daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 8th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #3541
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6524

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sock View Post
is the obs deck in burj dubai indoor or outdoor , and how fast will the lifts go.
both
ZZ-II está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #3542
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Cbot - Sure it was a bit of a time problem but the real problems came from meeting the strict manufacture designs and production. The original company also went bankrupt so it took Emaar awhile to find another who could meet the same specifications. The Discovery Channel also mentioned problems with streaking on the original samples of glass and other imperfections that were not up to snuff with what Emaar wanted so that also took time to figure out.

I guess then, the Burj is just a unique, special case in how the glass situation has panned out. I mean, in the TDC special, Ivan Bruenick (sp) or someone else even said normally the glass should be relatively close behind the core on a regular tower, yet here it's barely started. As long as it gets done though so interior works can finish (you can already see they're doing a ton of partitioning and ductwork on floors 5 - ~30 as it is), that's what's important.

Don't worry though, these threads are HUGE and one would have to be quite patient to look through the info even if it was mentioned before. No worries man.
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #3543
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

^ cool, thanks for the explanation.
cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #3544
vinouz

Likes (Received): 1

I'm also wondering the same. Hope nothing bad happened to him !

Vincent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalliTooL View Post
Where's joobn and his daily pic updates?
vinouz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #3545
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

The Burj behind The Old Town Island

[IMG]http://i15.************/6h52p1v.jpg[/IMG]
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #3546
Dubai Spacescraper

Near Exact Hight, Taipei gets pwnd

[IMG]http://i10.************/52e1baq.jpg[/IMG]
Dubai Spacescraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #3547
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

The Burj Dubai from The Old Town July 07

[IMG]http://i11.************/5xq1zs7.jpg[/IMG]

Burj Dubai looking over Old Town Island

[IMG]http://i15.************/542a1ps.jpg[/IMG]
Old July 8th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #3548
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6524

awesome pics OldTownResident!!
ZZ-II está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #3549
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
awesome pics OldTownResident!!
Thanks ZZ, Pity about the humidity and sweat on the lens. Also the two moons in the first pic.
Old July 8th, 2007, 11:39 PM   #3550
baq
Fan Mazur

Likes (Received): 22

Great pics of a really great buliding. Respect
Old July 9th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #3551
Sky Tower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinouz View Post
Hi Sky.

If the original post pointed to this alys.be url, why is it now pointing to ndac.org.uk ? This link was supposedly posted prior to you sourcing it, if I get correctly.

Vincent.
What original post.....the original post wasn't even here at SSC it was 3 days earlier at SSP? I was the first person to post it here!
Sky Tower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 02:17 AM   #3552
Sky Tower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 67

The only other posts I can find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechE
Thank you Slugbelch, your very welcome. I'm glad you got to it first. There are only a few people I would like to have found it and you were one of the one's.
Don't worry, I'll be keeping an eye out from a distance.
It is more than my jobs worth to stick around too long. Paranoia is rife in my line of work at the moment.

A few hints:

Pinnacle still not dicided on as far as I know.

Alterations are currently going on to the existing structure.

Cladding not expected iminently.

Futuristic observation deck floors are to be glass bottomed portholes down through level 123 and glass sided winglets on levels 123 and 124 and unlike nothing anyone has ever seen before.

Interactive digital zoom photography in skydeck, shoot and print surrounding area in seconds in viewing gallery.

Office block risen by 3 more floors.

Integrated fiber optics in curtain wall for the most spectacular lighting displays.

Unseen re-design to garden/fountain/lake area and Palm Boulevard.

Counterbalance gimble considered but rejected.

Laser show spire to pierce the night sky.

Currently 6 month topping out delay from original schedule and a 10 month delay until finished.

Re-design changes start at level 72.

Average floor height increased on all upper levels creating a more slender pointy arrowlike shape.

Useable roof height (VIP Skydeck) +760m.

Lower Observation decks, levels 123/124 +478m.

Highest exterior balcony +915m.

Nothing would surprise me more if these figure change again, but rest assured one thing. They are never lowered, only raised.

