daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 28th, 2007, 03:00 PM   #3181
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by James R. Hawkwood View Post
Thanks for the pics Imre
Here for you:

Hey Cull. I am 1,86 Meters tall

You = 1,82M * 500 = 910 Meter high "Skyscraper"
Me = 1,86M * 500 = 930 Meters tall "scraper"

Cheers Cullwulla
thanks

Me= 1,88m*500=940 meters tall
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2007, 03:10 PM   #3182
BlackSmith!
Peace sells...

Likes (Received): 6

one floor more, thus 137 and 497 meters? Must be somewhere here
BlackSmith! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #3183
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6533

must be between 497m and 500m.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #3184
Dennis
Rotterdam

Likes (Received): 10

Old June 28th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #3185
Jarenz
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1303

@ Imre... tnx for the upate pix....
wow, taller than expected
Jarenz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #3186
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10146

imre to the rescue!!
i think both fl137 and fl138 plant levels are 7m high, so if its fl137 = 500m!!!!
yey 5/8 of eventual height.lol
hate to state the obvious, but how bloody tall is it looking??? its 500m and still 318m or Chrylser Building to be stacked on top!! just jaw dropping/
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 04:22 PM   #3187
Vekkis

Likes (Received): 0

5th mech lvls are 136,137,138 and lvl 136 was 5m high so i believe that 137 and 138 are also 5m high making the 5th mech floors 15m high in total (3 lvls, 2 floors). The current height would be then 498m.
Old June 28th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #3188
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Tower View Post
It's more official than burjdubai.com.
No it`s not. EMAAR is the developer behind the Burj Dubai.
If you say that the Burj Dubai is taller than the Taipei 101 than only we will talk about that.
If EMAAR say that the Burj Dubai is taller than the current WTB, then i expect to see many news about it in the newspaper and on TV.

EMAAR is official.

A other thing is also funny. The biggest Burj Dubai fans right now jumped very late on the Burj Dubai fan wave. I think many of the fans right know didin`t believed it will be really build when i already stood at the EMAAR sales office and overlooked the site in April 2005.

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #3189
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vekkis View Post
5th mech lvls are 136,137,138 and lvl 136 was 5m high so i believe that 137 and 138 are also 5m high making the 5th mech floors 15m high in total (3 lvls, 2 floors). The current height would be then 498m.
im pretty sure there more then 5m. especially 137 & 138. They have to be to add up to 507m tier12, thus the reasoning.i think even skytower would agree?
Anyway just add 318m Chrylser Building on top and we have eventual height! 818m!!

CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #3190
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Please Cul ... why you had to post the picture of the ENTIRE building and ruined for me.

(I LOVED the top part, and is really IMPRESSIVE when you see it in real life, more then almost everything else I've ever seen, but the bottom half ... )
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #3191
Imre
Dubai

Coming up in Dubai: the world's 'tallest' building

Dubai, June 27 (IANS) The pattern of the virtually extinct desert flower Hymenocallis is the inspiration behind what is going to become the world's tallest building in this desert boomtown in the next one month or so.

The Burj Dubai tower will not be conferred the title of the world's tallest building officially yet by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH) as it is still under construction. But it will unofficially become the world's tallest building once it crosses the 509-metre mark of the now tallest building in the world, the Taipei 101, by early August.

As of now, the tower is a little over 480 metres - '132 floors and rising', proclaims a signboard near this architectural marvel.

'The building will be ready for inauguration by December 2008,' Scott Pottruss, director of development in Emaar Properties, the real estate giant behind this imposing structure, told a visiting Indian media team on the 106th floor of the tower. Construction had started in 2004.

This iconic super-tower is the flagship component of downtown Burj Dubai, touted as 'the most prestigious square kilometre in the world' by developers Emaar.

It is one of the two anchors of downtown Burj Dubai, the other being The Dubai Mall, which is going to be the world's largest mall. And the mall will house an aquarium, which again will be the world's largest.

Downtown Burj Dubai is an integration of residences, commercial space, hospitality projects, retail outlets, boulevards, landscaped parks and lakes.

As of now, 143 floors of the Burj tower are already sold out. And the going rate is 4,000 dirhams (1 US dollar = roughly 3 dirhams) a square foot.

Designed by Chicago-based Skidmore, Owings and & Merrill, the Burj Dubai tower is being constructed by high-rise experts South Korea's Samsings Corporation. Turner Construction International is the project and construction manager.

In all, 35,000 people will populate this tower, which will comprise a hotel, private apartments and office space.

The centrepiece of the tower will be a haute couture Giorgio Armani Hotel in the first 37 floors. Floors 45 through 108 will have private apartments while the rest of the floors will have corporate offices and suites.

There will also be recreational facilities and entertainment venues including four luxurious pools and a cigar club, a library, exclusive residents' lounge, serviced residences and 15,000 sq ft of fitness facilities.

An observatory deck on the 124th floor or 442 metres above ground will be the world's highest publicly accessible observation deck.

As for safety aspects, the super tower will have a unique fire safety system.

'People need not run to the ground floor in case a fire breaks out,' said Pottruss. 'There will be refugee zones at various levels, where people can wait for rescue operations.'

Overall, the structure will be a reflection of Islamic motifs based on the Hymenocallis flower. From a broad base, the building tapers off as it rises, with a steel shaft shooting up at the top.

As 3,000 workers work in multiple shifts to meet the December 2008 deadline, the tower is changing the Dubai skyline every few days.

'Almost 23 billion man hours are have been put in till now,' Roger Krishnamurthy, the Indian safety head at the construction site, said.

For trivia buffs, here are a few facts about the building: the Burj Dubai's spire can be seen by a person 95 km away on a clear day; the building service/fireman's elevator will have a capacity of 5,500 kg and will be the world's tallest service elevator; the curtain wall of the building will be equivalent to 17 football fields; and the concrete used for the building is equal to a sidewalk 1,900 km long!

'Burj Dubai will ever present on the skyline and the centre of the new city,' according to the monument's designer Adrian Smith, whose other works include the Trump International Hotel and NBC Tower in Chicago, the Jin Mao Tower in Shanghai and the Rowes Wharf in Boston. 'It will bring a sense of awe and wonder to a city that already contains such traits and will redefine the limits of these words.'

andhracafe.com
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #3192
Julito-dubai
Yes We Can !

Location: Nanjing (CN), Beijing (CN), Braunschweig (GER), Dubai (UAE)
Likes (Received): 254

next week we will have a new WTB !!!
Julito-dubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #3193
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond 1000 View Post

Skytower has explained from where they are going to take height measurments from and they are using higher grade GPS instruments. I believe Skytower's 500m height. Emaar has shown they never post correctly even in number of floors. Skytower gets readings from the source.

At this point I do NOT believe Skytower is a liar.
Yes, but what is the source of his GPS readings? We know that it isn't "Professor Baudin of Besix" like he used to tell us it was. I haven't heard any explanations at all about the source of his readings.
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #3194
DocShergar
He's a beauty!

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Please Cul ... why you had to post the picture of the ENTIRE building and ruined for me.

(I LOVED the top part, and is really IMPRESSIVE when you see it in real life, more then almost everything else I've ever seen, but the bottom half ... )
I agree.
This is the first time i've actually seen the bottom half believe it or not!! Now i wish i hadn't seen it
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:41 PM   #3195
>skyscraper<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imre View Post
But it will unofficially become the world's tallest building once it crosses the 509-metre mark of the now tallest building in the world, the Taipei 101, by early August.
Why in August, the Burj Dubai grows in 3-4 days one floor, or? The burj dubai will be next or in 2 weeks the highest skyscraper in the world.
>skyscraper< no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #3196
big3etr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imre View Post
Coming up in Dubai: the world's 'tallest' building

As of now, 143 floors of the Burj tower are already sold out. And the going rate is 4,000 dirhams (1 US dollar = roughly 3 dirhams) a square foot.

$1333.33 per square foot? This can't be accurate can it? Woooow that's expensive...hehehe

Jim

Last edited by big3etr; June 28th, 2007 at 06:01 PM.
big3etr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #3197
eurafega
1.000.000% Maracucho

Likes (Received): 4

first time i post in this thread and i only have one word:

WOW!!!

i'm an computer engineer, but i have a true passion for these types of constructions...does anyone have a spare bed to welcome me to Dubai?

i can't wait to go over there...
eurafega no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 06:00 PM   #3198
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

No...what it is saying is that 3 dirhams is one dollar. But the prices are 4,000 dirhams per square foot.
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #3199
eurafega
1.000.000% Maracucho

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by big3etr View Post
$1 per square foot? This can't be accurate can it?

Jim
1 us dollar = 3 dirhams...

price of square foot: 4000 dirhams
price of square foot in us dollars: 1.333,33...

did you really think a square foot of this marvelous pice of art would cost 1 dollar?

by the way, i live in maracaibo, venezuela....and to the actual date the burj dubai is 6 times taller that the tallest building in my city
eurafega no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #3200
Imre
Dubai

1 USD =3,65 AED