daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 17th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #3961
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie Maea View Post
Here's a picture of the guy who bought floor 216.
he should better buy a room in a hospital
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #3962
MetalliTooL

Likes (Received): 20

Judging by the render, it looks like L187 is realistically the last occupiable floor.
MetalliTooL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 11:46 PM   #3963
BlackSmith!
Peace sells...

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
the floors 113-135 are already 4m tall office floors. so i guess these new floor are between 4.5 and 5m tall.
I was just thinking: The concrete should stop at 586 or so meters thus is level 156. So still 16 floors and 80 meters to go. It that comes right 5m for one floor Seems quite high for me - double the height of my house ceilings
BlackSmith! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 11:55 PM   #3964
Sky Tower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalliTooL View Post
Judging by the render, it looks like L187 is realistically the last occupiable floor.
That sounds about right to me...but just think about this to put things into perspective.

L197 and L198 add up to a total of 374sq/m....that's about the same as my large 4 bedroomed house!

L203 and L204 add up to 220sq/m....that's about the same size as my mothers average (in the UK) 3 bedroomed house!

We see so many photos of the top of this building and so many people remark "Oh, it's really getting thin at the top now"......for those of you who have no idea of the size of the 'uncompleted skinny end'.....it's just under half the area of a football pitch!
Sky Tower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 12:01 AM   #3965
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6555

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban.kovac View Post
I was just thinking: The concrete should stop at 586 or so meters thus is level 156. So still 16 floors and 80 meters to go. It that comes right 5m for one floor Seems quite high for me - double the height of my house ceilings
indeed 5m is tall but...lots of us thought that level 138 will be already 507m tall. now in reality lvl. 140 is. so maybe the concrete will not stop at 586m.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 01:50 AM   #3966
Krom

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
gee the lake will be only 5ft deep?
He, don't forget it's the middle of the desert.

(Hi, this is my first post, this forum is so cool. I'm from Switzerland, near Lausanne, where the last fancy building in preparation has only 1 storey.)
Krom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 02:12 AM   #3967
MetalliTooL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Tower View Post
Whatever figures EMAAR announce on Saturday, it'll be wrong.....worse still....deliberately wrong!

All of the news statements, many of which have been posted here have derived from just one carefully orchestrated 2 minute news announcement from the PR guys at EMAAR.

You may ask..."Why on earth would they?"...and the answer is....it's a future WTB in the making and they will continue to pour out their smokescreen for as long as possible, to keep everyone guessing and create more interest (confirmed with my interview of Adrian Smith)

That would make sense, if the numbers they gave us were significantly different from the truth. But right now these numbers differ by about 8 meters. What's the point of that? They wouldn't bother.
Old July 18th, 2007, 02:15 AM   #3968
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10230

just on that 818m render you nicely detailed for us skytower, i dont think Burj Dubai will have officially 200+ floors. It will have 160 occupiable floors which is what Emporis rules will indicate.
where you have lev187 is 701m mark or tier22 is where highest "habitable" floor will be as indicated on official plans.
lev204= tier27 or 768m or where pinnacle starts.
cheers
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 02:19 AM   #3969
vinouz

Likes (Received): 1

Imre,

Between your july 16th and july 17th updates, I've notived 38 added panels.

Did you take these photos at the same hour of the day ? What is the time difference, if not ?

Thanks,

Vincent.
vinouz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 02:30 AM   #3970
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Alloy View Post
ESB has 102 floors. The 102nd floor is a premium observation deck in what was originally a zeppelin docking station on top of the building.
The top of ESB was used ONCE as a zeppelin docking station, as it was just too dangerous. nice idea at the time.lol

just think Burj Dubais lev124 ob deck will be about as high as ESBs antenna!!

CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 02:48 AM   #3971
MetalliTooL

Why is the glass looking so spotty?

http://img403.imageshack.us/my.php?i...esolt03nu8.jpg
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/7...esolt02zi5.jpg
Old July 18th, 2007, 03:38 AM   #3972
vanhenrik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
i think it is the moyster in the air wo do this
vanhenrik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 03:40 AM   #3973
vanhenrik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

my belive is that the concrete strukture is going to be finiched by the end of this year
vanhenrik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 03:45 AM   #3974
Sky Tower
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Sky Tower will find this quote interesting:

"All elevations are referenced to Building Reference Datum 0.000m = +11.500m Dubai Municipality Datum (DMD)"

Quote:
Thanks Altin, maybe if another 10 articles of this nature were written before, a few other non believers in what I've been posting with regards to datum heights, podium heights, artificial ground heights, last completed floor heights, pinnacle of construction height, total constuction height since December.

For those people who want to know what these heights are, they can PM me.....as it causes too much grief from Burj trolls to put them on the forum.

By the way the true datum ground height of BD surpassed Tapei 101 on 21st June 2007....from the same point where Taipei 101 is measured from.

Dubai Municipality Datum (DMD) is currently set at 1.13m above sea level. (exactly the height that the Al Burj datum was recently set)

Local natural ground level at the site is 12.63m above sea level (also confirmed a fair average height of the local area on Google Earth) with a GPS monitoring station located to recieve it's reading (building reference 0.000m) at 12.35m above sea level or 11.22m above datum ground.