I've said too much already. I will check back again only if I get any more changes. Thanks to all.

A Friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googlepeakoil

I have built HTML sites for 10+ years so thought I'd look at the code of that guy claiming 1011m.
So that page brings up a lot of crap code (possibly because it's an intranet site)
http://www.ndac.org.uk/intranet/besi...5.2/7.5.2.html
However one interesting thing NOBODY has yet pointed out is that there's a clue as to WHAT company this was taken from right in the code!

People spotted:
<!-- Copyright 2006 BESIX Group. All rights reserved. -->

but they didn't notice the META tag mentioning the company that the page was taken from...
<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Created by Tecton Interactive Presentations Ltd" />
<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Date= Aug 21st 2006" />

Tecton Interactive is the SOURCE of the company that has leaked this data about 1011m etc (if this is true and NOT a hoax?). They are a company that produces stuff for other companies - one of them BESIX. BESIX is NOT the source according to this page. This possibly explains the crappy Besix login page (maybe its for an internal demo meeting only so isn't a full password protected page).
Is it not possible that BESIX commissioned this company to create marketing stuff for a newer version between 800-1011 metres tall?
Google Tecton Interactive and you will spot that BESIX is a client of this company!

That 808meter super-detailed pdf I found said the date of those plans WAS way back in mid 2005. Is it not possible they've redesigned it (as the guy said) to use the floorspace above 160 more effectively?
Maybe they've been hearing about the Kuwait building that migth be 1001 metres and so have redesigned for 1011?
Look back at the history of skyscrapers and read about how many times the Chrysler buildings height was changed 5+ times at least (there's an excellent book about the rivalry between Woolworth, Chrysler and Empire State) and nobody thought they'd put that giant spire on Chrysler - the original design was blunt tipped - just like the Burj Dubai! They snuck it up the inside - just like SOM are planning on doing here (as revealed in that pdf).
Maybe one of the reasons why they don't mind 808metres being leaked by so many sources (BESIX, that pdf, etc) is because it HAS been redesigned again!

The only way we're going to tell if this is true if setbacks go HIGHER than they're supposed to - if the guy says redesign affects floors 75+ only then setbacks will be delayed.

The foundations can take a 950metre building (by weight) I would suppose - if the materials are right, carbon fibre, etc as somebody mentioned - who says they can't stick a 50metre spire with setbacks on it? It won't affect the loading - and if nobody's resident up there - who cares if it sways a bit?
Sky Tower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 03:01 AM   #3553
vanhenrik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

Really amazing photos and the Burj Dubai is going to be at least 300m more

And I found some more pics

[IMG]http://i19.************/479f13s.jpg[/IMG]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some early construction shots

May 2004

[IMG]http://i12.************/2ms5ahx.jpg[/IMG]

Dec 2004

[IMG]http://i13.************/486bv5f.jpg[/IMG]

April 2005

[IMG]http://i3.************/4chvv2r.jpg[/IMG]

Dec 2005

[IMG]http://i14.************/30u2upz.jpg[/IMG]

June 2006

[IMG]http://i5.************/2qd7wo5.jpg[/IMG]

Dec 2006

[IMG]http://i14.************/2vcgae1.jpg[/IMG]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[IMG]http://i11.************/4bxzl2f.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i18.************/4ciinhi.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i16.************/2ustoac.jpg[/IMG]
vanhenrik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 03:04 AM   #3554
Dennis
Rotterdam

Likes (Received): 10

OMG, it looks like star wars on those evening pics
Old July 9th, 2007, 03:11 AM   #3555
perfectdark158

Jeez it sure is going up quickly whens it supposed to be finished?
perfectdark158 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 03:39 AM   #3556
burj dubai fan
BANNED

just found this on a website

Construction update:

- Designed by Chicago architects Skidmore, Owings & Merrill for Emaar Properties.
- Will house hotel and condominiums, be largely residential.
- Completion date: June 30, 2009
- 959 meters high, 189 - 200 floors?
- An observation deck will be located on the 124th floor.
- The top residential level will only be 8 meters wide.
- Will have the fastest elevators in the world with a speed of 700m/min (42.3 kmh / 26.1 mph)
- When finished, It will be almost 40% taller than the the current tallest building, the Taipei 101.
http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2007...ilding-in.html
burj dubai fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 03:52 AM   #3557
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Holy Crap - MR Tower!

- I would like a copy of your 6000 word article to National Geographic.

- I would like a copy of your Burj construction book or DVD when finished.

- I would like any and all pics you have of early site prep, excavation, piling, etc as my list of early shots is very limited.

- I would like you to use your influence to get The Skyscraper Museum to send me all their pics as it looks like they have many I don't have. I emailed them but alas, I am only a peon ...

- I would like many pics and any transcripts of the presentations from your Skyscraper Day from the Burj.

- I would like many many pics of the Burj when you get your apartment there.

Last but not least:

- I would like you to adopt me and take me to the Burj

Old July 9th, 2007, 04:33 AM   #3558
MetalliTooL

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Tower View Post
Please feel free to use the ignore button!
I have tirelessly answered the same questions over and over again.

Random person!!!

I spend a lot of time devoted to learning about this tower and have done from it's first inception 4 years ago, before any groundbreaking.
As you know, my figures come direct from source, not what it's PR driven cloaking company like EMAAR's pre fabricate figures, issued to a non realated party without signing a confidentiality clause smells a bit whiffy to me!
I've dealt with EMAAR, Samsung, Al Abbar, Besix, ME Aluminium and I've spoken to it's designer Adrian Smith and I have an ongoing working relationship with Duncan McKensie the towers Chief Engineer.
I engage in talks with SOM's PR girls and I keep in contact with the offices of Adrian Smith & Gordon Gill Architecture.
I was the only forumer to secure an interview with Adrian Smith himself, I've done Q+A with the directors of SOM and I've produced the first Construction Forum Podcast on the Burj Dubai Tower and written a 6000 word article in January's edition of National Geographic and November's issue of Skyscraper Magazine on the Burj Dubai Tower.
I have complete DNS and FTP access to this forum including advertising, backlinking and P.R. rights (meaning I can update, upgrade, install and uninstall whatever and whenever I choose.....including user accounts )
I host and administrate SSP too and I administer and run AAS with Richie Gill.
Richie and I are also hosting the worlds first skyscraper day at the Burj Dubai Tower next year. I will be giving seminars and we will have 6 guest speakers on the Burj Dubai (tickets for sale, enquiries at [email protected])
About ten feet away from me is the whole backup files for SSC, SSP, and AAS and so is it's archive of the Burj Dubai Tower since day one.
I will be compiling and Almanac of it's construction in great detail, in hardback book and on DVD.
I own 3 website dedicated to the Burj Dubai and to top it off I've just bought a 3 bedroomed, 3 bathroomed apartment on the 59th floor of the Burj Dubai.
I'm setting it up to be a 25 way "Fractional Ownership" timeshare apartment (contact [email protected] for prices and information....new website coming soon)
MetalliTool, the pure simple fact is.....I seem to know a hell of a lot about the tower because I spend many hours making sure I do. I have the right contacts, friends, business partners and find many entrepenuerial angles for getting information out of people that don't want to give it.
It's what I do for a living, make people do what I want them to do.
So you just hit that little ignore button and let some forumers who actually feel comfortable asking sensible questions get one in edgeways.
We are all here to learn, especially me.
Right. And unless I see some proof, you ARE just a random person on a messageboard. I could say I'm the Sheik of Dubai. That's not going to make it true.
MetalliTooL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 06:24 AM   #3559
>skyscraper<

Likes (Received): 0

in this week will be Burj Dubai the tallest skyscraper in the world, or?
>skyscraper< no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 10:29 AM   #3560
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 32

The posts are getting whackier & freakier.

Where is a nice 'n simple but fab Imre update when you need one?

..and thanks for posting a trip down memory lane vanhenrik
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote