daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 25th, 2007, 12:04 AM   #4401
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

no one knows that. the final height will be held as a secred until the tower is completed
ZZ-II está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:05 AM   #4402
Rarewereld

Likes (Received): 0

Want to to join the most impresive construction in the world...:)

Where can if find a recruitment agency for jobs in the burj....

And not only pouring concrete...
Rarewereld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 01:06 AM   #4403
Sentient Seas
Industrial Twilight

Likes (Received): 42

Hell I'd take any job in Dubai...
Or in any big city at that, I miss living in the city.
Old July 25th, 2007, 01:10 AM   #4404
Kilik

Ive been in NYC last month and saw ( I went on top of it too ) the empire state building... It was so HUGE!

But in the diagram u made, The empire is so small compared to Burj Dubai...

Cant imagine something that big
Old July 25th, 2007, 01:18 AM   #4405
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilik View Post
Ive been in NYC last month and saw ( I went on top of it too ) the empire state building... It was so HUGE!

I went on top of the Stratosphere tower too, it was so huge..

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 01:55 AM   #4406
Sentient Seas
Industrial Twilight

Likes (Received): 42

Yeah, just imagine what being atop this one would be like...
Old July 25th, 2007, 02:24 AM   #4407
phillybud

Likes (Received): 35

My edifice is bigger than yours ...

FONT="System"][/FONT]In my view, a building should NOT be declared the "tallest", "largest", "widest" etc until it is completed. It is still under construction. It is not a complete functional building yet. It's is okay to state that 'the Burj Dubai - which is still under construction - has reached a height surpassing that of the tallest building in the world, the Taipei 101 ...' I don't want to seem petty, but let's wait a little longer and proclaim it the tallest building in the world when the ribbon is cut during the opening ceremonies.
phillybud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 02:55 AM   #4408
Endimion17

Likes (Received): 2

Yeah, we still can't call it "the tallest building" or "the tallest skyscraper" because it's not finished.
But when it gets higher than 646.38 m, we will be able to call it "the tallest structure" because "structure" encompasses everything, and its construction status won't be important. It is a structure, it is the tallest ever and that's enough.

BTW, I'm not fond of architect's opinion where the observation deck should be. Why didn't they put it higher? They're building a mammoth and you can't climb higher than floor #124. That's ridiculous. And what about enormous floors close to the top? Lots of floors with different heights...
What will be up there? Technical equipment?
Old July 25th, 2007, 04:30 AM   #4409
Kilik

At least Dubai people will have a place to hide if the sea rise 50 meters like some crazy nuts scientists say haha !
Old July 25th, 2007, 04:47 AM   #4410
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endimion17 View Post
Yeah, we still can't call it "the tallest building" or "the tallest skyscraper" because it's not finished.
But when it gets higher than 646.38 m, we will be able to call it "the tallest structure" because "structure" encompasses everything, and its construction status won't be important. It is a structure, it is the tallest ever and that's enough.

BTW, I'm not fond of architect's opinion where the observation deck should be. Why didn't they put it higher? They're building a mammoth and you can't climb higher than floor #124. That's ridiculous. And what about enormous floors close to the top? Lots of floors with different heights...
What will be up there? Technical equipment?
Actually it is not just architect's decisions. Architects/designers are doing their jobs what their clients told them to. In the general, its clients' decisions to place where the observation deck they want to.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 04:55 AM   #4411
bnet504

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sock View Post
great little video, why use indian labourers who need training and not skilled bricklayers?
I'd be willing to say the construction workers receive very low pay when compared to other skilled construction jobs in other parts of the developed world. Saving money is probably what the higher-ups had in mind when they decided not to hire skilled workers who already knew how to lay bricks for the mechanical floors. They figured they could just get the laborers to practice laying the bricks for a while until they can produce something of acceptable quality then continue paying them the same or just a little more than the other workers.

But I'm just speculating, I have no idea of the typical pay for immigrant construction workers in Dubai.

Last edited by bnet504; July 25th, 2007 at 05:02 AM.
bnet504 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 05:11 AM   #4412
Dr_Strangelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnet504 View Post
I'd be willing to say the construction workers receive very low pay when compared to other skilled construction jobs in other parts of the developed world. Saving money is probably what the higher-ups had in mind when they decided not to hire skilled workers who already knew how to lay bricks for the mechanical floors. They figured they could just get the laborers to practice laying the bricks for a while until they can produce something of acceptable quality then continue paying them the same or just a little more than the other workers.

But I'm just speculating, I have no idea of the typical pay for immigrant construction workers in Dubai.
To give you an idea, Indian (usually) immigrant workers in Dubai are like Mexicans in the US. Many of them are horribly taken advantage of by lying companies that promise them big pay. The Indian often have to pay ~9000 AED to get a passport for a job that pays ~1500 AED a month, and then end up getting paid ~300 AED a month instead ( that was an example I read about from the top of my head ). Then, the company keeps the workers passport so they can't go home.

There are many stories about it in the paper here every day. It really pisses me off.
Dr_Strangelove no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 05:14 AM   #4413
Dr_Strangelove

Quote:

A lot of the construction has a strange look about it. The materials are top-notch, but the execution is a bit lacking. Sort of like the entire country went to Home Depot and started building instead of trained professionals. Like the construction projects inside my house!
Dr_Strangelove no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 06:14 AM   #4414
MetalliTooL

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
According to Human Rights Watch, it's between $106 and $250 a month.
MetalliTooL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 06:23 AM   #4415
great184
visionary

Likes (Received): 281

Poor dudes they do have a labor union there right?

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1536278
great184 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 07:28 AM   #4416
Gendo

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalliTooL View Post
According to Human Rights Watch, it's between $106 and $250 a month.
Perhaps that in itself helps explain why Dubai has been able to build all these glamorous skyscrapers, practically overnight.

I make that in a day, not a month. You CAN'T pay people that kind of shit wage to build ANYTHING, let alone skyscrapers, in the US. You're talking more like $15-50 PER HOUR depending on what your exact job description is. Hell the average tower crane operator is probably making more like $80 per hour. Low end concrete guys are likely making around $15-20 per hour. Everyone else fits in between the two. That's a very basic pay scale example for American construction workers.

I would hope Burj Dubai immigrant construction workers are making better money than the average Dubai immigrant construction worker is.

Pay people a shit wage, and you'll most likely get a shit job done for it. Would not want to wake up to news of this thing's collapse because of shoddy construction work.

Last edited by Gendo; July 25th, 2007 at 07:42 AM.
Gendo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 07:51 AM   #4417
iMike

Tallest Building

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
nobody will change the title because the tower is not completed
That's horse shit. Who cares if the CTUBH doesn't officially recognize it as the tallest building. The title should be changed here on this forum!!!!!
iMike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 07:55 AM   #4418
iMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilik View Post

Yeah the Empire State Building IS freaking HUGEEEEE.. Dominating the tri-state area skyline. I can only imagine how Burj Dubai looks now and even worse in the furture when it's complete.

p.s. Love montreal dude.. I was just there for the Festival de Jazz.
iMike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 09:06 AM   #4419
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10144

if you put current Burj Dubai concrete shell infront of taipei101, you would completly hide it. game over.lol
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 09:20 AM   #4420
Dubai_Boy
I love Abu Dhabi.

Likes (Received): 2437

O.+