daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 24th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #21
Sky Tower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 67

It's still mockup glass, the real thing should be bluer/greener and more mirrored....but those stainless steel external flutes are gorgeous!
Sky Tower no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2007, 10:00 PM   #22
MetalliTooL

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
yes! its now 436m. or 123fl.
to reach planned lev156 or 586m top of concrete equates to 33 more floors or 150m!
If they rise a floor every 3 days, thats 99 more days before concrete top out or 3months or early August? i wonder if then Emaar will construct all the wings to catch up to lev156 before proceeding with upper steel frame?
It will not rise at 3 days per floor. The last 3 floors took 15 days. And the working conditions will only get more difficult in the summer.
MetalliTooL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 12:19 AM   #23
googlepeakoil

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Tower View Post
It's still mockup glass, the real thing should be bluer/greener and more mirrored....but those stainless steel external flutes are gorgeous!
Personally I'd prefer to see it without those steel bits. It'd look a lot better without it - like the Shanghai's glazing.
What's the point of them steel bits anyway - it only adds to the windsheer load surely.
googlepeakoil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 12:28 AM   #24
Dubai Spacescraper

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlepeakoil View Post
Personally I'd prefer to see it without those steel bits. It'd look a lot better without it - like the Shanghai's glazing.
What's the point of them steel bits anyway - it only adds to the windsheer load surely.
It makes it very reflective, also there is probably some kind of mechanism under it that holds the glass. So it covers it up and adds a more complex look to the design, looks incredable for sure!
Dubai Spacescraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 12:50 AM   #25
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Here I will explain the tier methodology of the Burj Dubai. I will start
from the top using this spire detail pic without elevation numbers as these might have changed.

We can see tier 27 is the pinnacle and is symetrical. The first level ( not actually a level, but I will use this term as it will be applicable for the lower tiers ) has tier 26 terrace before rising up. The terrace is the "roof" of the "wing" below.
Tier 26 is spire level 5, begins with tier 25 terrace then rises up with 1 wing added to the pinnacle.
Tier 25 is spire level 4, begins with tier 24 terrace then rises up with 2 wings.
Tier 24 is spire level 3, begins with tier 23 terrace then rises up symetrically with 3 wings.
Tier 23 is spire level 2, begins with tier 22 terrace then rises up with 1 wing added.
Tier 22 is spire level 1, begins with tier 21 terrace then rises up with 2 wings.
Tier 21 begins with tier 20 terrace then rises up symetrically with 3 wings.
Now I will continue using this spire erection detail pic.

Tiers 20, 19, and 18 continue the trend with adding 1, 2, and 3 wings respectfully. All begin with their first level including the terrace of the wing from the tier below. So tier 18 is symetrical with 3 wings. Tiers 17, 16, and 15 continue the same trend with tier 15 being symetrical with 3 wings.
Now I will use the original elevation plan.

Tiers 14, 13, and 12 continue with adding 1, 2, and 3 wings respectfully and all begin their first level with a terrace of the wing from the tier below. Tier 12 is symetrical and is the first tier that is only the inner core.
Tier 12 begins including the terrace that is the roof of the last setback of the South wing at level 142 then ends at level 146 ( in this drawing ).
Tier 11 begins including the terrace of the last setback of the mall facing wing at level 126 then ends at level 141 ( in this drawing ).
Tier 10 begins including the terrace of the last setback of the SZR facing wing at level 114 then ends at level 125 ( in this drawing ).

The level numbers from here down are correct. Up to level 113 the drawing has been followed exactly.
Tier 9 starts at level 99 including the terrace from setback 3 of the South facing wing then ends at level 113. This tier is symetrical with three 9 meter wings.
Tier 8 starts at level 87 + terrace of setback 3 of the mall wing, then ends at 98.
Tier 7 starts at level 76 + terrace of setback 3 of the SZR wing, then ends at 86.
Tier 6 starts at level 64 + terrace of setback 2 of the south wing, then ends at 75. This tier is symetrical with three 18 meter wings.
Tier 5 starts at level 53 + terrace of setback 2 of the mall wing, then ends at 63.
Tier 4 starts at level 43 + terrace of setback 2 of the SZR wing, then ends at 52.
Tier 3 starts at level 34 + terrace of setback 1 of the south wing, then ends at 42. This tier is symetrical with three 27 meter wings.
Tier 2 starts at level 26 + terrace of setback 1 of the mall wing, then ends at 33.
Tier 1 starts at level 19 + terrace of setback 1 of the SZR wing, then ends at 25.
Tier 0 starts at level 7 + a terrace of podium 3 of all 3 wings, then ends at 18. This tier is symetrical with three 36 meter wings and is the same size as the foundation raft.
This pic may help to put things into perspective.

Disregard the level numbers for the inner core as I believe these have changed.

Podium 3 starts at level 5, includes a terrace from podium 2 on all 3 wings then ends at level 6.
Podium 2 starts at level 3, includes a terrace from podium 1 on all 3 wings then ends at level 4.
Podium 1 starts at the Concourse level or the Ground level depending on which side of the structure then ends at level 2.

Old April 25th, 2007, 12:58 AM   #26
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Here is a comparison of the original elevation plan drawing with a pic taken April 20 '07. I have lined up the pics as best I could with my limited Photoshop skills. The pics are not stretched in any way, just sized so that the levels line up. They do line up nicely, but we can see where the pics meet. There is 5 pics I lined up for this comparison as best I could.

Clearly the level heights match up between the drawing and the pictures almost perfectly showing how the structure is following the drawing exactly up to level 113. If we look at the picture we can see the builders have marked every 5 levels just to the right of the center of the core. The tiny white markers are in between the two worker elevator masts. Many close up pics show these with the numbers clearly.
Starting from the bottom, the level 5 marker is partly hidden by the rebar for the metro pylon. It is even with the top of the rebar, on the right side. As we can see by the drawing ( and by many early pics ) level 5 is 9 1/2 levels above the foundation raft. There is a 1/2 height, non-habitable level between the lowest level in the drawing and the raft. Also the Concourse level is almost double height with the ground level above that and level 1 above that, but rest assured the structure follows the drawing below the level 5 marker perfectly. Also the top level of every Tier is slightly higher than normal both on the drawing and the pics. The top level of tier 0 is level 18, tier 1 is level 25, tier 2 is level 33, and so on.
If we count the levels between the markers on both the pic and the drawing, they correspond exactly. Marker and level 20 is above the first set of mechanical levels. They don't count any as double levels yet. Continue up to marker 45 and we see they have counted a double level ( or "skipped" a level ). It is level 41 that is missing. We can see that level 40 marker is the tallest level of the second set of mechanical levels and there is only 4 levels to marker 45. Again this matches the drawing.
Continuing up we see a worker elevator on level 58. Between marker 70 and 75 they have counted another double level. It is level 73 that is missing, I can't find that number painted on the structure in any pics and the level 73 is the tallest of the third set of mechanical levels. The highest marker placed so far is level 90. Counting up we see the slightly higher than normal level 98, which is the top level of tier 8. 107 is the last normal height level before the fourth mechanical levels. The top level of tier 9 is level 113 so they will have to count 3 double levels to get that number. Again this matches the drawing.
From here up I didn't include the picture for two reasons:
Number 1 it looks to me that the level heights are now going to be increased from those in the drawing. The drawing appears to continue with the same normal height levels and clearly in the pics the levels are higher. I was thinking perhaps they were following the drawing where it says 1/2 floor double height for transformer and switchgear, but the most recent pics show 4 levels over 114 keeping with the increased height.
Number 2 the drawing doesn't make sense for tier 10. It says 12 office floors 114 to 125, but shows 14 levels in tier 10. Tier 11 makes sense being 126 to 141 with 12 office floors ( 126 to 137 ) and one double level in the fifth set of mechanical levels making 141 the top level of tier 11. Also the observation deck is possibly moved down from levels 142-143 to the 120's.
Perhaps we will start seeing the re-design(s) now, beginning at level 114 as I believe the drawing is the 705 meter design because of the way tier 18 ends flat, with a smaller spire continuing up. The newer 808 ( or taller) meter design continues with the spiralling setbacks through to tier 27.

Old April 25th, 2007, 12:58 AM   #27
Adrian Smith fan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

there's not 27 tiers, there's 26. and now looking at the original plan i thing there going to build the 700m verizon. but that's just me

Last edited by Adrian Smith fan; April 25th, 2007 at 01:16 AM.
Adrian Smith fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 01:02 AM   #28
MetalliTooL

Likes (Received): 20

Damn... That's a pretty complicated design.
MetalliTooL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 01:39 AM   #29
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Smith fan View Post
tand now looking at the original plan i thing there going to build the 700m verizon. but that's just me
Why do you keep saying that? We have known for more than a year that the lower parts of the 700 and 800 meter versions are exactly the same. How could you POSSIBLY make ANY conclusion about which it is going to be based on the lower parts???
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 01:49 AM   #30
dubaifan8

where's imre???

i would like to see some of his updates of construction in dubai soon
dubaifan8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 01:56 AM   #31
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Wow at the details... I'm still learning more and more about Burj Dubai! Keep it up!
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 02:23 AM   #32
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaifan8 View Post
where's imre???

i would like to see some of his updates of construction in dubai soon
Imre is around. His car, though, is at the service station getting fixed, I believe. I think I heard he expects to be back on his feet this weekend, so we can all hope....
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 02:57 AM   #33
Escoto_Dubai2008
Dubai, 21st Century City

Likes (Received): 411

I hope to see soon the facade, I think all of us are waiting the same.

Mis Blogs

!Somos seres humanos,....! !Nuestras vidas tienen valor!
Escoto_Dubai2008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 02:58 AM   #34
Adrian Smith fan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie Maea View Post
Why do you keep saying that? We have known for more than a year that the lower parts of the 700 and 800 meter versions are exactly the same. How could you POSSIBLY make ANY conclusion about which it is going to be based on the lower parts???
i didnt know the lower parts of the 700 and 800 meter versions are exactly the same
Adrian Smith fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:19 AM   #35
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5224

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
the glass looks beautiful but it needs a wash
hehe yeah, i have a question.. How do they supposed to wash ALL the windows when the tower is completed?

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:46 AM   #36
aussiescraperman

Likes (Received): 8

those cleaning machines that get chucked of the top of the building and clean everythin. forget what they called.
Old April 25th, 2007, 03:54 AM   #37
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5224

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiescraperman View Post
those cleaning machines that get chucked of the top of the building and clean everythin. forget what they called.
oh. i thought that people will clean the facade hehe oh nevermind..

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 05:11 AM   #38
paul.c.martens

Likes (Received): 4

Playing around:

(ctrl-click to download, merely an intro)

Last edited by paul.c.martens; April 25th, 2007 at 05:18 AM.
paul.c.martens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 05:30 AM   #39
dubaifan8

http://www.joelertola.com/grfx/grfx_..._buildings.jpg

diagram of buildings under construction including burj dubai and how they compare with buildings that are actully built.

p.s. Freedom Tower in diagram is an old design but its still the same height.
dubaifan8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 05:43 AM   #40
paul.c.martens

Likes (Received): 4

Yah, that's from Time Magazine -- its a nice one.
paul.c.martens no está en línea   Reply With Quote