daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 2nd, 2007, 06:42 AM   #3301
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Alloy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalliTooL View Post
Military base.

?
It is the Combine Citadel
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2007, 07:27 AM   #3302
Sentient Seas
Industrial Twilight

Likes (Received): 42

I was under the impression that it was to be used for office space and a hotel, along with a few other things I can't remember. I could be wrong though.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 07:36 AM   #3303
Mr. Alloy
Modulator

Likes (Received): 2

Mostly office, plus hotel, condos, and shopping.

Don't quote me on that.

(Or Dec. 30, 2008. Whatev.)

Guess the final height of the Burj Dubai and get a shiny plaque!
Mr. Alloy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 09:29 AM   #3304
vader11

Likes (Received): 9

Has it passed T101 yet?
vader11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 09:54 AM   #3305
Mr. Alloy
Modulator

Likes (Received): 2

No. That isn't going to happen for several more weeks because there are mech. floors.

Again, the Burj Dubai will not surpass the height of Taipei 101 for several more weeks because mechanical floors are currently being constructed.

Alright, now people can stop asking.

(Or Dec. 30, 2008. Whatev.)

Guess the final height of the Burj Dubai and get a shiny plaque!
Mr. Alloy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 10:21 AM   #3306
MetalliTooL

Likes (Received): 20

^ Although for some reason Emaar states that the mech floors have been completed.
MetalliTooL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 10:35 AM   #3307
DocShergar
He's a beauty!

Likes (Received): 6

Thanks for that great update Altin.

After 4 pages of total crap (Most of which i skipped), your pictures brightened my monday morning
Old July 2nd, 2007, 11:21 AM   #3308
BlackSmith!
Peace sells...

Likes (Received): 6

I think Emaar is wrong and 498.2 is height for level 137 - level 136 was 492.9 Thats 5.3m high floor which is normal for the plant floors. It just couldnt be two floors of 2.65m each!! Level 138 should be around 503m.
BlackSmith! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 11:34 AM   #3309
TohrAlkimista

Likes (Received): 886

if they are building the new mechanical floor, why don't they concentrate a little bit more to the cladding? They are in late, this new version doesn't fit well as the other one?
TohrAlkimista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 12:23 PM   #3310
pingyao
Virtual Architect

Likes (Received): 200

I think the Burj has to be the most photograpically documented skyscraper construction in history. CAn't wait for the glass. Once that cladding goes on the whole feel of this will completely change. we've got used to seeing this thing as skeletal.
pingyao no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 01:33 PM   #3311
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohrAlkimista View Post
if they are building the new mechanical floor, why don't they concentrate a little bit more to the cladding? They are in late, this new version doesn't fit well as the other one?
Constructing the structure of the tower and cladding it are done by two different contractors JV, so work on the 138th by the former can't effect in any way that of the later on the floor 19 - 23.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 02:46 PM   #3312
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10101

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban.kovac View Post
I think Emaar is wrong and 498.2 is height for level 137 - level 136 was 492.9 Thats 5.3m high floor which is normal for the plant floors. It just couldnt be two floors of 2.65m each!! Level 138 should be around 503m.
yes i thought it to should be 500m to lev137. but i do know that lev138 is an enormous mech floor.definaetly over 6m high.its one of the last big plantrooms to serve lower 25 floors or so.
you can see on this little render>
http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/8...jrenderzt0.jpg
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 05:22 PM   #3313
James R. Hawkwood
Imperator

Likes (Received): 7

Iff you compare the diagram/render Cullwulla has posted with the images that where made by altin. Then they are now starting the construction off the Mechanical floors right now and henche we have got to wait for a few weeks until those floors are completed and continious its march towards the beloved WTB title.

Cheers
Old July 2nd, 2007, 05:27 PM   #3314
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Superstructures of Dubai

From a small pearl-fishing village to an oil-rich city, Dubai has made rapid inroads to emerge as one of the well-known cosmopolitan cities and powerful economies in the world in a very short span of time. A free port, Dubai was popular for electronics, perfumes, gold and designer wear earlier; however now, the city is fast evolving into a realty hub. Stable currency, strong economy, high investment returns, virtually 0% crime rate, vast career opportunities and a clean society are some of the criteria for investing in Dubai real estate.

The real estate boom commenced in Dubai in May 2002, when HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the then Crown Prince of Dubai and the UAE Defense Minister and the present Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Shaikh of Dubai, announced 100% freehold ownership of properties at certain locales in Dubai for all nationalities. Since then, Dubai has experienced a heavy inrush of realty buyers that continues to gather momentum steadily. Dubai is now more synonymous with pioneering towers, modern world’s architectural wonders and skyscrapers.

Ever since man walked the earth, it has always been his endeavor to dominate his surroundings to display his assumed supremacy. This could be best done by constructing magnificently tall and prominent structures. The Pyramids, the Colosseum, the Castles and the Cathedrals were built to express and confirm the dominating position of those who built them. In fact, building the largest or the tallest structures in the world is strongly associated with the most dominant powers of the time.

At present, there are six skyscrapers under construction in Dubai. They are, namely, iconic Burj Dubai, slated to be tallest tower in the world; Burj Al Alam, billed as the tallest residential tower in the world with 108 floors; Marina 101, housing the highest hotel in the world with 101 floors; Princess Tower, one of the highest residential towers in Dubai with 107 floors and Pentominium, the world’s tallest penthouse tower with 120 floors. All of these high-rises are in different phases of planning and construction. The frontrunner among these is the Burj Dubai, which has one floor added to it per week, and is now the second tallest tower in the world at a height of 468.1 m (1,535.8 ft) and 130 storeys. The work on Al Burj has not yet commenced but it is expected to have somewhere between 180 to 200 storeys.

Dubai has one of the highest numbers of towers and skyscrapers under construction on both sides of Shaikh Zayed Road, the upcoming new Dubai. More than 1,850 are in pipeline to be constructed at the Dubai World Central Airport City in Jebel Ali. The work on these super-towers will be complete only by 2015. These skyscrapers are much talked about not merely for their majestic height but also for their designs, architecture and aesthetics.

Although construction of skyscrapers is very expensive, yet it provides large revenues. Conventionally, the tallest towers in the world have become the hub of economic development and usually attract the powerful diplomats, wealthy businessmen, tourists and artists from all over the world. Therefore, superstructures are not only built to express and establish power, but also to assert and accumulate it. With 6 super-towers on various stages of construction in Dubai, the position and importance of the city is sure to rise. When all the towers are complete by 2015 with more than 100 floors, Dubai will be the only city to have several towers with more than 100 floors.

Apart from these skyscrapers, Dubai is also famous its Burj Al Arab, the sail-shaped 7-star hotel; and the Emirates Towers, twin towers with offices and hotel. These structures are not only reputed for their impressive heights but also are the most photographed towers in Dubai due to their striking designs and aesthetic appeal.

Name of the Building
Developer
Height
No. of Floors
Purpose

Al Burj
Nakheel
1200 m (3,937 ft) (Proposed)
200 Floors
Mixed-use

Burj Dubai
Emaar Properties
818m (2,684 ft) (Estimated)
160 Floors
Mixed-use

Pentominium
Trident International Holding
516 m (1,692 ft)
120 Floors
Residential

Burj Al Alam
Fortune Group
455 m (1,492 ft)
108 Floors
Residential

Princess Tower

414 m (1,358 ft)
107 Floors
Residential

Marina 101
Rustar Real Estate& Sheffield Real Estate
412 m (1,351 ft)
101 Floors
Mixed-use

Burj Al Arab

321 m (1053 ft)
60 Floors
Hospitality

Jumeirah Emirates Tower Hotel

355 m (1,163 ft)
56 Floors
Hospitality

Emirates Tower One

309 m(1,014 ft)
54 Floors
54 floors

Source:Gowealthy.com
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 05:40 PM   #3315
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3093

Is there any possible way a visitor could get a trip up this tower on a stopover coming home from Europe??? If I change flights to Emairates??? I have gotten permission to visit a few u/c buildings in London and New York in the past...just thought I'd ask???
redbaron_012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 06:14 PM   #3316
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

No you can't visit it.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 06:23 PM   #3317
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

it is very difficult, I have sent many emails to Emaar, Doka etc... but they have never answered
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 06:25 PM   #3318
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Has it already surpassed Taipei 101!?!?!?!?!?!?!

FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 06:59 PM   #3319
Wikidboo

Likes (Received): 0

Can you imagine the view down from 1 of those cranes at the top ?...it looks like the cab has to peer over the edge ....shame we cant get a camera to those guys.

As always, the most interesting forum on the web.
Wikidboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 07:00 PM   #3320
Sky Tower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 67

Not just yet, it's at 506.19m at the moment at L138. I think we'll have a new WTB on Thursday.
Sky Tower no está en línea   Reply With Quote