Originally Posted by joobn View Post
hi guys! sorry for the long pause, but i had to buy a new camera as i had thrown my other one away accidently, got a new sony cybershot! its awesome but im scared to put it where its humid so i took a photo inside! Im really sorry about the humidity, its just getting hard to take photos and its a new camera... not risking anything for this one!

Just for scale, not for floor count!

hi joobn, thanks for effort. looks bloody tall.
i hate humidity. im in sydney and its unbearable in summer months. but its winter now so its friggen cold.
btw, the tower in foreground uc (Fosters INDEX) looks massive and wider then Burj Dubai but in reality is about same width at 90m+/300ft . just goes to show how tall BurjD is getting.
cheers
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #2828
Skymyhusband
French dwarf

Likes (Received): 60

Thanks Joobn.

Wow, the lens is so clean
Skymyhusband no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #2829
TexasSkyWatcher
Supertall fan #1

As the wings rise I think you guys will see that it could go 808m or higher. Remember they are not fully extended yet.
TexasSkyWatcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 04:22 PM   #2830
Slurms Mackenzie

Likes (Received): 1

Partly Off-Topic

Who puts up the little photos banner at the top of each page? The one of London today was quite surprising...this is almost the exact view out of my office window. In fact, I think my office is the white building just above the trees, just left of the 3 apartment blocks.

I'm working at Arup...designing the structure for a 350m high skyscraper development in Korea. And you can just see the Gherkin in the distance, also an Arup project.

With regard to the concrete block walls on the Burj...I doubt these are shear walls. The shear capacity of a block wall like that is trivial compared with the capacity of the reinforced concrete walls around them. As for 'dry-wall', it's cheap and nasty and this project is for wealthy people who probably expect more for their money. Sure it might be used for some internal partitions. But between separate apartments and around toilets etc, it's pretty standard to use block walls for accoustic requirements etc.

I did notice however, how little regard is paid to this sort of thing when I was in the US...they don't seem to care about hearing the person in the next apartment. Probably because Americans are so loud they can never hear anyone else anyway! But even external walls there are made of flimsy material that just wouldn't be used in other parts of the world. I don't thin kyou can relate it necessarily to climtae because the US has a huge range of climates, as does Australia where I'm from, and there appears to be little correlation between building methods and climate.
Slurms Mackenzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #2831
TexasSkyWatcher
Supertall fan #1

Good point....I detest drywall. We bought a house built in 1900 and there's NO DRYWALL in it!
TexasSkyWatcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #2832
Spandex

Likes (Received): 1

hey

Here is a little photo of the wings in their final height, in case you where wandering
http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?i...rjdubaioa9.jpg
Spandex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #2833
xlchris
Not much

Nice pic
Old June 20th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #2834
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6533

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spandex View Post
Here is a little photo of the wings in their final height, in case you where wandering
http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?i...rjdubaioa9.jpg
why have u removed the core-reconfiguration on the top?
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #2835
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurms Mackenzie View Post
Who puts up the little photos banner at the top of each page? The one of London today was quite surprising...this is almost the exact view out of my office window. In fact, I think my office is the white building just above the trees, just left of the 3 apartment blocks.

I'm working at Arup...designing the structure for a 350m high skyscraper development in Korea. And you can just see the Gherkin in the distance, also an Arup project.

With regard to the concrete block walls on the Burj...I doubt these are shear walls. The shear capacity of a block wall like that is trivial compared with the capacity of the reinforced concrete walls around them. As for 'dry-wall', it's cheap and nasty and this project is for wealthy people who probably expect more for their money. Sure it might be used for some internal partitions. But between separate apartments and around toilets etc, it's pretty standard to use block walls for accoustic requirements etc.

I did notice however, how little regard is paid to this sort of thing when I was in the US...they don't seem to care about hearing the person in the next apartment. Probably because Americans are so loud they can never hear anyone else anyway! But even external walls there are made of flimsy material that just wouldn't be used in other parts of the world. I don't thin kyou can relate it necessarily to climtae because the US has a huge range of climates, as does Australia where I'm from, and there appears to be little correlation between building methods and climate.
Maybe you can share some info on the ARUP projects in Dubai. There are a number of them.
I can cheat you blind.

Old June 20th, 2007, 06:24 PM   #2836
whoami

Likes (Received): 8

the blockworks you see on the mechanical floors are the air plenum wall. notice the slit on the 18th floor slabs, these will be the passage of air from lower mechnical flr to the upper or vice versa. the opening on the blockwqorks will have an active louvres. the cladding on these floors will have a concealed slit on the aluminum frames on some locations as passage for air intake.

obviously it is not s sheare wall. the shear walls are rc located at each inner corner of each leaf of the wings.

It was once said in a documentary that the unit partition walls adds stuctural integrity to the building structure. in other words the inner walls will add rigidity to the building though i doubt it.
whoami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #2837
AltinD
The Modecator

"Height minimum 900 m, evidence soon ..."

waiting ... waiting ... waiting
I can cheat you blind.

Old June 20th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #2838
whoami

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXFallenXx View Post
this might sound stupid, but does anyone know what color the burj dubai will be? i've seen renderings where the burj dubai is blue or black or gold or white, so which is the true color?
thanks to anyone who knows.
the color will depend on the atmosphere, but as one architect (in a documentary film) would put it, 'it will be a silvery monster across the dessert". not blue not black not gold or white but SHINING SILVER 50% of the time.! im talking about during a day.
Old June 20th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #2839
whoami

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
"Height minimum 900 m, evidence soon ..."

waiting ... waiting ... waiting
Old June 20th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #2840
AltinD
The Modecator