From the building reference point (GPS) the pinnacle of construction reached 510.39m at 07.00 UAE time of July 4th.

We already have a WTB, but most of you will go by what you're spoonfed!

Once again, thank you Altin
Quote:
Whatever figures EMAAR announce on Saturday, it'll be wrong.....worse still....deliberately wrong!

All of the news statements, many of which have been posted here have derived from just one carefully orchestrated 2 minute news announcement from the PR guys at EMAAR.

You may ask..."Why on earth would they?"...and the answer is....it's a future WTB in the making and they will continue to pour out their smokescreen for as long as possible, to keep everyone guessing and create more interest (confirmed with my interview of Adrian Smith)

In the somewhat comical 14 point mandate in the EMAAR "Burj Dubai" policy contracts...number 2.4.2.1 was "Under no circumstances imply, infer, cofirm or deny company policy or procedure with regards to the building's potential, current under construction or final finished dimensions, including all heights, widths, quantaties or timeline for any works, integral to; but not excluding 3rd party contractees in trustee of contractual obligations to the integrity of the 'the contract', with special reference being directed to the 'companies' public relations department, if a point of denial of knowing such information cannot be honored or pre approved responses cannot be stated verbatum (see terms and condtions 8.1.3).

The comical part is that the last section 2.4.2.14 states...."Under no circumstances imply, infer, cofirm or deny company policy or procedure with regards to the building's potential, current under construction or final finished dimensions, including all heights, widths, quantaties or timeline for any works, integral to; but not excluding 3rd party contractees in trustee of contractual obligations to the integrity of the 'the contract', with special reference being directed to the 'companies' public relations department, if a point of denial of knowing such information cannot be honored or pre approved responses cannot be stated verbatum (see terms and condtions 8.1.3).....which if you notice is exacly the same as the first point in the contract.

Amazingly, EMAAR and it's contractees are so paranoid that anyone could find out what the final or current heights are (which would allow for accurate estimating the final height) that all members are contractually obliged to refer all answers to the PR department....if they can't lie or remember their lines!
Quote:
That would make sense, if the numbers they gave us were significantly different from the truth. But right now these numbers differ by about 8 meters. What's the point of that? They wouldn't bother.
That's only because I'm giving the podium height figures.

The true current height from datum ground to the pinnacle of construction is 527.52m....but that just confuses the shit outta everybody!

That's a 22.2m deviation from the truth less than two thirds of the way into construction.

That's like having a celebration of it topping out and being shown it's 818m on burjdubai.com, then being confirmed on official measurement it's actually 851.3m.

That's a massive PR desception!
Old July 18th, 2007, 04:05 AM   #3975
Sky Tower
BANNED

Do you guys not watch the news anyway?

Reuters (the worlds internation news agency) posted it on RSS feeds for the worlds media.

Fox news and the BBC ran the feed on the 14th. Nobody else wanted to run it!

CNN and Time Magazine ran it on the 12th when it came from Reuters.

http://time-blog.com/middle_east/200...lest_buil.html

I phoned the BBC on the 4th July and all I got was "Nobody's interested in that...anyway there's terror stuff on today which is quite big!"

My retort was "...yes...but that was on yesterday....and it'll be on again tomorrow....it's always on the news....this is the tallest highrise building in the world....it's just passed Tapei 101!"

"Tie what 01?....anyway....we're sorted for news today...call back another time!" Beeeeeeeep!!!

The poor guy has no skyscrapers in his life......just imagine that?
Old July 18th, 2007, 04:09 AM   #3976
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

Poor soul!! Hes going to rot in hell :S

Quote:
That's a massive PR desception!
And what else is PR for?

I brought up the PR argument a few weeks ago, and I find it facinating
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 04:09 AM   #3977
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinouz View Post
Imre,

Between your july 16th and july 17th updates, I've notived 38 added panels.

Did you take these photos at the same hour of the day ? What is the time difference, if not ?

Thanks,

Vincent.
on 16th July I was there 11:13-11:21
17th 14:46-14:59

almost the same time because from 12:30 to 15:00 is a break time now.
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 07:11 AM   #3978
MetalliTooL

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhenrik View Post
i think it is the moyster in the air wo do this

Actually it looks like they've just been washed or something. But it would be strange if they already started washing them at this stage...
Old July 18th, 2007, 07:52 AM   #3979
Captain Chaos

Likes (Received): 240

You reckon it's dirt causing spots on the windows? I'm not so sure given the way it looks.

Having experienced life in Dubai, what immediately springs to mind is the humidity in the air forming condensation on the windows, especially at this time of year. I know sections of those windows are still open to the elements, but there is still probably a significant heat difference between the inside and out. I'm with vanhenrik on this but unless someone sees it in person and can ctaegorically confirm this for us we'll never know! Just like the exact height of the building... pretty pointless discussion seeing as most of us here can only speculate.

Last edited by Captain Chaos; July 18th, 2007 at 08:05 AM.
Captain Chaos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #3980
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

18/July/2007

Burj Dubai

early morning

Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote