daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 23rd, 2007, 06:01 AM   #4321
philbern
Queefbuster

Likes (Received): 1

I thought everyone knew that this will be the world's tallest. So what's the commotion about this recent news? And yes, once most of the major projects in Dubai are completed, this city will physically razzle dazzle and behold any mortal by the sheer enormity of its ambition and might even attract even the staunchiest of skepticist. Well, will the city become complex on the street level? Or will it be plain looking with locals and tourists milling around and staring at the buildings and sipping Starbucks coffee? That's one thing that is very very hard to copy. Not even Hongkong, Singapore, Shanghai, Kuala Lumpur comes close to New York, London, Paris or most major cities in Europe.

Last edited by philbern; July 23rd, 2007 at 06:10 AM.
philbern no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2007, 06:03 AM   #4322
Lupin

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymyhusband View Post
Make your own opinion:

image hosted on flickr
This diagram makes SWFC look pretty beast, because it doesn't have to cheat to make it past 480m. I like this diagram the best because it has a total 'pixel art' video-gamey type view to it.
Lupin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 06:04 AM   #4323
Lupin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobot View Post

Old shabby homes, new villas, and future skyline rising.
Dubai, July 22nd 2007
Gotta quote the picture; very nice shot. Looks like a high-def still-frame from the next James Bond movie.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 06:15 AM   #4324
Lupin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyrdrail View Post
you guys just dont get it. taipei 101 will continue to be OFFICIALLY the world's tallest UNTIL the council on tall buildings declares burj dubai to be world's tallest. that WILL NOT HAPPEN until burj dubai is completely finished which WILL NOT BE FOR AT LEAST ANOTHER YEAR!!!!

has the council on tall buildings (whatever it's called) OFFICIALLY declared burj dubai world's tallest yet? NO!!! it's not even a building yet, just an open skeleton!!! SO TAIPEI 101 IS STILL OFFICIALLY THE WORLD'S TALLEST!!!! hope i wont have to repeat that, again.
You say this as if it's relevant. Stop teasing us in our moment of glory:

All I know is:
-it's huge.
-it's taller than anything like it, even if no one lives in it yet.
-it's not bending the rules.
-it will be taller than anything unlike it that was made by people. that's badass.
-it's gonna be a hell of a party in dubai when they officially open it.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 06:30 AM   #4325
MetalliTooL

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbern View Post
I thought everyone knew that this will be the world's tallest. So what's the commotion about this recent news?
Uh, because it just became the tallest in the world.
MetalliTooL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 06:48 AM   #4326
Dubai + Chicago

some of the commotion is also that alot of people are just finding out about the burj dubai. a large portion of the world doesnt pay attention to skyscrapers like we all do in this forum and dont even have a clue about the burj dubai or even the current wtb.

we're all really lucky to be able to witness the rising of the burj dubai!
Dubai + Chicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 07:28 AM   #4327
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10144

found this on the net.even looks tall at 705m. lets hope they stick to 818m

image hosted on flickr
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 08:42 AM   #4328
sky limit

How come near the top of the BD there are a few parts where its side is simply flat?
sky limit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 08:47 AM   #4329
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

because the floors below those areas are going to rise.
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 08:52 AM   #4330
thyrdrail
BANNED

i'm curious if the top upper floors of burj dubai will be completely occupied. how many of you will want to live on those upper floors so high up in the sky? not me. in the back of my mind i think i'll always be thinking of power outages, fires, plane crashes, terrorist acts. my limit would be the 100th floor. but the 150th or 160th floor? i dont think so!!!! i mean, that upper tower is so incredibly thin, if a 777 crashes into it it will just break the tower into pieces!! how will the firemen even put out a fire that high up in the sky? (i'm a practical thinker and realist. )

what about you all? would you live all the way at the top of the building?
thyrdrail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 08:57 AM   #4331
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

hell yeah i'd live up there! but i dont think that people will be living up that high anyway. will they?
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 08:58 AM   #4332
-Corey-
Je suis tout vous

Likes (Received): 5224

Quote:
i'm curious if the top upper floors of burj dubai will be completely occupied. how many of you will want to live on those upper floors so high up in the sky? not me. in the back of my mind i think i'll always be thinking of power outages, fires, plane crashes, terrorist acts. my limit would be the 100th floor. but the 150th or 160th floor? i dont think so!!!! i mean, that upper tower is so incredibly thin, if a 777 crashes into it it will just break the tower into pieces!! how will the firemen even put out a fire that high up in the sky? (i'm a practical thinker and realist. )

I wouldnt live there.. My limit would be 350 - 400 meters height

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 09:00 AM   #4333
-Corey-
Je suis tout vous

Likes (Received): 5224

From YAHOO!
By BARBARA SURK, Associated Press Writer
Sat Jul 21, 7:27 PM ET

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Developers of a 1,680-foot skyscraper still under construction in oil-rich Dubai claimed Saturday that it has become the world's tallest building, surpassing Taiwan's Taipei 101 which has dominated the global skyline at 1,667 feet since 2004.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Burj Dubai is expected to be finished by the end of 2008 and its planned final height has been kept secret. The state-owned development company Emaar Properties, one of the main builders in rapidly developing Dubai, said only that the tower would stop somewhere above 2,275 feet.

