daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 28th, 2007, 01:23 AM   #3161
hemelboorder

Likes (Received): 87

painful ears [2]

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrekroma View Post
O I C. Thanks.

I swallow 1-3 times to ease my ears to get to 40th fl. This is 170 fl. Just think it'll be a bit frustrated to do that to get ground floor/ or to that height. If forget the key, had to pass all painful ear process again.

But I think other people dont have such stupid problems like I do.
Going up to an altitude like the Burj Dubai observation deck will probably give ear pain to all visitors. And to those living and working there as well. A possible solution is of course a pressurized interior, like you find in an airplane. But so far I haven't read anywhere that this is going to be implemented.
hemelboorder no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2007, 01:26 AM   #3162
k.03

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemelboorder View Post
A possible solution is of course a pressurized interior, like you find in an airplane. But so far I haven't read anywhere that this is going to be implemented.
That doesn't sound feasible anyway. Imagine, you couldn't open a single window, no outside observation deck etc...
k.03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 01:57 AM   #3163
fahed
Mr Anti

Likes (Received): 1

just swallow your saliva and you'll be fine
Old June 28th, 2007, 02:09 AM   #3164
hemelboorder

Likes (Received): 87

painful ears [3]

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrekroma View Post
O I C. Thanks.

I swallow 1-3 times to ease my ears to get to 40th fl. This is 170 fl. Just think it'll be a bit frustrated to do that to get ground floor/ or to that height. If forget the key, had to pass all painful ear process again.

But I think other people dont have such stupid problems like I do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.03 View Post
That doesn't sound feasible anyway. Imagine, you couldn't open a single window, no outside observation deck etc...
Take a look at the glass panels that have been installed so far ... it doesn't look like you can open a window in even a single one of them, does it?
hemelboorder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 02:19 AM   #3165
k.03

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Take a look at the glass panels that have been installed so far ... it doesn't look like you can open a window in even a single one of them, does it?
That's true. But I guess the isolation needed for pressurisation would be too costly.
k.03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 02:36 AM   #3166
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Picasa - Errol Hugh - June 07:

more shots of the previously posted 27 foot model

level 112 - first level of tier 10

tier 10 - one of levels 113 to 123

Photog says all from June 2007 ( no exif data ). The plans kinda look like either observation decks or sky lobbies for elevator transfer. Perhaps 112 is a transfer level and the second plan is level 123, the lower level of the obs decks.

Old June 28th, 2007, 02:37 AM   #3167
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

The building won't be airlocked of course, but I don't think ear problem will be much of an issue for most people. Seven hundred meters isn't THAT much compared to mountains and hills. Consider that in a small unpressurized airplane (like a Cessna 206 or something) you go up a lot higher and a lot faster than you will even with the fast elevators of the Burj Dubai.
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:15 AM   #3168
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi all.

Photog says all from June 2007 ( no exif data ). The plans kinda look like either observation decks or sky lobbies for elevator transfer. Perhaps 112 is a transfer level and the second plan is level 123, the lower level of the obs decks.

Sorry but going to have to respectfully disagree with you there Fury. Just looking at the plans shows what appear to be two typical office floors. Not a cubicle city but many nice relatively open desks and meeting rooms for a small business (extention of a much larger company most likely if they can afford an office in BD). Maybe the core is a transfer level but the actual open spaces are office in both those shots. It could also just showcase a typical floor usage for floors 111 to 123, not that they'll all look like that. The ob decks will look quite different!

Hollie - I thought I had read in one of the linked articles over tons of these pages that the elevators are similar to those in Taipei 101 but slightly faster. The observatory express elevators in Taipei 101 are of a rounded shape to lower drag, accoustically and hermetically sealed, and will start pressurization once the doors close (or so the articles say). You might need to get used to a little adjustment but if they can pressureize the cabin on the way up, I don't think it'd be quite as painful. Whether every elevator in BD though offers this sophistification, is something we'll have to find out later about (though I'd think probably not).
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:47 AM   #3169
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Hi all.

Picasa - Errol Hugh - June 07:

more shots of the previously posted 27 foot model

27feet = 8.23m or scale 1;100.= 823metres. thats pretty close to 818m ;-)
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 06:17 AM   #3170
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Thats cool Cul. I have 7 other pics of that model from over a year ago and a google video of the making of it - rather poor quality though. Perhaps a google video search would find it ? Can't wait for your July drawing - always a treat - regards.

Real - I think you are correct. Good eye man.

Old June 28th, 2007, 06:27 AM   #3171
3Ironhead3

Likes (Received): 21

I have a real dumbass question.I haven't read all the specs for this building but am wondering what is their contingency plan for emergencies?
3Ironhead3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 06:32 AM   #3172
shrekroma
TH

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
pressurized interior,
I guess the problem will mostly occur to very few people who go up/down very often in a day. But they'll problably get familiar to that finally

Actually, for people who live/work up there, I dont think they expect to go up/down much often( 10+ times a day)
shrekroma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 07:41 AM   #3173
CULWULLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ironhead3 View Post
I have a real dumbass question.I haven't read all the specs for this building but am wondering what is their contingency plan for emergencies?
parachutes under everyones desks? being a solid concrete structure im sure a fire would be swiflty contained to the floor of fire.? i could be wrong. does anyone know what fire evac is?
Old June 28th, 2007, 08:15 AM   #3174
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

lol

I can image it...

*this is not a drill! Please make your way to your nearest tier and prepare for an emergency parachute jump!*

There are actually containment rooms which are firs proof built with separate life support and ventilation systems for survival during a fire. I dont know the details of it but its some of the most modern and expensive emergency planning of any building ever built!
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 08:46 AM   #3175
CULWULLA

im 1.82m, and at 1'500 scale, im 900m. i took this of sydney model today which is 1'500scale, hence view from 750m high. about as high as BurjD spire roof.
wow
image hosted on flickr
Old June 28th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #3176
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5224

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
parachutes under everyones desks? being a solid concrete structure im sure a fire would be swiflty contained to the floor of fire.? i could be wrong. does anyone know what fire evac is?
parachutes under everyone's desk?? hmm that's a good idea, but the question is.. How r they going to open the windows??

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 09:56 AM   #3177
beyond 1000
BANNED

Likes (Received): 74

Let's see here, several here are claiming 494m and Skytower claims 500m. According to some consensus here he is up by 6m and you guys are doing a big crapfest about it? One of the reasons I no longer want to post in this thread.

Skytower has explained from where they are going to take height measurments from and they are using higher grade GPS instruments. I believe Skytower's 500m height. Emaar has shown they never post correctly even in number of floors. Skytower gets readings from the source.

At this point I do NOT believe Skytower is a liar.
beyond 1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 12:44 PM   #3178
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
im 1.82m, and at 1'500 scale, im 900m. i took this of sydney model today which is 1'500scale, hence view from 750m high. about as high as BurjD spire roof.
wow
believe me culwulla, in reality that view will be 100 times better!
ZZ-II está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 01:41 PM   #3179
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

28/June/2007

Burj Dubai update

500 m??

Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 02:20 PM   #3180
James R. Hawkwood
Imperator