daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 29th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #3221
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

it'll be big news in canada and ontario once it surpasses the CN Tower. I doubt most people are aware of that right now.
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2007, 08:45 PM   #3222
BlackSmith!
Peace sells...

Likes (Received): 6

5927 workers on site?!?! Where? I see only a guy putting up the emaar flag. And every now and than few people are installing the glass. Where have almost 6000 workers gone
BlackSmith! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #3223
Mr. Alloy
Modulator

Thanks.

Okay, let's get back on topic, seriously.

(Or Dec. 30, 2008. Whatev.)

Guess the final height of the Burj Dubai and get a shiny plaque!
Mr. Alloy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #3224
Mr. Alloy
Modulator

A thought occurred to me... A lot of you have been talking about media coverage. Well, as we can all imagine, there will probably be a fair bit of media coverage when it passes Taipei 101. Maybe the developers realized that, and knowing that there would be a lag in the construction progress because of the mech. floors, decided to start the cladding just in time to show some progress when it passed T101.

If that's true, there should be an explosion of cladding in the next week or so.

(Or Dec. 30, 2008. Whatev.)

Guess the final height of the Burj Dubai and get a shiny plaque!
Mr. Alloy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #3225
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban.kovac View Post
5927 workers on site?!?! Where? I see only a guy putting up the emaar flag. And every now and than few people are installing the glass. Where have almost 6000 workers gone
More than likely 1/2 of them are inside the structure egs. mechanical engineers, elctricians, plumbers etc etc.

Thanks for all those wonderful pic updates Imre. You are truly a gem!
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #3226
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

People, this is an reinforced CONCRETE structure and not an open up metallic one.

Three factors are here:

First being of concrete, the floor plates, the inner and outer walls are poured simultaneously so obviously you can't see someone behind a solid wall. In case of a metallic structure, only the skeleton is build, there are no floor plates, no side walls, no outer and no inner walls, so everybody working in there would be visible by the naked eye of a bystander.

Second: Concrete is cast with closed forms, while steel beams have to be put in place and bolted together manually so there will be workers on the edges of the structure doing all that stuff, while this isn't the case with the concrete structure.

Third: They are using form work (that yellow colored staff) when constructing everything from vertical walls to the horizontal floor plates, and the form work has vertical barriers to the edges to shield the people working there from the elements and protect them from falling down or simply feeling dizzy, so one more obstruction there.

Hope I was able to explain (with my crappy English skills)
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #3227
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

come on Altin, your english isn't bad
ZZ-II está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #3228
PowerCityFreak
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

not advertised

I think there are a few reasons why this huge project doesn't receive much media coverage, and I don't think that it's because 99.9% of the people don't give a damn about tall skyscrapers, though it can be said of most mediocre people. I think there is around 5% of people who are skyscrapers enthusiasts, like us.

First, Dubai is an obscure city, it's not a hype city, it's not on Hollywood movies too frequently and many people don't even know how to locate it on a map, it's not western, it's not on the famous traingle, China, Japan, America. If it were in NYC, 90% of the 6 billion human population would know it by now.

I think those folks in Dubai are trying to draw attention from the world to their sgnificance, how high tech they can be, that they can compete in equality of conditions in the field of their adversaries, by showing that they can rise to the civilized world standards.

Okay guys, give me a break, I was not too inspired, looks like I had something interesting to say about it, my my mind went blank.
PowerCityFreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 10:47 PM   #3229
PowerCityFreak
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

But, my main concern is, won't this skyscraper be a main target for terrorism???

i wouldn't feel so safe if i was there...
PowerCityFreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 10:55 PM   #3230
cs88
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCityFreak View Post
But, my main concern is, won't this skyscraper be a main target for terrorism???

i wouldn't feel so safe if i was there...
It's very unlikely....
cs88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 11:54 PM   #3231
jhalsey

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCityFreak View Post
I think there are a few reasons why this huge project doesn't receive much media coverage, and I don't think that it's because 99.9% of the people don't give a damn about tall skyscrapers, though it can be said of most mediocre people. I think there is around 5% of people who are skyscrapers enthusiasts, like us.

First, Dubai is an obscure city, it's not a hype city, it's not on Hollywood movies too frequently and many people don't even know how to locate it on a map, it's not western, it's not on the famous traingle, China, Japan, America. If it were in NYC, 90% of the 6 billion human population would know it by now.

I think those folks in Dubai are trying to draw attention from the world to their sgnificance, how high tech they can be, that they can compete in equality of conditions in the field of their adversaries, by showing that they can rise to the civilized world standards.

Okay guys, give me a break, I was not too inspired, looks like I had something interesting to say about it, my my mind went blank.
jhalsey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #3232
jhalsey

Likes (Received): 181

Incorrect. Everyone knows where Dubai is. Particularly the clued-in architecture fans like myself!
jhalsey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 12:20 AM   #3233
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5222

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhalsey View Post
Incorrect. Everyone knows where Dubai is. Particularly the clued-in architecture fans like myself!
yeah, like us... but most people dont even know what dubai means. hehe

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 11:02 AM   #3234
The_Dude
Future Architect

Likes (Received): 24

A very good idea beyond 1000. Even better though would be everyong getting back on topic, we're close, we're now discussing what a Dubai is soon maybe we'll again be talking about the reason for this thread...Burj Freakin' Dubai! Some people are ignorant and it's far easier to let them remain that way than to try, and fail, to educate them, only time can do that. So mechanical floors will be taking up the near future, any bets on how much glass will be installed in the coming weeks when the tower itself is growing so slowly? Will the construction of the mech levels free up more personel to install the cladding?

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; July 2nd, 2007 at 05:05 PM.
The_Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 11:21 AM   #3235
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10113

guys, argue somewhere else. lets try to limit this thread to construction photos and chat/info.
thanks
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 01:40 PM   #3236
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10113

it will be a few days until lev138 is reached so maybe only cladding to keep an eye on. i think late next week it will reach tier12/507m/138.due to mech floors reconfig.
it will then be there for a week or so before it starts to rise again into the 140;s.when it resumes to typical floors. it then should rise every 3 days.straight up 18 floors to tier 16/586m!!! maybe.?lol

Last edited by CULWULLA; June 30th, 2007 at 01:50 PM.
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #3237
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

by Dubai Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai Freak View Post
Nipped round the corner of the Mercarto Mall to check the view to SZR and

The Burj Dubai shimmering in the mid-day Heat haze, almost looking superimposed on the skyline . . . .

Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #3238
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

imagine that pic with the completed tower !!
ZZ-II está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #3239
TexasSkyWatcher
Supertall fan #1

Wow, lots of wadded panties about the height thing. My take is that the only consistent input we have on height involves both SkyTower's numbers and Imre's photos. My hat's off to both of you for fine work. There are always going to be folks who dog people that bother to chronicle things like this. Some also attack newer members instead of just pointing out that they may have missed a post or two in the middle.

I am a member of 9 forums and see this nit-picking crap daily...sure is a waste of forum time and space IMNSHO. Speaking of bandwidth, could those who quote PLEASE stop reposting the myriad of great photos in the quoted post only to post a one liner comment?

Back on track....so how long until T101 is surpassed?
TexasSkyWatcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #3240
newyorkrunaway1
Skyscraper Guru

Likes (Received): 8

movin' on up
movin' on up
to that deluxe apartment in the skyyyyyyyy....

lol

fast progess!
newyorkrunaway1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote