daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 27th, 2007, 06:25 AM   #3141
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Don't forget, too, that 'consumer' grade GPS has a normal vertical error of 5 to 10 meters either way (it's normally about 3-4 meters horizontally), so when the GPS receiver says '500 m' for elevation, its actual altitude could be anywhere from about 490 to 510 m.

It's accurate enough to 'instrument' navigate an airplane in the air, but not to land or take off.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2007, 07:30 AM   #3142
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
Don't forget, too, that 'consumer' grade GPS has a normal vertical error of 5 to 10 meters either way (it's normally about 3-4 meters horizontally), so when the GPS receiver says '500 m' for elevation, its actual altitude could be anywhere from about 490 to 510 m.

It's accurate enough to 'instrument' navigate an airplane in the air, but not to land or take off.

Mike
Don't bother, Mike. Skytower will just reply with a model number for the GPS unit and a long explanation about how due to this that and the other, it is accurate to within one millimeter, etc. Seriously, you can't argue with him...lets just get the discussion back to real facts, if possible.
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 07:51 AM   #3143
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

OK Firstly I am NOT getting in the middle of ANY argument. I have many pics of this structure - approaching 5900. I found some and put some text blurbs on them to show what I mean. IMO Skytower is just trying to state what I am about to put here.

The original elevation drawing was followed right up to level 111 before being deviated from. This also follows it and clearly shows that level 1 is 5 levels above the foundation raft. I hope this clears up any confusion over the lower levels of this mighty structure.

This first shot from 05 08 27 is just to show the lowest level. It is not inhabitable, approx 5 or 6 feet high, and I call it 1/2 height.

This shot from 05 11 04 shows the levels up to where level 1 is marked on the concrete.

This from 05 11 04 shows the levels to level 5

Finally this one from 05 12 16 puts them all together up to level 7 but without the markings on the concrete.

In summary - Levels starting from the bottom:
- 1/2 height not inhabitable
- Basement 2
- Basement 1
- Concourse level - 1 1/2 height
- Ground level
- Level 1

Level 1 is approx. 5 levels above the raft.

Now - skipped levels:

We can see they skipped a level between 40 and 45, 70 and 75, and 107 and 111.

Level 138 is the top level of tier 11. With a set of mechanicals at the top of this tier I presume they will skip a level there too. We shall see.
Old June 27th, 2007, 08:15 AM   #3144
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10214

thanks for clearing that up fury! thats what i thought too. lol
the core doesnt lie. we can plainly see it.
5900 photos of burjD? thats excellent, Its a once in a lifetime structure.
cheers
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #3145
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 330

Thanks Fury for explaining that!

I knew there was something even from awhile ago but couldn't pin it down. I've seen more than a couple numbering / floor labels that seem to incorrectly show the floors of a building UC (or so it appears anyway) so I thought that something was off. In reality of course, they just skipped a few floors. My only thoughts were that the higher floors combined in the MEP sections equate to 3 floors total despite being two actual levels (the height of 3 normal floors), so they in essence don't need a 41st, 74th or 110th floor; and furthermore because the walls don't label those floors, it can be confusing. But at the same time, we don't lose the height of a truly skipped floor so it's all good. Another check is to just look at the spacing of the arrows - pretty much equal distance apart regardless of how many floors make up the height between arrows.

I'm just enjoying reading back and forth - forget the taking sides or arguing . I guess I'm just curious as to why they'd skip a few floors. Forgive me if it was mentioned before but I can't seem to recall the reason if one was given.

I wouldn't worry about the height though... If 137 is MEP then it's higher so even if the boards or sites are off... they have to pump only once and they're past 500 meters . In other words, why complain about the height? It's surely past the mark by now anyway. Congrats BD!

I'd love to see this hit the news (documentary aside from the Discovery's special I mean) once it's passed Taipei 101's height.

Last edited by The-Real-Link; June 27th, 2007 at 10:04 AM.
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #3146
BlackSmith!
Peace sells...

Likes (Received): 6

I think that floor count should go by numbers on the tower - so 136 now. Now where does Emaar measures height from and where does Sky Tower measures height from? From level 1, ground level or concourse level? And which is official and will count as official height of Burj Dubai when completed?
BlackSmith! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #3147
James R. Hawkwood
Imperator

Likes (Received): 7

Like i said: Time will tell the entire story off this beauty

And yes Sky-Tower i am disagree politly because i have some bad expieriences off my disagreeing not so politly and there for i was bashed up via the verbal way.

Hmmmmm i have a question: What is Fury trying to clear things up??? I would like to have some simple but good explanation and yes you see that my English isnt the best off the lot but i hope you understand it clearly and anwser my question.

Cheers SSC brothers
Old June 27th, 2007, 06:21 PM   #3148
DocShergar
He's a beauty!

Likes (Received): 6

From what i can gather Fury is trying to clear up which level measurements start from and the current height.

But in saying that and looking over his post it clearly shows whats going on with the lower levels but it does not state where measurements are starting from.

Sky Tower can no doubt confirm this clearly at some point
Old June 27th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #3149
idkblk
-InQontrol-

Likes (Received): 2

I've never head about a crap like "subjective" measurement. Everyone should stick to the facts. Most useful way in my opinion is to use the numbers printed on the walls. Although you have to remember that there are some floors missing in that.

Subjetive floorcount!? By setting a personal point of origine... what possible reason should that have?
So if i dont like the project i just start counting the floors on the level, that most others see as floor no 100.
And when i like the project and want to "improve" some facts a litle bit to sound cooler i just dig a hole right in the foundation just to get a few meters deeper to count from?

Sorry Skytower, don't get it, but i dont have the intention to offend you.
idkblk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #3150
pauldxb

Likes (Received): 1

Hi Guys im new to this thread i have just returned from Dubai, the only thing i have to say is i cant wait to see Al Burj but the funniest fact about the Burj Dubai is the fact that the Sheikh has kept 3 cranes on top so if the tower in Malaysia goes higher he can go even higher. This begs one question. Why be so concerned if you plan to build Al Burj ????

Anyone know what Burj means ???? Tower possibly ?
pauldxb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 07:49 PM   #3151
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6555

indeed, burj means tower
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 08:15 PM   #3152
idkblk
-InQontrol-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldxb View Post

[...]the funniest fact about the Burj Dubai is the fact that the Sheikh has kept 3 cranes on top[...]
What do you mean with "has kept"? The construction is by far not finished yet so why should they have been "kept"???

To the Al Burj: It's still in a proposal state, construction has not even begun. If it will be built it still will take several years to catch up with the burj dubai at its actual height... and even a year more to catch up to the burj dubai final height.
Me personal, i dont believe in the Al Burj project until construction really starts.
When i see it in diagrams i cant believe building such an massive construction with a volume that could swallow the burj dubai more then 1 time...

Also the shape of burj dubai (with its setbacks) has a function of spreading the weight load to a big area. And i cant imagine that such a tall "block" construction like Al Burj will work in near future.

Last edited by idkblk; June 27th, 2007 at 08:21 PM.
Old June 27th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #3153
giovani kun
====(^.^)====

Likes (Received): 559

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhenrik View Post
June 25th 2007 - Level 137 - Height 500.33m - Now having the tallest roof height of any highrise building in the world!
I agree withh the height this is the correct one
giovani kun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 08:57 PM   #3154
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.
Thanx for your kind words guys. James and Doc - I have no idea where they "measure" from. I was only trying to show how the lower levels are ordered. Personally I also go by the level numbers on the structure. I find the complexity of the tiers and levels very interesting. I have made 4 presentations over the last 2 years with the changes from others thoughts and info from this great forum. The last one is a 4 pager I did in excel that I believe is very close to what is happening now and what is known for the future on this structure.

As new info comes out I will revise it or make a new one - now if i we could get ahold of those plans from one who will remain nameless - ALTIND - perhaps I could start on a new one.
Old June 27th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #3155
Dubai Spacescraper

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkblk View Post
To the Al Burj: It's still in a proposal state, construction has not even begun. Me personal, i don't believe in the Al Burj project until construction really starts. And i cant imagine that such a tall "block" construction like Al Burj will work in near future.
Think again, soil testing has already began.

What is the final verdict? is Sky Tower right? I find it difficult to believe that once they finish the building EMAAR will tell us, "Oh, BTW, we lied the whole time, its actually 25m taller, ha"
Dubai Spacescraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 09:20 PM   #3156
idkblk
-InQontrol-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai Spacescraper View Post
Think again, soil testing has already began.
I dont see this as construction. Construction begins for me when they are digging a hole
Old June 27th, 2007, 11:21 PM   #3157
X236K

Likes (Received): 46

I think all the quarrels about the current height are caused by different definition of "current height". Lets clarify this! We need to know the bottom and top points to measure the building from/to.

Do we measure the height from building base, ground level, concourse level or level 1 floor to the top of last completed floor or top of concrete structure? Where is the GPS exactly situated? Where is the real ground level going to be? Based on the picture bellow the concourse level is under the ground. I dont understand this. Anyone could explain...?

On this picture we can see the level 1 floor is obviously above the ground level (thanks, Fury).

If the official EMAAR figure is defined as the height from the 1st level floor to the roof of last completed level (correct me plese if I'm wrong, I didnt study details), then it's obvious that other figures (from the ground) may vary.

So, Skytower, to explain everyone your figures, you should make some easy drawing and highlight where is the GPS placed and what is the point you measure the height from. Before that, you cannot expect anyone to well understand your claims.
X236K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 11:21 PM   #3158
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovani kun View Post
I agree withh the height this is the correct one
What is your reasoning behind this?
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 12:57 AM   #3159
pendolasco

Likes (Received): 50