When completed, the skyscraper will feature more than 160 floors, 56 elevators, luxury apartments, boutiques, swimming pools, spas, exclusive corporate suites, Italian fashion designer Giorgio Armani's first hotel, and a 124th floor observation platform.

After North American and Asian cities marked their 20th century economic booms with skyscrapers, the Gulf grew eager to show off its success with ever taller buildings. In Dubai, long an oil-rich Gulf symbol of rapid economic growth, the building reflects the city's hunger for global prestige.

"It's a symbol of Dubai as a city of the world," said Greg Sang, the project director for Emaar Properties.

Mohammed Ali Alabbar, chairman of Emaar, said it will be an architectural and engineering masterpiece of concrete, steel and glass. Dubai has "resisted the usual and has inspired to build a global icon," he said.

"It's a human achievement without equal."

The $1 billion skyscraper is in the heart of downtown Dubai, a 500-acre development area worth $20 billion. Construction, which began just 1,276 days ago, has been frenzied — at times, one storey rises every three days.

The tip of the Burj's spire will be seen for 60 miles, developers say. But Sang knows it will not dominate the world's skyline forever.

"It's a fact of life that, at some point, someone else will build a taller building," he said. "There's a lot of talk of other tall buildings, but five years into Burj Dubai's construction, no one's started building them yet," he said.

Previous skyscraper record-holders include New York's Empire State Building at 1,250 feet; Shanghai's Jin Mao Building at 1,381 feet; Chicago's Sears Tower at 1,451 feet; and Malaysia's Petronas Towers at 1,483 feet.

The Burj will let the Middle East reclaim the world's tallest structure. Egypt's Great Pyramid of Giza, built around 2500 B.C., held the title with its 481 feet until the Eiffel Tower in Paris was built in 1889 at a height of 985 feet, or 1,023 feet including the flag pole.

The company says the Burj will fulfill the Chicago-based Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat's four criteria for the tallest building: the height of the structural top, the highest occupied floor, the roof's top, and the spire's tip, pinnacle, antenna, mast or flag pole.

For now, the unattractive brownish concrete skeleton jutting into Dubai's humid skies lacks any aura of a masterpiece. Rising 141 floors with a mass of surrounding cranes and girders, it has no windows, glass or steel yet.

The architects and engineers are American and the main building contractor is South Korean.

Most of the 4,000 laborers are Indian. They toil around the clock in Dubai's sizzling summer with no set minimum wage. Human rights groups regularly protest against labor abuse in Dubai, but local media rarely report such complaints.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070721/...llest_building

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 09:43 AM   #4334
Mr. Alloy
Modulator

Likes (Received): 2

Quick photoshop:

The Original:
http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2...-burj-1812.jpg

(Or Dec. 30, 2008. Whatev.)

Guess the final height of the Burj Dubai and get a shiny plaque!
Mr. Alloy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 10:15 AM   #4335
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3663

The News is everywhere ccomplimenting that it's now officially world tallest!

Congratulations!

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve to budete rekli moe i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 10:40 AM   #4336
s a s h a
Northitalian user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
The News is everywhere ccomplimenting that it's now officially world tallest!

Congratulations!
"On 20 July 2007, the head of the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH), Antony Wood, has confirmed that it "has now surpassed the height of Taipei 101 structurally (concrete)." [4] However, he also added "We will not classify it as a building until it is complete, clad and at least partially open for business to avoid things like the Ryungyong [sic] project. Taipei 101 is thus officially the world's tallest until that happens." The CN Tower, in Toronto, Canada, remains for now the tallest free-standing-structure at 553 m (1,814 ft), which the Burj Dubai will surpass sometime this year.[3]"
s a s h a no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 10:40 AM   #4337
Durbsboi
East Coast Massiv

Likes (Received): 142

Worlds tallest & still growing! congrats!

didnt know that samsung were building this.

Bucket Facebook Page
Durbsboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 10:42 AM   #4338
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3404

Quote:

There haven`t been any terrorist attack in Dubai. Not like in New York, London, Madrid or Oklahoma City. Dubai is safe and i would like to live there. I already have been there 2 times and i will come again.

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 10:44 AM   #4339
Durbsboi
East Coast Massiv

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by s a s h a View Post
"On 20 July 2007, the head of the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH), Antony Wood, has confirmed that it "has now surpassed the height of Taipei 101 structurally (concrete)." [4] However, he also added "We will not classify it as a building until it is complete, clad and at least partially open for business to avoid things like the Ryungyong [sic] project. Taipei 101 is thus officially the world's tallest until that happens." The CN Tower, in Toronto, Canada, remains for now the tallest free-standing-structure at 553 m (1,814 ft), which the Burj Dubai will surpass sometime this year.[3]"
Yes, same was said fr Tapei 101 when it was complete, only until the building was officially opened, then it was proclaimed the worlds tallest building.

Bucket Facebook Page
Durbsboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 10:49 AM   #4340
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Good job, now CLADDING, goddamn it!

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote